• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

Anyanka

infinityBCRT said:
Plus you've gotta figure they are gonna put some hard ass secret to figure out in the game. I remember it took a while for people to figure out how to unlock Liu Kang in Deception because it was only on a specific day of the month that you'd find him.

It took less than a week. That counts for a while? Maybe in an era where most secrets are known before release.

I don't have much hope for secrets in this game but the hoaxes and rumors should be good. MKDA "Super unlockable" all over again.

Lothars

Green Mamba said:
I feel really comfortable saying Quan Chi is a better character than a lot of the MK3-MKT added characters.

yup he is, the other character that I find just as good is Kenshi.

I doubt Rain and Robo-Smoke are in. Boon asked about the DLC characters in mid-January and we now know that people were trying to bury the full character select screenshot since mid-February. So they've likely had the final roster locked down for months now.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I've just thought of something... Cyborg Sub's "headset" blades and the cyborg dreds remind me of the Skaarj in Epic Games' Unreal universe.

MK characters also appeared in Unreal Championship 2, a successor to the first game which is an X-Box port of Unreal Tournament 2003. Malcom (sp) is the main character of the UT games so...

Malcom in 360 MK9!? Cliffy didn't lie, yo!

Struct09

infinityBCRT said:
Also, Rain is probably a secret character in the game. He along with Robo smoke were the first guys mentioned for DLC. If I were to garner a guess, they decided to move them into the game because a ton of shit was spoiled via the text leaks and they need some secrets. Kintaro would probably fall under that secret character umbrella as well.

If they decided to make Rain and Robo Smoke secret characters in the core game, it's not going to be because of the leaks. The game would have been finalized by that point, they wouldn't have time to implement such things.

DatBreh

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I'm wondering what Cyber Sub-Zero will be like. He'll probably have all new moves because he's a separate character, otherwise he wouldn't get his own slot, he'd just be an alternate costume.

Actually maybe it is just an alt. It says his name is Sub-Zero.

Well they dont call the other 2 cyber ninjas Cyber Cyrax and Cyber Sektor. In MK3 they didnt call smoke Cyber Smoke. He was just Smoke.

Anyanka said:
It took less than a week. That counts for a while? Maybe in an era where most secrets are known before release.

I don't have much hope for secrets in this game but the hoaxes and rumors should be good. MKDA "Super unlockable" all over again.

I guess the upshot is that they could always patch in unlockables. Or include them in DLC packs. They could make Rain/Robo Smoke unlockable if you buy Kenshi/Skarlett.

With all of the leaks, the way to go for the next game is to not mention them at all in achievements and to enable them in post-release so that there aren't major leaks like this.

I wonder if they are still doing that auto patch thing. If so it would be cool if they put in secret characters to fight over time and kept secrets fresh.

fernoca

giancarlo123x said:
I wonder if they are still doing that auto patch thing. If so it would be cool if they put in secret characters to fight over time and kept secrets fresh.
The "auto patch" only lets them fix/tune aspects of game. They can't add (or remove) moves, characters, unlocks.

It's basically for balancing purposes.

mr. puppy

Banned
who is Quan Chi? Is he a good design or is he like the crap characters from the last 5 mortal kombat games that nobody played?

also why isn't shao kahn on the screen, isn't he playable? i guess DLC?

fernoca

mr. puppy said:
who is Quan Chi? Is he a good design or is he like the crap characters from the last 5 mortal kombat games that nobody played?
Taking aside the fact that the last "5 games nobody played" sold over 2 million copies, each...Quan Chi was introduced in the Mythologies -spinoff- game, and in MK4 as a fighter.

It's a sorcerer that lives in the Netherrealm. Was originally an Oni (i.e. creature) but changed his body through sorcery. He lives around creating false alliances, only to follow his own motives.

Story-wise he was quite relevant in the original cannon:

fernoca said:
Well, Quan Chi is a key part of the story in the originals and this one; and had/has ties with most of the characters; more so than many characters.
Helped Shao Kahn and Shant Tsung into resurrecting Sindel.
His rivalry with Sub-Zero because of the amulet.
Killed Scorpion's clan and family, and put the blame on Sub-Zero.
Fake alliance with Shinnok for centuries.
Fake alliance with Shao Kahn
Hatred with Raiden.​
And so on..

Design-wise, depends on who you ask. He was designed before Kratos, which is part of the reason many constantly joke about both.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Stryker looks dumb, as usual, Sindel looks like a man, and wtf happened with Smoke? I wanted Robo-Smoke, tbh.

EDIT: Johnny Cage should play Duke Nukem in a movie adaptation, just saying.

twinturbo2 said:
Stryker looks dumb, as usual, Sindel looks like a man, and wtf happened with Smoke? I wanted Robo-Smoke, tbh.

EDIT: Johnny Cage should play Duke Nukem in a movie adaptation, just saying.
The select screen pics look bad. They've done some weird shading on them that makes all of the women look like men and all of the men look like old men. The in-game models look much better.

Big One

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
Quan Chi over Rain? What the fuck Boon? Everybody thinks Quan Chi is shit no matter how huge a man-crush you have on him. Going back in time was your chance to get rid of the character who sullied the series, why bring him back?

If they needed to add anybody from Mythologies (because by God it was such a highly regarded game) then it should have been Sareena.
I like Quan Chi a lot better than Rain, but Rain will probably end up being DLC. We've already seen him once in one of the trailers briefly and in the background of one of the stages. With that being said I'm interested in what they're going to do with Quan Chi cause this is literally the first time he's been on a 2D plane in a fighting game, so they would have to retool him and Kenshi to play differently. I'm kind of disappoint that his MK4 costume isn't his default one, though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Spirit of Jazz said:
Quan Chi over Rain? What the fuck Boon? Everybody thinks Quan Chi is shit no matter how huge a man-crush you have on him. Going back in time was your chance to get rid of the character who sullied the series, why bring him back?

If they needed to add anybody from Mythologies (because by God it was such a highly regarded game) then it should have been Sareena.

You shut your whore mouth! Quan Chi is awesome. I'll take him over Rain any day (though obviously I'd prefer both).

Kweh

Quan Chi can stay...if he doesn't bring his ridiculous neck stretch with him.

From best to worst fatality :(

derFeef

Big One said:
Oh god @ Human Smoke. I would be fine if it was, like, Raiden's hair, but that is just gross.
I bet his hair looks like Sindel's hair, but the character portraits are generally quite bad.

Big One

Banned
derFeef said:
I bet his hair looks like Sindel's hair, but the character portraits are generally quite bad.
What do you mean? All of them look exactly like they're supposed to in the game... I'm not talking about the character selection, but the portraits are pretty much stills of the exact models.

Also is it just me or does Cyber Sub-Zero look like a revamp of the classic cyborg design? It's kind of what I would picture Cyber Smoke to look like in the game.

Hopefully they'll add some more characters later, because Fujin and Shinnok should not be left out. Badass moves and great characters.

mrplaid

LOL at Human Smoke petting his invisible cat.

All the character art looks like it was originally painted on the side of a van.

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
No Ermac, Kabal, maybe more
All renders; sadly.
Plus Jax, Stryker and Kratos have two..for when appearing on the right side.

What's weird (well not that much but) is that the guy that posted the renders, that's his only post in the forum; and he said those were from "the ps3 demo".

So, maybe he got access to the more recent PAX Demo that had more characters or something; since if same data was on the first demo those would've been posted long time ago. But he ripped all Vs. renders in any case. :/

Its really cool how asymmetrical characters like Kratos have portraits that aren't simply mirrored. The details are drawn correctly, SF4 portrait style.

I really can't stand those fucking renders. They look so flat and boring.

But the character art that's been released thus far, used in promotial stuff like posters, etc is amazing, tons of do detail and they look great. Why the fuck didn't they go with those?

One of my few gripes with MK so far.

derFeef

Criminal Upper said:
I really can't stand those fucking renders. They look so flat and boring.

But the character art that's been released thus far, used in promotial stuff like posters, etc is amazing, tons of do detail and they look great. Why the fuck didn't they go with those?

One of my few gripes with MK so far.
Yeah, agreed. The realtime 3D models look so great and they look nothing like the "renders". Hell even the proportions are off.

MrMephistoX

Big One said:
I like Quan Chi a lot better than Rain, but Rain will probably end up being DLC. We've already seen him once in one of the trailers briefly and in the background of one of the stages. With that being said I'm interested in what they're going to do with Quan Chi cause this is literally the first time he's been on a 2D plane in a fighting game, so they would have to retool him and Kenshi to play differently. I'm kind of disappoint that his MK4 costume isn't his default one, though.

Quan Qi also has the single best Fatality of all the 3D MK's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw32oupXphA

Khezu

I wonder how they can even do battle damage for sheeva, she's wearing a string.

The renders do look kinda weird compared to the actual in game models, smoke looks weird, though his hair probably will look a lot better when he isn't standing next to a fan.

It looks like it's only a matter of time before the whole game leaks by the way things are going :/. It's obvious that MKU's source had the game and likely has given copies out to others.

Khezu

infinityBCRT said:
It looks like it's only a matter of time before the whole game leaks by the way things are going :/. It's obvious that MKU's source had the game and likely has given copies out to others.

Doesn't seem to be the same source, the versus renders came from a Russian website, some dude said he got it from the demo, in a image file. At least that's what I heard.

Top Bottom