• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple independent sources reporting FFVII remake for PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booki

Let's think about the plausibility of them getting it done by the end of 2017, in which many of you say there is too much work to be done.

What exactly would you need to start developing a video game?

- Idea about what the game is and how it's played ---- completed
- Storyboarding to flesh out the story ---- completed
- Concept designing the world, monsters, characters, weapons, materia, etc; ----completed
- Coming up with dialogue for the various interactions/story elements ---- completed
- Composing (from nothing) the music to accompany the game ----completed
- Creating a battle system ---- completed, although they could change

So that leaves just the physical work of remodeling the characters, weapons, world, possibly adding voice acting etc;

However, they are also just finishing up a current open world final fantasy that is the most ambitious graphically that have done to date. One of the downsides with game budgets is that it takes forever to create the assets that will be used in a particular game that never get re-used....that is why you see some companies spin off another game with a bunch of re-used assets. Plus there is the mention of Advent Children - given I don't have a clue as to if those assets could be used in this fashion

Would it be completely implausible for them to re-use terrain textures they have completed from XV into FFVII? Or any other textures that they could use without it looking like a complete and blatant rip off? I'm sure there are quite a few that can be used and re-colored / tweaked a little to make it seem new.

And how many games are given a release date at some gaming convention only to have it pushed back by a quarter or more? I think this could be completely plausible and it would be the perfect time to do it. A huge team finishing up a big game then hopping on to FFVII and using some of the stuff from XV. If Square Enix were ever going to make it.....I think now would make the most sense business wise given what they could use and the current climate of games and the PS4.

- My 2 cents

This gets me thinking a bit. Where does Square Enix go after they finish up with FFXV? Another numbered game, lets say FFXVI? More handheld FF titles or maybe something completely different. After XV they can really move onto anything they like. Hell even a Mana game thrown into the Luminous Studio game engine. Who knows.

Haunted

"We heard your cries. We apologize for last time. Here it is!!!"

[the lights lower. crowd goes nuts. some classic Final Fantasy 7 music plays]

"18 Years Ago..."

[crowd is losing their shit]

"A Legendary Fantasy Returns... Reborn..."

[crowd begins screaming and stomping. the FF7 PC version appears, but the camera is zoomed and cropped to make it look widescreen. the models look like they've been replaced by Crisis Core/PSP quality ones or something, and the music all sounds OCRemixy]

"COMING 2016"

[the crowd is silent. someone is weeping]

"Thank you for attending our 2015 Media Briefing. Suzuki-san will be showing off his concept art for whatever he can get Kickstarter money for by 2017 at our booth."
It's just the PC version with mods, shown again for promotional purposes.

"Available now!"

Mengetsu

Maybe after the reaction at PSX they realized the fans don't want a shoddy port and scrapped it and are actually redoing the game to a degree. I could see this being real and being out next year.

53c6356a154d27aa48ff2c44196f6e81.png

Hype is real.

Valor

- My 2 cents

There aren't a ton of assets that you can re-use into a full blown VII remake on the PS4. Not even stuff from XV. There are a ton of locations, backgrounds, voice acting, models, textures, and countless other things they would have to create. Unless work has already been started on VII, I don't see it coming anytime soon with the resources already dedicated to XIV, XV, and KH3 as a starting point.

I also don't think it's coming at all, so there's that.

jett

D-Member
lol Siliconera just destroyed any reputation they had. I don't know if they had any though, I never go there.

Square Enix literally has no team available that could develop FFVIIR.

It makes absolutely no sense that they would port the game and then release this soon after.

Viral marketing and virtually no work involved in bringing it over.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to believe, but if there was ever going to be a way to ignite the FF7 Remake hype train after all this time this would be it.

Wow 22 pages and thread started today. People still want that FF7.

It's a guaranteed cash cow for SE unless they bungle it.

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. Been through this way too many times.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just whistle while you work. do do doot do do do dooo. La la la la I don't actually know the words whistle all day long~

Breakage

So out in time for 2017? Just Lol.

The modern Advent Children art style is bad.
Most of the humour and scenarios just wouldn't work in the same way.

Pooya

lol Siliconera just destroyed any reputation they had. I don't know if they had any though, I never go there.

Square Enix literally has no team available that could develop FFVIIR.

The true reason why Nomura was removed from 15 along with bunch of others! believe... they can always team up with CC2 again too!!!111

I've told myself, that SE probably isn't working on a 7 remake yet (and it's not my favorite FF anyway), and even if they were, I don't care, the original is still fun to play, and the endearing weirdness won't work w/ realistic HD

...but, it seems I may have been lying to myself.

Square needs to one up their last FF7 on PS4 troll. They should say FF7 is getting remade and then they show some incredible trailer that you can't tell if it's CGI or real time and then it's revealed to be the opening cinematic of a FF7 mobile card game that goes through the story.

What's with these threads bringing up these mythical games. First we've got TLG, then Shenmue and now this? What's next? Agent, HL3?

And what, all of them are going to be revealed in the SONY conference? There's only so much the universe can take you know. There must be balance to the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom