• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Gamestop has over 600 preorders for the PS4 (Sold out until February)

At the Best Buy I work at, we have literally 100's of pre-orders for both systems. Too bad most of these people will not be recieving one for a while.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Be happy you got 2 days

When i worked there..they would give you the day of and thats it for a launch console.

Trust me...dont trust them to hold it for 2 days..go get it asap

no point to going at midnight since they are holding it for 2 days.

errrm wrong

chrono01

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I fully expected this.

That being said, I have no regrets over cancelling my PS4 pre-order last night. There's no games out at launch that I want to play, I have more than enough on the PS3/Wii/3DS/DS to keep me busy, and I don't enjoy re-selling things for a profit [I've never been a fan of that].

I'll probably purchase one sometime in mid-late 2014, though, provided that there's around three titles I want to play by then [Second Sons is one of them] with more being released shortly after.

for there to be an even split you would also need to have areas reporting reserves hugely in favor of xbox. i'm just not seeing that. has anyone else?

xbox coming in dead even in a few areas, at best, doesn't cancel out the areas that have huge leads for PS4. like i said, my area has 3-1 favoring PS4 and i'm in the US.

Where do you get these numbers? whats your source? real question, not being a dick

Saganator

Been trying to post this tidbit of info in multiple threads. Might be helpful for those who don't have a preorder.

Some Costco locations will have a PS4 bundle. It includes a controller and 1 year of PSN. Price not yet known, nor how many units each location will get. People who get this bundle get it with the added benefit of the awesome Costco return policy. If your console fails in anyway, bring it back and you get a full refund. No preordering or holding. Get there early, and I'm willing to bet you will get your PS4 with minimal fuss.

Probably want to call your local Costco a couple days before launch to find out if they will be receiving them.

IllumiNate

Ill edit the OP, but they also said that the first shipment they are getting will be 300 units.. But every shipment after that will be around the 20-30 mark

Dazzler

Dunno if it's been mentioned in here, but Future Shop Robson in Vancouver is promising 250 consoles will be available at launch for non-preorders

that number seems pretty big to me for one store

I fully have one preordered through Amazon that's going to be here on release day, but the Costco thing might help out many a friend of mine. I'll spread that bundle info, thanks!

wizzbang

Banned
Am I missing something? I'm looking at completed auctions on Ebay right now and everything for the PS4 is between $550 and $650. There are a few that are higher than that but they seem to be bundles with extra games. Not even close to 8-900.

You must be, because I found at least 10 over 800$ US last night alone.

Hypothetically, if GameStop doesn’t receive as many units as they have pre-orders how will they distribute the stock they do get? Will it be based on who pre-ordered first or who shows up a midnight launch or people who have paid it off in full?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn't surprise me in the least. I fully expected this.

That being said, I have no regrets over cancelling my PS4 pre-order last night. There's no games out at launch that I want to play, I have more than enough on the PS3/Wii/3DS/DS to keep me busy, and I don't enjoy re-selling things for a profit [I've never been a fan of that].

I'll probably purchase one sometime in mid-late 2014, though, provided that there's around three titles I want to play by then [Second Sons is one of them] with more being released shortly after.

I don't blame you. It isn't about lack of games for me, however, it's the fact that I finally, for the first time, upgraded my 2008 ps3 with a 500gb harddrive and now I am actually interested in completing my backlog and other games I had never experienced. These massive amounts of games are also cheaper. By the time I'm done with that, I can transition into a PS4 and buy the games for that system at a reduced price. No point in rushing in, although a new console is surely exciting and enticing.

My Best Buy said they cut their PS4 pre-orders off pretty early. I am hoping they have their official numbers when my copy of Battlefield 4 comes in on the 8th. I really dont feel like waiting in line more than 90 min or so.

jaaz

The demand is there for Sony of course but they have refused to allocate more units...Whether we are a low priority area, they ran out of stock, MS has more stock etc. is not known.

The point that should be gleaned from this all is that both systems are gonna sell out. Plain and simple. If you don't have a reserve then damn I pray for you...Getting one is gonna be a bitch.

Then your numbers really don't show or prove anything, other than you sold through your initial meager assortment of 60 odd consoles for each and MS threw a few more your way. Unlimited supply is not there for either console, so it's invalid to apply such numbers to the whole country (not to mention no one store or district could be an accurate cross-sampling of a country).

The real question is, if you had unlimited supply of each console for pre-order, which one would have more pre-orders and by how much? Anecdotal and subjective perhaps, but I would be interested in your thoughts on this (you are closer to this than most anyone else in here).

Went to EB Games to confirm midnight launch, and then I remembered this thread.

Asked the manager about preorders and he stated that "You can preorder a PS4 but there is no guaranteeing when you will receive it."

Asked him what the expected date would be, "Not even guaranteeing Christmas. Possibly Mid-January."

No. Of systems preordered: "Over 500".
Compared to Xbox one: "Couple of hundreds".

Good news for Xbox owners, however, is that with such low preorders, they "can guarantee a unit by Christmas."

Ha, looks like I don't have a chance of getting a ps4 anytime soon. I didn't preorder and don't plan on lining up for the 12 o'clock launch( I'll look for one shortly after stores open up). I'll probably just end up building a gaming pc instead...

You must be, because I found at least 10 over 800$ US last night alone.

We'll have a more accurate picture of the reselling market after 11/14. Right now, the people buying PS4s off Ebay are essentially trusting that the seller will change their Amazon shipping address to their address and/or trusting they will ship them the PS4 on launch day. In other words, there's no buyer protection.

DoctorZ

Hypothetically, if GameStop doesn’t receive as many units as they have pre-orders how will they distribute the stock they do get? Will it be based on who pre-ordered first or who shows up a midnight launch or people who have paid it off in full?

This is why I have kept one of my Amazon preorders. Just in case. If GS screws me over I know that I'll have one coming to me later that day. Although UPS and Fedex don't get to my house until around 6-8pm. I also have a lot of GS credit that I don't want to transfer to Amazon by buying GC's.

Its just way easier if GS just has at least enough to cover their preorders, but I know in the past people have gotten screwed over by GS at launches.

The demand is there for Sony of course but they have refused to allocate more units...
Huh well that changes pesective. Could you tell us how fast those 66 preorders wer filled up compared to the xbox ones? Of course both are gona sell ut at launch, but is the demand for PS4 higher? Hypotetically, much preorders would you have for PS4 if it was unlimited supply?

DoctorZ

Huh well that changes pesective. Could you tell us how fast those 66 preorders wer filled up compared to the xbox ones? Of course both are gona sell ut at launch, but is the demand for PS4 higher? Hypotetically, much preorders would you have for PS4 if it was unlimited supply?

Probably less than there is now if everyone knew beforehand that there was an unlimited supply. If you didn't tell people there was an unlimited supply and instead lied and told them they could run out at any moment that would be another story.

Loakum

Banned
I'm going by gamestop tomorrow anyway to pick up a game (Castlevania LOS Collrction), for I can find out do I have to be at the midnight launch, to guarantee my Playstation 4 on Day 1. I wasn't plan on going to the midnight launch, due to safety concerns (I live in Detroit).

StoopKid

Went to EB Games to confirm midnight launch, and then I remembered this thread.

Asked the manager about preorders and he stated that "You can preorder a PS4 but there is no guaranteeing when you will receive it."

Asked him what the expected date would be, "Not even guaranteeing Christmas. Possibly Mid-January."

No. Of systems preordered: "Over 500".
Compared to Xbox one: "Couple of hundreds".

Good news for Xbox owners, however, is that with such low preorders, they "can guarantee a unit by Christmas."

I said goddamn.

Probably less than there is now if everyone knew beforehand that there was an unlimited supply. If you didn't tell people there was an unlimited supply and instead lied and told them they could run out at any moment that would be another story.

errgh... yeah ok, thats not what i meant. lets rephrase: hypotetically how much Ps4 would be preordered if you could allocate a console for each person that came to preorder the console... lol?

Persona7

Banned
I got a call on Saturday morning from ebgames saying that I could pick up my PS4 on the 15th. If I fail to pick it up within two days I will be bumped to the second shipment.
I called them today and asked them if they were doing a midnight release at that store and she said yes and they will be open for 24hrs that day.
I asked how many preorders does this store have for the PS4 and she told me over 600!!!!! And that they are taking preorders for February! I said Gawd Dam..
I live in a town of 100k people, not very big by any means.
I have a feeling things are gonna get a little crazy this holiday..

Edit: update. Ill edit the OP, but they also said that the first shipment they are getting will be 300 units.. But every shipment after that will be around the 20-30 mark

One store is getting 300 units. That doesn't sound right.

Oppo

I didn't catch the first wave of Amazon pre orders (I don't have a "launch bundle") but I did catch the second wave. Which means my delivery date is not the Friday but the following Monday/Tuesday. I'm ok with this. And I'm glad I did order. I've never preordered a console before in my life. But I had a feeling this one would be tough to get.

Darmik

I hope there will be plenty of units available when I go to the US in April. I want to avoid dat Australian Tax please.

CF22

The Game Stop I pre-ordered from said they would hold my PS4 for 2 days. They mentioned that since it is fully paid they cannot sell it anyway so they'll have to hold it for me. I live in a large city with plenty of Game Stops around so I expect my PS4 to be there when I go pick it up however I'll make sure to ask once again a day or two before the 15th just to make sure.

macewank

At the Best Buy I work at, we have literally 100's of pre-orders for both systems. Too bad most of these people will not be recieving one for a while.

See this is the weird thing. Our "on the ground" reports are that stores are under-allocated on preorders (more orders than units), but Best Buy says in their FAQ that every store will have extra units to sell to walk ins.

It can't be both.. Which is it?

See this is the weird thing. Our "on the ground" reports are that stores are under-allocated on preorders (more orders than units), but Best Buy says in their FAQ that every store will have extra units to sell to walk ins.

It's a console launch. Nobody knows anything.

CF22

I'm pretty sure there will be some cancelations at stores which do not require a deposit for pre-orders but at GS where the pre-order was $100 I doubt there will be any cancelations.

Any Gaffers working at GS know what the deal is with PS4 pre-orders?

I'm pretty sure it's both. Like we have a set amount for pre-orders and some extra that we sell to the people who wait in line for hours. I'll have to ask my manager but, I'm pretty sure that's the way we are handling it.

Is there anyway of confirming your launch pickup at gamestop? I think I was the 5th person at my gamestop to preorder. Anyway I decided to call to verify and the employee just put me on hold for 20 minutes and hung up.

As I said in another thread, I called my local gamestop and was told not to expect anything on shelves until atleast February.

I called Frys and they stated they are sold out of pre-orders and anything else is first come first serve.

So they are getting a batch of non-preorder " first come first serve " PS4's also.

I have a feeling this launch is going to be an utter mess. Like almost all launches, but man ... talking to about 10 stores today everyone seems utterly terrified of the PS4 launch lol.

Top Bottom