• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My TV cant install the latest xbox firmware (June update adds wireless power)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm trying to get into Starfield (yeah....) and I'm noticing something I've never seen in my first six months of Xbox Series X ownership, the ownership of any console ever, or any device that connects to a TV and does not run on a battery when A/C is disconnected.

Three days ago: Your Xbox is 39 days out of date. This is despite the system saying that update was successfully installed. The real Houdini routine here, and what I alluded to never seeing before once in my life, is that the message stays on the screen after you manually power down the system and REMOVE THE A/C CORD FROM THE BACK OF THE SYSTEM???

Two days ago: Your Xbox is 40 days out of date. I went through the bizzaro cycle again, got back into the system, and applied a 900MB update. The system would appear to be... up to date at this point?

Right now: Your Xbox is 42 days out date. How the fuck is it 42 days out of date if I just fucking installed an update?

I have the Microsoft Plus extended two year warranty, which piggybacks off of the initial one year warranty, and covers accidental damage too in the event that I throw this thing out of a window before December 1, 2026. Is this a common problem? Is there a way to prevent this from appearing after you've already applied an update? Is Sony gonna keep fucking around or actually get a disc based unit to $399.99 at some point?

Any information or device throwing tips would be greatly appreciated.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Never heard of this kind of an error before. Are you getting an error code or something you can refer on the support pages?

If you've already tried power cycling, clear the cache and try again, or change the region on your system settings, that requires a reboot, maybe that'll jigger something. If nothing else works contact support on twitter if it continues, they're usually quick at replying.

LordOfChaos

Three days ago: Your Xbox is 39 days out of date. This is despite the system saying that update was successfully installed. The real Houdini routine here, and what I alluded to never seeing before once in my life, is that the message stays on the screen after you manually power down the system and REMOVE THE A/C CORD FROM THE BACK OF THE SYSTEM???

For how long? It's possible the capacitors keep a few seconds of charge to buffer for power, or else the TV retains a cut signal somehow, but this probably isn't by design

El Muerto

I've owned every Xbox and never heard of anything like that. If the cache clear didnt work and leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds didnt work you can reset the Xbox without wiping out your games.
Settings > System > Console info > Reset console > Reset and keep games and apps

Mooreberg

For how long? It's possible the capacitors keep a few seconds of charge to buffer for power, or else the TV retains a cut signal somehow, but this probably isn't by design

Probably until the heat death of the universe, if I didn't manually switch to HDMI 3 ARC and back to HDMI 1 (XBX). Never seen this before. It would have have just stayed there if I didn't switch inputs. And it keeps appearing, even with what what the system is telling me is the latest update. Quality engineering all around. I'm starting to hope this is their last go around with dedicated hardware, save for whatever ARM based bandwidth wasting junk they eventually release that I will comfortably avoid like the plague.

As for everything else, there are no error codes, I will attempt the system cache clearing without losing games (what are the odds that actually performs as intended?) when I get back in the system. I appreciate the replies.

Mooreberg

Try this

The consoles have been out for years not and there isn't one Google result for your issue, which indicates it is super rare.

I'd probably log with MS if you have all that extra cover and get a replacement.
IMG-20240614-232225549.jpg

IMG-20240612-222741560.jpg

This is like when a receptionist wrote me an appointment card for nine months in the past. Must have been kiphalfton's mother. It would explain the mongoloid genetics.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
IMG-20240614-232225549.jpg

IMG-20240612-222741560.jpg

This is like when a receptionist wrote me an appointment card for nine months in the past. Must have been kiphalfton's mother. It would explain the mongoloid genetics.
I've personally never seen that message and I am on skip-Alpha, which is sometimes buggy as fuck

Top Bottom