• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Jarate

Banned
I have IT at #2 in my MVP ratings thus year. The Celtics roster kind of blows besides him, and he's putting up some ridiculously clutch performances. Harden is easily #1 though

Bread

Banned
I have IT at #2 in my MVP ratings thus year. The Celtics roster kind of blows besides him, and he's putting up some ridiculously clutch performances. Harden is easily #1 though
lol

Crowder, Bradley, and Horford are all very good players.

Jarate

Banned
lol

Crowder, Bradley, and Horford are all very good players.

They've had much better success then other teams who either have better starters or a better bench. Bradley and Crowder are good, I think Horford is pretty overrated tbh (Bad rebounder and mediocre defender at the 5 is important) but Crowder and Bradley aren't superstars. They're really good role players though.

Easily? Over the guy who's averaging a triple-double midway through the season while leading the league in scoring and PER? I mean, I'm not faulting giving Harden the edge, but "easily"? And Thomas second? Come on now. If your criteria takes into consideration "the rest of his team isn't very good," Westbrook is "easily" the MVP.

WB is playing garbage defense (like worse than Harden level from last season) and his shooting % is straight up trash. The only reason WB has this MVP talk is due to the triple dub. Team is also in 6th, while Harden has will his into 3rd. Still a great season, but there's been better than him this season.

Jarate

Banned
Easily? Over the guy who's averaging a triple-double midway through the season while leading the league in scoring and PER? I mean, I'm not faulting giving Harden the edge, but "easily"? And Thomas second? Come on now. If your criteria takes into consideration "the rest of his team isn't very good," Westbrook is "easily" the MVP.

1. Westbrook has a TS% of like 44%, and that's like 10-8% less then both Harden and Thomas. Westbrook is not nearly as efficient as

2. Westbrook has been playing pretty horrendous defense all season. There have been some posts saying he's doing this to pump up his rebounding stats, but I think that's too nefarious.

3. Look up Isiah Thomas's 4th quarter totals. It is absolutely bonkers. Ge's averaging 10.1 ppg in the 4th quarter this year.

Harden is doing what Westbrook is doing while being incredibly efficient and playing with an elite team this season (does anyone want to play against Houston this year?) And Thomas is also having an asinine season and has been by far the most clutch player in the league. Westbrook might be the vest player out of those 3(I'd take Lebron, Curry, KD, and Kawhi over those 3 for best players) but it's called MVP and I think that Thomas and Harden have been more valuable to their team this season. You have to understand, yes Westbrook is having a ridiculous season, but others are as well

Gigglepoo

They should but wouldn't surprise me because they are terrible at rebounding and rely on IT to go ham every 4th. In the playoffs they will clog the paint and make others do things.

The Celtics strike me as a regular season team. Well-coached players who try extremely hard every night can usually bank wins against most of the league. But things change in the playoffs. Has IT ever been effective against a defense designed to stop him? I think the Raptor are still the only team in the East that can hang with Cleveland and that still only means winning a game or two.

gutshot

Embiid out tonight and doubtful for the next two games.

tumblr_lwlgmxVVpF1qkyzt0o1_250.gif

Tom Penny

The Celtics strike me as a regular season team. Well-coached players who try extremely hard every night can usually bank wins against most of the league. But things change in the playoffs. Has IT ever been effective against a defense designed to stop him? I think the Raptor are still the only team in the East that can hang with Cleveland and that still only means winning a game or two.

Well they faced the Cavs obvious L then played the Hawks with no Bradley and gimped Crowder. He needs to have shooters around him. The Celtics only have a few of those and he has zero other players that can get their own shot. Not a good recipe for any player.

Jarate

Banned
Jahlil Okafor at Center tonight boyos

we were winning too much so we decided to tank again.

Embiid apparently just has a knee contusion, I doubt it's serious, but no reason to risk anything right now. Good decision.

TTG

do you mean EFG? IT's TS is 62% (ridiculous)

NBA stats say 54% true shooting. The actual reasons for Russ winning the MVP would be that Durant left and he's stat padding. Is that better than Derek "I'm not Lebron James" Rose? I guess, but that Bulls team also won 60+

If Harden finishes in third, I would give it to him.

Bread

Banned
NBA stats say 54% true shooting. The actual reasons for Russ winning the MVP would be that Durant left and he's stat padding. Is that better than Derek "I'm not Lebron James" Rose? I guess, but that Bulls team also won 60+

If Harden finishes in third, I would give it to him.
Not sure where you're seeing that

Jahlil Okafor at Center tonight boyos

we were winning too much so we decided to tank again.

Embiid apparently just has a knee contusion, I doubt it's serious, but no reason to risk anything right now. Good decision.

He shouldn't have played in the Rockets game, he still played awesome but it was pretty clear he was moving around gingerly and didn't have his normal level of activity on defense. Him sitting is a non issue but I don't have much doubt people are going to irrationally panic about it given it's JoJo.

Honestly, if the Thunder can't secure #4 or #5, I think Kawhi, Lebron, or Durant are the #2 to Harden.

Kawhi has been carrying the Spurs quite a bit, and Lebron, especially when the Cavs were on a tear, was a really good candidate for #2 too. Still doubt Durant gets it, especially if Curry is getting back into form.

If Spurs outperform the Rockets by enough, Kawhi is a major threat for MVP.

KD won't get it simply because he went to a team that was already a great team without him. Gonna be weird if golden state wins 70 games and the best player on the team doesn't win MVP

Servbot24

Banned
MVP race imo

1. Harden
2. Westbrook
3. Kawhi
4. LeBron
5. KD

Actual best players I would want on my team

1. KD
2. LeBron
3. Curry
4. Kawhi
5. Harden

Not even sure about Harden though, might have to pick Giannis or Davis over him

Boston Globe is saying Anthony would waive his no trade for the Celtics. Phil still has interest in the Celtics (sent scouts to watch C's vs Bucks). Stevens would be okay with Anthony but it's Ainge who says no.
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/30...eltics/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Crowder can gtfo if he was pissed at celtics fans cheering for Gordon
plus Ainge can get rid of those infinite second round picks

don't trade the Nets pick for Anthony

Celtics and Raptors will never be able to touch the Cavs if Tristan Thompson is able to kill them on the boards like he does to all bad rebounding teams

C4Lukins

Well the Mavs are not diving. I wanted them to after that historically shit start, but they are still legitimate playoff contenders.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Miami might as well chase for the 8th seed at this point.

It's why the tank has all but disappeared for only 2 or 3 teams in both east and west. The 8th is wide open for bad teams to sneak in. Only the Lakers, suns, and nets are really left to truly tank. Still a lot of season, but it's been a weird year.

Top Bottom