• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K16 |OT| This Time With Less Cheese

Mumford

In MyCareer, if I were to upgrade my shooting now to the last bar (which would bring most of those stats only into the 80's), can I then further upgrade those stats even higher by taking the caps off through practice or whatever? I'm not quite sure about how this all works out this year.

Korezo

In MyCareer, if I were to upgrade my shooting now to the last bar (which would bring most of those stats only into the 80's), can I then further upgrade those stats even higher by taking the caps off through practice or whatever? I'm not quite sure about how this all works out this year.

Is there a list of SG sizes/styles and stats? Because I made a 6'5 outside sg and the difference between 6'5 and 6'6 is ridiculous. 6'6 has a 10 point advantage in dunks 84vs74 while 6'5 has a 1 point advantage on mid and threes 88vs87 and 2 points more on speed and acceleration 80vs78... I would rather be 6'6...

Is there a GAF league?
I think there is an x1 league but as for ps4, I'm gonna wait on that and see if any game breaking bugs pop up sooner or later before I decide to start one or be a part of one

So really the x1 league will be the test league lol

Is there a list of SG sizes/styles and stats? Because I made a 6'5 outside sg and the difference between 6'5 and 6'6 is ridiculous. 6'6 has a 10 point advantage in dunks 84vs74 while 6'5 has a 1 point advantage on mid and threes 88vs87 and 2 points more on speed and acceleration 80vs78... I would rather be 6'6...

That's mental, and a bit silly.

You upgrade past your stay cap with boosts or practice. Boosts are +5 to that stat category and only lasts for X amount of games.

abuC

I think there is an x1 league but as for ps4, I'm gonna wait on that and see if any game breaking bugs pop up sooner or later before I decide to start one or be a part of one

So really the x1 league will be the test league lol

So GAFers would use an exploit in a league?

I'd start one right now if people would be in for real.

So GAFers would use an exploit in a league?

I'd start one right now if people would be in for real.

In the past people have played seasons and then found out you couldn't advance to the playoffs, or games don't get done, etc.

Also seasons aren't so customizable in length so we'd have to figure out how to deal with stuff like that

Ensoul

I like the career mode but holy shit its frustrating. You're guy is the worst player in the nba and it's just miss after miss after miss. They must do this on purpose so you buy vc. Going to take forever for my player to be even halfway decent.

demolitio

I like the career mode but holy shit its frustrating. You're guy is the worst player in the nba and it's just miss after miss after miss. They must do this on purpose so you buy vc. Going to take forever for my player to be even halfway decent.

Honestly, I turn it to Rookie difficulty in the beginning and can usually get the same amount of VC even with the 0.5 modifier since I score more. This allows me to unlock more badges and once I get to a comfortable skill-level, I'll put the difficulty back up.

I'm just trying to get the MyTeam cards from the player connections since it seems pretty simple.

Sandfox

Its easy enough to get vc in MyPlayer without paying for it and after a bit you should be able to do the things you want even with the difference in rating.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Playing center in mycareer is unbearable. And that's with max physical and 14 defense (lat quickness). Offline i'm slow, clunky, and quite frankly glitchy. Online, in park, its that times 32. To the point where sometimes when I need to turn around and help or track my man to the basket I can't even complete a full turn in place before they drive and score. 1v1 defense is NP-hard. You can either give space and allow people to take absurdly high percentage mid range shots or step up and burned off the first step.

On offense it's so much worse. To poke the ball out from me you just need to just stand close if I actually put the ball on the ground. I'll just drop it because you got close. I can't shoot when people are near (near being like 0-5 feet with or without contest) anymore or else it does a contest jumper. Dunking is still stupid and anybody can block you from any angle. I get a lot of blocks myself i have no business getting. I can't do a spin jumper anymore because for some reason there are fixed places around the basket to stop and turn (most common of which is out of bounds). So to score I pretty much have to run around, slowly, like a fatter Doug McDermott and catch and shoot (so long as i'm not behind the three point line of course). Or, I can just get rebs and convert a low percentage of put backs. That seems to be the only thing I can do.

Outside centers are abortion material. If anybody wants to make one, don't. Do inside, max out inside, rebounds, and speed (for the sake of playability). Everything else is irrelevant, just stand in the paint in park and hope the sheer amount of offensive rebounds you'll get will make up for how much of a defensive liability you are.

I'm probably going to stop playing until next year. This is full on garbage.

abuC

Who thought it was a good idea to randomly match teams against one another? I've been using the Magic and Pistons and have been playing a laundry list of the best teams in the NBA online. Some of these assholes will play off the ball while using a tier 1 team against me as a tier 3 team, how did 2k think this would turn out?

It's frustrating how gimped you feel, as all the other gamemodes are so fun and fluid. Your player feels so sluggish, not only in movements but to shoot too.

Who thought it was a good idea to randomly match teams against one another? I've been using the Magic and Pistons and have been playing a laundry list of the best teams in the NBA online. Some of these assholes will play off the ball while using a tier 1 team against me as a tier 3 team, how did 2k think this would turn out?

I don't see a problem with this. People play online with the intention to win for the most part so you're going to see OKC, CLE, etc. Nothing wrong with playing with your favorite team tho. It's just a higher mountain to climb.

If anything, 2K probably matches up people by player skill or something. I'm pretty sure team choice has 0 influence on matchmaking. Because you have to be a purest/loyalist to play with those lower tier teams lol.

megalowho

I'm 3-4 seasons into MyGM and I like it for the most part, there's enough optional tasks and player/staff/media events to keep me engaged when I'm simulating through games. Presentation is pretty slick with well designed menus and data visualization, even if the structure can be a bit confusing and the constant loading/saving breaks up the flow. I find myself tinkering and digging through it all more than in the past, especially during the offseason and draft time.

Kind of bs that you don't earn VC if you're not actively playing games, even though they're utilized for annual training boosts and conversation options. Not essential tools but still very helpful. Also starting to hit a wall with the leveling system even though I haven't unlocked most of the facilities. Not sure if that's my fault or they're supposed to be a grind. I know a lot of what I'm doing isn't new to 2K16 but after skipping the last two years it's nice to see positive change overall to the mode.

RS4-

I'm 3-4 seasons into MyGM and I like it for the most part, there's enough optional tasks and player/staff/media events to keep me engaged when I'm simulating through games. Presentation is pretty slick with well designed menus and data visualization, even if the structure can be a bit confusing and the constant loading/saving breaks up the flow. I find myself tinkering and digging through it all more than in the past, especially during the offseason and draft time.

Kind of bs that you don't earn VC if you're not actively playing games, even though they're utilized for annual training boosts and conversation options. Not essential tools but still very helpful. Also starting to hit a wall with the leveling system even though I haven't unlocked most of the facilities. Not sure if that's my fault or they're supposed to be a grind. I know a lot of what I'm doing isn't new to 2K16 but after skipping the last two years it's nice to see positive change overall to the mode.

You can sorta AFK the simulcast coaching games. I'm not sure if the timer actually goes down during timeouts unless you interrupt it during the uhh, coaching board? prompt thing.

I don't remember how much VC it is. 500ish in the first season? Still, even at 6x speed and actively paying attention, it takes a few mins.

megalowho

You can sorta AFK the simulcast coaching games. I'm not sure if the timer actually goes down during timeouts unless you interrupt it during the uhh, coaching board? prompt thing.

I don't remember how much VC it is. 500ish in the first season? Still, even at 6x speed and actively paying attention, it takes a few mins.
Ah, I did mess with that once early on, didn't realize it gave me some. Time outs cancelling the 6x speed is annoying though. Still miss getting currency from earning hardware and completing season goals.

abuC

I don't see a problem with this. People play online with the intention to win for the most part so you're going to see OKC, CLE, etc. Nothing wrong with playing with your favorite team tho. It's just a higher mountain to climb.

If anything, 2K probably matches up people by player skill or something. I'm pretty sure team choice has 0 influence on matchmaking. Because you have to be a purest/loyalist to play with those lower tier teams lol.

The problem I have is that there's no penalty for losing against lower tier teams, if there's going to be a reward for winning against them there should also be a penalty for losing with a high tier team.

I mostly use the Pistons, Magic and Kings, I've done well but I play more Tier 1 teams when I use the Pistons/Magic than I do when I use the Kings who are sneaky good with a lineup switch (WCS and Collison in the starting 5).

I knew people were saying this story mode is bad, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Jesus. Sticking purely to season mode with my created team.

BadAss2961

The problem I have is that there's no penalty for losing against lower tier teams, if there's going to be a reward for winning against them there should also be a penalty for losing with a high tier team.

I mostly use the Pistons, Magic and Kings, I've done well but I play more Tier 1 teams when I use the Pistons/Magic than I do when I use the Kings who are sneaky good with a lineup switch (WCS and Collison in the starting 5).
Damn, you're a glutton for punishment.

abuC

Damn, you're a glutton for punishment.

The Magic are actually pretty good, I've beaten the Spurs & Cavs with them online, the Pistons are kind of hard to use though and I do take some beatings. The Kings are really really good though, I use this lineup to start games

Rondo
Collison
Gay
Stein
Cousins

I think they're a Tier 1 team when you use that lineup, the bench sucks but I slow the game down a lot when the starters come out the game

CD'S BAR

The Magic are actually pretty good, I've beaten the Spurs & Cavs with them online, the Pistons are kind of hard to use though and I do take some beatings. The Kings are really really good though, I use this lineup to start games

Rondo
Collison
Gay
Stein
Cousins

I think they're a Tier 1 team when you use that lineup, the bench sucks but I slow the game down a lot when the starters come out the game

I like playing with the Kings too but I haven't had much luck with them, though I'm still adapting from 2k15. I think like with all the 2k games, it's less about what team you pick and more about learning to use the games various cheese to your advantage i.e. steals.

abuC

I like playing with the Kings too but I haven't had much luck with them, though I'm still adapting from 2k15. I think like with all the 2k games, it's less about what team you pick and more about learning to use the games various cheese to your advantage i.e. steals.

It's almost entirely about what team you use, there's certain things that happen that is just flat out bullshit. This happened to me a few minutes ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paF52_hYXGc

Stuff like that makes me not even want to play the game. My opponent was running around using sprint non-stop and his players never got tired, just look at how he's playing off the ball with LeBron, just running around in free space all game. I can't do that with any of the Kings players because none of them are fast enough and their defensive IQs are too low. Almost everyone using tier 1 teams plays like that and it's annoying as hell because there doesn't seem to be any fatigue or shot fatigue.

It's almost entirely about what team you use, there's certain things that happen that is just flat out bullshit. This happened to me a few minutes ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paF52_hYXGc

Stuff like that makes me not even want to play the game. My opponent was running around using sprint non-stop and his players never got tired, just look at how he's playing off the ball with LeBron, just running around in free space all game. I can't do that with any of the Kings players because none of them are fast enough and their defensive IQs are too low. Almost everyone using tier 1 teams plays like that and it's annoying as hell because there doesn't seem to be any fatigue or shot fatigue.

I fucking hate when you miss dunks for NO REASON whatsoever.

Also, are those quick games you're in? I haven't done one yet but they're 5-6 minute quarters right? Players just don't fatigue enough.

This is why I prefer to play H2H with 12 minute quarters. You actually have to play your bench and it just feels more right.

abuC

I fucking hate when you miss dunks for NO REASON whatsoever.

Also, are those quick games you're in? I haven't done one yet but they're 5-6 minute quarters right? Players just don't fatigue enough.

This is why I prefer to play H2H with 12 minute quarters. You actually have to play your bench and it just feels more right.

It's so annoying!

Yeah those are play now online games, it's trying my patience but I can't find any leagues to join. Some seem ok then you read the rules and they limit how many PIP you can score or 3s you can attempt.

It's so annoying!

Yeah those are play now online games, it's trying my patience but I can't find any leagues to join. Some seem ok then you read the rules and they limit how many PIP you can score or 3s you can attempt.

I may start one here but I really do like my 12 minute quarters, but I can live with 8 or 9. In past leagues around here we had a limit, but we kind of softened it a little bit, because yeah it's nice to play against people who don't do the same shit over and over by driving into the paint time and time again, but it got to the point where some people just really suck at defense and we'd get to the end of the game and I'd have to pull up for a jumper just because I didn't want to go over the PIP limit. Even though it was my opponent's fault for not adjusting.

Smokey

Not sure what you're getting at.

The tier system is there to provide wins if you can beat a higher tiered team. Of course most people are going to play with tier 1 teams, that's why the incentive of extra W's is there if you can beat them with a lowered tiered team. Even if they kept the old system where you were taken to a screen to see your opponent's team, you'd most likely still face the best squads. That's what happens in online sports games.

I am in the Euroleague on PS4. At this level people are masters of Isomotion and it's almost impossible to stop Kyrie or any other quick PG. I'm someone who plays on ball 98% of the time, but I've had to implement an onball/offball hybrid setup. It's pretty easy to beat people who play consistently play offball. Call plays specifically for the player they are guarding to get open shots. This will get your teammate moving and force the player controlling the off ball defender to do the same. If they switch to another player do the same thing. You want to punish them for doing this style of play and most won't expect it.

What tier are the Heat?

Last year it was fun using them again. I didn't feel an eye roll on the other side if I chose them unlike year's past.

abuC

I may start one here but I really do like my 12 minute quarters, but I can live with 8 or 9. In past leagues around here we had a limit, but we kind of softened it a little bit, because yeah it's nice to play against people who don't do the same shit over and over by driving into the paint time and time again, but it got to the point where some people just really suck at defense and we'd get to the end of the game and I'd have to pull up for a jumper just because I didn't want to go over the PIP limit. Even though it was my opponent's fault for not adjusting.

I don't mind some play restrictions but what if someone built a team specifically to score in the paint with slashers and a frontcourt like the Grizz. Telling people they can't score 50% of their baskets or take more than 25 threes a game is a bit silly to me. If you start the league let me know, I play a really slow style though.

Not sure what you're getting at.

The tier system is there to provide wins if you can beat a higher tiered team. Of course most people are going to play with tier 1 teams, that's why the incentive of extra W's is there if you can beat them with a lowered tiered team. Even if they kept the old system where you were taken to a screen to see your opponent's team, you'd most likely still face the best squads. That's what happens in online sports games.

I am in the Euroleague on PS4. At this level people are masters of Isomotion and it's almost impossible to stop Kyrie or any other quick PG. I'm someone who plays on ball 98% of the time, but I've had to implement an onball/offball hybrid setup. It's pretty easy to beat people who play consistently play offball. Call plays specifically for the player they are guarding to get open shots. This will get your teammate moving and force the player controlling the off ball defender to do the same. If they switch to another player do the same thing. You want to punish them for doing this style of play and most won't expect it.

I meant it more that people are playing off the ball as Tier 1 teams even when I'm using Tier 3 teams with point guards that cannot shoot like Payton or Rondo for example, they are easy to defend, just back off them and give them a cushion. I run plays, but sometimes the computer defense of a tier 1 team will save my opponent a basket because they're just higher rated on defense. Look at that clip I posted, I came off a screen and made Rudy Gay go towards the rim because he was using LeBron to guard air, still blew two open dunks.

I'd understand playing off the ball if I were a tier 1 team with a speedy PG, but I've usually got some PG that's allergic to scoring. Most of my wins against higher tier teams is because I slow the pace to a crawl and move the ball around waiting for the off the ball defender to make a mistake.

Smokey

I

I meant it more that people are playing off the ball as Tier 1 teams even when I'm using Tier 3 teams with point guards that cannot shoot like Payton or Rondo for example, they are easy to defend, just back off them and give them a cushion. I run plays, but sometimes the computer defense of a tier 1 team will save my opponent a basket because they're just higher rated on defense. Look at that clip I posted, I came off a screen and made Rudy Gay go towards the rim because he was using LeBron to guard air, still blew two open dunks.

I'd understand playing off the ball if I were a tier 1 team with a speedy PG, but I've usually got some PG that's allergic to scoring. Most of my wins against higher tier teams is because I slow the pace to a crawl and move the ball around waiting for the off the ball defender to make a mistake.

Your plays against these people should literally be -- throw the ball to who they are guarding and attack with them. If they are off balling on the C, drive or create and immediately throw the ball to the C for a shot. The defender won't be expecting it. They get so caught up in just watching what's going on that they don't really account for their man getting the ball.

Next year I would be very happy if we had a seperate mycareer and mypark players.

Mycareer - let us actually make the next Jordan or Yao or whoever remove these silly caps and let us upgrade the player how we want, not some template designed to stop online cheese. Especially when people like myself don't care for the park. Instead my PG with 82 speed has to put up players in the same position with far more overall athletism.

Mypark - implement the caps to insure balance and a cheese free environment.

abuC

Your plays against these people should literally be -- throw the ball to who they are guarding and attack with them. If they are off balling on the C, drive or create and immediately throw the ball to the C for a shot. The defender won't be expecting it. They get so caught up in just watching what's going on that they don't really account for their man getting the ball.

I do a lot of that, it's just hard sometimes when someone picks the Pelicans and plays off the ball with Asik. I had that happen to me when I used the Magic once, Davis is like a God with his help D. I tried taking him outside by playing Tobias Harris at PF and even then he was able to alter shots back in the paint.

holy shit

Pro AM is working tonight

You on the East coast or West Coast? I can't get it to work here (EC).

I do a lot of that, it's just hard sometimes when someone picks the Pelicans and plays off the ball with Asik. I had that happen to me when I used the Magic once, Davis is like a God with his help D. I tried taking him outside by playing Tobias Harris at PF and even then he was able to alter shots back in the paint.

You on the East coast or West Coast? I can't get it to work here (EC).

spoke too soon

worked with 4 people, then we had 5 and it went to shit. 4 people would get in and one would just sit there searching

Top Bottom