• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K10: Videogame Scam of the Year - post#476 you gotta be KIDDING

kamspy

bishoptl said:
tmax.gif

Shits fucking scary at 4:30AM.

Fuck this shit I'm going to work.

Jay Sosa

That youtube videos are hilarious :lol

But yeah thats what you get If you allow game devs to patch their games after release. Thats nothing new to PC gamers.

Banned
2K8 was buggy trash
2K9 was buggy trash
Why anyone would think 2k10 wouldn't have problems escapes me. I don't understand the people who buy this shit day one. You know it's going to suck.

MC Safety

I guess this is only peripherally related, but 2K Games' Front Office Manager (baseball) was also incredibly buggy.

I was fortunate enough to get a copy for free, but people paid real money for this game. Beyond being the most impenetrably menu-laden mess ever, the game didn't keep accurate statistics and had a host of glaring bugs that were identified but never corrected. 2K Games had suggested a patch was on its way (and I think we can all lament the notion that console games can be easily crapped out and then patched after the fact), but the problems were never addressed. Fans were simply left high and dry.

Developers are under a great deal of pressure to produce a new edition for a sports franchise each year. But it seems their solution is often the worst one imaginable: shove the product out the door and then (maybe) fix it after the fact.

DCX

DCX
2K8 was buggy trash
2K9 was buggy trash
Why anyone would think 2k10 wouldn't have problems escapes me. I don't understand the people who buy this shit day one. You know it's going to suck.
Listen i understand this reasoning but understand the earlier you have the game the faster you can get the controls down and tactics and just feel for the game to prepare yourself for the GAF league. It happens in madden. Members run out to get the game a week ebfore release gives them a HUGE advantage over us who wait until retail release and in some case a day or week after for whatever reason.

DCX

SmokyDave

Videos in the OP have persuaded me to buy this game, it looks hilarious. I particularly like the idea of seeing myself cloned in the game.

stawnkald

chubigans said:
Didn't Sony used to put out their own NBA game too?

They used to yeah, but I heard something about the 09 version selling so poorly that they laid off the PS3 development team (or at the least moved them over to developing The Show) and swept the game under the rug. It never had a decent roster update, they finally released one halfway through the season and it was the opening day rosters, if that. They did update the "games of the week" thing all year which was nice. As of right now all the servers are offline though so you can't even access those or get that half-assed roster update.

It's a shame, I liked the game despite its faults, I think if they had stuck with the game it might have blossomed...I remember when The Show was going through its growing pains on PS2 and look where it is now. I'm an old-school sports game fan that enjoyed simpler Franchises and don't care for the overly in-depth stuff we get today so it fit the bill. Plus it was pretty fun even if it wasn't always realistic...and hey, it didn't have any game-breaking glitches like 2K10 apparently has, it was a polished product technically. In fact instead of buying a new NBA game this year I just stuck with 09. Saves me $60 and I can stick with what I like despite the outdated rosters.

dunno if this has already been said, but more often than not when you're going 'How the hell didn't QA spot this problem!' they did spot the problem, they did report the problem back to the developers who decided that it was more important to hit their release date (which to be fair could be the publishers fault) and fix the issues asap after launch.

QA get a bad rap from a game like this, and i'd be very surprised if they hadn't already identified most of these problems.

still great videos :) i love glitch threads and yearly sports games REGULARLY come through in the glitch arena.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh man, I almost picked this game up on Sunday, but my friend said he wouldn't be online until Friday, so I decided to hold off until then so we could play this together. This thread saved me some money.

qcf x2

I played NBA2k8 on an every day basis. I bought 2k9. It was complete garbage. Hence, I didn't buy 2k10 until I heard consensus *after its release* that it was bug and glitch free and played the way a basketball game should. And from day 1 I heard about the framerate being shitty again, etc. Didn't even need to read more, tbh. The camera angle we've been using for years is unplayable for the second straight year? Okay, these guys don't give a fuck about their product. So they ain't getting my money.

That was my decision process, so I feel sorry for the OP and those of you who jumped in for the second straight year. Fool me once, shame on you...and all that. No basketball games for me (and no, Live is not and likely never will be an acceptable alternative).

HoTHiTTeR

They patched the game last week and its ridiculously better. Why make this thread w/ the intent on making it seem like they're not trying to make it better?

Smokey

qcf x2 said:
I played NBA2k8 on an every day basis. I bought 2k9. It was complete garbage. Hence, I didn't buy 2k10 until I heard consensus *after its release* that it was bug and glitch free and played the way a basketball game should. And from day 1 I heard about the framerate being shitty again, etc. Didn't even need to read more, tbh. The camera angle we've been using for years is unplayable for the second straight year? Okay, these guys don't give a fuck about their product. So they ain't getting my money.

That was my decision process, so I feel sorry for the OP and those of you who jumped in for the second straight year. Fool me once, shame on you...and all that. No basketball games for me (and no, Live is not and likely never will be an acceptable alternative).

To be fair...the 2K view framerate issues is one of the things they did correct.

However...this situation was present on day one of NBA2K9..and yet they let it happen again on 2K10.

I think the 2K view a view that obviously a lot of hardcore NBA2K players use, and to make that view almost unplayable from the get go is dumb as hell.

HoTHiTTeR said:
They patched the game last week and its ridiculously better. Why make this thread w/ the intent on making it seem like they're not trying to make it better?

1. Go make a league, and then try and play games in that league
  2. Try and play Crew mode with some buddies..go ahead..hope it doesn't crash your Xbox.

They obviously improved some aspects of the gameplay...look at the fucking laundry list in my OP. Several game modes still don't work properly despite being told that they would. Furthermore, these game modes are the reason a lot of customers bought their product. They knew it didn't work properly, and put it out anyway. Then after the patch claimed that these modes were better or did work. How come one month and some change later....Leagues are still fucked up?

B/c they are con artists.

anachronous_one said:
Oh, didn't you hear, Smokey? They've got online issues all figured out:

. . . /eyeroll

This is bullshit. I and others uninstalled our game and tried to do Crew mode and it still didn't work.

Blackface

Banned
HoTHiTTeR said:

You don't pay $60 for a broken game. If they wanted to release a broken piece of shit, they should have charged $5 for it then $10 for each patch until it was fixed. Seeing as how the company is run now, the game may end up costing $1000 under that model.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Smokey said:
  1. Go make a league, and then try and play games in that league
  2. Try and play Crew mode with some buddies..go ahead..hope it doesn't crash your Xbox.
Oh, didn't you hear, Smokey? They've got online issues all figured out:
Ronnie2K's Twitter Account said:
RT @deerek@Ronnie2K should I play off harddrive or cd for NBA 2k10 xbox?->Don't play off hard drive. That's causing some of online issues!
. . . /eyeroll

HoTHiTTeR said:
How the hell does a developer release a game THAT BROKEN without knowing it? So many issues, and yet the community was treated as though:
A) The dev team was completely unaware that there were issues.
B) That people that paid for this incomplete mess were "being babies" about the fact that the game was pretty much broken in all respects.

The damn game was released October 6th. This massive patch (which, by the way, has still not fixed the game completely) was released over a month later. You think that's OK?

I've loved the 2K series for a since its inception, but enough is enough. They tricked me again this year, even after last year's debacle, but no more. I'm tired of this bullshit, and the devs/community manager acting as though nothing is wrong. No more pre-order of the game, no more day one purchase of the game, and no purchase of ANY 2K game in the future without actually verifying that it's patched/released in a working state.

chase

Holy shit...they revolutionized sports games on the DC, now this is what they're doing.

The worst part is that, as a sports game, they have so little to do from year to year. Well they could have a lot to do, but they choose not to.

I guess they were too busy scooping up new sponsors to actually manage to put together a working game.

chase said:
Holy shit...they revolutionized sports games on the DC, now this is what they're doing.

The worst part is that, as a sports game, they have so little to do from year to year. Well they could have a lot to do, but they choose not to.

I guess they were too busy scooping up new sponsors to actually manage to put together a working game.
part of the problem is that 'it's the same as last years game but it actually works this time' isn't going to sell many copies of the game... so they have to add major features to sell the next version, which means they don't have enough time to correct all the existing problems and which of course doesn't account for the new problems that the additions will no doubt bring with them.

best bet would be to take a year off and get things RIGHT as well as have some nice additions, but like that's ever going to happen for any of these sports titles. you miss one year, your competitor could take over. competition isn't always good unfortunately, but still probably better than none.

charsace

HoTHiTTeR said:
Please go read the patch list. A lot of that stuff should have been fixed before the game went gold. This game is crap and a robbery.

aznpxdd

chase said:

ej8txc.png

Indeed.

HoTHiTTeR said:
they fixed certain mechanics of the core game. yes, that i agree with.
is league fixed? nope
is crew/pickup fixed? nope
is association fixed? nope
is myplayer mode fixed? nope.
are xboxes still freezing? yep.
are there still framerate issues? yep.

when the promises from the patch list went live, even that list was a complete lie.

anachronous_one said:
?

I've loved the 2K series for a since its inception, but enough is enough. They tricked me again this year, even after last year's debacle, but no more. I'm tired of this bullshit, and the devs/community manager acting as though nothing is wrong. No more pre-order of the game, no more day one purchase of the game, and no purchase of ANY 2K game in the future without actually verifying that it's patched/released in a working state.
orson-clapping.gif

preach it brother.
i've bought every nba 2k since dreamcast. this is the last time i buy a 2k game out of blind faith.

Richiban

It's unbelievable to me how excited I was to get this game, and yet I can't believe how little I've actually played it.

I rarely play online, mostly due to the fact that I'm never good enough at these games to hold my own in online competition.

That said, I've been frustrated with it in offline mode.

The My Player feature seemed cool at first, but after every game, I couldn't stomach another Insider update doting on me like a house-wife saying I had a serious decision to make, and that he would support me no matter what I did. No drills updating, overlays getting in the way of the game, my PG doing massive amounts of back court violations.

I suppose I'll wait for the PS3 patch and see how that improves the game, if minimally.

Sorry guys for the online league disappointment. That sucks. Every year, I consider joining for some shits and giggles, but it looks like this won't be the year.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I have it but my PC can't run it well at all. It runs all the other current gen games great though...

Htown said:
Does anyone have the PC version? Is that one just as glitchy?

Patch isn't out yet, so many of the gameplay bugs are there. Performance isn't an issue on the PC--you can always turn down the settings.

The PC patch does not require MS or Sony approval nor does 2K have to pay the patch tax beyond the first patch. That means PC version could conceivably end up with more issues fixed.

Also--the PC version is only $20. :D

I told you guys it was the definitive version.

DaCocoBrova said:
I have it but my PC can't run it well at all. It runs all the other current gen games great though...

Turn the player detail down. The clothing physics is a killer.

VanMardigan said:
Oh man, I almost picked this game up on Sunday, but my friend said he wouldn't be online until Friday, so I decided to hold off until then so we could play this together. This thread saved me some money.

I'm surprised to see all the hate for this game, I picked up last week after playing the demo....This game's dope, I hadn't bought a 2k bball game since 2k1 on the dreamcast...but 2k10 is awesome, I have been a live player this entire gen, but couldn't stand this year's demo, and loved 2k10...I think this game's great, and definitely the better bball game this year.

I'm so glad I held out on buying 2k10 this year. Those pieces of shit got away with murder because of how much balls the Live series has been.

and 2k, STOP USING THE SAME OLD ASS ENGINE

NeoGIF

This thread has turned into pure comedy. :lol

I will say one thing, though. I think the commentary is very well done this year. That's probably the one thing I'm most impressed with.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
dsmoke1986 said:
I'm surprised to see all the hate for this game, I picked up last week after playing the demo....This game's dope, I hadn't bought a 2k bball game since 2k1 on the dreamcast...but 2k10 is awesome, I have been a live player this entire gen, but couldn't stand this year's demo, and loved 2k10...I think this game's great, and definitely the better bball game this year.

Well you do realize you are comparing eating feces to vomit?
You have been playing Live all this generation and now you don't like it? This is the first time Live is even playable this gen.

I'm astonished. Have fun with chewing on that vomit.

Smokey

Truelize said:
You have been playing Live all this generation and now you don't like it? This is the first time Live is even playable this gen.

:lol :lol :lol

Truelize said:

Geez man, it's a freakin' videogame, relax already...

aznpxdd

PotatoeMasher said:
Patch isn't out yet, so many of the gameplay bugs are there. Performance isn't an issue on the PC--you can always turn down the settings.

The PC patch does not require MS or Sony approval nor does 2K have to pay the patch tax beyond the first patch. That means PC version could conceivably end up with more issues fixed.

Also--the PC version is only $20. :D

I told you guys it was the definitive version.

Except for the fact that the PC version DOES NOT support 16:10 resolutions. That's just fucking stupid, even 2k9 PC supported 1280x800/1440x900/1680x1050/1920x1200. What they did was simply stretch the 16:9 image to fit the 16:10 screens, therefore making the game looks like crap.

Why For?

Banned
I seriously can't believe where videogame basketball has gone over the years after the halcyon days of NBA Jam, Showtime, Street Vol.2 and the earlier 2K games.

What the fuck happened?

Thank god I didn't buy this. I'll stick to my copy of NBA Showtime on Dreamcast.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
dsmoke1986 said:

Give him $60 and he will relax.

Zyzyxxz

dsmoke1986 said:

when you pay for a product that is advertised to have all these great features and you find out most of them don't work all the time, sure it may only be $60. Nothing compared to a car right?

Still it is principle, and as the core and loyal customers they have a right to be angry with the developers.

jman2050

Why For? said:
I seriously can't believe where videogame basketball has gone over the years after the halcyon days of NBA Jam, Showtime, Street Vol.2 and the earlier 2K games.

What the fuck happened?

I guess with NBA2k10, 2K games...

*puts on sunglasses*

put the nail on the coffin

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!

Top Bottom