• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

zsynqx

And Uncharted 4 could end up similar in quality. There's no way to tell until it releases.

Yer like the above poster said, we already know from a purely mechanical standpoint Uc4 is head and shoulders above the previous games based on the beta. It also has TLOU leads on it, who appear to be taking a lot of lessons learned from that game and applying them to this one.

Ultimately I guess we won't know until it releases how good/disappointing it ends ups being, but I think it is fair to have high expectations based on the knowledge we currently have.

Why are we all pretending The Last Guardian won't make us weep and sing its praises? That's the dark horse birdcatdogratthing for GotY 2016.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yer like the above poster said, we already know from a purely mechanical standpoint Uc4 is head and shoulders above the previous games based on the beta. It also has TLOU leads on it, who appear to be taking a lot of lessons learned from that game and applying them to this one.

Ultimately I guess we won't know until it releases how good/disappointing it ends ups being, but I think it is fair to have high expectations based on the knowledge we currently have.

That is what worries me, I don't want Uncharted to be "deep" or "emotional", & the music from the beta did not instill any confidence in that regard.

At least we know it has godly gameplay, so there's that, but if they try to play clever with the story I imagine there will be a lot of backlash.

Why are we all pretending The Last Guardian won't make us weep and sing its praises? That's the dark horse birdcatdogratthing for GotY 2016.

Nier Automata's story will make us cry, its music will make us cry, and its gameplay will make us cry (with joy). GOTY 2016 locked, pack it up folks.

AniHawk

Oh and I'm pretty disappointed there's no Wii GOTY category Rodea

there actually should be, but i think cheesemeister's stress levels are too high. i think because there are so many ballots and the number increases ever year, he only has time to run parser and decipher the responses it turns up. this doesn't actually include the actual messages, mind you, which all seemed to indicate what was being voted for.

he showed me how it worked in the 6th gen gotg thread. there's a lot more work than you'd expect.

edit: seems like there is now:

----- PLATFORM EXCLUSIVE and DOWNLOAD-ONLY AWARDS -----
xq3KxNF.png
xjcL2av.png

Wii Game of the Year: Rodea the Sky Soldier = 20 points, 2 honorable mentions

thanks, timetokill.

Fredrik

FF7 remake
Uncharted 4
Zelda U
The Last Guardian
No Man Sky
Street Fighter V
Quantum Break
etc

2016 will be nuts when it comes to AAA releases, there is no way to know which game will be GOTY 2016. My guess is that Nintendo NX is out too by the time we're voting next time and who knows what Nintendo has been hiding to get the perfect launch this time.

That is what worries me, I don't want Uncharted to be "deep" or "emotional", & the music from the beta did not instill any confidence in that regard.

At least we know it has godly gameplay, so there's that, but if they try to play clever with the story I imagine there will be a lot of backlash.

neogaf loves a deep or emotional story, just look at the top 10. if it's anything like the the last of us, which is the first time i actually cared about a story in a naughty dog game, it will easily win the goty here.

AniHawk

neogaf loves a deep or emotional story, just look at the top 10. if it's anything like the the last of us, which is the first time i actually cared about a story in a naughty dog game, it will easily win the goty here.

it's funny because nathan drake is like the human equivalent of crash bandicoot. putting him in a serious game for serious people should be a jarring tone shift, but i doubt everyone will see it that way.

Alo0oy

Banned

Yeah good luck, UC4 won't win any GOTY awards once they start killing people off just to be emotional.

GAF loves emotional games, but a game has to be built that way, a tonal shift will leave most fans enraged.

EDIT: What Aniihawk said, except I think the majority won't like the tonal shift.

Lingitiz

FF7 remake
Uncharted 4
Zelda U
The Last Guardian
No Man Sky
Street Fighter V
Quantum Break
etc

2016 will be nuts when it comes to AAA releases, there is no way to know which game will be GOTY 2016. My guess is that Nintendo NX is out too by the time we're voting next time and who knows what Nintendo has been hiding to get the perfect launch this time.

Hahah FF7 remake (part 1 of infinity) ain't coming out next year. But XV will though so there's that at least.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
there actually should be, but i think cheesemeister's stress levels are too high. i think because there are so many ballots and the number increases ever year, he only has time to run parser and decipher the responses it turns up. this doesn't actually include the actual messages, mind you, which all seemed to indicate what was being voted for.

he showed me how it worked in the 6th gen gotg thread. there's a lot more work than you'd expect.

Oh I expect it's a ton of work. I'm always really impressed every year.

edit: seems like there is now:

thanks, timetokill.

awesome

AniHawk

You're right, that would make more sense for Nate's downward spiral. She already fake died once.

from what i remember, druckmann had wanted to fridge her in 2009, but hennig didn't let that happen. apparently the cordyceps in the last of us only affected women too, until he spoke to people within naughty dog that revealed this was a teensy bit sexist.

so yeah. i can totally see elena getting fridged now.

Alo0oy

Banned
You're right, that would make more sense for Nate's downward spiral. She already fake died once.

I hope Naughty Dog aren't that stupid.

At first I was like "no way they're going that route", but after hearing the music in the beta, I started being more cautious.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Honestly Elena getting got could be the TLOU intro of 2016. Just imagine sharing it with your confused parents while you explain to them how far videogames have come along since Mario Brothers.

zsynqx

from what i remember, druckmann had wanted to fridge her in 2009, but hennig didn't let that happen. apparently the cordyceps in the last of us only affected women too, until he spoke to people within naughty dog that revealed this was a teensy bit sexist.

Yer, Druckmann clearly gunna kill of all the female characters /s

For me at least, TLOU proved he knows how to handle characters, both male and female. I don't think it is controversial in saying that many believe he crafted better and more rounded female characters than were present in any of the Uncharted games and with Ellie in particular was able to subvert a number of tropes.

So no, I don't think he has the agenda which you are not so subtly hinting at.

Jigorath

Banned

I thought it was Straley who shot that idea down.

Elena getting offed would be a major bummer.

Alo0oy

Banned
I thought it was Straley who shot that idea down.

Elena getting offed would be a major bummer.

I think that was Amy, I remember she also said that she always told modelers to tone down the gigantic boobs, which is why women in Uncharted and TLOU looked like normal women compared to their comical depiction in other games.

zsynqx

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Elena dying would have kinda sucked, but Chloe was the best Uncharted girl anyways. And then there's always Marisa (??), she's cannon right? Not that anyone cares.

yea uncharted and zelda sky sword were both meh, i don't how they got more votes then arkham city and mario 3d world.

Those are not "meh" games. You're free to think so, but the consensus clearly does not. You'll find ridiculous hate for almost anything and Uncharted 3 and Skyward aren't exempt from that, but in general they're not frowned upon by any means and both reviewed exceptionally well.

Again it's fine to not like them, but you're acting like this is some kind of mystery when it's a simple difference of opinion. I didn't give a shit about The Last of Us, but the praise didn't leave me scratching my head.

AniHawk

Yer, Druckmann clearly gunna kill of all the female characters /s

For me at least, TLOU proved he knows how to handle characters, both male and female. I don't think it is controversial in saying that many believe he crafted better and more rounded female characters than were present in any of the Uncharted games and with Ellie in particular was able to subvert a number of tropes.

So no, I don't think he has the agenda which you are not so subtly hinting at.

i don't think he has an agenda. i just don't think he's aware that things like that are not cool. regarding the last of us,
every major female character not named ellie or maria is killed too. maria might be stretching it to be honest.
again, i don't think he does it on purpose, but there is a pattern, surely.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Solid list.

Witcher 3 got robbed and all that...

Surprised at Until Dawn so high - nice sleeper hit.

My vote is automatic for this year: Uncharted 4.

zsynqx

i don't think he has an agenda. i just don't think he's aware that things like that are not cool. regarding the last of us,
every major female character not named ellie or maria is killed too. maria might be stretching it to be honest.
again, i don't think he does it on purpose, but there is a pattern, surely.

Okay, how about this.
Every major male character not named Joel or Tommy are killed in TLOU.
I don't see any pattern

Edit: Crap, forgot about Bill

Wake me up when a Naughty Dawg game has a woman in a leading role, as in not a love interest or a side kick who you aka the male hero is tasked with protecting.

Play the Last of Us Left Behind now :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wake me up when a Naughty Dawg game has a woman in a leading role, or at least one who is not a love interest or a side kick, who you aka the male hero is tasked with protecting and / or romancing. Bonus points if she's not a minor character with no real impact on the plot.

Bl@de

Great list and a deserved winner. I'm finishing The Old Hunters right now and had doubts if I should've chosen BB instead of Witcher 3. Amazing game with fantastic DLC (worth alone for the Ludwig fight).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Play the Last of Us Left Behind now :p

I have, it was a nice experience, but very much a short side story. It's still cool that developers can take some chances with DLC that they otherwise would have shied away from in their main efforts.

Alo0oy

Banned
Wake me up when a Naughty Dawg game has a woman in a leading role, or at least one who is not a love interest or a side kick, who you aka the male hero is tasked with protecting and / or romancing. Bonus points if she's not a minor character with no real impact on the plot.

I'll be right there with you if Elena wasn't written better than 99% of female characters out there, lead or not.

Top Bottom