• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Carl7

l2JI3LTWL0remLako.gif

Superb job as always on compiling and presenting the list. I really can't complain about the turnout; it was a great year for gaming. Splatoon over Mario Maker was also a pleasant result. Rocket League really deserved its spot, too.

That gif, wow.

Alo0oy

Banned
Studio wise
The Top Tier
From Software: 2015 GOTY, 2011 GOTY Nom
Naughty Dog: 2013 GOTY, 2011 GOTY Nom
Rockstar North: 2013 GOTY Nom, 2010 GOTY Nom

2nd Top Tier
Platinum Games: 2014 GOTY
Valve: 2011 GOTY
thatgamecompany: 2012 GOTY
Bioware: 2010 GOTY

The Rest
Nintendo EAD
CD Projekt
Kojima Productions
Rocksteady
Telltale Games
Dontnod
Irrational Games (RIP)
Eidos Montreal
Psyonix
Bethesda Game Studio

FROM Soft would be on a league of their own next year when they have 2 GOTYs & one nomination.
don't fail me GAF

Massa

Dark Souls 2: SOTF was robbed.

Great list, gonna have to check out some games during the year.

Neogaf is more console heavy. There's a reason why FFXIV votes skewed so much compared to other MMOs.

I don't think it has to do with that really, looking at Steam's 2015 best sellers for example and there's really only one strategy game in the top 20.

From Soft fanboys vs Naughty Dog fanboys, now that will be epic

Hopefully GAF will be stricter on fanboys this year, as well as the meme-inducing "look at those fanboys!" posts.

Aceofspades

Banned
Bloodborne collects GOTY from some of the most legit media

1. NeoGAF
2. EuroGamer
3. EDGE
4. GameTrailers
5. The Guardian

Agree, add Destructoid

-Push Square
-The Telegraph
-Twinifinite
-Gematsu

This is a testement of how amazing Bloodborne is, most games released around March have little chance to get GOTY nomination since honeymoon period is over and hype deflated and people started seeing through its negatives. I would imagine if F4 and MGSV released that time they would be already forgotten by now, I can't say the same to BB and W3 since both games screamed quality and already considered timeless classics.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bloodborne is awesome and it's cool that it won, but I ended up spending way more time with DS2: Scholar of the First Sin despite starting it months after BB. Maybe I'm just weird, though. I guess with BB I found myself missing the much greater variety in playstyles vs. the Souls series, and just the larger amount of content in general.

FROM Soft would be on a league of their own next year when they have 2 GOTYs & one nomination.
don't fail me GAF

Damn this is one hell of a year for GAF, Uncharted 4 by the TLOU/U2 team vs Dark Souls 3 by the Miyazaki team behind DS/BB. In the year of Persona 5, TLG, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Nier Automata. Better pray to god that Rockstar doesn't announce Red Dead 3 for this year.

Oh yeah and Zelda, RIP GAF.

bigjig

Bloodborne is awesome and it's cool that it won, but I ended up spending way more time with DS2: Scholar of the First Sin despite starting it months after BB. Maybe I'm just weird, though. I guess with BB I found myself missing the much greater variety in playstyles vs. the Souls series, and just the larger amount of content in general.

The prospect of Dark Souls 3 having the melee combat improvements of Bloodborne and the sheer variety of builds, locations, equipment, etc. of the Souls games has me salivating.

Eusis

I still can't believe that so many mobile games got places as high as they did.

I still can't believe mobile has games that are BETTER than consoles and PCs at times. It's crazy! I for one think it is an exciting prospect when done right.
Meanwhile I just kept going "where the fuck is Neko Atsume."

The number of games in each year :
2015 = 5 games
2014 = 1 game
2013 = 3 games
2012 = 2 games
2011 = 7 games
2010 = 2 games

So 2015 was pretty damn great but still not as good as 2011.

Life is strange and Rocket League don't break 1000 votes in 2011.

Neogaf has simply grown since then, I would hardly call it a pretty damn great year.

I-hate-u

don't fail me GAF

Barring an out of left field surprises, I think GAFGOTY 2016 will be a fierce battle between Persona 5 and The Last Guardian.

Zelda, Uncharted and Dark Souls are all going to be great, but will be a little bit polarizing for their respective fan base. They are all taking a little bit of a different direction than their predecessors, whom also cause a bit of a polarizing opinion among their fan base(s).

This is all me assuming Horizon and Mass Effect get delayed.

Calabria

Banned
Dark Souls 2: SOTF was robbed.

Great list, gonna have to check out some games during the year.

I don't think it has to do with that really, looking at Steam's 2015 best sellers for example and there's really only one strategy game in the top 20.

Hopefully GAF will be stricter on fanboys this year, as well as the meme-inducing "look at those fanboys!" posts.

restricting how?!? it's freedom of speech. people vote what they want to vote

Alo0oy

Banned
Barring an out of left field surprises, I think GAFGOTY 2016 will be a fierce battle between Persona 5 and The Last Guardian.

Zelda, Uncharted and Dark Souls are all going to be great, but will be a little bit polarizing for their respective fan base. They are all taking a little bit of a different direction than their predecessor, who also cause a bit of a polarizing opinion themselves.

Each one of those games has a chance to split some votes, that's a great year for DS3 to get a sneaky win.

Biff

Good result, and awesome work to the organizers. Tons of great data.

Question though... Why is Rainbow Six: Siege classified as a shooter and not an FPS? It is very clearly a First Person shooter. Am I missing something?

I understand why Battlefront is not an FPS, because you have a camera toggle to jump between TPS and FPS. But this is not present in Siege.

I-hate-u

Each one of those games has a chance to split some votes, that's a great year for DS3 to get a sneaky win.

But I guarantee you right now the camp who loved DS2 more than DS1 and BB, find DS3 disappointing. At the same time, people who got into the souls series with BB will find DS3 slower, and not as enamored.

This is all my speculation based on the fact DS3 it taking more inspiration from DS1 and BB.

Massa

restricting how?!? it's freedom of speech. people vote what they want to vote

I'm talking about general GAF threads. Review and awards threads are known to be pretty bad, the mods have been improving that situation and I hope to see it get even better this year.

Life is strange and Rocket League don't break 1000 votes in 2011.

Neogaf has simply grown since then, I would hardly call it a pretty damn great year.

You're very clearly in the minority in not thinking it was a great year.

Claiming those games wouldn't be just as popular as they are now is just making an asinine assumption too.

Zelda, Uncharted and Dark Souls are all going to be great, but will be a little bit polarizing for their respective fan base. They are all taking a little bit of a different direction than their predecessors, whom also cause a bit of a polarizing opinion among their fan base(s).

Idk I don't see Persona 5 winning here if its combat/dungeons are similar in quality to Persona 4's.

There will probably be a lot of backlash from newcomers, but then again Persona 4 was #2 on NeoGAF's Essential RPGs list so maybe people won't care.
It's still one of my favorite games

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192924092&postcount=318

I think Uncharted 4 has 2016 locked assuming everything falls into place. It is more a question of what will be number 2. That should be a pretty tight race.

gogosox82

Well Scholar is considerably longer than Bloodborne. I've beaten bloodborne on a causal playthrough in like 7 hours (and I don't speed run). But scholar will take me at least 30 hours and that's if I skip stuff. But you are right in that BB only really offers one way to play while Scholar offers a lot more variety in how you play the game.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's double the obnoxiousness!

2015 - If you didn't put Bloodborne as GOTY, you just didn't play it.

2013 - If you didn't put The Last Of Us as GOTY, you just didn't play it.

The obnoxiousness last year came from people shitting on Souls fans in every GOTY thread, it got pretty bad where people shitting on Souls fans outnumbered Souls fans 5:1 or something like that.

It went like this:
- GOTY thread made, BB didn't win.
- Obligatory "Bloodborne was robbed" parody post.
- 50 posters: GOD, Bloodborne fans are annoying, worst fanbase ever.
- Random poster complains about BB's exclusion.
- 50 people gang up on the entire fanbase: SEE, those people are the worst fanbase on the internet, that one guy is our evidence.

And there were "Bloodborne was robbed" parody posts sandwitched inbetween.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Pretty surprising that Metal Gear Solid V didn't get GOTY. It didn't even get second. It still got a respectable third, but this is MGS and GAF we're talking about, here — this should be considered quite the fall from grace.

Sixth place is the perfect spot for Splatoon. It deserves recognition for the many things it does right, but it doesn't deserve to sniff GOTY for its biggest fault — unforgivably terrible netcode.

Hey weekev, the affinity rankings say we should be best buds! Let's grab a beer or something. I'll bet you like Guinness. You like Guinness, right? Let's have Guinnesses while playing some Rocket League — or, if we're really feeling masochistic, Splatoon.

[edit] Oh and I'm pretty disappointed there's no Wii GOTY category
Rodea

The obnoxiousness last year came from people shitting on Souls fans in every GOTY thread, it got pretty bad where people shitting on Souls fans outnumbered Souls fans 5:1 or something like that.

It went like this:
- GOTY thread made, BB didn't win.
- Obligatory "Bloodborne was robbed" parody post.
- 50 posters: GOD, Bloodborne fans are annoying, worst fanbase ever.
- Random poster complains about BB's exclusion.
- 50 people gang up on the entire fanbase: SEE, those people are the worst fanbase on the internet, that one guy is our evidence.

And there were "Bloodborne was robbed" parody posts sandwitched inbetween.
I imagine you only perceive it as this because most of the people saying "Bloodborne was robbed" earnestly were banned for going around and complaining it didn't win in every GOTY thread.

zsynqx

That's double the obnoxiousness!

2015 - If you didn't put Bloodborne as GOTY, you just didn't play it.

2013 - If you didn't put The Last Of Us as GOTY, you just didn't play it.

I am so glad I wasn't a member back in 2013 as I know I would have been one of those obnoxious Last of Us fans.

Uncharted 3 ranked below Skyward Sword in 2011, at #6.

I am not sure Uncharted 4 necessarily has it locked up.

Uncharted 3 was pretty meh though, surprised it ranked that highly.

Alo0oy

Banned
I imagine you only perceive it as this because most of the people saying "Bloodborne was robbed" earnestly were banned for going around and complaining it didn't win in every GOTY thread.

Most of the "Bloodborne was robbed" posts were people "parodying" Souls fans.

Go ahead and google "Game of the year 2015 site:neogaf.com" if you think that's only a perception.

EDIT: I actually remember saying this in one of those threads & one poster outright admitted that he held a grudge against the Souls fanbase for years & it was the internet's opportunity to lash out.

Uncharted 3 ranked below Skyward Sword in 2011, at #6.

I am not sure Uncharted 4 necessarily has it locked up.

Yep, shockingly, it really depends on how good the game actually is rather than what series the game is from.

2016 GotY could go anywhere. Uncharted, Dark Souls, Persona, The Legend of Zelda, Mass Effect etc.

I am so glad I wasn't a member back in 2013 as I know I would have been one of those obnoxious Last of Us fans.

Uncharted 3 was pretty meh though, surprised it ranked that highly.

yea uncharted and zelda sky sword were both meh, i don't how they got more votes then arkham city and mario 3d world.

Alo0oy

Banned
And Uncharted 4 could end up similar in quality. There's no way to tell until it releases.

I played the beta, it's one of the best playing TPS ever, up there with MGS5 actually.

It only needs to not fuck up the story & it's good to go. If they kill off Elena or Sully the game will be out of my top 10.

Yep, shockingly, it really depends on how good the game actually is rather than what series the game is from.

2016 GotY could go anywhere. Uncharted, Dark Souls, Persona, The Legend of Zelda, Mass Effect etc.

Won't be Zelda. Nintendo games have a relatively low points ceiling compared to the rest of the above. I wouldn't be suprised to see Deus Ex with more points than Zelda. Of course, that doesn't mean that there won't be an "Uncharted 3" of next year.
Probably Mass Effect, if it releases, since it will be Inquistion in space and GAF wasn't too high on that game

Top Bottom