• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokémon League | There are 18 badges in GAF; Gary Oak has 20

Quest1

TWILT, I know it's kinda late your time, but if you still wanted to challenge, post here. The dragon gym is located on the West Coast.

PBalfredo

Aggrotek beat me in my first gym challenge, but it was a good fight and a good experience.

Replays:

Battle 1: XLWW-WWWW-WWW6-7GQJ

Battle 2: QYXW-WWWW-WWW6-7GQS 84 Turns long!

STALLS!
SWITCH-INS!
STATUS MOVES!

YOU PAID FOR YOUR SEAT, BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!

Next time I'll remember to give Espeon Shadow Ball -_- Oh well! Live and learn

TWILT

Banned
TWILT, I know it's kinda late your time, but if you still wanted to challenge, post here. The dragon gym is located on the West Coast.

I'm still available for the next hour. Online right now.

EDIT: If you don't see this message in time, I'll be available tomorrow too at around the same times, no worries.

Aggrotek beat me in my first gym challenge, but it was a good fight and a good experience.

Replays:

Battle 1: XLWW-WWWW-WWW6-7GQJ

Battle 2: QYXW-WWWW-WWW6-7GQS 84 Turns long!

STALLS!
SWITCH-INS!
STATUS MOVES!

YOU PAID FOR YOUR SEAT, BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!

Next time I'll remember to give Espeon Shadow Ball -_- Oh well! Live and learn

Holy shit 84?

It took me 28 minutes just to watch the replay. You guys are crazy.

I see why Stealth Rock is so popular now.

Quest1

Lost 2-0 to TWILT. Done in by my own kind... Smh.

Your Dragonite gave me real problems. I think I might need to breed a stealth rock Garchomp now tho...

"I can't believe you defeated my dragons. You deserve your place as a powerful GAF trainer. With this victory, you've earned the Meteor Badge. It makes all pokemon up to level 70 obey. And take this TM. It contains... Well nothing. GGS!"

Next?

TWILT

Banned
Wooo won my first badge! GGs Quest1! If I may, I'd recommend giving one of the dragons a Choice Scarf (I was expecting a scarfed Chomp on your team). Don't think my Dragonite would have swept as much as she did if you had one.

I'll post the replays in a bit if that's okay.
EDIT: Then again, I probably shouldn't show what Pokemon the Gym leader has to other challengers, so :p Still have them; just ask if you really want to see them I suppose.

Quest1

Wooo won my first badge! GGs Quest1! If I may, I'd recommend giving one of the dragons a Choice Scarf (I was expecting a scarfed Chomp on your team). Don't think my Dragonite would have swept as much as she did if you had one.

Yup, switched a scarf in right after haha.

And yeah, I should be good to go again, Ike!

Ike are we friends yet?

@PBalfredo: great team and fun games, that slug was so scary, please gen 7, grass dragon please!

PBalfredo

@PBalfredo: great team and fun games, that slug was so scary, please gen 7, grass dragon please!

Yep, GG. Gastrodon is a beastly little guy, isn't he? I didn't expect Hydreigon to be so fast. Is he scarfed? I thought Espeon would outspeed him to use Shadow Ball (this just isn't the poor guy's night). Though your dragons with a ton of Special Defense is what did it in for me. I love the pokemon on my team, but aside from Leafeon my team is just too Special Attack focused...

Battle 1: YJUW-WWWW-WWW6-7Y4S

Battle 2: 6PBW-WWWW-WWW6-7Y5J

MicH

Super excited for my first gym challenger tonight. It's gonna be very interesting to see if this team even works in practice :D

Usobuko

Banned
Should this be the thread to post if challengers are going to switch 1/2 pokemon from their team?

EDIT: Then again, I probably shouldn't show what Pokemon the Gym leader has to other challengers, so :p Still have them; just ask if you really want to see them I suppose.

Shouldn't be a problem if the gym leader is okay with it. Although it's can be a give away to their moveset/nature/ability/items though.

Edit: What's the current record between gym leaders and challengers?

Gym Leaders - 4

Challengers - 3

?

PBalfredo

Shouldn't be a problem if the gym leader is okay with it. Although it's can be a give away to their moveset/nature/ability/items though.

I dunno if I like everyone seeing what I'm using...

So then are we not going to do Battle Videos at all? Or any kind of match discussions? Because otherwise I don't know how we can keep a gym leader's line-up a secret unless this thread becomes nothing but sterile posts of challengers asking for matches and gym leaders reporting if the challenger won or not. To me, that seems like a bad trade off in the fun of the thread versus the gym leader's ability to surprise each new challenger once.

The way I see it, gym leaders have always been a bit of a known quantity; the challenge is in how you overcome them. It's one thing to know Brock has an Onix, it's another thing to plan how to beat him with a Charmander and a smattering of Route 1 pokemon. We already have the limited team modification rule to keep challengers from trying to cheese gym leaders with swapping in hard counters to their line-up.

I see the gym leader challenge as a learning opportunity, which is why I've been posting replays even if they show me getting creamed. I hope to get feedback from the community to make my team and my game better. I also like the spectator element of Battle Videos and would like to see what other teams use and learn what strategies I haven't even considered. Not just for fighting a particular gym leader, but in general battling and team-building too.

Ultimately it's up to the gym leaders and the league in what they want to do. If you guys want it, I can take the videos down, but those are my two cents on the matter.

Quest1

I say post 'em. It's really fun to watch battles, especially good ones.

Anyone who challenges me has free reign to post battle videos. I'll post the set I had against UltimateIke later on, it was a great set.

Besides, I have a big enough stable of dragons where I can switch it up every once in a while and change hold items, etc.
Gym leaders can change Pokemon, right? As long as they follow the typing rules.

Edit: also, I think it'd be fun if the gym leaders had monotype battles against each other and we posted here. Just keep those damn icicles and demonic fairies away from my dragons haha... On second thought, fairy leader, message me when you can battle, I wanna see something.

MicH

I have no problem with videos of my team posted, though it does give the challenger quite a big advantage.

I just watched some of the videos in the first post and they were very fun to watch. I hope more challengers want to challenge two leaders in a multi battle

In a way it would be nice to keep what I'm using as a secret, but I think in the long run watching the battle videos is more fun. And when you think about it, the pros watch each others battle videos too. There is nothing inherently cheap about learning your enemies tactics.

Just a reminder I am accepting challengers via PM.

Edit: Second reminder, I am giving away a 5 IV baby of any pokemon (of the challengers choice) on my team if the challenger beats me.

Boogiepop

0fc25600-375c-11e3-bd39-068eb5a834a8.png
Got my Trainer Photo and uploaded my badge. Like I said before, the Rock Gym is ready to roll pretty much whenever, just get in contact with me.

Edit: Also, we should probably be keeping a document somewhere of who has beaten what gyms.

Wichu

Attention Gym Leaders: can you record your results in this spreadsheet? It's set to private, so if you don't have access to it yet PM me.

I'm still waiting for my first challenger - is Poison not good enough for you guys? :p

PBalfredo

I have to go to the gym right now (the normal kind the running and lifting and sweating kind) and run some errands, but when I get back I'll challenge leaders that are available.

MicH

I'm available for challengers today as well. I have my first challenger in 3 and a half hours, so I am free until then

Kasumin

Oh, cool! I really like this idea. They did something like this at MAGFest and that was a ton of fun. Thanks for setting this up, everyone. I'll have to see which 6 I'd like to use most...

Nbz

This takes me back to the old days of Gym battles on the ONM forums. You know I might just give this a shot for old times sake haha

JulianImp

I'll be handing out eggs of pokémon I've bred for my team as well. It's an okay reward given that we can't actually trade TMs away anymore.

There's at least two more pokémon that I'd like to breed to afford some more variety, and then there's the whole thing about making a doubles and/or multi-battles team. I really liked having to coordinate stuff with somebody else and would love to do it again.

Quest1

Question to the challengers:

Would you guys like me to develop a 4v4 VGC doubles team for challenges? I know a lot of you guys play that exclusively and dislike Smogon 6v6, so I'm open to it if you guys want. It might take some time tho, literally like weeks to develop something. Haven't had a ton of time to breed like I used to.

Usobuko

Banned
This needs to attract the mainstream audience but I think somehow it becomes too daunting for them to try. Time commitment be damned.

Quest1

Any of the gym leaders who play Smogon 6vs6 singles taking challenges right now?

You gonna be around tonight 6pm-ish PST? I should be good then. It'd be pretty sick to see how myself and my dragons fair against a veteran. Lemme know.

This needs to attract the mainstream audience but I think somehow it becomes too daunting for them to try. Time commitment be damned.

It'd be cool if we could somehow judge skill beforehand, like if we took it easier on some of the inexperienced players like Brock did in Origins. Make it more friendly but keep the cutthroat levels for people who want it.

Top Bottom