• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

wilflare

WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome) 1.3

- Added "hover-to-play" option.
- Added max-height option.
- Added Credits page in Options.

RzJhYt2.png

this update breaks Click-to-play, you need to right-click in order to play
and Hover-to-play only works if you keep the cursor on it :/

DieH@rd

Banned
This needs to be supported natively by GAF, and I hope that whoever oversees this format will enable it to run via GPU acceleration. I have strong CPU, but GPU could help here a lot, especially in WIF-heavy pages.

mitchman

Gold Member
I hope this format is widely accepted, the leap is astonishing. Can't wait for upgraded versions of the old GIFs and awesome new ones.

webp is the natural replacement for animated images, not video. With that said, VP8 is a pretty good codec for video. It's kindof hilarious that GAF just now discovered the video tag from HTML 5 considering youtube has offered it as a replacement for flash for 2 years or so :)

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't understand the comments about CPU usage until I tried changing the firefox script to make everything autoplay. But damn I am loving this so far.

coldfoot

Banned
No it isn't. If it was, then VP8 wouldn't be patent free, it would just be an open source implementation of h.264 like x264. It's an entirely different codec.
No, the software isn't free. I'd prefer to not have to pay to watch animation on the internet, nor have to go through that dumb rights bullshit that GIF went through in the 90's.
Vic encodes h264 and it's 100% free wtf are you smoking with not free. Doesn't work on Apple mobile devices is an automatic fail too.

The user experience in chrome for This is no different than linking a mp4 video file encoded with h264, I guess the fuss is only because 4chan weirdos allowed it or something.

Falk

that puzzling face
Vic encodes mp4 and it's 100% free wtf are you smoking with not free.

This is no different than linking a mp4 video file encoded with h264, I guess the fuss is only because 4chan weirdos allowed it or something.

Personally the big fuss for me is the Chrome extension. But yeah, that did come about from this thread, which came about from etc etc etc.

valouris

This is so amazing. Excellent work man!

The extension could use a couple more options, like

-always start unmuted (for when you have autoplay off obviously)
-always show controls
-fullscreen on left click

TwistedN

YouTube is acting a bit "strange" with the extension and HTML5 on, video plays again when you go to the user's channel, there's some sort of filter effect going on too.

Edit: seems to be a me problem.

-SD-

Banned
I opened 11 gfycat tabs from my bookmarks and Firefox kept using 80-100% of 1 of my 2 CPU cores even after tabs had finished loading. Closed the 11 tabs after a couple of minutes and CPU usage returned to normal.

and it all started on 4chan
Not really.

Webm is just a video format. Not a direct substitute for gif.

Just like HTML5 is no direct substitute for Flash.

apng on the other hand...
Animated_PNG_example_bouncing_beach_ball.png

Guess Who

Banned
We should ask Evilore to allow .webm avatars!

God please no.

WebM is really not meant to be used for replacing GIFs, as you are all starting to figure out. CPU usage is high, especially with a page full of them. This also means draining the hell out of battery life on laptops, and it's entirely unsupported on mobile devices.

-SD-

Banned
Some sites host both the lower quality .webm and the (often hidden) higher quality .mp4 files on their sites. In many occasions I've managed to download the HQ MP4 just by changing webm to mp4 in the URL.

Not really.

If by not really, you mean "4chan's adoption of webm as a replacement for gifs incited the creation of this thread as a direct result" then you are pretty fucking correct, and deserve a pat on the back.

What I don't get is that certain parts of 4chan have been begging for APNG for years now, and instead they get audio-less webm? Is there a technical reason for choosing one over the other?

Arkanius

God please no.

WebM is really not meant to be used for replacing GIFs, as you are all starting to figure out. CPU usage is high, especially with a page full of them. This also means draining the hell out of battery life on laptops, and it's entirely unsupported on mobile devices.

Wrong

I'm so glad that hover-to-play exists, since it ensures that only one webm plays at a time. All I need now is the ability to toggle sound and I'm set.

Frodo

Sorry, but isn't this what Facebook has been doing lately?

I know the videos people post on Facebook now start automatically and muted but they don't loop forever. It is so annoying. Though I think it wouldn't be so annoying here on GAF where I'm actually interested on the subject.

Just tried this webm thing and holy shit, it just works. And looks amazing. This changes everything if GAF fully adopts it, no more Youtube and GIF shit.

Top Bottom