• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Handy Fake

Yeah... Just tried loading a forum page with loads of these embedded...

nuclear-blast.gif

gngf123

I don't know if you guys would be interested, but I was getting annoyed with the videos not resizing with my window, this minor change makes things a lot nicer:

Code:
video.setAttribute('style', 'width:' + 100 + '%;max-width:' + 720 + 'px;');

Instead of video.width = '720', or whatever you have it set to.

May this mark the beginning of the end for Gifs in Neogaf, then the world. Glad to see WebM getting some love, also loving this add-ons till officially supported on Gaf.

gngf123

So are these somehow really tiny files (black magic?) or are they just loading super fast and using all my internet quota?

GIF's are bloated as all hell, these videos can actually be smaller than a lot of them.

GIFs were never meant for the kind of things people have been using them for.

GIF's are bloated as all hell, these videos can actually be smaller than a lot of them.

GIFs were never meant for the kind of things people have been using them for.

This... Gifs have very little in the way of compression applied to them. The only ways to make Gifs smaller is to kill the amount of colors, kill the amount of frames, or use green screening (like gifcam does by default) but all of those techniques can only do so much.

Meanwhile, in the 20+ years since GIF became a standard, Video encoding technology has made tons and tons of leaps.

My CPU went 80°c, holy jesus.

What are people doing to reach these levels? I'm currently on an older non-gaming PC (AMD dual core, A6 processor of some sort) and I'm not even breaking 15% on any of the videos posted.

hesido

Mmmm.
This is the one. The first time I saw this... wooooow.

30fps apologists be damned!

120fps is overkill, especially given that we have yet to convince people of the beauty of 60fps over 30fps. But yeah, we can aim higher, to meet in the middle, at 60fps, I don't mind! This webm thingie should train unsuspecting eyes, a nice start.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My CPU went 80°c, holy jesus.

The newer plugin has hover to play and there's a Greasemonkey script that allows you to right clock and hit play. They all still DL so while I want to be with the popular opinion and say this is awesome and "next gen browsing" little things like not having a choice of whether or not to DL are deal breakers. I will leave the plugins installed as I don't have BW caps but not having a choice on whether something DL's or not bothers me.

also

Banned
Sure - but I thought most other sites have their HTML5 videos embedded already. :p

But until all sites support it, the option would come in handy.
If it's not too much trouble I would really appreciate it if you added the ability to manually add websites. Pretty please.

Top Bottom