• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Orayn

The only WebM that are working for me are the Bayonetta and Titanfall ones.

All of mine are VP8. Can anyone else verify that they're making theirs with VP9? I'm thinking that's why some of these might not be working for some people.

Here's another Titanfall framerate comparison. Pulled out all the stops and gave this one a higher bitrate and res.

http://a.pomf.se/uzvnix.webm

Orayn

Blaming my work monitor; I can't see any difference - and I usually don't have an issue with that.

I keep choosing crappy clips for comparison, but watch the animation when he's climbing into the cockpit. That's where it's most visible to me.

orioto

Good Art™
So i installed it for firefox but i'm still seeing the links as before.

oh just after i poster that it started working, weird.

andycapps

Firefox Addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/webmneogaf/

Works on my machine (FF28, Windows 7)
It has the controls right on the video enabled, so you can skim through the video or toggle audio. Left clickling stops/plays the video.
It will only load the metadata of the video, so you have to manually start the video - your CPU will love this. ;)
The autoplay property in the addon preferences isn't implemented yet.

If you encounter any errors or problems, tell me about it.

Only error I'm having is because I'm on an old version of Firefox (17) and the addon isn't compatible. I would update, but this is a work computer and am unable to do so.

kewlmyc

My job blocks most of these domain names...

spongebob-crying-o.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I keep choosing crappy clips for comparison, but watch the animation when he's climbing into the cockpit. That's where it's most visible to me.

Your problem is splitting the same video and putting the one side (30FPS) that has nothing going on because it isn't holding the gun on that.

You should cut the video and split it to show huge differences. Of course, this requires intensive video work before making it into .webm just like it would if you frame-edited a .gif

Orayn

Your problem is splitting the same video and putting the one side (30FPS) that has nothing going on because it isn't holding the gun on that.

You should cut the video and split it to show huge differences. Of course, this requires intensive video work before making it into .webm just like it would if you frame-edited a .gif

Yeah, I'll probably do sequential and side-by-sides (that show two full videos) later tonight.

DedValve

Banned
Yeah this is obviously the future. I added the chrome extension to autoplay just like normal gifs and tried out the first post, everything loaded instantly (the gi---whiffs themselves where slow for about 20 seconds but there where like 15+ of them on the OP alone).

If this where a shitty j/gif thread I'd still be loading avatars. To bad we can't get them to work on mobile.

Majukun

Firefox Addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/webmneogaf/

Works on my machine (FF28, Windows 7)
It has the controls right on the video enabled, so you can skim through the video or toggle audio. Left clickling stops/plays the video.
It will only load the metadata of the video, so you have to manually start the video - your CPU will love this. ;)
The autoplay property in the addon preferences isn't implemented yet.

If you encounter any errors or problems, tell me about it.
is this the same as the greasemonkey script or does it add anything?

RoadDogg

Do most of these seem to be running really fast to anyone else? Many of the game ones I checked out appear to be going at least 2x the in game speed if not more.

I'm working on something to make WebMs with a click of a single button but I have a question, are 7mb okay for a 10 second WebM or did I mess up the settings somewhere? o.o

Orayn

I'm working on something to make WebMs with a click of a single button but I have a question, are 7mb okay for a 10 second WebM or did I mess up the settings somewhere? o.o

That's not outside the realm of possibility, depending on the quality and bitrate settings used.

Dennis

Banned
Many of the wifs in here look terrible.

The problem is either low quality encoding or using that shitty gfycat compression

The only WebM that are working for me are the Bayonetta and Titanfall ones.

Same here, but when it does work it's magic. Current gen promotionals should have no more excuse releasing shitty compressed YT video clips from now on.

NOW. In recent light of this discovery - can't wait to see the NEW W_D WebM comparison.

hahahahahaha

Blaming my work monitor; I can't see any difference - and I usually don't have an issue with that.

Think that has more to do with the fact that they are side by side in the same video, unless you focus your full concentration on only one side, your brain can't tell the difference (because one eye is getting the full frame rate and "extrapolating" for the other)

Ushiwaka

So you mean to tell me, Sir, that their size is much lower than gif, they have better quality, can be fullscreened and have sound? This is heaven. HEAVEN I SAY

WHERES THE README

I wanna make some videos/gifs.
Here's 4chan's guide:
Grab ffmpeg from https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

It's a command line tool which means you will have to type things with your keyboard instead of clicking on buttons.

The most trivial operation would be converting gifs:
Code:
ffmpeg -i your_gif.gif -c:v libvpx -crf 12 -b:v 500K output.webm
-crf values can go from 4 to 63. Lower values mean better quality.
-b:v is the maximum allowed bitrate. Higher means better quality.

To convert a part of a video file:
Code:
ffmpeg -i your_video.mkv -ss 00:00:10.000 -to 00:00:20.000 -c:v libvpx -crf 4 -b:v 1500K -vf scale=640:-1 -an output.webm

-ss is the start position in number of seconds, or in hh:mm:ss[.xxx] format. You can get it using your video player (Ctrl-G in MPC-HC).
-to is the end position.
-vf scale=640:-1 sets the width to 640px. The height will be calculated automatically according to the aspect ratio of the input.
-an disables audio. 4chan will reject your files if they contain audio streams.

Another encoding guide: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/vpxEncodingGuide
ffmpeg documentation: https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

Okay I figured my file-size problem out, it was just a issue with the videos I used, I tried some others and went down to 496kb! :D I will finish this up later today, then everyone on GAF can make WebM's with as little technobabble and knowledge as possible! :)

Majukun

Haven't tried the greasemonkey script but I guess the addon isn't adding anything.

tried it,the only difference is that the webM video are now showed in a smaller window than in the script version
probably keeping this one because of less scrolling involved
Here's 4chan's guide:

where do you have to put the files to convert?

i tried it but it says that it doesn't find the file or the directory

Top Bottom