• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Not a NES collector, I never owned the system or a SNES. My brother is going to get a RetroN 5 when it launches though, so a whole new world might open up for me then.

Anyway, I do collect Metal Gear games and got this copy recently for €35. Did I overpay? It's a lot cheaper than what CIB MSX copies go for, so I thought it was a good deal. You'd even pay considerably more for a loose MSX Metal Gear cartridge.

ZbowpWE.jpg

Looks pretty good. Considering the condition of the box, I think you did all right. Of course it's PAL, so I'm just assuming it's average in rarity.

Ok, thanks! What does the A in the bottom right corner of the box stand for? I've noticed that some copies have a B there.

Edit: apparently it has to do with PAL regions?

PAL-A games (Mattel or Nes-version) were sold in the UK and Italy, and PAL-B games in the rest of Europe (Scandinavia, Germany, France, Spain etc).
It's not possible to play PAL-A games in a PAL-B console and vice versa.

Source: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=25802

Seriously, Nintendo? Why?

Mzo

It's a lot cheaper than what CIB MSX copies go for, so I thought it was a good deal. You'd even pay considerably more for a loose MSX Metal Gear cartridge.

ZbowpWE.jpg

Well, the MSX version is a considerably better game by a pretty wide margin.

It's a recognizable name brand so of course the prices are going to be stupid in the Dark Age of Video Games.

Well, the MSX version is a considerably better game by a pretty wide margin.

It's a recognizable name brand so of course the prices are going to be stupid in the Dark Age of Video Games.

Well, I haven't played this NES version yet, but I have quite a lot of MSX games (among which Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2). And I already read that this is somewhat of an inferior port.

But even though it's worse than the original, I'd still expect the NES game to be quite pricey given not only the Metal Gear brand, but also because the NES seems vastly more popular among collectors. So you'd expect the prices for games everyone wants in their collection to be higher on NES.

Strangely enough it seems quite the contrary. The MSX library has several €100+ (~US$140) games (CIB) at the current rates. For a complete Metal Gear 2 you easily pay €200 (~US$275) nowadays (outside of Japan at least). Some (like Badlands) can cost you as much as US$375.

And none of those are extremely rare.

Velinos

Looks like prices are starting to come down for some games. I was able to grab Gargoyles Quest 2 for $33 and Dragon Warrior 3 w/ Manual for $34. Only need six more games to complete my collection of NES games I enjoyed as a kid (not including Panic Restaurant since I doubt I will every find it for a decent price).

Teknoman

I added Burai to my get list a little while ago. Forget how I stumbled onto the video, but it looks like something most miss out on.

Teknoman

Well got some nice stuff from the Flea Market today (which I thought I wouldnt find jack...getting such a late start).

Picked up Adventure Island 2, Yo Noid, and S.C.A.T. for 5 bucks each. Havent cleaned / tested em yet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Not a NES collector, I never owned the system or a SNES. My brother is going to get a RetroN 5 when it launches though, so a whole new world might open up for me then.

Anyway, I do collect Metal Gear games and got this copy recently for €35. Did I overpay? It's a lot cheaper than what CIB MSX copies go for, so I thought it was a good deal. You'd even pay considerably more for a loose MSX Metal Gear cartridge.

Can't speak for PAL prices, but US prices for it CIB seem to be a bit cheaper than that,

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Found myself a copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III for 10 dollars. Good price? Either way I now have 1-3 and the Genesis and Snes games. Not to mention it was the only good game I could find in the NES selection.

Teknoman

Found myself a copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III for 10 dollars. Good price? Either way I now have 1-3 and the Genesis and Snes games. Not to mention it was the only good game I could find in the NES selection.

Pretty decent i'd say. Also not enough people talk about how awesome that game was.

ZbowpWE.jpg

I don't know much about collector prices, but the map looks like it's in mint condition. I have a NA copy of Metal Gear NES that I picked up about 10 years ago for about $5, but no box and I imagine the map is really hard to find these days unless it's a sealed copy.

baphomet

NESRGB back in stock.

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php

Better be quick.

Don't forget the special SCART cable (dunno how this works for non-SCART TVs).

No worries, i got my order in : )

If anyone wants their done and cant solder well, id be glad to install it for you, but you would need to order the board/cable. I got mine and Irish's boards ordered so im somewhat tapped out currently.

These sold out in a day last time, so better get on it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh man. I'm tempted. But I'm putting all my console stuff in storage for a few months while I move. There will be additional productions, I hope?

How much you charge Baph?

IrishNinja

^oh please beleive it'll have scanlines, but i won't have to have it on meister mode anymore to hide the ugliness (thanks for that hint boco, been using it since! retiring it soon though haha)

baphomet

Oh man. I'm tempted. But I'm putting all my console stuff in storage for a few months while I move. There will be additional productions, I hope?

How much you charge Baph?

For absolutely everything its like $100 or so. New 72 pin, nicer switch, nicer rgb jack, nes 10 disabled, famicom audio mod, etc. probably like $75 if you wanted the regular switches installed. Install wouldnt be as clean with them though.

He will definitely be doing more runs of them i believe.

For absolutely everything its like $100 or so. New 72 pin, nicer switch, nicer rgb jack, nes 10 disabled, famicom audio mod, etc. probably like $75 if you wanted the regular switches installed. Install wouldnt be as clean with them though.

He will definitely be doing more runs of them i believe.
This is actually with this NESRGB board on a pvm.
Stunning! Got my order in and will finally be responding to your PM shortly. Holidays always mess things up, but I will certainly be taking advantage of your services, sir.

baphomet

Stunning! Got my order in and will finally be responding to your PM shortly. Holidays always mess things up, but I will certainly be taking advantage of your services, sir.

Sounds great! Just a heads up he took like 3-4 weeks before they finally showed up last time. Id be happy to help you out though so whenever youre ready just hit me up.

rothgar

Got Bionic Commando for $4 at a flea market. But most of the other prices were ridiculous. Can't believe I can buy cheaper on ebay than at the flea market.

Can't speak for PAL prices, but US prices for it CIB seem to be a bit cheaper than that,

Rarityguide says US$42 for a CIB copy, which is around €30.

Also the NTSC copies seem to be a lot more common if you check eBay for instance. But then they are probably more sought after too. :)

I envy US collectors for having so much more price comparison options than us poor PAL sods.

I don't know much about collector prices, but the map looks like it's in mint condition. I have a NA copy of Metal Gear NES that I picked up about 10 years ago for about $5, but no box and I imagine the map is really hard to find these days unless it's a sealed copy.

The map is in excellent condition. I didn't even realize it was supposed to come with one. :) Had they sold me one without, I'd still had thought it was complete. :)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
shadowgate, guardian legend and ninja gaiden *thumbs up*

Got Bionic Commando for $4 at a flea market. But most of the other prices were ridiculous. Can't believe I can buy cheaper on ebay than at the flea market.

those people are scum a lot of times theyll get there super early and go search the grounds for games buy them then try and resell them for jacked up prices

IrishNinja

damn, i hate that ive passed on Guardian Legend at like the last 2 garage sales cause i was so sure i had it somehow, but i apparently don't! i never really pictured the NES as a SHMUP box (prolly cause of the processor) but that one's going on the list

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
damn, i hate that ive passed on Guardian Legend at like the last 2 garage sales cause i was so sure i had it somehow, but i apparently don't! i never really pictured the NES as a SHMUP box (prolly cause of the processor) but that one's going on the list

I dunno man. I wouldn't really call Guardian Legend a SHMUP. It's more like a Metroidvania game with SHMUP elements.

-KRS-

Huh. I feel like there are PLENTY of shoot 'em ups for the NES. Especially in Japan. For some years of the famicom's life shoot 'em ups were among the most common genres. That and games with ninjas in them. This was mostly before platformers and rpgs took over completely.

Edit: There aren't a ton of original shmups for the NES/FC though, I'll give you that. Most of them are arcade ports.

IrishNinja

I dunno man. I wouldn't really call Guardian Legend a SHMUP. It's more like a Metroidvania game with SHMUP elements.

oh? even better!

Huh. I feel like there are PLENTY of shoot 'em ups for the NES.

right, i didn't mean they were scarce, but i don't know how many i'd rank as really good - especially when during the latter part of its life, the PCE & Genesis had some truly fantastic ones. likewise with the SNES too, for me - and both times (could be wrong here) i tend to blame the processor, because that's a genre where i think it tends to show more than say RPGs or platformers etc, stuff where less is happening on screen most times.
also i totally don't mind arcade ports! just as long as they're done well.

I've had the opposite problem. Instead of passing things up, I've come home with something only to find out I already owned it. I've finally gotten around to just making a list of what I want still for SNES and keeping it on my phone. Still need to make one for NES.

How can people not like it? I mean just look at it.

I didn't know people didn't like it. I enjoy it. Isn't it also the most valuable of the three NES TMNT games?

Top Bottom