• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Ravager61

So, this might be a dumb question but what is the best place to buy individual NES games online? Is there even such a place?

I kind of like buying stuff on the Amazon Marketplace but paying shipping each time I buy 1 game is not helping me save any cash. I'd prefer a store where I can buy a few games at a time and pay a flat rate for shipping but I'm not sure if any of the shops that come up from googling are credible. Anyone have any recs or should I just give up the search and hope to get lucky at second hand stores (which is also becoming increasingly impossible due to the number of collectors buying everything).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So, this might be a dumb question but what is the best place to buy individual NES games online? Is there even such a place?

I kind of like buying stuff on the Amazon Marketplace but paying shipping each time I buy 1 game is not helping me save any cash. I'd prefer a store where I can buy a few games at a time and pay a flat rate for shipping but I'm not sure if any of the shops that come up from googling are credible. Anyone have any recs or should I just give up the search and hope to get lucky at second hand stores (which is also becoming increasingly impossible due to the number of collectors buying everything).

Where do you live?

There's also eBay, with plenty of reputable sellers with large collections.

http://www.estarland.com/

Stumbled onto this when watching The Game Chasers. Haven't used them but plan on it eventually.

Ravager61

Where do you live?

There's also eBay, with plenty of reputable sellers with large collections.

St. Louis

I search EBay too sometimes but haven't had a ton of luck. If you have any suggestions of sellers that have reasonable shipping and a good selection, let me know.

http://www.estarland.com/

Stumbled onto this when watching The Game Chasers. Haven't used them but plan on it eventually.

Nice. This is pretty much what I am looking for. I might order some cheap ones and see how it goes. Any other sites like this with good selections would be greatly appreciated.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Nice. This is pretty much what I am looking for. I might order some cheap ones and see how it goes. Any other sites like this with good selections would be greatly appreciated.

its where i get most of mine estarland is the best unless im looking for something specific then i use amazon

Ravager61

Made a trip out to a used game store I hadn't been to in a while. This is what I walked away with. All in all a pretty good haul for $58. All of these were $3-$5 except for Heavy Barrel which was $8 but I went with it because I really wanted to play it.

jlmtzwAthHXyy.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Some good pickups there! I was never able to beat Lolo 3 as a kid, and disappointingly that's the only one to not come out on the VC (nor did I ever re-buy the game after my mom gave away all my NES games to a second cousin, back in the day)... I liked how that game had "boss fights" and stuff, to break up the constant stream of puzzling, and the interesting venue changes for levels (like, the underwater levels). Only complaint I have about it is I remember a few too many puzzles relying on the trick where you have to vanquish an enemy, then push a block into the enemy's location to make the enemy re-spawn in a new area, more helpful to you.

Willow is definitely an underrated game. I love how the screen starts shaking and vibrating whenever enemies attack. DQ3 of course is another classic, and Legacy of the Wizard is obtuse as all hell, but enjoy a great Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack!

IrishNinja

I went a little crazy on Ebay over the holidays.

this is a good haul, lotta quality here! i'm totally after the lolos & others too, nice man

Some good pickups there! I was never able to beat Lolo 3 as a kid, and disappointingly that's the only one to not come out on the VC (nor did I ever re-buy the game after my mom gave away all my NES games to a second cousin, back in the day)... I liked how that game had "boss fights" and stuff, to break up the constant stream of puzzling, and the interesting venue changes for levels (like, the underwater levels). Only complaint I have about it is I remember a few too many puzzles relying on the trick where you have to vanquish an enemy, then push a block into the enemy's location to make the enemy re-spawn in a new area, more helpful to you.

Willow is definitely an underrated game. I love how the screen starts shaking and vibrating whenever enemies attack. DQ3 of course is another classic, and Legacy of the Wizard is obtuse as all hell, but enjoy a great Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack!

didn't know Lolo 3 had bosses, or Koshiro did Legacy of the Wizard either!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I live in Europe, but have a ton of ntsc games, and think its finally time to make them run properly. I do have an ntsc toploader, but with only rf, its pretty much useless on my current tv. So what would people suggest, mod the toploader to get a better output (I wont be able to do this myself), or just buy a regular ntsc nes, change the pin connector and have an awesome time? Also, from where should I buy it?

HaL64

So decided to get this repro from Timewalk Games. I'm very happy with it. It's pretty amazing what they do and worth the $50 for sure.

Click on the image for more close ups.

The only thing I don't like is the black color of the cart. While it shows up as very glossy in the pics, it is not that glossy in real life. I think I'd prefer the original color, even if it does have scratches. You can tell them to not paint it when ordering.
I ordered the on 12/23/2013, and just got it today. Which is pretty good turn around time since they say it normally takes 4-6 weeks.

D.Lo

I'm sadly selling off a lot of stuff now. I just can't justify such a big collection.
Selling an entire complete boxed Probotector set. Shame as it's my only complete set of any series, but I mostly play the Contra versions anyway.

Next up, a bunch of Fami Disk games.

My plan is to sell enough to pay for a new XRGB, so I can enjoy what I have left better.

HaL64

looks neat, is it all new maps or what's changed? i keep meaning to look into stuff like this or Zelda outlands one day

I think it's just the map has changed. So far I've played it for like 5 minutes and it doesn't look like the same map from metroid at all. And I just completed the original metroid in preparation for this a few days ago.
Also it looks like the color palette has been changed.

^nice ones man! also Mutant Apocalypse is prolly the best X-men game from that gen too

That and X-Men 2: Clone Wars for the Genesis are my favorite X-Men games, period. Well, those and X-Men: Children of the Atom and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, too.

Since I haven't posted in a long time in a lot of these console threads, I've been posting some new pictures I took a few days ago of my current collections...so, here I go again!

And here's my most recent pick up, which I got after I took the above pictures:

kunonabi

I'm sadly selling off a lot of stuff now. I just can't justify such a big collection.
Selling an entire complete boxed Probotector set. Shame as it's my only complete set of any series, but I mostly play the Contra versions anyway.

Next up, a bunch of Fami Disk games.

My plan is to sell enough to pay for a new XRGB, so I can enjoy what I have left better.

I'd potentially be interested in the famicom disk games if you're selling them on gaf.

That and X-Men 2: Clone Wars for the Genesis are my favorite X-Men games, period. Well, those and X-Men: Children of the Atom and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, too.

Since I haven't posted in a long time in a lot of these console threads, I've been posting some new pictures I took a few days ago of my current collections...so, here I go again!

And here's my most recent pick up, which I got after I took the above pictures:

Everything in alphabetical order, just like me. I like this guy, haha.

Awesome. I always keep everything really organized like that. It's so much easier to find what you're looking for when it's alphabetized.

Exactly. I don't have an NES collection like yours (incredible, by the way) but it helps when finding what you're looking for.

By the way, how's Darkwing Duck? I've always been curious.

Exactly. I don't have an NES collection like yours (incredible, by the way) but it helps when finding what you're looking for.

Indeed (and thanks). I had friends who had everything in a disorganized mess and could never find what they were looking for. Some had everything scattered about randomly...sometimes even mixed in with their clothes inside their drawers. Some had loose discs just tossed about all over their rooms. I have no idea how they can do that. Heh.

I haven't played Darkwing Duck all that much since I got it. I think I mostly played it when I rented it as a little kid. It's a good game, though. It feels a lot like Mega Man, from what I can remember.
I don't recall ever completing any levels, though... I should go play it more. Maybe I'll do that sometime tonight.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Darkwing Duck is a decent Mega Man-clone. Well worth owning and playing imo.

Inotti

What is considered good price for Duck Tales 2 (NTSC)? I've seen (PAL) French and German versions go for 30-40€ but English USA cart seems to be more expensive. Is 60€ good price?

Shining

What is considered good price for Duck Tales 2 (NTSC)? I've seen (PAL) French and German versions go for 30-40€ but English USA cart seems to be more expensive. Is 60€ good price?
A loose cart has been going for about $85-110 the last two years. At least on ebay. 60€ = about $82.

Velinos

Got the last Castlevania with manual and Double Dragon 2 last night.

txoMqVLl.jpg

All that is left to find is Fire N Ice and Lolo 2. Panic Restaurant and Ducktales 2 would be cool, but they are bit pricey so I am not holding out for them unless someone want to make me a deal I cannot refuse.

Top Bottom