• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed Game Reveal

People actually do give a fuck about character. Making a mainline AC with a female protag only be a magnifically retarded idea since most people who play games (especially games like AC) are male.
I guess you should mail Eidos, Guerilla and Naughty Dog then to let them know they are retarded.

If they can give me a Lagertha in AC I will be very happy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fuck yeah! That looks amazing.

Fuck yes.

With Oden on our side
20zgbYk.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No mention of PC or PlayStation, that'll ruffle some feathers.

RedVIper

Banned
I guess you should mail Eidos, Guerilla and Naughty Dog then to let them know they are retarded.

If they want to make a female characther fine, but chose one and stick with it. Having two characters is stupid.

The trailer was pretty meh. I like the older games a lot more, so, let see how this one turns out.

Last edited:
How dafuq should I know they just released a trailer. I'm assuming its the guy we saw.
So you would agree there's no established characters and all of us could give zero fucks if they also introduced a female character that does the same but has a different voice actor/model?

RedVIper

Banned
So you would agree there's no established characters and all of us could give zero fucks if they also introduced a female character that does the same but has a different voice actor/model?

This is moronic. When the first trailer for TLOU released I didn't know who Joel was. That doesn't mean ND should have made an option for me to play as a woman instead.

Kenpachii

7e77603cb05813f96ca28f9f579f7500.gif

Seems like u can create settlements, in england.

a0e3e0f09bb37f26c26827859a848f4f.png

fde5bd1e66b70c414177d4dc2d998774.jpg

Collector editions:

5d746fd10e54e7c5a5e1693cd2b8e89d.png

Ugly as shit statue.

41757741dd0159110dcb69dc9e2459e3.png

It looks pretty much like a reskin of odyssey. Hope it has ray tracing.

Pricing is typically retarded expensive with ubisoft.

100% convinced it has female/male again selection.

Last edited:

Audiophile

I know I've been the debbie downer in this thread but I'm so fed up with CGI trailers at this point; and I don't see an Assassin game, I see brawling and ships again. As a fan of the old games, it's crystal clear this series has none of its identity left and nothing to offer me anymore.

Kenpachii

I know I've been the debbie downer in this thread but I'm so fed up with CGI trailers at this point; and I don't see an Assassin game, I see brawling and ships again. As a fan of the old games, it's crystal clear this series has none of its identity left and nothing to offer me anymore.

Well the screenshots showcase the game really. Its pretty much a reskin of odyssey visually.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Sucks that they went with cringest most pop culture image of vikings, aka soy barbershop barbarians with "honor".

nikolino840

There's no battle ships this time
There's raids and big battles with armies to conquer a land and manage a settlement

Other Infos... double weapons and improves with IA (there's many kind of enemies with unique combat style)

There's multiple choice for answers,Is an rpg style

There's no "cassandra's Power" but there's more skills and less Supernatural stuff

Last edited:

Audiophile

What gets me is that some people think it's less offensive to make a male and female character an interchangeable, soulless husk rather than a compelling singular character of either sex.

As a guy I'd rather have a compelling female character over an interchangeable character just as I'd prefer a compelling male character over an interchangeable character. One way the other doesn't bother me, so to say that it is a result of sexism is bizarre. It's a result of wanting a quality piece of content with strong, coherent narrative-character connection.

Perhaps it's a result of AC going all-out RPG making the idea of character selection more fitting, but for me, the arc of Altair/Ezio etc. was fundamental in the series' identity; as were the charm, atmosphere and motivations brought about by it.

It's like when you look at the new Ghostbusters movie, it's not that it was all women (although I struggle to understand how certain crowds are fine with hand-me-down characters), it's that it lost all of it's charm and identity, it wasn't really a Ghostbusters film. Ghostbusters was dry, sarcastic, witty and surprisingly understated despite the subject matter, it was not an in your face free for all. Yet anyone leveling a reasonable criticism was often grouped in with a tiny minority of arseholes who were genuinely sexist.

It's not about male/female one way or the other, it's about quality and what works for the content.

Lanrutcon

So the trailer was pretty bad. Our hero leads his men to their deaths, loses a duel, sucker punches the victor.

Can't wait for the game to paint the Vikings as morally grey.

But hey, who plays an AC game for the writing? I'm in it to collect shit and stab things.

Andodalf

Banned
They didn't make the character "have no personality" to be able to be either sex. Characters can be great with gender selection see Mass effect. They can also be bland with it, like many games are.

Audiophile

They didn't make the character "have no personality" to be able to be either sex. Characters can be great with gender selection see Mass effect. They can also be bland with it, like many games are.
Just as there are plenty of games that can be bland without the selection, there are plenty of examples that are excellent without it; examples that would have been utterly destroyed if they took the approach Ubi have. You can do your best with it, but it's always gonna be a compromise.

You can't just drop different characters in and out of the same slot and not expect something to give, it's never going to be as cohesive as it otherwise could have been.

There are games where it works to have that compromise, AC never struck me as one of them.

The series doesn't have any of its identity left anymore, so perhaps it's fair enough. But if they pulled the same thing with an interchangeable character in the Altair/Ezio arc, that entire component of the game would have been a dumpster fire by comparison.

I have no problem with choice in many titles and I have no issue with male or female characters, I have an issue with shoehorning it in to appease people at the detriment of the games fundamental strengths.

Last edited:

Guerilla and Naughty Dog have the privilege of Sony exclusive marketing and besides, neither of their games reached AC numbers.
And Eidos? You referring to Tomb Raider? Well, I guess we've seen how well those sold even if you consider the huge brand name push.

AC already tried to push a female protag only game (Liberation) and it didn't sell all that well. Now we can debate about it (or if Horizon would have sold significantly better with a male protag) if this was because it was a handheld game or not but the fact remains. It's a huge gamble and Ubi won't be willing to make it.

obin_gam

Cool that they named the character Eivor which works as both gender (sort of... the or suffix is more aligned with the feminine article but it works without problem as a masculine as well)

Simpkin92

Haven’t played Assassins Creed since 3. Do they still have all of the crappy modern sectIons and story? I hated that

Fuck yes.

With Oden on our side
20zgbYk.png

\m/ \m/

Sacrifice to gods of old
Bleed them of their lives
Fresh blood on our swords
Gods of war arise
Sacrifice to gods of old
Bleed them of their lives
Fresh blood on our swords
Gods of war arise

Game looks awesome!
I just hope the plot will be more consistent as odyssey. And that they finally get rid of the animus story, or change it in a way that it does not ruin the atmosphere.

Top Bottom