• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 3 screenshots

The Flash

Banned
Can't wait for the character creator

0ad.gif

Wagram

Guess I'm never going to beat Witcher3, MGS5 or Fallout 4...ever.

One question I have - new to the Souls genre with BB which I loved and still play months after Platinum-ing it...I have immersed myself in the lore and enjoy reading the theories here or on reddit or even in the Official Guides.

Is there a similar lore story to the DS universe? Where can I read up on it all prior to DS3. At the moment I'm about 10% of the way through SOTFS (havent played DS1) and its a bit confusing re. overall storyline and lore of this world.

Any help apprecaited for a Hunter.

VaatiVidya is where I go for all lore related to Soulsborne. You can check out the wikias as well, but that would be pretty spoiler territory if you haven't touched DS1.

One question I have - new to the Souls genre with BB which I loved and still play months after Platinum-ing it...I have immersed myself in the lore and enjoy reading the theories here or on reddit or even in the Official Guides.

Is there a similar lore story to the DS universe? Where can I read up on it all prior to DS3. At the moment I'm about 10% of the way through SOTFS (havent played DS1) and its a bit confusing re. overall storyline and lore of this world.

For DS1, there's absolutely crazy hidden lore in that game, definitely up to Bloodborne's level

The reason you're confused with DS2 is because that lore just makes a lot of references to DS1 without explaining them.

Can't wait for the character creator

0ad.gif

Nightmare Fuel

Dark Souls 2 is a bit muddy when it comes to the lore so being a bit confused is fine. Moreso if you havent played DS1.

People will tell you to watch VaatiVidya. He's very good at telling stories around the characters within the game, but sometimes takes liberties which arent supported within the game.

Personally I would suggest EpicNameBro. His videos arent as production heavy as Vaati's however he's worked on the guides and when he goes into lore its more often than not based on info found within the game. His older Dark Souls playthroughs are great listens/watch while playing something else.

Even better than all that is playing Ds1 for yourself and seeing what you can piece together on your own.

Let's not act like DaS1 didn't have huge weapons that made no sense.

So realistic.

Excuse my bias is showing. I should have said Greatsword in particular.

sn00zer

Can someone please make a video of two people running into each other holding copies of Bloodborne and Dark Souls. Then the copies fall to the ground stuck together.

"You got Dark Souls in my Bloodborne"

"You got Bloodborne in my Dark Souls."

Then they reach down and pick up a copy of Dark Souls 3

Also Dark Souls inspired by Bloodborne mechanics sounds like the best thing ever. Really hope they keep more of the "streamlined" mechanics from Bloodborne.

Hypron

Excuse my bias is showing. I should have said Greatsword in particular.

Fair enough. Although I kinda appreciate that DaS1's greatsword looks a lot like Guts' first sword ad DaS2's looks like his second sword, the dragon slayer.

But I actually don't really like huge weapons in either games to be honest, they do look silly. I prefer more realistic ones like the claymore. It's just a shame that I find large weapons a lot more efficient than smaller ones, I'd rather not use them...

All those conflicting emotions haha

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So, I was thinking back on the Network Test and if any of this new info we got could tie into that and help me understand it a little bit better.

I know it's futile to talk about lore this early, without even playing the game, but I just can't help it, I'm too excited!

I'll put it in spoiler tags, so people who dislike baseless speculation (I don't blame you, I don't like it either) can just skip it.

Ok.

So, during the network test, there were messages in a tombstone kind of thing, pretty much the Dark Souls III version of Bloodborne's lore notes. One in particular reads:

"Fear the sun's temptations, and the winged executioner."

While playing, I assumed it wasn't being said to the player, but instead we were just discovering a message that was meant to someone else, some unknown figure that we'd get to know about during the full game.

The reason for me to completely dismiss it being said to us was basically "What could possibly be tempting about the sun for us?". Not only human, but a Dark Hero on a quest to kill the resurrected Lords of Cinder, and to destroy the Heirs of Fire. I couldn't see what would be the sun's temptations.

But now, in this last batch of informations and screenshots, we have Ludleth of Courland, a self proclaimed Lord of Cinder. How exactly that works, I have no idea, but that's what made me think about this whole thing. For him to be a self proclaimed Lord of Cinder, clearly that means there is some benefit to being one of them. Unlike what Dark Souls made us think, being a Lord of Cinder is more than just being a hollowed carcass of your former self. The most obvious reason to drive men to seek it would be power, I suppose. Linking the flame doesn't only extend the Age of Fire, but also makes you one of "the God Hand", it makes you a powerful Lord of Cinder.

So, even if one doesn't allign with the gods, hell, even if the gods are no more in this world, the power you can achieve by becoming a Lord of Cinder is still enough reason to drive people to link the flame. That would be the sun's temptation.

Which naturally leads us to the ending. They could actually offer us very similar choices to the ones we had in the first game, but presented in completely opposite ways. We know that there is no good and bad ending in Dark Souls, and it's up to interpretation, but the way the game presents both choices in context is clearly Link the Fire = Preservation of Lordran and Dark Lord = Selfish choice for power. By having us as Dark Heroes, hunting down the Lords of Cinder, perhaps even with the task of putting off the First Flame for good this time, finally starting the real age of men, they could offer us the choice of actively putting the fire off, "for the greater good", or linking the flame, despite what our entire journey lead us to believe was the right choice, in search for power. To make ourselves a new (and now probably only) Lord of Cinder.

Again, as I said, baseless speculation that will likely be 120% wrong once the game comes out, but I was thinking about this on my way home from work, and I needed to talk about it. I NEED THIS GAME NOW.

That's some juicy speculation! I like reading how people prepare their minds for these games. Can't wait for everyone to get their hands on it.

People will tell you to watch VaatiVidya. He's very good at telling stories around the characters within the game, but sometimes takes liberties which arent supported within the game.

Personally I would suggest EpicNameBro. His videos arent as production heavy as Vaati's however he's worked on the guides and when he goes into lore its more often than not based on info found within the game. His older Dark Souls playthroughs are great listens/watch while playing something else.

Even better than all that is playing Ds1 for yourself and seeing what you can piece together on your own.

I agree completely. Vaati tends to jump around in his videos and spoil things unnecessarily for the viewer just so he can make huge, loose connections and get his point across.

I respect Vaati, his production values and what he does for the community, but sometimes he's like a preacher who tries to get us to see and think things that aren't actually there. ENB tends to be more observant, telling us where to look, then making his own interpretation, and encouraging us to do the same. Sometimes he can be kind of...aggressive while he plays, but all in all he's the better pick in my opinion.

Gbraga

Yes, absolutely. The Dark Sousl world is extremely rich and there are tons of stories there for you. The depth you have with the several characters and questlines far exceed Bloodborne, even if overall I still prefer Bloodborne's story.

SOTFS is confusing to you not just because you didn't play Dark 1, that game is confusing, and honestly, I didn't really like what they did with the main story. Some nice side stories, but eeh.

You should play Dark 1 if possible, if not, Dark III will probably have everything you need to understand it. If you really want to experience it but can't play it, I'd recommend EpicNameBro's From the Dark series, the best playthrough of anything I've ever seen, absolutely fantastic. I've played hundreds of hours of Dark Souls and I still learned many things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUqg8XtAHnc

Jombie

I also just really didn't like the way heavy weapons handled in DS2.

The lock-on with str weapons is terrible in 2; you can end up completely missing to the right or the left, especially when you one-hand.

Just give me a Claymore and a Longsword.

Wow. Cannot wait.

Is that last image basically a shoggoth popping out of a set of armor?

Lovecraft and Bloodborne in my Dark Souls. YESSS MMMM.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I love y'all. T_T this the unofficial ds3 support thread. I don't want to over hype anything but I feel it in my gut that this game gonna be special.

Gbraga

That's some juicy speculation! I like reading how people prepare their minds for these games. Can't wait for everyone to get their hands on it.

You can't say absolutely anything? Not even how you rank them after playing 3 or something like that?

Ç_Ç

The lock-on with str weapons is terrible in 2; you can end up completely missing to the right or the left, especially when you one-hand.

Just give me a Claymore and a Longsword.

Great avatar

Wow. Cannot wait.

Is that last image basically a shoggoth popping out of a set of armor?

Lovecraft and Bloodborne in my Dark Souls. YESSS MMMM.

Well, we did have the Xanthous King Jeremiah in Dark 1 :p

Just coming in to look at ONE screenshot to quench my desires...

Did not disappoint. Those slug people look sick.

Now I will go back to ignorance.. April is going to be so good.

God, the filter on that Kirkhammer gif makes it look even cooler than it normally does haha.

I gotta agree, I think DS greatswords are so much cooler than those in DS2.

Greatsword.jpg

That one right there, that's my fave.

I also just really didn't like the way heavy weapons handled in DS2.

You really didn't love the Greatsword in DSII? That's probably my favorite in the series, unless we're counting Ludwig's. DS I had a ton of great ones too though, only series I go fully greatsword in.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You can't say absolutely anything? Not even how you rank them after playing 3 or something like that?

Ç_Ç

I think ranking the games would do them a disservice. They each have their own facets that make them unique and interesting in their own ways.

However, I get the feeling that, particularly in terms of lore, if you're one of those people who was disappointed with Dark 2 for whatever reason, you may find yourself won back this time.

Well, we did have the Xanthous King Jeremiah in Dark 1 :p

Not sure what you're getting at. Xanthous is just an archaic (and very cool) word for "yellow".

bootski

i find it hilarious that people are taking these screenshots at face value after the pre ds2 screenshot/video fiasco.

I think ranking the games would do them a disservice. They each have their own facets that make them unique and interesting in their own ways.

However, I get the feeling that, particularly in terms of lore, if you're one of those people who was disappointed with Dark 2 for whatever reason, you may find yourself won back this time.

Not sure what you're getting at. Xanthous is just an archaic (and very cool) word for "yellow".

Im already sold on the Combat and level design...this is music to my ears. ROLL ON APRIL

Gbraga

cSyHoGN.gif

Exactly!

i find it hilarious that people are taking these screenshots at face value after the pre ds2 screenshot/video fiasco.

I mean, there is a chance it'll be downgraded again, but there's nothing in these shots that looks like a huge leap compared to Bloodborne (aside from IQ, of course). I don't see why not.

Xiraiya

Thaaaat... looks like Dark Souls on the Bloodborne engine.
Exactly what it's seemed to be all along.

I'm fine with that.

You make it sound like people disliking DS2 is baffling, I liked that game alot, but it's not a Miyazaki game and the lack of usual direction and polish in every aspect really shows that, that game deserves to be harshly critized because it's the 3rd Souls game and without Miyazaki they couldn't get it right.

Jombie

It's not going to look as good as those screenshots, not on consoles anyway. I didn't play the network test, but it doesn't look quite as polished as Bloodborne, however, if it's equal or a little less than that then I'm fine with it. As long as it doesn't have consistently noticeable fps problems.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

I may be one of the few people that enjoyed DS2 lore but i admit some of it was just there for the sake of being mysterious and adds nothing to the overall storyline. (Darklurker being a prime example of what i'm talking about). Glad to know this apparently won't happen in DS3.

Maddrical

Screenshots look amazing. Beyond hyped for DS3. I'm surprised people are saying the engine is showing it's age, I think it looks amazing, especially in motion. Bloodborne was a phenomenal looking game. Clearly not attributed to amazing, high resolution textures, which seems to be all some people care about. I know I'll be hitting the F12 button taking screenshots of DS3 non-stop.

Mr_Moogle

Screenshots look amazing. Beyond hyped for DS3. I'm surprised people are saying the engine is showing it's age, I think it looks amazing, especially in motion. Bloodborne was a phenomenal looking game. Clearly not attributed to amazing, high resolution textures, which seems to be all some people care about. I know I'll be hitting the F12 button taking screenshots of DS3 non-stop.

I know right. I mean literally no Souls game ever released has had cutting edge graphics. This is a series that relies on it's artistic direction to create atmosphere. It's never been about pushing huge amounts of polygons. I have to ask if people are looking for the latest and greatest visuals, why are they playing Souls in the first place?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Sorry, I still don't get what it has to do with the post you originally quoted ^^;
Maybe I'm just being dense.

You make it sound like people disliking DS2 is baffling, I liked that game alot, but it's not a Miyazaki game and the lack of usual direction and polish in every aspect really shows that, that game deserves to be harshly critized because it's the 3rd Souls game and without Miyazaki they couldn't get it right.

I meant specifically in terms of lore, but yes, I understand the critcism. Didn't mean to suggest disliking Dark 2 is crazy, or that you're in the minority for doing so. I was just trying to choose my words carefully, as there's a good number of people who love that game, and maybe didn't have much exposure to the lore in the rest of the series.

I may be one of the few people that enjoyed DS2 lore but i admit some of it was just there for the sake of being mysterious and adds nothing to the overall storyline. (Darklurker being a prime example of what i'm talking about). Glad to know this apparently won't happen in DS3.

Hehe, I got called out by not one, but two Big Bosses! ;)

I fully see where you're coming from. Those criticisms are valid, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't quite feel the same magic with Dark 2. (Although I did enjoy discussing it as it's own entity with friends as we played through the game for the first time.)

I haven't even experienced Dark 3 as a complete picture from beginning to end yet, but I firmly believe that it will not let you down in the same way.

Let's not act like DaS1 didn't have huge weapons that made no sense.

So realistic.

It requires a lot of STR to wield those things.

So, I was thinking back on the Network Test and if any of this new info we got could tie into that and help me understand it a little bit better.

I know it's futile to talk about lore this early, without even playing the game, but I just can't help it, I'm too excited!

I'll put it in spoiler tags, so people who dislike baseless speculation (I don't blame you, I don't like it either) can just skip it.

Ok.

So, during the network test, there were messages in a tombstone kind of thing, pretty much the Dark Souls III version of Bloodborne's lore notes. One in particular reads:

"Fear the sun's temptations, and the winged executioner."

While playing, I assumed it wasn't being said to the player, but instead we were just discovering a message that was meant to someone else, some unknown figure that we'd get to know about during the full game.

The reason for me to completely dismiss it being said to us was basically "What could possibly be tempting about the sun for us?". Not only human, but a Dark Hero on a quest to kill the resurrected Lords of Cinder, and to destroy the Heirs of Fire. I couldn't see what would be the sun's temptations.

But now, in this last batch of informations and screenshots, we have Ludleth of Courland, a self proclaimed Lord of Cinder. How exactly that works, I have no idea, but that's what made me think about this whole thing. For him to be a self proclaimed Lord of Cinder, clearly that means there is some benefit to being one of them. Unlike what Dark Souls made us think, being a Lord of Cinder is more than just being a hollowed carcass of your former self. The most obvious reason to drive men to seek it would be power, I suppose. Linking the flame doesn't only extend the Age of Fire, but also makes you one of "the God Hand", it makes you a powerful Lord of Cinder.

So, even if one doesn't allign with the gods, hell, even if the gods are no more in this world, the power you can achieve by becoming a Lord of Cinder is still enough reason to drive people to link the flame. That would be the sun's temptation.

Which naturally leads us to the ending. They could actually offer us very similar choices to the ones we had in the first game, but presented in completely opposite ways. We know that there is no good and bad ending in Dark Souls, and it's up to interpretation, but the way the game presents both choices in context is clearly Link the Fire = Preservation of Lordran and Dark Lord = Selfish choice for power. By having us as Dark Heroes, hunting down the Lords of Cinder, perhaps even with the task of putting off the First Flame for good this time, finally starting the real age of men, they could offer us the choice of actively putting the fire off, "for the greater good", or linking the flame, despite what our entire journey lead us to believe was the right choice, in search for power. To make ourselves a new (and now probably only) Lord of Cinder.

Again, as I said, baseless speculation that will likely be 120% wrong once the game comes out, but I was thinking about this on my way home from work, and I needed to talk about it. I NEED THIS GAME NOW.

I need a coffe to understand and explain this.

WHO was watching
me
killilng sir alonne

Vasili2K38

Amazing screens, and it seems that the game has a bit of Bloodborne tone, at least in art, which is very OK in my book :D .

Auctopus

Yes and it's far, far better in my opinion. In DS1 that is. It's equally ambient and subtle in its storytelling but the story/lore you discover is far less ambiguous than in Bloodborne.

You can start here: http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Lore (or play the game)

Dark Souls 2 did a pretty messy job with lore, essentially copy and pasting DS1's lore in to some Frankenstein story in the future with a bunch of meaningless bosses, I tend to ignore it.

However, FROM have confirmed that Dark Souls 3 will be related in some ways to both DS1 and DS2 so it's best to brush up a little on both in order to get the best out of it.

Ferr986

What if I liked 2 too? :p

Whatever, I know I'm gonna love 3 whatever they do. I'm easy to please when it comes to more Souls.

Endo Punk

So excited! I'm gonna be in stream heaven with this game. Gonna leave it up to the community to entertain me with DaS3 instead of purchasing.

Top Bottom