• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

Finalizer

The part that impresses me most isn't even the video (looks nice, yeah), but that nice little explanation accompanying it. It's refreshing to see developer confidence to say "yeah, shit's in the works, but y'all want a preview, here it is, here's what's wrong and yes, we're workin' on it.

I'm pretty okay with this.

neemmss

It's a shame that both Driveclub and Forza 5 will have to be rushed for launch. Because both will obviously have to cut some corners for that.

I think there could be some really sick driving games on next-gen if devs are given a lot of time.

GT7 will be your best friend. :)

slider

Just checked out videos of PCars. Wow, it looks stunning. A clear generational leap from GT5 and FM5. Everything looks very clean, great detail on the cockpits and the lighting/shading is bang on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2kVtOL5nU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXrjzb-sHls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZxx0hivu4

Wow, love that.

I've never been too sensitive to aliasing, resolution or even framerate. But the sense of inertia and motion in that first video was pretty damn sweet. But I do realise DC is a different type of game and I'm happy with that.

nib95

Banned
Another quick edit to show how without the two tiny areas of aliasing on the rear of the car, the IQ post new AA filter is near perfect. If they just sort out the jaggies on the rear of the car, the game doesn't need to look any cleaner.

DriveClubImage2.jpg~original

Concept17

Aside from the beauty of what's happening here, I gotta say the driving looks just right for me. Very PGR4ish, which is awesome.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Just checked out videos of PCars. Wow, it looks stunning. A clear generational leap from GT5 and FM5. Everything looks very clean, great detail on the cockpits and the lighting/shading is bang on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2kVtOL5nU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXrjzb-sHls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZxx0hivu4

It's definitely sharper, but the one thing a like about this footage is the way G-forces push the drivers head back when he accelerates and the camera reflects that effect perfectly. A must have addition to next gen cars right there.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
i just want to thank rushy for his openness he (and the team and sony) is showing. Its very refreshing and welcome.
Footage looks awesome. The lighting is sick!
get that rear windows Aliasing fixed and stable fps and things are set for me!
very clean, very nice!

Guymelef

There barely is any aliasing now.

Take this shot, I edited just two sections, the bottom of the rear window and the spoiler edge, notice how after this very quick edit, the entire image looks pretty much aliasing free.

DriveClubImage.jpg~original

Give me this Evolution, pleaseeeeeee-

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Just downloaded the video: mind-blowing!

slider

Dammit. I loved everything Evolution did on PS3 and had a feeling that I'd be getting this on/around launch. That feeling is snowballing. Dammit! The list of games I want is growing and I'm sure I'll end up spending more than I ever expected to.

Raymo

There barely is any aliasing now.

Take this shot, I edited just two sections, the bottom of the rear window and the spoiler edge, notice how after this very quick edit, the entire image looks pretty much aliasing free.

DriveClubImage.jpg~original

Well the motion blur covers up some of the few remaining areas. You can see some aliasing on the guard rail through the motion blur. In motion, you notice the aliasing on the foliage a lot more. I'm not saying it looks bad. Just trying to figure out what is going on there. I think it looks great and is a huge improvement from the gamescom build. The lighting in the game is absolutely incredible.

Cuyejo

This is close to perfect in terms of IQ, any criticism is nit picking now, realistically speaking you can't expect to have no Aliasing unless you super sample, which isn't going to happen. Sub-pixel and transparencies aliasing (which shows in foliage, rails and back of the car) are the eternal annoyances... Nevertheless congratulations to Evolution, they've come a long way since the Alpha build, I guess it will only get better from now on. :)

Ty4on

Did anyone notice the shadow 'ticking' across the road as the sun was setting?
It wasn't a gradual smooth transition.

It's about 0.43 seconds into the video.

Planetside 2 also does this and it bothers me there too :/

I'd love to see the shadows slowly move like in real life.

velociraptor

It's definitely sharper, but the one thing a like about this footage is the way G-forces push the drivers head back when he accelerates and the camera reflects that effect perfectly. A must have addition to next gen cars right there.
I love the post-processing in Project Cars. But despite how good it looks, I'm amazed that Driveclub basically holds up in that night video. Evo simply need to eliminate the aliasing on the car. As of now, the textures, modelling, lighting looks great. Just focus on IQ and framerate.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I love the post-processing in Project Cars. But despite how good it looks, I'm amazed that Driveclub basically holds up in that night video. Evo simply need to eliminate the aliasing on the car. As of now, the textures, modelling, lighting looks great. Just focus on IQ and framerate.

I'm positive they will reach damn near perfection. I know there is a lot of nit-picking in this thread but 'perhaps' it will do some good. Rushy must read it and perhaps they're checking to see what would be acceptable and what wouldn't be acceptable. Once they've reduced the moaning to zero, maybe they'll try for 60fps ... you never know!

1- The environmental shadows dont move smoothly, they "jump" form a place to another.

2- Why doesnt the driver's window doesnt reflect the hands/wheel or the speed pointer, but reflects the speedometer ?

Eitherway, looks good, but still doesnt feel next gen :/

velociraptor

1- The environmental shadows dont move smoothly, they "jump" form a place to another.

2- Why doesnt the driver's window doesnt reflect the hands/wheel or the speed pointer, but reflects the speedometer ?

Eitherway, looks good, but still doesnt feel next gen :/
Not sure if serious.

1. Video is sped up to show the day/night transition, hence the shadows 'jumping'

2. Because physics. The light source is not shining on the windscreen. However, the speedometer gives out it's own light and is reflected in the side window.

kuppy

Yes, it looks amazing, but let's be honest, this change comes way to late. Games like Forza should have done such a transition a long time ago, instead Forza only always wanted to look a bit better, so I would say it is not the importance of the new hardware but much more of the attitude of the developer (PGR4 did this for example also very well a long time ago).

Top Bottom