• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

If it ends up being 720-900p prepare for the shitstorm.
I have no doubt that it'll end up being 900p 60fps when it releases. Not sure how 900p will bring forth a shitstorm though since that's pretty much how it's been so far. Seems expected at this point. Hats off to them if they can achieve 1080 but I doubt it.

I'll accept 900p or 1280x1080p like H2A if it means keeping a smooth 60fps, but hopefully it's not 768p like titanfall was last year.

Why would 900p be a shitstorm?

If it's running at 60fps no FPS fan is going to complain that the game is 900p for the sake of a solid 60fps FR.

I'm not going to complain even if it's 720p, but there's a lot of people who will, even if it's 900p.

AlStrong

OFMxMgv.png

Yer' doin' God's work, friend.

I can't breathe.

solis74

In terms of look, Guardians is a huge step forward. While playing in campaign and investigating a Research and Development vessel, the Argent Moon, the detail, foreground and back, were quite breathtaking. The sense of grandeur and immersion even by Halo standards is hugely impressive and in combat the improvement that running at 60fps has engendered is palpable.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/12/halo-5-first-play

Will E3 JUST GET HERE ALREADY!! :)

Is dynamic resolution an option?

I guess it's an option, but not a solution. We all know what happens when they say "look, we have dynamic resolution in our game": 90% of the game is 900p and 10% (cutscenes and the menu) is 1080p.

I'd rather have 900p with better AO or something else than dynamic resolution.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Fuck the graphics, I just hope they bring back Halo 3 brute design back. Was just playing ODST, and breaking their shied and killing is so freaking satisfying. Something I didn't like in Halo 4.

scently

My money's on 1080pr or dynamic res.

That's my bet too. I would much prefer 1328x1080 than 900p. I mean, H2A used it, COD:AW was between 1360x1080 to 1080p dynamic res with amazing graphics for a 60fps title, FC4 used 1440x1080p. These are all made by third party studios so I expect H5 to use it or something in between as it has much better IQ than 900p.

Akai__

Fuck the graphics, I just hope they bring back Halo 3 brute design back. Was just playing ODST, and breaking their shied and killing is so freaking satisfying. Something I didn't like in Halo 4.

Your edit still doesn't make sense as Brutes weren't in Halo 4. #NeverEdit
kappa.png

Elites, Promethean, Brutes and Flood in Halo 5 would be pretty good. Would make up for some diverse gameplay.

Brutes also weren't shielded in halo 3...

They were.

cool_dude

Banned
"Forty thousand lines of dialogue have been recorded – more than on any other Halo title"

Really like this, especially with all of the story build up in Hunt The Truth.

Power armor with shields
Meh just looked it up and that is correct although not the traditional halo shields, but that's really dumb because EVERY shield in halo be it jackal or those barricades have some reaction when hit.
Which has shields.

Especially since we're talking about ODST, where it even looks like spartan/elite shielding when you shoot it.
I know he was talking about ODST but he mentioned the halo 3 style brutes which was ODST's parent game.

HTupolev

but that's really dumb because EVERY shield in halo be it jackal or those barricades have some reaction when hit.
Halo 3's brutes do feature a sort of electronic/plasma/whatever impact effect when shot, and the lights on their armor change color as the shield is drained (along with blue foggy effects and lots of arcing). It's not telegraphed very obviously, but it's definitely not just armor plating.

But really, the main reason it gets called "shields" is that the gameplay effect is the same as the elite/spartan shields aside from the lack of recharge once broken, and "shield" is a 1-syllable word. Nobody wants to say "power armour" during a battle.

Halo 3's brutes do feature a sort of electronic/plasma/whatever impact effect when shot, and the lights on their armor change color as the shield is drained. It's not telegraphed very obviously, but it's definitely not just armor plating.
Well that clears up my issue of not being able to instantly kill them with a burst to the mouth, but I still don't like it.

Totally just my opinion so treat it as such but for me the execution has been poor. Comics have been awful, Nightfall was.....aye well and even the Traviss books were average (and I freaking adore her Rep Com stuff).

Add in the fact that I don't really gel with plot details being kept out of the games (you know the things that gave birth to the series, it's popularity etc) and as I say it's been poorly executed - and that's coming from someone that has followed the non game stuff.

Oh and on a personal level - what was done to team Firefly in the ODST novel......meh.

No, I get that a lot of the fanbase doesn't dig the stuff they have been doing but that's inevitable. You can't please everyone.

I'm not really talking so much quality as I think that it varies, I'm more referring to them treating everything as part of one universe. That wasn't really a thing with Bungie. They certainly had no issues retconning certain things with Reach, which was understandable from their perspective. But 343 have embraced the multimedia stuff in a big way and I love that.

Stinkles are you nervous about how people are going to react to the campaign preview at E3?
While I can't/won't speak for him I can't imagine anyone in this type of situation won't have at least some nerves I think it's just natural. Unless you blaze it up all day every day.

rokkerkory

I agree. So far as I and I think quite a few of us are concerned, a stable 60fps is more important than aspect ratio. Rest of GAF though...? Monday should be a fun day.

your avy lol

I bet E3 will be at 720p and work it's way up to 900p or there abouts by launch.

Top Bottom