• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

The Flash

Banned
Because image quality is more important than ever since we entered the high definition era. If we're talking framerates why the hell would we settle at 60fps? We should be aiming for 120fps minimum since that's where images in motion really shines. Crisp as hell.

Halo at 4k/120fps. Is that what you want?

tuna_love

Banned
Word! Point is that going back below standards even with a more fluid framerate like 60 hurts the game more than it does it good. 30fps done right is a completely smooth transition between every frame. Blurrier mind you, but all the same still smooth and for Halo I'd say it's good enough.
I get what you're saying and know a few will agree. But id rather they just used what ever funky resolution they choose and stick to 60fps.

knerl

You ain't thinking big enough, lets dial down the FPS even more and make the game run at 10 FPS and increase the resolution even further since image quality trumps the fluidity of gameplay. XD

Cause that's exactly what I said you moron. ;DXX:SD_SD:;))
There's a difference between having a perfectly good framerate and a crisp image and this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Word! Point is that going back below standards even with a more fluid framerate like 60 hurts the game more than it does it good. 30fps done right is a completely smooth transition between every frame. Blurrier mind you, but all the same still smooth and for Halo I'd say it's good enough.

There are gameplay, physics and control inputs also happening at 60fps, not just the pixels being rendered.

Cause that's exactly what I said you moron. ;DXX:SD_SD:;))
There's a difference between having a perfectly good framerate and a crisp image and this.

Calm down lads. Calm down.

There are gameplay, physics and control inputs also happening at 60fps, not just the pixels being rendered.

Calm down lads. Calm down.

Can you not just tell everyone it is Monday at Microsoft so we can get some Halo 5 Campaign and Multiplayer footage? I want to know what this new Game Mode for Halo 5 is.

Ah hell, just two more days. The Witcher 3 is getting me through it though.

Solidsoul

Banned
I am not saying I'm above it at all because I definitely am not, but damn the Halo community is hard as hell to please. Looking at the shots and info from RUL you'd think there would be nothing but praise.

jem0208

Also I feel dirty for agreeing with you.

You love it really. Join the dark side, we have terrible amazing opinions.

Zdg1IU7.png

AfroDust

Oh, great. We're bitching about resolution and framerate again. Didn't 343 come right out and say from the beginning that the game was 1080/60? The Beta was in 720p but I believe they released a statement saying that they were focused more on how the game played than how it looked at that moment. This resolution/framerate debate has gotten pretty out of control.

Edit: I would link to them talking about it on techradar but I can't figure out how to link it from my phone, but just Google Halo 5 1080p 60fps.

Oh, great. We're bitching about resolution and framerate again. Didn't 343 come right out and say from the beginning that the game was 1080/60? The Beta was in 720p but I believe they released a statement saying that they were focused more on how the game played than how it looked at that moment. This resolution/framerate debate has gotten pretty out of control.

Well, they never actually said it would be 1080p. 60fps, yes, but never 1080. And frankly, I'm okay with that.

RoKKeR

Would be totally fine with either dynamic 1080p like Witcher (though it mostly stays at 900p) or the resolution solution they used for H2A.

AfroDust

Well, they never actually said it would be 1080p. 60fps, yes, but never 1080. And frankly, I'm okay with that.

Apparently when the game was first announced in 2013 the statement issued promised 1080/60 but that same statement also said it would be out in 2014 so I'm not sure we can trust that at all. Still though, same here. If the game is fun I don't give a fuck what resolution it runs at.

According to the beta yes. Doubt they can push the resolution very much at the end of the development cycle. 1328x1080? They couldn't get H2A running at 1920x1080? That's very underwhelming. I can't expect it too look amazing when it's lacking so much in the resolution department. I can expect it to look good, but not more. 1328x1080.....there goes my urge for MCC.

How about we just wait two days to have these debates and not jump to conclusions about a game's final resolution based on a beta 1 year out.

We all appreciate your sincere concerns, though.

Stinkles

Apparently when the game was first announced in 2013 the statement issued promised 1080/60 but that same statement also said it would be out in 2014 so I'm not sure we can trust that at all. Still though, same here. If the game is fun I don't give a fuck what resolution it runs at.

I don't think we ever made any such claim. That was MCC.

They've only committed to 60 frames, nothing else during the announcement. And they were super smart with their "And your journey begins this fall" statement, which left them with more then ambiguity to have MCC be that "journey".

There will always be concessions but my opinion frame rate is key for Halo since it's a competitive shooter. If they manage 900p60fps that will be impressive on this hardware.

Leyasu

Banned
I don't think we ever made any such claim. That was MCC.

And there you go.

Without putting words in your mouth Stinkles, I think the 1080p native discussion can be put to bed... It ain't happening. In a way I'm pleased. Because I don't want it taking priority over other things.

P.S perhaps you should change your avatar no??

A good image quality is as important as a good framerate to me.

Muddy 720p with a lot of aliasing is not something to be happy about...

60fps is definitely much better for Halo, but what I really want is for the controls to be refined. What makes the old games feel dated are the somewhat delayed and sluggish inputs and aim acceleration. ODST is probably my favorite game and it's been difficult for me to sit through and play it again. Maybe the port has issues? Either way, it just feels slower than I remember.

I'm not fond of Sprint in Halo, but I hope that Halo 5 has indeed sped up the general movement and handling of the game.

Hate to reference that silly 'pastebin leak' (99% likelihood of being fake) from E3 2013, but would a setup with a 1080p HUD & weapon with Halo2Anny resolution be possible:

"There are a few drawbacks with aiming for 60 FPS. First the game will not render in native 1080p. Current resolution on display plane 2 is 1920x720 (1,3 Megapixel compared to 2 for 1080p), display plane 1 (HUD an weapon) will be native 1080p. You literally cant tell the difference."

I'm just curious if such a method is feasible. Personally, I found Halo 2: Anniversary to be largely a charming game to look at. The only garish part to the visuals, was having a big non-native-resolution weapon, blotting out a quarter of my screen at all times. Would love for that to be amended.

RSB

Banned
No need to keep repeating that, I'm aware the ADS implementation in Halo 5 is nowhere near as awful as in most modern console shooters, I've said it many times myself; but the fact is, it is not completely cosmetic (as they said it would be back when we first saw that ADS gif) and yes, IMO it is still a terrible addition to Halo (or any shooter, really)

If you wanna keep trying to rationalize 343's decision, go ahead, but at the end of the day, both its visual implementation (gun in the middle of the screen) and the mechanical changes made to the aiming model (for autos at least) and control schemes (LT to aim control scheme users not needing to worry about de-scoping) are there to appeal to the modern shooter crowd.

The sad thing is, I could totally see them implementing full blown ADS in Halo 6 (with its usual accuracy and movement speed penalties) They probably wanted to avoid an even bigger backlash from fans, and they are just implementing ADS in phases. I hope I'm wrong, though, we definetly don't need the console shooter market to be even more homogeneous than it already is.

100% wrong.
Awesome.

Now we just need that classic scope option and everything would be perfect (well, almost, but since I pretty much never use automatic weapons I can live with the other changes)

Stinkles

60fps is definitely much better for Halo, but what I really want is for the controls to be refined. What makes the old games feel dated are the somewhat delayed and sluggish inputs and aim acceleration. ODST is probably my favorite game and it's been difficult for me to sit through and play it again. Maybe the port has issues? Either way, it just feels slower than I remember.

I'm not fond of Sprint in Halo, but I hope that Halo 5 has indeed sped up the general movement and handling of the game.

It has in a few ways. Slightly increased base speed (over the beta) - 60fps simulation - meaning almost everything is tracked at the higher frequency, including control inputs and other stuff.

I think - and you will see this in multiplayer footage - the clamber and other mobility improvements really increase the map navigation speed and increase your movement options radically.

This is my personal opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt and remember it's subjective, but now the game feels to me like a fast Halo, with a depth of advanced movement and offensive controls (ground pound, charge etc) that feels almost like a fighting game in terms of how you can chain things together on the fly. There are going to be some epic multikill movies from that, and it's going to add another layer of control mastery to the skill tree for the game.

The sad thing is, I could totally see them implementing full blown ADS in Halo 6 (with its usual accuracy and movement speed penalties) They probably wanted to avoid an even bigger backlash from fans, and they are just implementing ADS in phases. I hope I'm wrong, though, we definetly don't need the console shooter market to be even more homogeneous than it already is.

100% wrong.

It has in a few ways. Slightly increased base speed (over the beta) - 60fps simulation - meaning almost everything is tracked at the higher frequency, including control inputs and other stuff.

I think - and you will see this in multiplayer footage - the clamber and other mobility improvements really increase the map navigation speed and increase your movement options radically.

This is my personal opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt and remember it's subjective, but now the game feels to me like a fast Halo, with a depth of advanced movement and offensive controls (ground pound, charge etc) that feels almost like a fighting game in terms of how you can chain things together on the fly. There are going to be some epic multikill movies from that, and it's going to add another layer of control mastery to the skill tree for the game.

100% wrong.

Appreciate the reply. Perhaps the framerate difference is why the MCC is feeling sluggish to me; the controller inputs are tracked at a lower framerate or something?

I don't necessarily mind a "slower-paced" game, but the handling and feedback in particular were some reasons why I couldn't get into the beta.

I do like the concept of mobility options, but the flow of the game with them present was a mystery to me. On the one hand, it felt like you'd die quickly if you were caught sprinting or clambering, but on the other hand it seemed like it was easy to evade combat, primarily with thrusting. The latter is one of my issues with sprint in Halo, but the main problem is the overall size of maps potentially being elongated to account for that increased mobility. Larger maps can make the game feel slower. I imagine it's been tough to find a balance between the kill times. I'd prefer something faster than we've seen in the last few games, but at the same time I don't want the intimacy of the combat to be lost or distorted between the abilities and quicker kill times.

The changes made post-beta look good so I wont be able to comment on handling or pacing until I play the new iteration. Pacing can be adjusted, so it's that controller feedback I'm really hoping 343 was able to refine.

Leyasu

Banned

100% wrong.

The beta already felt great to control. I can't wait for the finished product.

Top Bottom