• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

jelly

Does the game informer article mean we won't see the campaign level they saw at E3 or no campaign at all and they're just showing the BTB multiplayer?

"We visited 343 Industries’ offices to play Halo 5: Guardians’ tweaked post-beta multiplayer and got the world-first hands-on time with Master Chief’s side of the campaign (the latter of which you won’t see at E3). "

jem0208

80jVp6N.png

This deserves to be posted as well:
BSrA54X.png

VSCEuoY.png

Akai__

Does the game informer article mean we won't see the campaign level they saw at E3 or no campaign at all and they're just showing the BTB multiplayer?

It says not the Master Chief perspective. We will probably see Locke's perspective with a coupple of Squad Commands and Spartan Abilities.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

"We visited 343 Industries’ offices to play Halo 5: Guardians’ tweaked post-beta multiplayer and got the world-first hands-on time with Master Chief’s side of the campaign (the latter of which you won’t see at E3). "

based on the wording, i bet we see a campaign demo from locke's point of view

Leyasu

Banned
Supposedly next-gen console?

Have you seen games like Horizon 2?

Also 720p is not the final resolution by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't want to get into the res stuff again. But am I the only person who feels that they could be going for 1080p at a great cost to everything? I imagine that there is pressure from above to tick as many boxes as possible.

I would be more than happy with 1080pr

singhr1

And i was hoping you would not come up with that DX12 ... the Hardware is what is is. And DX12 wont change that.

Uhm Halo 4 on 360 was 720p/30fps with a lot of cutted to achieve that.

Halo 5 is 60fps with a new PBR Renderer.

We should simply wait until Monday ;) And i dont want to derail this topic with our graphics talk^^ ;)

That 30 fps was hard to maintain too. Lots of drops in big battles. Terrible frame rate in split-screen

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
as long as resolution is higher than it was in the beta, i'll be fine. i just hope the engine is really tweaked for massive scale battles and large environments. halo 3 is begging to be outdone.

Solidsoul

Banned
I've already mentioned once how much better I think the Promethean Warriors look but I also want to say...

Halo 5's graphics are phenomenal. I can't believe we're complaining. This is how I've always wanted Halo to look. It doesn't look a whole lot different than 4 but why is that a problem?

Halo 4 was in 1080p because it was designed on 360, Halo 5 is not gonna be 1080p with the advancements made. Even of its 720p, isn't it the great game that matters? For the record I think it will be somewhat higher than 720p but we can't have it all.

These graphics are a dream come true.

jem0208

I've already mentioned once how much better I think the Promethean Warriors look but I also want to say...

Halo 5's graphics are phenomenal. I can't believe we're complaining. This is how I've always wanted Halo to look. It doesn't look a whole lot different than 4 but why is that a problem?

Halo 4 was in 1080p because it was designed on 360, Halo 5 is not gonna be 1080p with the advancements made. Even of its 720p, isn't it the great game that matters? For the record I think it will be somewhat higher than 720p but we can't have it all.

These graphics are a dream come true.

H4 was 720p.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Speaking of your attributes, I've noticed something, you and Clark Gregg share the same voice. How? It's like exactly the same.

If you don't know Clark Gregg most recently would be known for agent coulson from Marvels cinematic universe.

As long as he's not some jobber who suffers a meaningless death to advance handsomer characters' plots, I'll take it as a compliment!

720p. At 720p 60fps is not impressive at all. Not for a supposedly next-gen console. Also. How to you know it will be able to run at a constant 60? It's not out yet.
One thing that bothers me in this game is that metal never really look like metal. Looks a lot more like plastic. At least when it comes to the armours.

Supposedly next gen console, oy vey.

Final game is almost certainly not going to be 720p.

This deserves to be posted as well:
BSrA54X.png

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

knerl

Where do you get that the final game will be 720p? According to the beta or what?

Josh Holmes about the beta:
"So, for the beta, we're going to be coming out at 720p and 60fps. That's not the final resolution for the game. You can imagine as we go through the remainder of the project we'll be focused on polishing the visual look of the game. You can expect it will look amazing when it comes out."
Source

I guess the final game will be 1328x1080 that H2A is using, looks sharp enough if you dont make a direct 1080p comparison

Also I dont think it's the goal to make the armors to look like metal. Only Halo CEs armor was a bit more shiny, but every MJOLNIR in Halo is not intented to look like bare metal

According to the beta yes. Doubt they can push the resolution very much at the end of the development cycle. 1328x1080? They couldn't get H2A running at 1920x1080? That's very underwhelming. I can't expect it too look amazing when it's lacking so much in the resolution department. I can expect it to look good, but not more. 1328x1080.....there goes my urge for MCC.

According to the beta yes. Doubt they can push the resolution very much at the end of the development cycle. 1328x1080? They couldn't get H2A running at 1920x1080? That's very underwhelming. I can't expect it too look amazing when it's lacking so much in the resolution department. I can expect it to look good, but not more. 1328x1080.....there goes my urge for MCC.

They've said thousands of times that 720p is ot the final res and that they're targeting a higher res, probably 1080p.

knerl

Supposedly next gen console, oy vey.

Final game is almost certainly not going to be 720p.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Even if they push it to said 1328x1080 it's still not impressive. With the standards we have today that's bull. I'd rather they ran it in native 1920x1080 at 30fps. A framerate that was never an issue with earlier entries.

what happened to Chief being last spartan of his generation ?

Was never actually true.

Even if they push it to said 1328x1080 it's still not impressive. With the standards we have today that's bull. I'd rather they ran it in native 1920x1080 at 30fps. A framerate that was never an issue with earlier entries.

See, I read this and I just hear "list wars are more important to me than actual gameplay." 60fps matters, a lot. Shit, it even improves image quality when the game is actually in motion. But since it doesn't translate well to static images, it tends to be undervalued in fanboy shitfights.

knerl

They've said thousands of times that 720p is ot the final res and that they're targeting a higher res, probably 1080p.

A thousand times really? Why would you assume that they're targeting 1080p?
Also. When we speak of 1080p we mean native 1920x1080. You really think they'll deliver native 1080p running at 60fps considering the hardware? It's Halo. Halo comes with massive scale. Massive scale at that res and framerate doesn't come cheap.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

giphy.gif

Did you play the beta? After playing MCC, and Halo 5 beta. Going back to 30fps would be terrible.

knerl

Was never actually true.

See, I read this and I just hear "list wars are more important to me than actual gameplay." 60fps matters, a lot. Shit, it even improves image quality when the game is actually in motion. But since it doesn't translate well to static images, it tends to be undervalued in fanboy shitfights.

As soon as someone isn't impressed with a favoured game they're automatically fanboys.
For fuck sake. We live in an age where native 1080p is a given. Dialing that back to 1328x1080 even while running at 60fps is piss. Objectively speaking. In terms of tech Halo 5 so far isn't very impressive compared to what we have as a standard.
60fps gives you a slightly less blurry image while in motion and that's great, but the lack of pixels ruins the overall image quality at the same time. Especially when it comes to effects.

Welfare

The "standards" lol. FPS is much more important in a game like Halo than resolution.

tuna_love

Banned
As soon as someone isn't impressed with a favoured game they're automatically fanboys.
For fuck sake. We live in an age where native 1080p is a given. Dialing that back to 1328x1080 even while running at 60fps is piss. Objectively speaking. In terms of tech Halo 5 so far isn't very impressive compared to what we have as a standard.
60fps gives you a slightly less blurry image while in motion and that's great, but the lack of pixels ruins the overall image quality at the same time. Especially when it comes to effects.
We should live in an age where 60fps is a given

knerl

The "standards" lol. FPS is much more important in a game like Halo than resolution.

Cause every Halo since 1 has targeted high framerates lol.
That's been THE number one argument for them running at 30fps. Halo being a slow fps game that is.

It's not because you're unimpressed, it's the way that you're unimpressed that makes me think you're more concerned with stupid internet e-peen measuring than with actual performance. 60fps>>>1080p, especially for an FPS. Ideally, they'd have both, but so far that seems like a no-go this gen. So, if forced to choose, I say go with the higher frame rate. 60fps should be the standard.

knerl

It's not because you're unimpressed, it's the way that you're unimpressed that makes me think you're more concerned with stupid internet e-peen measuring than with actual performance. 60fps>>>1080p, especially for an FPS. Ideally, they'd have both, but so far that seems like a no-go this gen. So, if forced to choose, I say go with the higher frame rate. 60fps should be the standard.

I could as easily turn that argument back at you. I think it's the way YOU'RE impressed that makes me think you're more concerned with said measuring.

You favour 60fps over 1080p. I want them both or if I have to choose I'd take the higher resolution with a framerate that's industry standard while trying to push visuals on consoles. Especially for a slow moving shooter as Halo.

tootsi666

Resolution doesn't really matter in a competitive shooter. Frame rate matters a lot in a competitive shooter. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Dynasty

At the year old native 1080p standard yes.
You do realize that they could push for 1080p but would have to lower effects such as lighting effects making the game look worse?
I believe it was Crytek who released screenshots of Ryse running at 1080p and 900p, the 900p screenshots looked better due to increase in texture quality and lighting effects.

jem0208

I could as easily turn that argument back at you. I think it's the way YOU'RE impressed that makes me think you're more concerned with said measuring.

You favour 60fps over 1080p. I want them both or if I have to choose I'd take the higher resolution with a framerate that's industry standard while trying to push visuals on consoles. Especially for a slow moving shooter as Halo.

LG3SZ8C.png

knerl

30fps vs 60fps? Lol. Why is this even a discussion?
Because image quality is more important than ever since we entered the high definition era. If we're talking framerates why the hell would we settle at 60fps? We should be aiming for 120fps minimum since that's where images in motion really shines. Crisp as hell.

tuna_love

Banned
Because image quality is more important than ever since we entered the high definition era. If we're talking framerates why the hell would we settle at 60fps? We should be aiming for 120fps minimum since that's where images in motion really shines. Crisp as hell.
Well fuck it. Lets target 2160p while we are at it.

knerl

You do realize that they could push for 1080p but would have to lower effects such as lighting effects making the game look worse?
I believe it was Crytek who released screenshots of Ryse running at 1080p and 900p, the 900p screenshots looked better due to increase in texture quality and lighting effects.

Yes of course. It's all about balance. I'm just shedding light on it not being very impressive considering what we have as a standard today. And the Ryse comparisons looks worse at 900p even with higher quality textures since you lose a lot of detail lowering the general resolution.

knerl

Well fuck it. Lets target 2160p while we are at it.

Word! Point is that going back below standards even with a more fluid framerate like 60 hurts the game more than it does it good. 30fps done right is a completely smooth transition between every frame. Blurrier mind you, but all the same still smooth and for Halo I'd say it's good enough.

jem0208

60 fps is far more important than image quality.

Word! Point is that going back below standards even with a more fluid framerate like 60 hurts the game more than it does it good. 30fps done right is a completely smooth transition between every frame. Blurrier mind you, but all the same still smooth and for Halo I'd say it's good enough.

Yeah, no.

60fps isn't just visually smoother, the gameplay difference is very noticeable. The difference between 60 and 30 is more noticeable than the difference between 900p and 1080p.

Top Bottom