• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

JackHerer

06.jpg

I like this one as well. I dont know if it's been posted.

Still really don't like the scope on the sniper. It's almost the same as Halo 4 and it looks bad, especially in first person.

Honestly? If 343 gives me a Moonraker-esque space assault, they could all come round to my house and take turns stomping my kneecaps and I'd still thank them for pleasure of playing their game.

that would be a sight to behold.

Palmer's armor looked great contrasted with some of the alien environements in Spartan Assault

Kalentan

Ewwww. I hope that's only how that fanatic faction looks like. Arbiter's faction (and the others) should look like the older designs, imo. :/

Most probably don't realize there is multiple species of Jackals (and subspecies of the two main species). The ones you see in 4 and 5 didn't replace those from CE - Reach.

In fact here is both designs standing next to each other in the comic: Escalation:

D2AfjTE.png

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i dont like that they kept the halo 4 covie and promethean designs. the new promethean looks pretty lame too. my only disappointments thus far, at least they've tweaked the promethean weapon set.

i dont like that they kept the halo 4 covie and promethean designs. the new promethean looks pretty lame too. my only disappointments thus far, at least they've tweaked the promethean weapon set.

Prometheans in general are just goofy looking antagonists if you ask me. Halo feels weird with "biomechanical" enemies.

Vire

New Prometheans look even more like lame nondescript human robots now.

At least before they had the whole beetle insect thing going on with the knights. I really don't like that new character design.

Prine

Banned
Prometheans in general are just goofy looking antagonists if you ask me. Halo feels weird with "biomechanical" enemies.
Agreed. They are striking, and I mean that they don't feel they belong to the world. Horrible design and terrible to play against.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You people really are overstating how good Halo 4 looked. I mean it looked pretty good but this is far better.

Eh. I don't think so. I never thought Halo 4 was an amazing tech uncle feat. It looked good sure, but it sacrificed a lot of nice features from Halo3/Reach to get there.

The lighting in Halo 5 just doesn't look like the leap we should've expected. And my expectations were low.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think Prometheans would be better if the Knights had legitimate weak points (that were obvious), the Watchers couldn't attack AT ALL (they should just be used as support, and 343 could even give them more support functions to balance taking away the ability for them to attack), and I don't think the Crawlers should be able to wield weapons, but they should be deadly if you get into close quarters combat with them (although they should be easy to fend off if you can shoot them from range).

Hi there, I'm new to GAF and I wanted my first reply to be for the HaloGAF community.

Regarding the new pics, have you seen how the grunts look now? I mean, I like everything that has been shown from Halo 5, except the grunts. Look at this:
Halo-5-Guardians-Grunt.png

rokkerkory

Can you guys imagine all the different sides we (Blue Team) have to fight against?

Team Osiris
Elites + Covies
Prometheans
Guardians

I'd take the janky but kinda cool Prometheans vs Flood any day tho

The Flash

Banned
Hi there, I'm new to GAF and I wanted my first reply to be for the HaloGAF community.

Regarding the new pics, have you seen how the grunts look now? I mean, I like everything that has been shown from Halo 5, except the grunts. Look at this:

Stuff of nightmares right there. What was wrong with the Reach Grunts? Seriously.

Vire

Eh. I don't think so. I never thought Halo 4 was an amazing tech uncle feat. It looked good sure, but it sacrificed a lot of nice features from Halo3/Reach to get there.

The lighting in Halo 5 just doesn't look like the leap we should've expected. And my expectations were low.

I'm with you on that, the models and poly count are obviously a huge improvement over Bungie's work, but Halo 4 very clearly cut corners in the texture, water and lighting department compared to something like Halo 3/Reach.

Then again, I guess 60 FPS doesn't come cheap... I still think the game looks great overall, just the lighting is a bit flat still like 4. Honestly, the visuals are one of the few areas I'm least worried about when it comes to this game.

nib95

Banned
There used to be some direct feed gameplay screens in the OP, we're they taken down for any particular reason? Have any other screens been removed?

Danny 117

I wonder will Arbiter and Chief come face to face in this game? Would be cool.

The weirdest thing about Halo 3 is that Chief says one thing to Arbiter in the whole campaign(I think, feel free to correct me!):
(After a flood infested covenant ship crashes on Earth)
Arbiter: More Brutes?
Chief: Worse.
Doesn't seem characteristic of 343i's interpretation of Master Chief, who is more talkative.

Akai__

There used to be some direct feed gameplay screens in the OP, we're they taken down for any particular reason? Have any other screens been removed?

You probably mean an other thread like that from yesterday or from 2 days ago, because I didn't remove any screens from the OP.

VinFTW

The screenshots I'm talking about aren't among those in that link. They all appear to be super sampled. There were a bunch that appeared to be captured directly from the console itself.

That was another Halo info dump thread. This is a "new Halo V info dump". I believe that thread was just an NDA break "Halo V info dump".

Those screenshots were taken right after the public beta in Dec. in a private beta featuring some changes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1060663&highlight=halo+v+info+dump

Solidsoul

Banned
These new promethean warriors look a lot better. I am honestly surprised people are saying they prefer the beetle look of the knights. Give me warriors all day.

nib95

Banned
That was another Halo info dump thread. This is a "new Halo V info dump". I believe that thread was just an NDA break "Halo V info dump".

Those screenshots were taken right after the public beta in Dec. in a private beta featuring some changes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1060663&highlight=halo+v+info+dump

That's the one, the thread titles were so similar lol. Was kind of hoping the trail might have led to some more direct captures from a newer build.

I must be the only one who likes the look of the Prometheans and their gun design and feel. I thought it was a good change of pace from fighting the ridiculous flood that could possibly be the worst enemy to fight against, and they lasted for 3 games.

Vire

That's the one, the thread titles were so similar lol. Was kind of hoping the trail might have led to some more direct captures from a newer build.

Yeah, thankfully the game doesn't look like that anymore.

Also, looking at the ready up live gallery... wow Sparth really is the best in the business when it comes to concept art. All the worlds that he imagines look so incredible.

VinFTW

Same. I'm sure we'll be getting the newer MP mode gameplay at the conference and will have to wait till throughout the week for more Arena gameplay.

LordOfChaos

big-eyed-dog.jpg

This is all I see

When do we get an actual idea on what the tech specs are for this game?

8GB RAM, 8 Jaguar cores, ~Radeon 7770. Also must be an Xbox One.

If you mean antialiasing and stuff, check the Digital Foundry Halo 5 multiplayer testing, though there's a possibility stuff like that was changed for the final.

Madness

When do we get an actual idea on what the tech specs are for this game?

I hope not until launch. Keep the people guessing whether it's 900p, 1080pr, 1080p, locked 60fps etc. You know the second they say it, you're going to get a million pages of how disappointed they are, so and so matters.

I'm with you on that, the models and poly count are obviously a huge improvement over Bungie's work, but Halo 4 very clearly cut corners in the texture, water and lighting department compared to something like Halo 3/Reach.

Then again, I guess 60 FPS doesn't come cheap... I still think the game looks great overall, just the lighting is a bit flat still like 4. Honestly, the visuals are one of the few areas I'm least worried about when it comes to this game.

Friggin thank you. Bothers me to no end how people talk up Halo 4 when the engine was hacked to pieces to get it to look any better than Bungie's work. Halo 3/Reach were doing incredible things with scale and were beautiful games in their own right in most areas as well, Reach especially is one of the most impressive games of last generation period.

It really shows me why those decisions were made with Halo 4. Even when Halo 3 came out, Killzone 2 was on the horizon and all anyone could talk about was how incredible that game looked, and that was near the start of the whole cinematic corridor shooter trend we are only just starting to come out of. Nobody seemed to care that Bungie first and foremost allowed gameplay to drive their technology. They were sandbox games but people that don't understand or maybe just don't value the effort and sacrifices required to make something like that versus a scripted experience did nothing but complain about the visuals, when those games were both far beyond average looking upon release, while doing things most shooters simply didn't bother with.

Halo 4 was so incredibly disappointing to me for that reason. Aside from the lower quality textures, reduced dynamic lights, inferior draw distance, etc. The levels just weren't Halo levels, and the ones that almost were, were basically copy cat levels of previous Halo games while being filled with far smaller spaces and much worse AI overall.

Seeing people that are completely okay with this just makes me sad, honestly. That series to me is one of the pinnacles of game design, the encounters as far as I am concerned were always second to none, and the sandbox style design was the very definition of emergent gameplay in my mind. I have replayed Halo CE more times than I can count and the encounters are always fresh, versus Halo 4 where the same scenario plays out pretty much exactly the same each time.

Don't mean to rant. I'm looking forward to Halo 5 as I think 4 was actually a very good game in it's own right despite being a poor Halo game. I just hope they bring the spirit back that was missing. Not exactly impressed with what I have seen visually, but I will wait to see the campaign in motion before I pass judgement. The fact that they are shooting for 60fps gives them a pretty damn big pass there in my book.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, thankfully the game doesn't look like that anymore.

Also, looking at the ready up live gallery... wow Sparth really is the best in the business when it comes to concept art. All the worlds that he imagines look so incredible.

Same. I'm sure we'll be getting the newer MP mode gameplay at the conference and will have to wait till throughout the week for more Arena gameplay.

I suspect the SP campaign will look better than the multiplayer. Expecting some beautiful looking areas, and hopefully some pretty vistas even if they aren't all interactive. Honestly, Halo 4's still hold up incredibly well.

iOPcfaAni998C.png~original

i9k4Lvr0KAA1F.jpg~original

1280x-1.jpg~original

RSB

Banned
"We changed the aiming mechanics with Smart-Link"

I thought it was cosmetic?
ADS is cosmetic in some weapons, like the DMR or BR, but not in all of them. The SMG, for example, has a significant spread reduction when zoomed, which makes it feel very close to full blown ADS, unfortunately. IDK, maybe they have changed it from the beta, but I doubt it. Gotta chase that modern shooter crowd, right? Shoehorning shitty mechanics into Halo and making it more like every other console shooter is a small price to pay. Yay, homogenization!

I mean, at least the SMG is useful, unlike any other Halo sandbox.

Up close you didn't need to ADS, it really only helped at range...which makes sense.
Meh, I don't really care about the SMG (or any automatic weapon, really, as I've always found them incredibly boring to use) I was just giving an example to explain that the ADS mechanic in Halo 5 is in fact not completely cosmetic.

ElRenoRaven

You know while I'm skeptical of shit I have to say singleplayer wise I'm excited for the game. While 4 had it's problems the singleplayer was fun. Multiplayer wise I just don't see myself having a ton of fun with the game but co-op and campaign I'll be playing a ton like I have with the other games.

rokkerkory

I suspect the SP campaign will look better than the multiplayer. Expecting some beautiful looking areas, and hopefully some pretty vistas even if they aren't all interactive. Honestly, Halo 4's still hold up incredibly well.

iOPcfaAni998C.png~original

i9k4Lvr0KAA1F.jpg~original

1280x-1.jpg~original

Especially in 1080p in HMCC... Halo 4 is beautiful.

Ramirez

ADS is cosmetic in some weapons, like the DMR or BR, but not in all of them. The SMG, for example, has a significant spread reduction when zoomed, which makes it feel very close to full blown ADS, unfortunately. IDK, maybe they have changed it from the beta, but I doubt it. Gotta chase that modern shooter crowd, right? Shoehorning shitty mechanics into Halo and making it more like every other console shooter is a small price to pay. Yay, homogenization!

I mean, at least the SMG is useful, unlike any other Halo sandbox.

Up close you didn't need to ADS, it really only helped at range...which makes sense.

Prometheans are the most boring enemy designs I've seen in a while, and they do not live up to the rest of Halo's designs. Hell, they don't even fit with forerunner designs. Still don't know what they were thinking when they designed those dogs.

Top Bottom