• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Speaking of Prometheans, I really hope they completely overhauled them. They were no fun to fight in Halo 4. They were Flood level bad.

Madness

Speaking of Prometheans, I really hope they completely overhauled them. They were no fun to fight in Halo 4. They were Flood level bad.

I would think most of them are dead. Prometheans were on Requiem, Requiem was sent into the local sun. Aside from sentinels, there should technically be no more Forerunners anywhere. But they need to push their new story and we're going to magically see new Forerunner planets, new ships, new enemies, new installations come out of nowhere or be discovered etc.

I'd rather they focus on something all new. Surely there is something beyond Precursors, Forerunners Covenant, especially in the universe. Especially in the Galaxy. I would hate to fight any promethean enemy again.

Hmmm, I wouldn't go that far, but the dudes that regenerated when you almost killed them almost made me throw my controller a couple of times.

My biggest issue in that area is how unbelievably stupid the covenant was compared to Reach. They clearly wanted the Prometheans to be the biggest threat and nerfed the hell out of the covenant to make them feel that way.

I mean, at least the SMG is useful, unlike any other Halo sandbox.

Up close you didn't need to ADS, it really only helped at range...which makes sense.

Yeah, that's how ADS works...doesn't mean that it fits. I still think they called it "Smart Scope" just to throw people off to what it really is. And it worked. I think 343 are great developers, they can make great games. They have no clue what makes Halo great, though, so I think they're unfit to continue the franchise. I'm still excited to see Halo 5, though, it just sucks that the Halo I once loved will never come back.

Yeah, that's how ADS works...doesn't mean that it fits. I still think they called it "Smart Scope" just to throw people off to what it really is. And it worked. I think 343 are great developers, they can make great games. They have no clue what makes Halo great, though, so I think they're unfit to continue the franchise. I'm still excited to see Halo 5, though, it just sucks that the Halo I once loved will never come back.

Very similar to how I feel. We only have one game from them so far, but at this point I don't think their stuff has the Bungie spirit or an original one of their own for that matter. It's a weird place for the series to be in.

I actually adore how they have handled the multimedia stuff though. I think keeping everything feeling connected through books, games, and shows is great.

Estocolmo

"He’s muttering away to himself in English. All of the Covenant speak English once again"

Everything looks so good about Halo 5. This however made me sad :-( Halo CE and H4 understood that the covenant are aliens and are not suppose to speak english!

RoKKeR

"He’s muttering away to himself in English. All of the Covenant speak English once again"

Everything looks so good about Halo 5. This however made me sad :-( Halo CE and H4 understood that the covenant are aliens and are not suppose to speak english!
Disagree. Adds some much needed comic relief.

- Wish there was an option for both ala Crysis 1. Part of me loves the immersion of having aliens speak an alien tongue while another part of me loves the shiz-talking you get from your foes.

- Wish there was an option for both ala Crysis 1. Part of me loves the immersion of having aliens speak an alien tongue while another part of me loves the shiz-talking you get from your foes.

That would be rather interesting.

Didn't the grunts at the very least speak english in CE? I feel like I remember quite a bit of that.

Estocolmo

Disagree. Adds some much needed comic relief.

Comic reliefs in Halo games no thank you. We already had about 6 out of 6 Halo games were the marines were nothing but disney characters saying stupid one-liners and being useless as soldiers. Red vs blue can take care of the comic relief in Halo games!

nib95

Banned
I don't think the aliens should speak English. But it's not too much of a stretch to assume Chief understands them, so just have it subtitled.

Ramirez

I'll take it over the weapon being completely useless as it has been in all past games.

The Halo 5 beta was some of the most fun I've ever had in a Halo game, I do not understand what people want out of the series. The ADS was 99% cosmetic and all of the abilities added to the great gunplay the series is known for. I just can't let sprint and autos ADS advantage overshadow how great the rest of it was.

Vire

Is Davidge composing the soundtrack again? I'm not entirely opposed to it, I don't have a raging hate boner for him like most of the internet.

Plus Massive Attack is awesome.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, what we've heard makes the game sound far bigger than 4, that plus it being 60fps makes it easy to figure out why it looks like it does. That being said I wish they could have at least gotten more realistic materials, nothing really looks very "real", I've been spoiled by games with outstanding PBR.
This screenshot really encapsulates the game's graphical issues perfectly.
Everything is highpoly and relatively detailed, but none of the materials look like anything.
The game will/does use PBR. Don't forget that means drab lighting conditions like the space station shots have will affect material definition. Compare that with shots like these:
http://www.readyuplive.com/wp-content/gallery/halo-5-guardians-assets/H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-First-Person-Centered-Copy.jpg
http://haloorbit.de/images/hocontent/halo5/renders/2015_06_12/wm/96655b3cbd16625bd1656b83f0eaae56.jpg

The latter is a render but the microsurface detail and differing specular properties are evident.

The game will/does use PBR. Don't forget that means drab lighting conditions like the space station shots have will affect material definition. Compare that with shots like these:
http://www.readyuplive.com/wp-content/gallery/halo-5-guardians-assets/H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-First-Person-Centered-Copy.jpg
http://haloorbit.de/images/hocontent/halo5/renders/2015_06_12/wm/96655b3cbd16625bd1656b83f0eaae56.jpg

The latter is a render but the microsurface detail and differing specular properties are evident.

Holy shit at that first screen shot! The visuals look great to me, so excited to see it in motion.

jem0208

ADS is cosmetic in some weapons, like the DMR or BR, but not in all of them. The SMG, for example, has a significant spread reduction when zoomed, which makes it feel very close to full blown ADS, unfortunately. IDK, maybe they have changed it from the beta, but I doubt it. Gotta chase that modern shooter crowd, right? Shoehorning shitty mechanics into Halo and making it more like every other console shooter is a small price to pay. Yay, homogenization!

The problem with ADS isn't increased accuracy when zoomed. The problem with ADS is that hipfire is usually completely useless at all ranges and that a movement speed reduction is required to aim properly.

Halo's zoom has always given you accuracy benefits, it's an inherent benefit to zooming in. The relative size of you're reticule compared to your target is reduced, red reticule range is increased, tracking speed is reduced. These are all benefits to accuracy at range. I often see complaints about H5's implementation saying it's just going to cause every long range fight to be an "ADS fest". People seem to forget that Halo has always been like that (except Halo 4 due to the lack of descope).

The effect of smart scope is that it makes automatic weapons somewhat viable at mid range. That's pretty much the only effect it had. It didn't affect close range fitefights with autos at all and it had essentially no effect on precision weapons.

The claims that the mechanical changes are just an attempt to chase the crowd are just silly imo. The changes make logical sense when you move away from the bias created due to the aesthetics.

Speaking of which, yes I can see how the change to the visual aspect is probably an attempt to draw in new people. I don't really user that as an issue though personally.

Kibbles

Granted I'm on mobile but that top pic looks cel shaded

blamite

A lot of stuff about this game looks really great, but the Prometheans are just always gonna look stupid, huh?

I wish Bungie's Forerunner design could make a comeback somehow.

x28S542.jpg

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit at that first screen shot! The visuals look great to me, so excited to see it in motion.
Well, bear in mind that's what Halo 5 would look like at 2560x1440 with AA on PC. The actual game will be much lower resolution with worse image quality, but the material definition, lighting, assets etc... will be the same.

I believe there are different things that make Halo great to different people.

Everyone at 343 loves halo, and are trying to make a Halo game that they want, and feel that the fans would want.

For me, what I always loved about halo MP was having equal starts with weapons spawn on the map combined with the whole concept of having shields which can make each fight feel like a game of cat and mouse as you try to either outsmart, or outclass your opponent.

I think that a lot of that core is coming back in a big way after sinking a good many hours into the beta....my only complaint was that shields felt a bit Nerfed from previous halos.

Story wise, I think that they were already on the right track with halo 4, but I am excited to hear about the more open level design that we will get in Halo 5.

Anyways, all I am saying is that what makes Halo special to you, and to me is not going to be the same for everyone, and so they can not possibly please everybody.

A lot of stuff about this game looks really great, but the Prometheans are just always gonna look stupid, huh?

I wish Bungie's Forerunner design could make a comeback somehow.

Bungie had/has some great artist.

Too bad 343 didn't use a design more similar to this....
I like the crawlers & Diadact, but am not a big fan of the knights.
Not sure how I will like the new enemy type yet.

LordOfChaos

Are brutes still around?

Story wise they're in pretty bad shape, got wrecked by the Elites, and then descended into the barbarism and infighting that defined their race pre-covenant. In Escalation there was one of the more influential Chieftains that was about to sign a peace treaty, but anywho, point being, they don't have much power as a faction anymore, without the San Shyuum technology backing them (and by extension Grunts farming for them etc).

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Everyone at 343 loves halo, and are trying to make a Halo game that they want, and feel that the fans would want.

I agree with this definitely, and I honestly think Microsoft's idea of creating a studio that will be the specific caretakers of one of its IP is much better than having a studio that probably has developers wanting to do a bunch of different stuff work on one IP. At least with the former, the developers know what they are into, and if they are there then obviously they like the franchise enough to keep developing for it. It's just going to take 343i sometime to get into their stride, and to find out the right formula for Halo. Technically, Halo 4 is their first game as a studio, and that game was very, very good with that in mind. I also think that Halo 5 is going to be when 343i really earns their right to make Halo.

For me, what I always loved about halo MP was having equal starts with weapons spawn on the map combined with the whole concept of having shields which can make each fight feel like a game of cat and mouse as you try to either outsmart, or outclass your opponent.

I think that a lot of that core is coming back in a big way after sinking a good many hours into the beta....my only complaint was that shields felt a bit Nerfed from previous halos.

This is definitely the core of Halo gameplay. It's not really so much about sprint, or ADS, or Spartan Abilities (provided everyone has all of the same ones at the same time) so much as it is about an equal playing field and the cat and mouse gameplay with map strategy over the power weapon layout. With that said, I really do want to emphasize that I think the shields probably should be a bit stronger than they were in the Halo 5 beta. I think the time to kill needs to be tweaked, but other than that the Halo 5 beta gameplay was really good.

Madness

Open the image in a new tab, zoom in, and inspect element says 2560x1440

Ain't nobody got time for that. So those are definitely not running on Xbox One build shots? Damn. Oh well,I still know I'll be blown away by the visuals.

On an unrelated note, the Greenskull stuff was interesting when he said the devs were given more ability to do easter eggs. I can't wait to start searching every little nook. I found that more and more, games lost that personal touch behind them. All corporate and sterile. Would be nice to find some dev humor hidden around, and I don't just mean collectibles. 'I would have been your daddy' etc.

I agree with this definitely, and I honestly think Microsoft's idea of creating a studio that will be the specific caretakers of one of its IP is much better than having a studio that probably has developers wanting to do a bunch of different stuff work on one IP. At least with the former, the developers know what they are into, and if they are there then obviously they like the franchise enough to keep developing for it. It's just going to take 343i sometime to get into their stride, and to find out the right formula for Halo. Technically, Halo 4 is their first game as a studio, and that game was very, very good with that in mind. I also think that Halo 5 is going to be when 343i really earns their right to make Halo.

This is definitely the core of Halo gameplay. It's not really so much about sprint, or ADS, or Spartan Abilities (provided everyone has all of the same ones at the same time) so much as it is about an equal playing field and the cat and mouse gameplay with map strategy over the power weapon layout. With that said, I really do want to emphasize that I think the shields probably should be a bit stronger than they were in the Halo 5 beta. I think the time to kill needs to be tweaked, but other than that the Halo 5 beta gameplay was really good.

See, my thing is it doesn't seem like it's a studio of people that wants to make Halo. it seems like it's a studio of people that loves Halo but wants to inject it with things from other games that simply don't belong.

I mean 343 have pretty much acknowledged that the things they did with 4's MP didn't work at this point. The fact that they are trying to get back to basics shows this, but it simply shouldn't have happened to begin with. Every Halo fan out there called out the things in that game that looked awful and they were right almost across the board. People love to say in defense of these things that Halo needs to be "modernized" and stuff which is a ridiculous statement that means absolutely nothing.

Bungie always innovated in the correct ways to move the series forward, aside from Reach which it seems to me was always meant to be an alternative to 3, not a replacement. They almost never took ideas from others and when they did, it made sense for their game, like firefight.

Nothing that 343 took from other games made sense in the context of Halo except for something like sprint in my opinion, but that is obviously very debatable. I DO like the the fact that 343 are trying to even the playing field again in 5, and you're right that 4 was their first shot. It just seems like there were a lot of things in that game that a studio of people that love Halo would never have done.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
On an unrelated note, the Greenskull stuff was interesting when he said the devs were given more ability to do easter eggs. I can't wait to start searching every little nook. I found that more and more, games lost that personal touch behind them. All corporate and sterile. Would be nice to find some dev humor hidden around, and I don't just mean collectibles. 'I would have been your daddy' etc.

Yeah, it definitely seems like developers want to discourage players from getting out of the maps, or replicating glitches and whatnot, but I think that gives every game a certain charm. Some skulls in the Halo games actually required players to get out of the map (and I think the toys in Halo 2 Anniversary -- I don't think they were in the original Halo 2, but I could be mistaken -- required it as well). Obviously in multiplayer that stuff should be very limited, but I think single-player/co-op stuff that encourages that type of exploration is awesome.

See, my thing is it doesn't seem like it's a studio of people that wants to make Halo. it seems like it's a studio of people that loves Halo but wants to inject it with things from other games that simply don't belong.

I mean 343 have pretty much acknowledged that the things they did with 4's MP didn't work at this point. The fact that they are trying to get back to basics shows this, but it simply shouldn't have happened to begin with. Every Halo fan out there called out the things in that game that looked awful and they were right almost across the board. People love to say in defense of these things that Halo needs to be "modernized" and stuff which is a ridiculous statement that means absolutely nothing.

Bungie always innovated in the correct ways to move the series forward, aside from Reach which it seems to me was always meant to be an alternative to 3, not a replacement. They almost never took ideas from others and when they did, it made sense for their game, like firefight.

Nothing that 343 took from other games made sense in the context of Halo except for something like sprint in my opinion, but that is obviously very debatable. I DO like the the fact that 343 are trying to even the playing field again in 5, and you're right that 4 was their first shot. It just seems like there were a lot of things in that game that a studio of people that love Halo would never have done.

I really think 343 just took inspiration from the wrong Halo. Halo 4, to me, doesn't seem like it was being inspired by other games so much as it was being inspired from where Bungie last left the Halo series: Halo Reach. That was also the first game that 343 had any kind of input in (they took it over as far as running things when Bungie officially parted ways with Microsoft).

Halo 5 seems to be taking things back to where Halo was before Reach even, but it's still keeping things that are obviously almost mainstays within the FPS genre -- one thing from playing the MCC is that I have found that no sprint makes the other Halo games feel very dated. With that said, 343 is being smart in how it is implemented in Halo 5 -- while sprinting, shields do not recharge. Even stuff like ADS is being done differently than other games that use it. All of it seems to be staying core to what made Halo, but it just seems like 343 is trying to modernize the formula. Halo cannot stay in the past if it wants to maintain popularity, so it has to use ideas that have evolved the genre as a whole. Let's not forget that Halo itself originally pushed the FPS genre forward as well, so in order for Halo 5 to keep with that tradition then 343 has to try new things. They can't just make Halo 5 a version of Halo 1, 2, or 3.

No word on whose doing it then? Is it entirely Kazuma Jinnouchi?

I don't think he's bad, but nothing that I've heard from him sounds particularly unique or awe inspiring. Just typical movie score kinda stuff... I'll give him a shot though.

Thanks edited post.

Like the Halo 5 Beta menu music is just kinda boring. *shrug*

In my opiniom of course: all of the really good tracks that I actually remembered and wanted to hear again from playing through Halo 4 were done by Jinnouchi. Davidge is a talented producer, but his music lacks the heart and emotion that Jinnouchi's has. Davidge made okay atmospheric music, but everything that involved a theme/motif and tied the soundtrack together was done by Kazuma.

Also, menu music isn't meant to be the most impactful or heavy stuff. I agree that menu music isn't particularly incredible, but the stuff in the background of 343i's Vidocs and the Game Informer videos has been really great. There's actually been a main, repeated theme and some really big and oppressive orchestral stuff laced with tasteful amounts of rock guitar and rhythmic electronics.

tldr: Kazuma has a much better grasp on how to create a well rounded and complete score while Davidge makes decent atmospheric, unemotional music. I'm pumped for Kazuma's Halo 5 score. :)

RSB

Banned
Halo's zoom has always given you accuracy benefits, it's an inherent benefit to zooming in.
I know this, but the SMG spread reduction in Halo 5 goes way beyond the usual spread reduction inherent to the zoom.

The claims that the mechanical changes are just an attempt to chase the crowd are just silly imo.
Sure, when they decided LT to ADS being the default control scheme, and not needing to press LT again when descoped they didn't do it to cater to the modern shooter crowd, not at all.

Speaking of which, yes I can see how the change to the visual aspect is probably an attempt to draw in new people. I don't really user that as an issue though personally.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind ADS so much if they had at least included a classic scope option. But nope, I guess a circle in the middle of the screen is too much work.

Yup, I 100% agree.
There are not a whole lot of studios that have made a huge hit with thier first game.

Just as an example:

Halo CE was technically Bungie's 9th game as a studio...
Crash Bandicoot was Naughty Dog's 7th game as a studio, and the 5th game that they released on a console...

Yeah, it definitely seems like developers want to discourage players from getting out of the maps, or replicating glitches and whatnot, but I think that gives every game a certain charm. Some skulls in the Halo games actually required players to get out of the map (and I think the toys in Halo 2 Anniversary -- I don't think they were in the original Halo 2, but I could be mistaken -- required it as well). Obviously in multiplayer that stuff should be very limited, but I think single-player/co-op stuff that encourages that type of exploration is awesome.

I really think 343 just took inspiration from the wrong Halo. Halo 4, to me, doesn't seem like it was being inspired by other games so much as it was being inspired from where Bungie last left the Halo series: Halo Reach. That was also the first game that 343 had any kind of input in (they took it over as far as running things when Bungie officially parted ways with Microsoft).

Halo 5 seems to be taking things back to where Halo was before Reach even, but it's still keeping things that are obviously almost mainstays within the FPS genre -- one thing from playing the MCC is that I have found that no sprint makes the other Halo games feel very dated. With that said, 343 is being smart in how it is implemented in Halo 5 -- while sprinting, shields do not recharge. Even stuff like ADS is being done differently than other games that use it. All of it seems to be staying core to what made Halo, but it just seems like 343 is trying to modernize the formula. Halo cannot stay in the past if it wants to maintain popularity, so it has to use ideas that have evolved the genre as a whole. Let's not forget that Halo itself originally pushed the FPS genre forward as well, so in order for Halo 5 to keep with that tradition then 343 has to try new things. They can't just make Halo 5 a version of Halo 1, 2, or 3.

Yes, but it pushed it forward with it's own ideas. Taking elements from other games is not pushing anything forward. It's what causes things to stagnate in the first place. I really don't like the term dated. It can certainly be the case in some games that have jank that was common to it's time, but not having a feature that other games have to me does not equate to being dated.

I played through a ton of early ID stuff again recently and I still think those games are a blast. Doom and Quake are two of the most well designed shooters I have ever played to this day. I don't think every game needs to be like that of course, but I do think that a series should stay true to what they are which doesn't mean not adding new things. It means adding NEW things, not things that have become commonplace because of a certain other inferior(in my opinion) game ruling the marketplace. And even adding those things can be fine when they work, which they didn't.

You're right though, 343 do seem to understand this a bit better now and I think spartan abilities are a great fucking idea actually. We have always read about the things that these armored warriors could do and now it seems like we will feel a little more like spartans and not just really strong marines.

I am a little concerned about the campaign. I know people have been wanting to see blue team and stuff but when I think of Halo I think of being alone against an army and using the sandbox to gain an advantage, I don't think of having a squad with me. The thing is, I have never played a squad based game that didn't play incredibly similarly to other squad based game and that type of play has never been what Halo is about.

I am more than willing to be wrong about this based on what they show though. I'm hoping for the best. I think that studio is incredibly talented.

Vire

In my opiniom of course: all of the really good tracks that I actually remembered and wanted to hear again from playing through Halo 4 were done by Jinnouchi. Davidge is a talented producer, but his music lacks the heart and emotion that Jinnouchi's has. Davidge made okay atmospheric music, but everything that involved a theme/motif and tied the soundtrack together was done by Kazuma.

Also, menu music isn't meant to be the most impactful or heavy stuff. I agree that menu music isn't particularly incredible, but the stuff in the background of 343i's Vidocs and the Game Informer videos has been really great. There's actually been a main, repeated theme and some really big and oppressive orchestral stuff laced with tasteful amounts of rock guitar and rhythmic electronics.

tldr: Kazuma has a much better grasp on how to create a well rounded and complete score while Davidge makes decent atmospheric, unemotional music. I'm pumped for Kazuma's Halo 5 score. :)
To me, Davidge brought something new and interesting to the Halo "sound", a more electronic and mechanical feeling in some songs and when needed.. sweeping and galaxy spanning in others

Kazuma simply tries to mimic and imitate the style of Marty to varying shades of success and that's inherently less interesting to me.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
To me, Davidge brought something new and interesting to the Halo "sound", a more electronic and mechanical feeling in some songs and when needed.. sweeping and galaxy spanning in others

Kazuma simply tries to mimic and imitate the style of Marty to varying shades of success and that's inherently less interesting to me.
Only problem was while Halo 4 had a few excellent tracks I don't think the soundtrack as a whole matched the trilogy that came before it, and there were times where I was aching to just hear the halo theme in full ball but it never came.

The good thing about the Locke/Chief split is Kazuma can put in some classic sounds without sacrificing the overall originality of the score.

The problem with ADS isn't increased accuracy when zoomed. The problem with ADS is that hipfire is usually completely useless at all ranges and that a movement speed reduction is required to aim properly.

Halo's zoom has always given you accuracy benefits, it's an inherent benefit to zooming in. The relative size of you're reticule compared to your target is reduced, red reticule range is increased, tracking speed is reduced. These are all benefits to accuracy at range. I often see complaints about H5's implementation saying it's just going to cause every long range fight to be an "ADS fest". People seem to forget that Halo has always been like that (except Halo 4 due to the lack of descope).

The effect of smart scope is that it makes automatic weapons somewhat viable at mid range. That's pretty much the only effect it had. It didn't affect close range fitefights with autos at all and it had essentially no effect on precision weapons.

The claims that the mechanical changes are just an attempt to chase the crowd are just silly imo. The changes make logical sense when you move away from the bias created due to the aesthetics.

Not really http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2pxfvz/bullet_spread_across_all_games_in_the_mcc/ it only happened in the very latest of halo games(H2A) and mostly only on the sniper, but that's because the redicule gets smaller. In the halo 5 beta, the bloom actually tightens so the gun it itself is more accurate, so you get less room for error. Theoretically, this makes autos far more effective at longer ranges then they ever was previously. This means that an AR can be effective at the range of a BR and potentially beat that gun more easier. That can actually shake things up a lot since the precision weapons were dominate.

Top Bottom