• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

baconcow

Eh....you don't need to use any tools at all to remove the backplate once you have unscrewed it. Just use your nails to gently pull the flaps, where the indentation is, and then lift it up a little. Then do the other side.

I have no nails, so I am forced to follow Nintendo's stylus end method. It does not come off easily that way. The screw were fully unscrewed, too. Doesn't matter. It is off, now. Glad you all had no issues. Just would have rather not dented it.

wheapon

SBrzh79.jpg

Old and New. Pretty Stoked.

I also have the MM LE coming from amazon.ca but I'm thinking of reselling it on ebay to cover the cost of my new black n3ds.

That is pretty rad. Did you just affix decals to the inside of the plastic shell or did the shells come with the designs pre-stamped?

CRA5H

Use a small, flathead screwdriver. Push up the two indentations on the sides. There are no "latches" or anything. Seriously, it ain't hard.
Not everyone will have it as easy as you think.

My right side was able to come off easily but the left side was still stuck and it wouldn't pry off after ensuring it was unscrewed. Trust me.

I had to use a little bit of force to pry off the left side but didn't hear a loud crack thankfully.

_hekk05

Banned
So apparently the new 3ds has some problems with wifi? How can it not support wpa2-psk(tkip) when the 3ds could?

I just talked through 2 friends into reconfiguring their wireless

DTU

Banned
I was following Nintendo's directions. I got it before I saw your response. And, it was definitely difficult, with the stylus. Also, metal would have damaged the plastic far worse.

I don't know how you did it, but it sounds wrong. My back cover literally lifted off--no prying necessary. The only way to damage the back cover would've been by stabbing it.

Rootbeer

Banned
does new 3ds have Bluetooth?

Nope. I'm assuming it's because you want to use wireless headphones? FWIW it does have slightly better speakers, or at least that's what people seem to think. It does sound better to me somehow. But i'm not much an an audiophile.

Getting the back cover off seems to vary for people. I have seen videos where the guy will unscrew one turn for each screw and just pull up with this fingernails to get both sides to pop up. And I have heard of people needing to use all of their strength to get the sides to pop up, some denting the sides of the cover.

I guess it's a mixed bag.

For those having trouble with 3D head tracking, is your camera working properly? You should try to take a selfie with the camera in your usual lighting conditions. It should help you figure out if you can fix things (faulty camera, lens flare, back lighting).

Rawr, check this out. It doesn't ship until a couple of weeks from now.

HORI Duraflexi Clear Protector for Nintendo NEW 3DS XL by HORI http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RZ7TC6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Have you used any of their previous versions for other 3DS models?

I have never had a special edition 3DS. I got the OG one and then the XL at launch. I couldn't ever justify buying a special one just for that. An upgrade sure helps!

Therefore I've never cared about the outer clamshell.

For those having trouble with 3D head tracking, is your camera working properly? You should try to take a selfie with the camera in your usual lighting conditions. It should help you figure out if you can fix things (faulty camera, lens flare, back lighting).

What are the issues people are having?

Salaadin

For those with backplate issues, try loosening the screws until you hear a light click. Then try pulling one side of the plate off with one one hand and unscrewing that same screw at the same time with your other hand. This is what I had to do.

Almost felt like there was one or two threads that I couldn't clear but the pressure underneath the screw from me pulling the plate off was enough to get it

Sorcerer

So apparently the new 3ds has some problems with wifi? How can it not support wpa2-psk(tkip) when the 3ds could?

I just talked through 2 friends into reconfiguring their wireless

I had that problem on my 2DS. It was the most frustrating thing.

It worked when I manually entered the network work name and password.

There is no auto setup for wpa2, baffaling.

Not intuitive at all.

For a second I was kind of freaking out thinking this thing was useless.

ZOONAMI

How loose should the new 3DS XL hinge be? Mine seems extremely loose, noticeably moves left to right, and the vertical wobble is ridiculous. Does not seem right.

cmurph

Banned
Where and how much? They look so nice!

That is pretty rad. Did you just affix decals to the inside of the plastic shell or did the shells come with the designs pre-stamped?

Oh no, they're not decals. They're plastic protector cases.

I bought both the Japanese Design and Whimsicott 3DS LL off of eBay.

You can see the Japanese designs they have here. Mind you the plastic on the Wasabi cases is a little thin and is more for elaborate decorations. It'll prevent against scratching but not sure how much it'll hold up against a good drop.

wheapon

Oh no, they're not decals. They're plastic protector cases.

I bought both the Japanese Design and Whimsicott 3DS LL off of eBay.

You can see the Japanese designs they have here. Mind you the plastic on the Wasabi cases is a little thin and is more for elaborate decorations. It'll prevent against scratching but not sure how much it'll hold up against a good drop.

Awesome, thanks for the links! I'll have to look into those. :)

elfinke

I'm sure it's been asked in here a million times already (and I think there was a thread with one recommended in the OP), but for those of us with larger hands and a n3DSXL, is there a recommended grip/case thing to buy? I've been trawling eBay, PlayAsia and so on, but have not found one that looks like the business (either they're too plasticy, tad too expensive to buy without recommendations or the fit and finish looks lacking).

Otherwise, the n3DSXL has been the best gaming purchase I've made in yonks, probably since I bought RockSmith and a guitar. Not having owned an 'x'DS ever (I was given a DSL, which I briefly played the Layton games on, then shelved never to be touched again), I have found myself moving more and more towards gaming away from couches and TVs recently so the release of this device was well timed, as it turns out! The machine itself isn't perfect: I don't love how clicky all the buttons are, makes midnight gaming perilous, and it is clear that it has been built to a budget (scrappy hinges, easy to scratch finish - though at least the paint is nice and deep - and just really little things like how the finish on the speaker holes isn't smooth or rounded), but none of that should stop anyone from grabbing one to get into the games.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club is pretty great, I hope a more full-on sim sequel is in the works. Otherwise, I have Luigi's Mansion and Layton in the mail still to arrive (coming from the other side of the planet), and I've spent many hours in Mario Golf. I'm not enamoured with MonHun4, even though I feel like it should be something I'd enjoy. Last, the Codename STEAM demo is terrific, I think I'll have to grab it when it launches.

ClearData

What number do I call if I want to beg for my NNID to be transferred?

I sold my 3DS ages ago. I didn't know about this crazy account thing. My new 3ds arrives tomorrow. :(

Some people might not be properly tracked. It's a possible issue, considering the involved tech (camera feed in random situations, machine learning). It could be fixed if the issue is determined.

No tracking at all?

Because it does track perfectly to a degree before it will ghost and snap back into place. It isn't flawless.

tkscz

Is anyone having issues with their B button? Mine needs to be pressed down hard in order to be picked up, while tapping it does nothing. It hasn't been too bothersome, so I don't see any need to send it to Nintendo for repairs, just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Hugstable

Banned
No tracking at all?

Because it does track perfectly to a degree before it will ghost and snap back into place. It isn't flawless.

So it's not just me then? That's good to know atleast. It seems to go outta place like every other minute or so. The new 3D stuff is nice, but it sucks bad when it gets out of focus like that.

No tracking at all?

It's supposed to track your eyes, but before any tracking, I guess it has to detect your face. If for some reason it cannot detect your face or loses it, the effect breaks.
Depending on the reason, you might be able to fix it.

So it's not just me then? That's good to know atleast. It seems to go outta place like every other minute or so. The new 3D stuff is nice, but it sucks bad when it gets out of focus like that.

Mine seemed to go rock solid when it recognizes my face, just played smash for the last 2 hours and didn't have a break.

Setzer

I'm sure it's been asked in here a million times already (and I think there was a thread with one recommended in the OP), but for those of us with larger hands and a n3DSXL, is there a recommended grip/case thing to buy

I'm using one similar to this on my 3DS XL and it works pretty well, especially with larger hands.

baconcow

I don't know how you did it, but it sounds wrong. My back cover literally lifted off--no prying necessary. The only way to damage the back cover would've been by stabbing it.

1) Flip over New 3DS.
2) Unscrew both screws until they are as far untightened as they can be.
3) Pry gently at one side.
4) Do #3 for the other side.

Seems simple enough. Not much I can do wrong.

On another note, seems all of my game saves are gone. I transferred from an OG 3DS quite some time ago, to a 3DS XL. Having barely played, I never checked the status of my games. Now, I transferred from the 3DS XL to New 3DS XL. Game saves, save states, all gone. Games are there, though. Oh well.

Edit: DSiWare data seems intact. Not sure why I lost my 3DSWare data.

My wife just opened hers. Using the same process I used, it came off without any issue. My select button is stuck. :(

totowhoa

Banned
Anybody having problems with the headphone jack?

First pair I tried wouldn't work if they were inserted all the way (sound would just come out of 3DS speakers only). Pulling it out slightly fixed the issue.

Tried another pair and they seemed fine, but twisting the plug around would cause the sound to cut out in certain precise spots (wouldn't play out of 3ds speakers either in this case). If I don't touch the headphone jack, it'd be fine though.

These are both cheap in-ear buds though. Gonna test further before going thru the return process but curious if this is happening to others.

It's supposed to track your eyes, but before any tracking, I guess it has to detect your face. If for some reason it cannot detect your face or loses it, the effect breaks.
Depending on the reason, you might be able to fix it.

What? You're telling me it's flawless all the time?

Nice thanks man! from past hori products, they are pretty legit stuff!
P.s I need to get your friend code :3

I pm'd you! I bought this and can't wait. I don't want to put the 3ds in my carrying case until I get this because my past 3ds got dented slightly from pressure.

I have never had a special edition 3DS. I got the OG one and then the XL at launch. I couldn't ever justify buying a special one just for that. An upgrade sure helps!

I've heard other gaffers have the previous version of this clear shell and they've all liked it so that's all I'm going by. I ordered one so I can let you know when I get it! I'm also hoping it'll fit on the cradle

orborborb

Super Stable 3D has been completely stable for me when I hold the system in front of my face. In every lighting condition, while repositioning it, bumping around, lying on my side, everything. But when I play it at a greater distance, resting my hands on the table for example, it glitches out around the edges sometimes. Not sure if recalibration could fix that. And there is still the issue where bright white objects against a black background have some crosstalk, but it is much improved from the previous systems.

That feature was worth the upgrade to me. I appreciate the louder speakers as well, though they still do not sound as good the original 3DS's speakers.

Good news, everyone! I went to Meijer tonight and they had 3 new 3ds xl's! 2 red, and a black. I got black :D

Now, since Worst Buy still hasn't shipped my preorder 3ds, I'm just going to return it at a best buy when it finally comes.

I also bought bravely default because of your recommendations.

Thanks Meijer and thank you, Gaf!

overcast

I want to get screen protectors, but I'm worried I'll clumsily put them on and ruin the look of my new XL. Any go to protectors that are easy to apply and are reliable?

Pachimari

That feature was worth the upgrade to me. I appreciate the louder speakers as well, though they still do not sound as good the original 3DS's speakers.
Wow really?

I owned the OG 3DS and I think the new speakers are much better. But my memory of the OG isn't that clear.

Was the OG speakers really better?

I want to get screen protectors, but I'm worried I'll clumsily put them on and ruin the look of my new XL. Any go to protectors that are easy to apply and are reliable?

I'm usually pretty clumsy with them but I haven't had any trouble with the Hori ones. As long as you get them aligned correctly with the screen, you should be fine.

Justinh

i have the clear duraflexi, TPU, whatever hori shell for the old 3DSXL, and I love it. I don't feel the most comfortable playing my Majora'a Mask N3DS until the new ones are released so I've been playing mostly on my ALBW 3DSXL with a Circle Pad Pro (which I'm fine with, to be honest, since it feels so much more comfortable with the CPP imo)

I ordered a refurb charging cable from Nintendo and a new 3ds from Groupon with the 10% off. I really hope they get that charging cable to me quick otherwise I'm going to be bummed.
I ordered a refurb charging cable from nintendo too, it will have only taken a week to get here when it arrives tomorrow. I already have 2 and I didn't really need it so I got the 2 dollar shipping. Not sure what you got.

orborborb

Wow really?

I owned the OG 3DS and I think the new speakers are much better. But my memory of the OG isn't that clear.

Was the OG speakers really better?

Just compared them again right now, volumes are about the same but the original 3DS has less distortion.

edit: but I've decided the new one is a bit louder so it's probably not a fair comparison, I SLIGHTLY prefer the sound of the original still is all I can say, but it shouldn't affect anyone's buying decisions.

Top Bottom