• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

EloNoolah

Can anybody with both the HORI duraflexi protector and the XL charging dock verify whether the dock can be used with the protector attached? I'm assuming it probably wouldn't fit but I've already got the protector coming from Amazon for my MM XL and want to know whether the dock would be worth the investment too.

Thanks, Vena and bigkurz.

So he just needs to do the transfer and then put the 32gb MicroSD into the target system. Great!

Which option does he pick, in this case? Wireless Transfer, Low-Capacity microSD Card Transfer or Move the microSD Card?

kubus

Ugh, Play-Asia is out of stock.
Oh well, I guess what is more important to me at the moment, is getting a bigger SDHC memory card, and some screen protectors which I can't seem to find for the regular sized N3DS either.
Don't buy cover plates from Play-Asia unless you want to get ripped off. Use the Cover Plate Importing Spreadsheet if you want to import some cover plates.

Mine doesn't do that, I really need to apply some unusual force to move the top sideway and It will never move anymore because I will never try to do it again.
(n3DSXL model)
It's different between systems, the first Zelda N3DS XL I got was like that and I thought it was extremely annoying. I received a new system the day later and it didn't have those problems: I had to use force to move the screen from left to right just like yours, as opposed to the screen flopping around left and right on its own like with my first unit.

So if peope are experiencing these extremely loose screens and they find it annoying, they should go back and see if they can get a replacement.

hitmon

Question. Are you guys now actually using 3d as a standard when playing games now? Or at least use it more often? Also I know it is stable now but does it still hurt your eyes?

It still hurts the eyes for me. The viewing angle is vastly improved, but sometimes the 3D image can sometimes look distorted.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If I were to hop on Amazon right now, what eould be the best 32gb card to buy regardless of price? I'm mainly looking for the fastest card it'll take.

hitmon

Is it possible to have a Nintendo ID linked to more than one console at a time? If yes, how do the licenses work? Can I download the same free DLC onto both 3DS consoles?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Was playing mon hun 4 on my new 3ds xl and it said the cartridge had been removed mid game. I hadn't and it was still in. As soon as it went to home it showed it was in and I relaunched it. It's the only game I own on cartridge. I need to go digital on it and trade it in it freaked me out. Any one else had similar probs?

hitmon

Was playing mon hun 4 on my new 3ds xl and it said the cartridge had been removed mid game. I hadn't and it was still in. As soon as it went to home it showed it was in and I relaunched it. It's the only game I own on cartridge. I need to go digital on it and trade it in it freaked me out. Any one else had similar probs?

I ran into this issue once, the first time attempting to check for available DLC. It hasn't happened since though.

Kadin

Sorry if this has already been asked (and answered) but I haven't seen an answer to it. Is the MH4UN3DS bundle a limited bundle or is it possible I'll be able to find one in a couple weeks? I'm gonna see about selling my Zelda XL and would love to pick this up in a while. I know they're scarce but I'm just looking to see if they stated it would only be available in one shipment at launch or will they be replenishing them in the coming weeks? Thanks!

Tall Paul

Caved and got a White 3DS yesterday, 2 free games came with it which will sell for a few quid each plus got a free £10 voucher at time of purchase, so used that on Majoras Mask and picked up digital version of Animal Crossing New Leaf for about £24.00, so plenty to do old skool SNES styled fun!

Mob

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S9XZAPK/

Im ordering this one now for my NEW Nintendo 3DS XL just want to be sure its for the XL since the top of the description says 3DS

That is the cradle for the new 3DS XL, yes.

I am going to purchase the charging cradle now from amazon UK(Im in the US) in case I receive it and its defective, can I just send it back(And not pay for shipping) just like I would do if I had gotten this cradle in the US from amazon?

Yes you can return it without paying shipping if it's defective.

hitmon

I don't like it lol I was online and it did it. Thanks for reply tho :)

Yeah, the first time it happened to me I was worried there was something wrong with my system. I saw some videos posted where the cartridge wouldn't stay in, but that wasn't what I was running into. I'm hoping its just a one time thing.

Mob

Which faceplate did you guys go with? I haven't decided on one yet but I'm thinkin no. 05 or 12.

And right now I'm pondering if I should get a craddle+faceplate or a game. Right now I have Steel Diver, Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, so I should be set for some weeks.

I will post in this thread when I have called them in the morning. :)

I got 24, 39 & 50.
50 is my favourite at the moment!

Ryhian

Can anybody with both the HORI duraflexi protector and the XL charging dock verify whether the dock can be used with the protector attached? I'm assuming it probably wouldn't fit but I've already got the protector coming from Amazon for my MM XL and want to know whether the dock would be worth the investment too.

I've looked for this answer and haven't seen someone with this combo chime in. I know this combo didn't work with previous XL model (hori case and dock) so I'm assuming it's the same here. Wondering if any way to modify the dock at all.

Also curious if using a 3d printer could emulate this type of dock but make it a big wider to fit with a small hori case.

Wookieomg

It's different between systems, the first Zelda N3DS XL I got was like that and I thought it was extremely annoying. I received a new system the day later and it didn't have those problems: I had to use force to move the screen from left to right just like yours, as opposed to the screen flopping around left and right on its own like with my first unit.

So if peope are experiencing these extremely loose screens and they find it annoying, they should go back and see if they can get a replacement.

How loose was your screen? I've noticed mine moves around side to side a tiny amount, like there's some wiggle room between the screen and the plastic corners where the hinges are.. I'm not sure that's a problem or not, I noticed it today though.

And the screen moves back and forth if a tiny bit of force is applied. But if I'm just holding it and moving it around, I don't notice much at all.

Not sure if it's a design decision or my hinge really just doesn't hold it in place firmly enough. :/

Sakujou

Banned
Just a stupid question, but since there is a face recognition working insde the n3ds, is there a chance that it works on dark faces worse than with bright faces???

Monster hunter gives me with 3d pretty much headache and the letters are nearly not readable.

And where to get that majoras mask faceplate? The moment it went on sale, it was oos.

Is it possible to have a Nintendo ID linked to more than one console at a time? If yes, how do the licenses work? Can I download the same free DLC onto both 3DS consoles?
One 3DS and one Wii U is the activation limit for an NNID and then end user can only transfer these to another 3DS or Wii U using the system transfer tools, so no.

What do you mean by free DLC; spotpass updates, game patches or something you have to buy off the eShop?

samn

Just a stupid question, but since there is a face recognition working insde the n3ds, is there a chance that it works on dark faces worse than with bright faces???

Monster hunter gives me with 3d pretty much headache and the letters are nearly not readable.

And where to get that majoras mask faceplate? The moment it went on sale, it was oos.

You can test this by switching off face recognition, finding the 'sweet spot' manually and then see if you still experience issues.

kubus

How loose was your screen? I've noticed mine moves around side to side a tiny amount, like there's some wiggle room between the screen and the plastic corners where the hinges are.. I'm not sure that's a problem or not, I noticed it today though.

And the screen moves back and forth if a tiny bit of force is applied. But if I'm just holding it and moving it around, I don't notice much at all.

Not sure if it's a design decision or my hinge really just doesn't hold it in place firmly enough. :/

If I would tilt the system, the screen would move by itself and even make a "clack" sound as it came to a stop against one of the hinges. Adjusting the volume slider or 3D slider would also move the screen left or right. On my current system there is still a gap and the screen will still shift if a tiny bit of force is applied, but it won't move around by pure gravity and it doesn't make the clack sounds anymore.

I'd say if you notice the screen sliding around just from holding the system and it annoys you, return it. If you only notice it when you're actually looking for it or just from applying pressure to the screen, I'd say that's normal and not worth returning the system as it seems to be there by design and a replacement won't fix that.

So what is this charging dock some people are saying? Is it worth getting?

There are pics and information in the OP. I love my charging dock though it looks weird with the Zelda XL because the image on the system is flipped when you put it in the dock :p.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Question. Are you guys now actually using 3d as a standard when playing games now? Or at least use it more often? Also I know it is stable now but does it still hurt your eyes?

I always had 3D on before, but got accustomed to playing within the rigid confines of the viewing angle which can be irritating to deal with.

The new 3D widens the viewing angle, but I do notice that it easily loses focus quite often(but snaps back fairly quickly) and I still get occasional cross-talk where I see double image in certain spots. On the whole it is quite better and a bit more lenient for maintaining the effect, but not perfect by any stretch.

Brannon

Transfer complete! Thankfully I was using a Micro SD in the first place, at least it was made a little easier because fuck Nintendo for this process.

No seriously, what the FUCK IS THIS SHIT.

hitgirl

Did Nintendo mention anything about maybe bringing the New 3DS to US? Sorry if it's been addressed but I have not been following it much.

Did Nintendo mention anything about maybe bringing the New 3DS to US? Sorry if it's been addressed but I have not been following it much.
The official word is "no plans currently" but that really means nothing. If it will ever get localized, it will be announced at E3.

hitmon

One 3DS and one Wii U is the activation limit for an NNID and then end user can only transfer these to another 3DS or Wii U using the system transfer tools, so no.

What do you mean by free DLC; spotpass updates, game patches or something you have to buy off the eShop?

I believe there is some free monster hunter 4 DLC that will be available eventually (not sure if its currently available in the US yet), but would like to download it on both consoles when I switch the cartridge between the 2.

I was planning to use both my original 3DS (more portable) and the new 3DS XL (for home) with the same NNID.

hitgirl

Gotcha, trying to predict Nintendo's decisions is a fools errand. I'm real close to getting the New 3DS XL. If it was in stock I'd probably already have it.

DirtyLarry

On Friday in this thread buried within with my overall initial impressions a comment that I saw all my games and folders disappear after I went into System Settings. It all came back after I restarted.

Well today when I fired up Monster Hunter 4 for the first time and the game creates its first data file, at first it looked like it was going to let me create the data file but then I got a message that I had no SD card.
I went to the Home menu and once again everything was gone.
This time around a restart did not bring everything back.

I had to reopen the back (something I was not crazy about doing thanks to the cheap ass easily stripped screws) and I reseated the MicroSD Card.

For now that seemed to work, but I am wondering what should I do.
Can I just mount the MicroSD card on my PC, copy its contents to another card, and use it instead?

Right now I am using a 32GB SanDisk MicroSD, which to be truthfully honest used to give me mounting problems in my Samsung Galaxy S3 but I read a whole lot of people had mounting errors with that phone so I just dismissed it as the phone itself, but now I am wondering if it is the card.

I have a Sony MicroSD card, same size. So nothing will get weird if I just copy the contents of the SanDisk to my PC, then the Sony card, and just use the Sony card. Right?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to disable the auto-brightness? It's constantly going up and down, drivinge crazy.

Also, what is the trick to maintaining a 3d image? I'm noticing a lot of separation on the right side of my screen. It's definitely better than the original 3DS so far, but now it seems to break randomly. I played a ton of Mario kart 7 and the 3D was pretty much rock solid. However, in MH4, it's breaking up a lot. No idea why.

Top Bottom