• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

21XX

Banned
Guys, they explicitly stated that there will be no NX reveal or discussion in the Direct, so probably no reveal of NX announcement date. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I mean, I hope for this announcement myself, but it's better to go in with low expectations so if it does happen it'd be a happy surprise.

But what if a global, billion-dollar company is lurking in gaf and just trolling us because they want to have some fun!?!?!
/s

Neoxon

Wii U has been dead since Smash Bros launched 2 years ago and 3DS is in hospice with a Sun/Moon IV connected to it.
Splatoon & Super Mario Maker gave the Wii U some life during 2015.

Prediction: MH 5 japan exclusive for 3ds.
5U will be on NX reveal for WW release.
Here's another terrible prediction I'll make.

Monster Hunter 5
I'd be shocked if MH5 wasn't saved for the NX.

It's joke support compared to any healthy platform with the same number of years since release. Especially WiiU, but that arguably never was alive to begin with. Worst droughts I've ever seen for a console from a major publisher.
Your hate for Nintendo right now is only rivaled by Ike Perlmutter's hate for Fox.

Kimishima did say at the beginning of the year that Nintendo Direct was going to be "refurbished" or retuned or something like that. I wonder if this will be the result of that, or if they're holding off on major changes to Nintendo Direct until NX launches, so all of their changes line up with the release of their new generation of systems.

SuperSah

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 Collection or Super Mario Galaxy 3 for 3DS. Believe!

What on Earth makes you think this will happen? An old Iwata Asks for 3D Land said the project started with a Galaxy port which looked way too cramped on 3DS and was eventually canned.

I can't believe that the 3DS can be compared to the Wii U.
This is a 3DS direct and we still have to/can receive plenty of valuable games.
3DS is on another planet in terms of games compared to the Wii U.
Keep your Wii U critics and NX will out of a 3DS thread, please.

3DS got many games since the Smash release. In the last few months we got Fire Embelm, YW, Kirby Robobot, MH Generations, Final Fantasy Explorer, Metroid Fed Force, Bravely Second, Stella glow, Mario & sonic, Etrian Odissey Untold 2, and so on...

3DS is gonna get Ace attorney 6, DQVII and Sonic Ice & Fire this september alone.
Than we should get Dragon 7th, SMTV Final, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Mario Party, Dragon ball fusion at least within the end of the year, with Ever Oasis, YW2 and DQ8 early next year. Possibly, we could also get Etrian Odissey 5, MH Stories, Digimon Universe, One Piece Colosseum, Harvest Moon, Monster Strike, Puzzle & Dragons, even RPG Maker or Culdcept Revolt, YW3, Inazuma Eleven Galaxy 3, Snack world, Megaton Musashi....

I mean...no GTA no party? LOL, c'mon.

Imagine the crazy idea that someone isn't interested in (niche) JRPGs. Then you're left with a bunch of shovelware. Sonic Boom and Federation Force? lol. Being this blatantly onesided means that the lineup has tons of gigantic holes.
Being better than WiiU is a measurement that has no meaning, since WiiU most likely had the worst support of any console with 10mil sales.
3DS had its heyday in 2013 and then it quickly died as a platform that could have more than a single genre to offer.

Also at this point, new game releases in SD are just over man. Who can take this shit anymore?

Dystify

Here's another terrible prediction I'll make.

Monster Hunter 5

Capcom said there's a Monster Hunter title they expect to sell 2mill+ units by the end of their fiscal year, so a new Monster Hunter reveal isn't too unlikely. It may only happen in the Japanese stream though, unless they plan to release it sooner in the West this time around, imo.

I can't believe the Wii U is super, super dead.
jk, of course I can

Inb4 the Direct spends time advertising the Much Anticipated and Highly Beloved Federation Force.

Actual hopes: Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC talk and Pokemon Sun/Moon info.

Griss

I am absolutely shocked that there could be enough left for 3DS to warrant a whole Direct, but I suppose they have to try and get through this holiday season somehow.

Hopefully some good sales on games will be announced - if the NX is in March now is the time to start really moving some of their older software in the 6 month window before it's really obsolete and the bulk of their audience with money moves on.

EDIT: Oh man, if they show Federation Force I will lol. Then again, the increased exposure might help the OT get to a fifth page! That would be impressive! Almost 400 posts!

Genio88

Its weird how people are so desperate for NX while so many people didn't buy a Wii U

Not weird at all, NX will/should be the successor of both 3DS and WiiU, and while WiiU isn't that appreciated(like by me) 3DS is a great handheld which has been doing well, so i guess that's why we are so hyped for it

I think it's entirely possible that we get word of another direct/event later on in the month, though whether they say "NX" in any of that is up in the air. I won't hold my breath, though.

This just might be the last 3DS Direct...It's been fun. I'll wake up early to catch it, since Directs are always a joyride on GAF. :')

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Certainly The Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2 Collection (retail) in the West. What else could it be? Well, there is Mario Party, but...

maxcriden

Hopefully some good sales on games will be announced - if the NX is in March now is the time to start really moving some of their older software in the 6 month window before it's really obsolete and the bulk of their audience with money moves on.

I know pricing for games is a bit different on your side of the pond, Griss, but over here we still have SM64DS going for full price at retailers so I'm skeptical we will see much in NA price-wise beyond games being added to the Selects line.
there's a reason why I put inb4 there :p

Yeah, I know. :) Just couldn't help myself >_<

Griss

I know pricing for games is a bit different on your side of the pond, Griss, but over here we still have SM64DS going for full price at retailers so I'm skeptical we will see much in NA price-wise beyond games being added to the Selects line.

'My side of the pond' lol I know you meant I'm Irish, but I live in the Caribbean right now and 3DS games are 80 US dollars a pop, so that comment made me laugh. You have no idea how rough it is for prices out here. When the PS4 released it was $1,000 lmao.

But yeah, I don't expect anything either. What I hope for and what Nintendo gives me have been two different things for quite some time. Only good thing about the high prices both in Ireland and here is that it means I never regret going digital.

Ultima_5

It's weird how many people act like Nintendo is being abusive to them.

Anyway, pretty stoked to see what they got coming on 3ds

GamerJM

Banned
nice, getting everything out of the way for NX

My thoughts as well. It actually makes a considerable amount of sense. They could be waiting for Sun/Moon release for NX, or they want to do ALL announcements for games they have on current-gen platforms before they even so much mention NX. That could actually be part of why it was absent this year as E3 as well. Why they want to do this, I dunno, but it does make sense and explains its absence.

Dingens

my expectations are set

most likely:

Dragon Ball Fusion
dragon quest 7/8
pokemon sun/moon
Ace attorney 6

Unlikely:

Culdcept Revolt (?) - DO IT!!!!
Mario galaxy n3ds
etrian 5 (?)
Picross 3D 2
the great Ace Attorney
Monster Hunter stories

(europe exclusive:)
Rhythm Heaven
Metroid Prime fed.force
7th dragon
SMT4 final

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There is a good chance that Nintendo will want to have their cake and eat it too. That means that they could try to still pretend there is no new console coming until after the holidays/Pokemon and hope to both have enough time to market NX properly and control the message about it by then.

And I think that it will fail, because the leakers are already controlling the NX messaging more or less, but it will fully Nintendo-like to reveal it in December sometime. And I more and more believe in this possibility.

The Hermit

4281208-blue-balls-background.jpg

Are you seriously saying that their wider audience that are 3DS fans don't care at all about NX? What exactly compels you to think this?

Yes. The enthusiast who actually knows and is hyped about the NX represents a small minority (1-2%). The rest don't care outside of whatever big game comes to their platform be it Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. And there are games Nintendo is still pushing for the 3DS like Dragon Quest and Pokemon that they need to hype of their audience to buy.

Anecdotally, I know like 5 people who have a 3DS and only one actually knows about the NX beforehand. They'll do their big marketing push for the NX eventually but timing plays a big factor in all of these things. And considering a bunch of big 3DS games are coming out this fall those titles get first priority over what many will precieve as their next handheld that won't be out for months.

Everybody's saying "The first is real" but it's really not. Nintendo has several other products they're pushing this year alone be it New 3DS models, amiibo, that NES classic, and games that are going to get the marketing push before the NX.

With that being said, I'm still expecting them to start talking about the NX in late September or early October but probably not the blowout everybody's thinking will happen. I could see the NX being something of a low-key reveal until they really start their marketing campaign closer to launch.

casiopao

my expectations are set

most likely:

Dragon Ball Fusion
dragon quest 7/8
pokemon sun/moon
Ace attorney 6

Unlikely:

Culdcept Revolt (?) - DO IT!!!!
Mario galaxy n3ds
etrian 5 (?)
Picross 3D 2
the great Ace Attorney
Monster Hunter stories

(europe exclusive:)
Rhythm Heaven
Metroid Prime fed.force
7th dragon
SMT4 final

Ever Oasis guyssss. Lets hope for YW 3 too.^_^

maxcriden

'My side of the pond' lol I know you meant I'm Irish, but I live in the Caribbean right now and 3DS games are 80 US dollars a pop, so that comment made me laugh. You have no idea how rough it is for prices out here. When the PS4 released it was $1,000 lmao.

But yeah, I don't expect anything either. What I hope for and what Nintendo gives me have been two different things for quite some time. Only good thing about the high prices both in Ireland and here is that it means I never regret going digital.

Oh, I didn't realize you'd moved from Ireland, my apologies. I only had remembered UK. That's insane pricing in the Caribbean, I wasn't aware of that. Agreed 100% on high pricing of games making digital an easier sell though I do miss the DDP.

ckfy63a

Everyone seems to be expecting a bunch of localization news...but this is a global Direct. What will be in the Japan direct then? Sun/Moon and DLC stuff can't carry that hard, can they?

21XX

Banned
There is a good chance that Nintendo will want to have their cake and eat it too. That means that they could try to still pretend there is no new console coming until after the holidays/Pokemon and hope to both have enough time to market NX properly and control the message about it by then.

And I think that it will fail, because the leakers are already controlling the NX messaging more or less, but it will fully Nintendo-like to reveal it in December sometime. And I more and more believe in this possibility.

It's baffling to me that anyone could believe that even a moderately successful company would think that ~three months is enough lead time for a major console release. NX is not going to cannibalize Pokemon sales.

Now, whether or not Nintendo nails the messaging is entirely up in the air. But they'll absolutely have more than three months to do it.

maxcriden

I understand where you're coming from and the idea of what their logic could be, but the idea of revealing it during the holiday season just sounds so wildly counterintuitive to what their marketing people surely would tell them. I sincerely hope they do not reveal specifically from Black Friday/any competitor console launches in November through end of December. And then I think January is too late.

I feel like the only happy that we're getting anything from Nintendo at all :/

I'm happy as well, similar to what Dark Cloud said above. Most of the upcoming 3DS unreleased or unlocalized games we know of aren't personally appealing to me so my expectations for what I'll personally get out of the Direct are tempered, but I'm going in optimistically. I'll be delighted if we get Detective Pikachu at least and that does seem like a decent candidate for an "available now" release.

Everyone seems to be expecting a bunch of localization news...but this is a global Direct. What will be in the Japan direct then? Sun/Moon and DLC stuff can't carry that hard, can they?

If I recall correctly, usually, when it's a WW Direct (since each Direct is in part its own regional version, or at least it's been that way in the past), during the time they talk about localizations in NA/EU, they talk about new Japanese games in the JP Direct,

Kadin

Yes. The enthusiast who actually knows and is hyped about the NX represents a small minority (1-2%). The rest don't care outside of whatever big game comes to their platform be it Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. And there are games Nintendo is still pushing for the 3DS like Dragon Quest and Pokemon that they need to hype of their audience to buy.

Anecdotally, I know like 5 people who have a 3DS and only one actually knows about the NX beforehand. They'll do their big marketing push for the NX eventually but timing plays a big factor in all of these things. And considering a bunch of big 3DS games are coming out this fall those titles get first priority over what many will precieve as their next handheld that won't be out for months.

Everybody's saying "The first is real" but it's really not. Nintendo has several other products they're pushing this year alone be it New 3DS models, amiibo, that NES classic, and games that are going to get the marketing push before the NX.

With that being said, I'm still expecting them to start talking about the NX in late September or early October but probably not the blowout everybody's thinking will happen. I could see the NX being something of a low-key reveal until they really start their marketing campaign closer to launch.
Sorry, I edited my original post that you quoted (removed it actually) because I misread what you said. But I still appreciate the response.

Ridley327

We're due for more Monster Hunter Stories details, and a very likely announcement for Monster Hunter X G. Not sure what else is on the horizon in Japan, but those are two big games to cover.

Jucksalbe

Banned
When's that amiibo patch for Animal Crossing supposed to come out? I guess they might show that. Plus the new DLC for Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Top Bottom