• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of Doom [pissfilter is gone]

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I want to see Spider Mastermind in new Doom. Don't know why they didn't put that beautiful monster in Doom 3. :( its concept was awesome!

Q2uB0t.jpg

And this blue creature in tech demos was amazing too.

68TPjp.jpg

But that's an arachnotron!

But that's an arachnotron!
Aren't Arachnotrons the little ones in classic Dooms?

VUAx2T.jpg

Right: Spider Mastermind
Left: Arachnotron

I always looked at this concept as Spider Mastermind and think it looks like a giant creature! albeit we can't findout about its scale from this pic and maybe I'm wrong!

Shredderi

Aren't Arachnotrons the little ones in classic Dooms?

VUAx2T.jpg

Right: Spider Mastermind
Left: Arachnotron

I always looked at this concept as Spider Mastermind and think it looks like a giant creature! albeit we can't findout about its scale from this pic and maybe I'm wrong!

I was so scared of DOOM as a kid. These monsters are fucking scary.

Nzyme32

Doom-new-screenshots-4.jpg

Thank fuck. This was my main complaint along with the slow nature of the game from the footage available, low enemy numbers on screen, slow not as gratifying "takedowns" / shhoting / action and fear of poor level design vs the dooms of old. Hoping they can disprove these in time if they are willing to remove the "pissfilter"

I swear some of you will not be happy until the make a 2.5D original doom clone without jumping or vertical shooting. It's 2016, everything has changed besides your own tastes and that's fine but a problem arises when this group becomes an echo chamber.

1. There was never a "piss filter" iD said it was dynamic lighting.

2. Doom is ancient in game franchise years and needs to be relevant to people living in 2016 not 1996.

3. If you don't like what you see, don't buy it. But I bet a lot of the complainers who can only spew repetitive garbage can't help but buy it.

4. Doom 1 & 2 still exist and there are new adventures to be had there.

5. Consoles are iDs biggest market. This isn't up for debate. They won't shed too many tears over the PC players who throw tantrums on forums because there are executions in the game. They were probably going to buy the game during a sale anyways.

It's 2016, get over yourselves.

Well, it is presumably just the DOF that comes up in context when weapon wheeling.
If not, it can probably be toggled in menu, or tweaked in the ini file, so not a big deal. Just found it funny.

I doubt this will be as good as Wolfenstein The New Order, but hopefully it does a good job of classic run and gun gameplay.

Really can't wait for this.

The big question for me though is not about how it controls or the game speed. It's about whether this one will bring back the other-worldly, Witchcrafty feel/atmosphere that is present in all the originals. Doom 3 completely lost that feeling and that is a large part of why that game was so disappointing. I think them getting the atmospherics right is more important for me than how fast it plays.

I swear some of you will not be happy until the make a 2.5D original doom clone without jumping or vertical shooting. It's 2016, everything has changed besides your own tastes and that's fine but a problem arises when this group becomes an echo chamber.

2. Doom is ancient in game franchise years and needs to be relevant to people living in 2016 not 1996.

3. If you don't like what you see, don't buy it. But I bet a lot of the complainers who can only spew repetitive garbage can't help but buy it.

5. Consoles are iDs biggest market. This isn't up for debate. They won't shed too many tears over the PC players who throw tantrums on forums because there are executions in the game. They were probably going to buy the game during a sale anyways.

Agree completely. Art direction complaints for a game like this is bananas. Doom is essentially Aliens meets Evil Dead with demons. Sci-Fi future with red/yellow Martian skies is a visual pillar.

low-G

AFAIK Doom 3's light and shadow rendering weren't matched by Source and CryEngine on a technical level, id Tech 4 introducing a far more complex method of unified shadow volumes and pixel lighting. It was unlike anything else out there.

Actually a lot of games used shadow volumes (been an option since GLQuake1!) and per pixel lighting, but Doom 3 applied it more aggressively (higher polygon shadow volumes = massive fillrate drain) than any game I can recall at that time.

To me Doom 3 looked damn good, but Far Cry with the HDR upgrade looked amazing in a different way. Apples & oranges.

Neither came close to Doom 1's tech at its release.

But you're all right that Doom 2016 is more modest for its upcoming time.

This is true, but people tend to use it against older(80s-90s) games, when in truth, even stylistic choices of the 00s aren't relevant by moder(2016) standards either. Some tend to think the 00s are free of criticism, but we've basically moved ON from that point, graphically and stylistically. I do think some fans of the 00 aesthetics are clinging to their rose-tinted(or piss-tinted) nostalgia for the last decade, it's not ONLY 90s gamers. And in the coming years, you're going to see MORE 00-fanboys come out of the woodwork with thier nostalgia for the last decade. But as of right now, they still believe themselves align with "modern taste" when taste and relevance is every changing, and clearly has moved on from them years ago.

Looks really good, but I prefer the old 'piss filer' look if I'm honest - feels more DOOMey to me; adds a certain atmosphere.

Any gameplay videos going around as I would be interested to see how it looks in motion?

If not, it can probably be toggled in menu, or tweaked in the ini file, so not a big deal. Just found it funny.

I doubt this will be as good as Wolfenstein The New Order, but hopefully it does a good job of classic run and gun gameplay.

Hah. Yeah of course.

I am only worried about the melee in the game. I am not a big fan of games that emphasize speed to drop into canned animations when doing something.

In something like a slow shooter like rainbow six or arma it would make a lot of sense. In doom? Beyond looking awesome, I think it could conflict with the gameplay design.

This is true, but people tend to use it against older(80s-90s) games, when in truth, even stylistic choices of the 00s aren't relevant by moder(2016) standards either. Some tend to think the 00s are free of criticism, but we've basically moved ON from that point, graphically and stylistically. I do think some fans of the 00 aesthetics are clinging to their rose-tinted(or piss-tinted) nostalgia for the last decade, it's not ONLY 90s gamers. And in the coming years, you're going to see MORE 00-fanboys come out of the woodwork with thier nostalgia for the last decade. But as of right now, they still believe themselves align with "modern taste" when taste and relevance is every changing, and clearly has moved on from them years ago.

I think I find it majorly annoying when people are complaining that cacos don't have red flesh and purple mouths, that time slows when you change your weapon, or that the BFG is a special weapon now. No one is asking the most important question: is this game good? Is this something we should look forward to? I've put at least 5 hours into the alpha, I've played it! I can say with full confidence that I believe that this game is in good hands. I want to have real conversations about this, but the complaints that I see have such easy solutions. Don't like the executions? Don't perform them. Don't like story in your games and you don't want cutscenes? Skip them, or close your eyes for a second; those pesky back stories will be over soon. Don't think the graphics are up to par? Shit, I don't know how to help you. I hope you enjoy playing The Order 1886 for the fifth time.

Mupod

They are straight up saying that they know exactly 'What Doom is about' and are completely playing up that angle in their marketing material. They are absolutely making the statement that they are trying to bring Doom's style of gameplay forward. If they weren't doing this then maybe getting defensive about people challenging their statements might make sense - but Doom fans are well within their rights here. You can't say you're staying faithful to Doom and then show a slow, typical modern console-style FPS.

I mean, I know people who started playing Doom and never stopped. The kind of person who thought Serious Sam (the first one) wasn't 'doom-like' enough to be even considered for comparison in gameplay. I'm well aware that these people exist and I don't think that this game should 100% cater to them. But maybe they should listen to them because THEY sure as shit know what Doom is about. I'm not sure the devs of this game do.

I just get the sense that new Doom is out of touch, like it's something that would have been interesting a few years ago but we HAVE been seeing revivals of this type for a while now. Few/none of them truly captured what old school FPS gameplay (and level design) was like but Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, Shadow Warrior etc have been there and done that. Doom is trying to be this:

And that's fine, I've enjoyed plenty of recent shooters. But pissing in my ear while yelling to the world about how hard it's raining is going to set me off a little.

Don't even get me started on the multiplayer. Watching footage of the alpha right now and I can't understand what they are thinking with this. I wasn't hoping for Quake 3 but as someone who actually likes Halo and Destiny, this looks like an amateurish attempt at imitating those. Except it's even slower.

I want to make it clear that I'm fully expecting myself to enjoy this game. You have to really fuck up a game like this to put me off, I had fun with Fear 3 for god's sake. I just don't see why I should be celebrating anything other than the fact that 'well, it could have been a lot fucking worse'

I mean, I know people who started playing Doom and never stopped. The kind of person who thought Serious Sam (the first one) wasn't 'doom-like' enough to be even considered for comparison in gameplay. I'm well aware that these people exist and I don't think that this game should 100% cater to them. But maybe they should listen to them because THEY sure as shit know what Doom is about. I'm not sure the devs of this game do.

I just get the sense that new Doom is out of touch, like it's something that would have been interesting a few years ago but we HAVE been seeing revivals of this type for a while now. Few/none of them truly captured what old school FPS gameplay (and level design) was like but Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, Shadow Warrior etc have been there and done that. Doom is trying to be this:

Ha, that image is perfect! The "new oldschool" level design is definitely superior to the ridiculously-linear crap we've seen so many times in Call of Duty and Battlefield campaigns, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't even hold a candle to the complex labyrinths that were in the original DOOM games Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, you name it. I imagine most people probably haven't played the classic FPSs in quite some time, therefore they have false recollections of how exactly their levels were structured and how they played overall.

This new DOOM game looks like a blast, but aside from the large arsenal and many familiar foes, I haven't seen very many classic DOOM-like things about it. It looks more like Wolfenstein TNO in terms of its structure. But I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. :)

Hah. Yeah of course.

I am only worried about the melee in the game. I am not a big fan of games that emphasize speed to drop into canned animations when doing something.

In something like a slow shooter like rainbow six or arma it would make a lot of sense. In doom? Beyond looking awesome, I think it could conflict with the gameplay design.

Yeah I didn't like those animations either and it made the gameplay seem more repetitive than it probably is in the demo. At one point I just wanted Doom off the stage as they kept doing the finishers.

They are straight up saying that they know exactly 'What Doom is about' and are completely playing up that angle in their marketing material. They are absolutely making the statement that they are trying to bring Doom's style of gameplay forward. If they weren't doing this then maybe getting defensive about people challenging their statements might make sense - but Doom fans are well within their rights here. You can't say you're staying faithful to Doom and then show a slow, typical modern console-style FPS.

And that's fine, I've enjoyed plenty of recent shooters. But pissing in my ear while yelling to the world about how hard it's raining is going to set me off a little.

Don't even get me started on the multiplayer. Watching footage of the alpha right now and I can't understand what they are thinking with this. I wasn't hoping for Quake 3 but as someone who actually likes Halo and Destiny, this looks like an amateurish attempt at imitating those. Except it's even slower.

I want to make it clear that I'm fully expecting myself to enjoy this game. You have to really fuck up a game like this to put me off, I had fun with Fear 3 for god's sake. I just don't see why I should be celebrating anything other than the fact that 'well, it could have been a lot fucking worse'

When did you get maps of DOOMs levels? You're making far fetched assumptions because you obviously want something to be mad at. ID wants to show DOOM to a new gen of gamers and have there title stand on its own as strong. It's a damn reboot not Doom 4, it's their new artistic vision. Either stay for the ride or vote with your wallet. Elitist so are so small compared to their possible market. You're pissing in the wind and your fears are made before even knowing much about the game.

Jito

Banned
You can't say you're staying faithful to Doom and then show a slow, typical modern console-style FPS.

I don't know what game you've been looking at or played but this is far from any other FPS on the market. What makes it a typical modern console style FPS exactly?

Mupod

When did you get maps of DOOMs levels? You're making far fetched assumptions because you obviously want something to be mad at. ID wants to show DOOM to a new gen of gamers and have there title stand on its own as strong. It's a damn reboot not Doom 4, it's their new artistic vision. Either stay for the ride or vote with your wallet. Elitist so are so small compared to their possible market. You're pissing in the wind and your fears are made before even knowing much about the game.

I just don't understand the point you're trying to make. Is it that I shouldn't care whether this is anything like Doom, or that I'm wrong about how it's not like Doom? Regardless, that's not even what I was talking about. You seem to believe they don't care about being compared to the originals, when their own statements say otherwise. I'm specifically calling out that awful gameinformer article.

Stow the 'doom elitists' strawman because I already said that I'm not one. If anything I prefer this kind of game (my ideal FPS is something like FEAR or Bulletstorm) and I'll probably like it. But I'm allowed to criticize it. I'd be thrilled if I'm completely wrong about the game, but it's so rare that anything surprises me these days (for better or worse).

I don't know what game you've been looking at or played but this is far from any other FPS on the market. What makes it a typical modern console style FPS exactly?

Like I said, the game just feels like a late response to the state of shooters in 2010-2011. We've been moving away from those for a long time now. Far from any other FPS on the market? There's been plenty of these 'new-oldschool FPSes' recently and not-so-recently, even the big shooters are changing. Hell, I'm watching footage of the alpha side by side with Halo 5 and that game's movement options are making it look faster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we aren't getting another Doom 3 or whatever the hell 4 was going to be. But the things the devs are saying aren't matching up with what I'm seeing in front of my face. And I don't agree with the 'omg its totally Doom for real' praise it's being showered with.

Fuzzen

Banned
As a Doom fan since I was 7 years old (it was the first game I ever played, I was born in '88), this looks damn near perfect to me. Perks and leveling are whatever, Wolfenstein basically had the same thing and it was the best SP FPS since Half-Life 2. The BFG has also always more or less been a "panic" weapon anyway, can't judge how it's implemented until I play the game. The look and feel of this, though, is already miles ahead of Doom 3. I've played the Alpha and it's amazing, brings back that Quake 3 Arena feel for the first time in I don't know how long.

G-Fex

It's probably going to be garbage, and the levels will probably be piss poor progression with scripted events or something.

Damn them monsters looking nasty! Saw some of that leaked alpha footage and didn't seem bad at all. Haven't really played doom series before, so not having any expectations regarding how a doom game should feel and play like might be a good thing, right? Will buy if not a complete bomba for sure.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Maybe it's been noted already, but one of the salient points of having a brighter colour palette is the ability to spot your enemies and identify them from afar in a game with large levels that that requires quick reflexes. Enemies need to pop, so to speak, even if that comes at the cost of realism.

Either way, we need to see the game in movement. We all know that screenshots alone don't tell the complete visual story.

Edit: I don't believe that blue thing is a standard Imp. If that's the case, I certainly prefer the one from the unveiling.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Great comparison!
I love new Cacodemon and Mancubus designs, but Imp... I think "E3 reveal" one is much better.
You should do this for Cyberdemon, Hell Knight (?), Revenant and Lost Soul too! :)

Oh i didn't made this, i just found it on twitter.

Dahaka

Looking at Doom (and realizing how I missed this franchise) I'm right now asking myself which last shooter I played where I kinda feared what monstrosity might lie ahead of my path.

I remember playing Quake 2 when it was released (and Doom) and was kinda terrified what would await me in the next room or stage. Always.

I played Dead Space and Co. but trying to remember a FPS.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Are we 100% sure that's the new Imp?

Anyway, the new engine may not be revolutionary, but it looks great to me. And oddly enough, it seems to have the kind of lighting and texture work I'd want in a Blood remake.

Somebody put Jace Hall on the phone.

It's probably going to be garbage, and the levels will probably be piss poor progression with scripted events or something.

yeah I'm still waiting for the game to actually be out. You can have pretty monsters but if the gameplay and design are shit it's just pointless

Who owns Blood IP now?

Mother fucking Atari games. :(

Also, ID is really listening with the art style... this looks pretty good.

Honestly... I love the Doom 3 Imp design. I think it holds up really well and has an iconic look of its own. Doom 3's designs are pretty underrated overall, IMO. Except for the Cacodaemon, that one sucks. The originals will always be the nostalgic classics, but the Doom 3 designs were no slouch. I like the new Cacodaemon. The new Imp is a little.... ehhh... I like the E3 reveal model more. Mancubus is neat with that third eye.

evilr

Banned
As a Doom fan since I was 7 years old (it was the first game I ever played, I was born in '88), this looks damn near perfect to me. Perks and leveling are whatever, Wolfenstein basically had the same thing and it was the best SP FPS since Half-Life 2. The BFG has also always more or less been a "panic" weapon anyway, can't judge how it's implemented until I play the game. The look and feel of this, though, is already miles ahead of Doom 3. I've played the Alpha and it's amazing, brings back that Quake 3 Arena feel for the first time in I don't know how long.

Yep same era as me (89). Doom 3 to me was crap and it was a game I was waiting for years to play. I actually thought the leaked Alpha of Doom 3 was vastly superior to what we ended up with. It certainly lost track in its development and didn't know what it wanted to be.

This time (which by the way is the longest we have gone without a new Doom) it is clear what direction is being taken. It's not a horror game, even though that feel can come across naturally, it's a fast paced survival game. I absolutely love the Cacodemon and Mancubus design (is the green blob on the mancubus his eye just looks like a gem) but I think the imp and Cyberdemon design are poor. They look more like aliens, not hell monsters.

This is the only game I am looking forward to and I am hoping it releases April time!!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Mother fucking Atari games. :(

Also, ID is really listening with the art style... this looks pretty good.

Honestly... I love the Doom 3 Imp design. I think it holds up really well and has an iconic look of its own. Doom 3's designs are pretty underrated overall, IMO. Except for the Cacodaemon, that one sucks. The originals will always be the nostalgic classics, but the Doom 3 designs were no slouch. I like the new Cacodaemon. The new Imp is a little.... ehhh... I like the E3 reveal model more. Mancubus is neat with that third eye.
Eh, I think half of Doom 3's enemies looked quite poor. Specially the Mancubus. OG Doom's was just plain grotesque, while Doom 3 was almost sterile in comparison.

However, I agree in that Doom's enemies need to look more demonic and revolting than alien or fully robotic. Leave that to the Quake franchise. Revenants and Cacos are soo much better this time around.

Hall was working on a remaster a couple of years ago, but Atari had a change of heart and killed the project.
Atari needs to die once and for all.

Eh, I think half of Doom 3's enemies looked quite poor. Specially the Mancubus. OG Doom's was just plain grotesque, while Doom 3 was almost sterile in comparison.

Yeah, they were more mechanical to fit with a different theme in Doom 3. I thought it worked well for the limitations of 2004. But they will never be as good as the organic look of the originals. New designs try to stay faithful to the originals while giving them a face lift. I think they look alright with the exception of the Imp.

_Clash_

I want to be excited but not quite there.

Weapons and environments are uninspiring. This game will get compared to Wolfenstein TNO a lot and it needs the same level of creative weaponry complimented with popping artwork.

Some Inspiration from the old 90s promotional material might be a good idea.

Are we 100% sure that's the new Imp?

Anyway, the new engine may not be revolutionary, but it looks great to me. And oddly enough, it seems to have the kind of lighting and texture work I'd want in a Blood remake.

Somebody put Jace Hall on the phone.

Does Jace Hall own the Blood IP right now?

The hit feedback, or whatever you want to call it, still doesn't look that great to me. Makes the weapons seem kinda limp.

Top Bottom