• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of Doom [pissfilter is gone]

New screen from Gameinformer's coverage, another update on Jan. 11:

baronofhell.jpg

My Little Hellbaron can't possibly be this Kawaii

Annoys me how for most monsters they've tried to retain the classic look but the Imps and Knights of Hell both look like their lame-ass D3 counterparts.

Where's my brown spiky imp with red eyes? :(

dr_rus

Its a legit trade off tho

Doom3 was amazing visually but also sacrificed the gameplay that folks fell in love with

I think Doom2016 looks excellent and IS bringing back that gameplay

I seriously doubt that "that gameplay" can even exist beyond the 2.5D limitations of Tech1. And while Doom 3 "sacrificed" it it sure as hell had a different good gameplay going on.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this going to have VR features?

Fast moving FPS games are not good in VR [they could work with teleporting, but that is not perfect solution for every fps game]. Maybe some RTS mode in Snapmap will be VR-friendly, but who knows if the game will even support VR rendering/VR-friendly HUD, etc.

I actually like a lot of doom 3 monster designs. The hell knights still look, sound, and animate really well in comparison to modern games.

I also love Doom 1 and doom 2 monster designs, so it is not like you have to pit one against the other. What a shame htey never added an archvile to Doom 3, it fits in perfectly with that aesthetic.

Koobion

This looks so, so much better. I was really disappointed in the visuals at the reveal, but this makes it look far and away more impressive to me. It looks like id Software was listening!

This thread dammit.

*Game actually prioritizes consistent 60 fps*

"Meh, looks kinda shitty. Looks like a late PS3 game."

*Game tries to recreate the fast, tactical action of Doom, but you know, do some things new too*

"The weapon loadout isn't identical to the original Doom? They changed the way the BFG9000 works!? BLASPHEMY!?"

This is why we can't have nice things.

I can't help but feeling that when they designed the PBR pipeline for their game they made a huge mistae somwhere. Everything looks so unbelievably fake in those screenshots. Especially the models.

caleb1915

But it was in Doom 3!
HJdFv6m.jpg

Though they didn't resurrect enemies, they just summoned more.

Are you sure? I feel like I've seen an enemy get resurrected with this big flashy animation that lifts the enemy up Advent Rising style, and then they come back to life.

Thought it's been like 7 years since I played Doom 3.

exoddus21

Neo Member
Are you sure? I feel like I've seen an enemy get resurrected with this big flashy animation that lifts the enemy up Advent Rising style, and then they come back to life.

Thought it's been like 7 years since I played Doom 3.
If I remember correctly, enemies' corpses vaporize on death in Doom 3. It could have been a certain scene when it happens though. But the closest animation I can think of is humans been possessed by lost souls.

watchdog

Looks good. Though I'm not too keen on the imps (I think) looking more alien-like. Other than that I'm sure the game is going to look stunning in motion. All the latest screens I've seen have quite a bit of compression.

I don't know what this "pissfilter" talk is all about. Part of what they showed was set in a foundry with molten metal and smoke. That would most likely give things a yellowish look because of the lighting. The second part was set in Hell where they had gone for a fire, smoke, and sulfur type atmosphere. In that setting, once again, things would look yellowish.

Dryk

Those are proper fucking Cacodemons!
The colouration on the Cacodemons and enemies in general was my main gripe with the graphics initially. It's good to see they've listened. I'm still not sold on the level design and gameplay but they've definitely moved closer to getting the look of Doom right since the reveal.

You've got so many iconic designs iD don't squander them. People will argue about whether the arms look good or whatever but those are instantly recogniseable as Cacodemons and that's the important thing.

Expansion for Doom 3.
Ah.... that is why. I have only played through the RoE until a bit after you get the SSG.
To be fair, Doom 3 was ahead of its time.
Doom 3 targetted barley existing hardware and Doom (4) is targetting low end hardware @ 60fps.

Somethings gotta give of course.

I hope it scales really high up though! I mean... their tech team seems to be full of a bunch of competent people, so one can hope.

Archviles were in original Doom 3 (I don't remember about expansion), but maybe some people didn't see them correctly between lots of enemies and effects when they arrived! I hate them so much, in every Doom game.

evilr

Banned
Ha, Archvilles in Doom 1/2 = fuck gotta take him out fast. Doom 3 they was a piece of piss.

Wonder if they'll return for Doom 4?

nkarafo

To be fair, Doom 3 was ahead of its time.
I'm not sure... i mean FarCry 1 was already out and it had comparable graphics and in some ways it was even better (lush foliage, large open environments, better physics, etc). IMO at least.

Same goes for Riddick. This game looked almost exactly like Doom 3, with comparable lighting effects and all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not sure... i mean FarCry 1 was already out and it had comparable graphics and in some ways it was even better (lush foliage, large open environments, better physics, etc). IMO at least.

AFAIK Doom 3's light and shadow rendering weren't matched by Source and CryEngine on a technical level, id Tech 4 introducing a far more complex method of unified shadow volumes and pixel lighting. It was unlike anything else out there.

I want to see Spider Mastermind in new Doom. Don't know why they didn't put that beautiful monster in Doom 3. :( its concept was awesome!

Q2uB0t.jpg

And this blue creature in tech demos was amazing too.

68TPjp.jpg

I want to see Spider Mastermind in new Doom. Don't know why they didn't put that beautiful monster in Doom 3. :( its concept was awesome!

Q2uB0t.jpg

And this blue creature in tech demos was amazing too.

68TPjp.jpg

Yeah only if these made their way in. I love that Spider Master Mind concept!

nkarafo

AFAIK Doom 3's light and shadow rendering weren't matched by Source and CryEngine on a technical level, id Tech 4 introducing a far more complex method of unified shadow volumes and pixel lighting. It was unlike anything else out there.
Yeah but i forgot to mention Riddick (edited). That game had almost just as good lighting as Doom 3 and i think it was an earlier game too. It was also lighter since it could run on XBOX without sacrifices (the flashlight in Doom 3 on XBOX doesn't cast shadows).

I think! that CryEngine 1 (that engine from Far Cry) had stencil volume support (as well as bump mapping of course) that was used in a number of indoor scenes; which is basically that same thing doom 3 is doing. It probably is done in a different way though.

Indeed it did: : Finding Next Gen – CryEngine 2
In our first title Far Cry we had shadow maps and projected shadows per object for the sun shadows. We suffered from typical shadow map aliasing quality issues but it was a good choice at that time. For performance reasons we pre-computed vegetation shadows but memory restrictions limited us to very blurry textures. For high end hardware configurations we added shadow maps even to vegetation but combining them with the pre-computed solution was flawed. We used stencil shadows for point lights as that were an easier and more efficient solution. CPU skinning allowed shadow silhouette extraction on the CPU and the GPU rendered the stencil shadows. It became obvious that this technique would become a problem the more detailed objects we wanted to render. It relied on CPU skinning, required extra CPU computation, an upload to GPU, extra memory for the edge data structures and had hardly predictable performance characteristics. The missing support for alpha-blended or tested shadow casters made this technique not even usable for the palm trees – an asset that was crucial for the tropical island look (Figure 7).

Toxi

Banned
The enemies look much more vibrant and distinct from their environments in these shots. Overall a huge improvement.

Top Bottom