• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of Doom [pissfilter is gone]

Fractal

Banned
Looks great, though I'm more interested in how it plays. Really hope we get another pleasant surprise here, like with Wolfenstein TNO.

Mike Golf

There is no such thing as singleplayer betas for the public. Those are done in house.

Well I didn't say public, I was referring to the closed Beta using the code that came with the first run of Wolfenstein. Granted I think those codes stretched longer than the first print of the game, but still it won't be an open Beta.

amnesiac

Strong pissfilter was present even in industrial level from E3, not only demon realms

I still think it's environmental. The "filter" in the industrial level seems to be only apparent when the yellow smelting lava (?) is seen in the room. If you look at the rooms where it isn't present, the coloring is way more like the new pictures:

pWGGPpH.png

The third and ninth pics in the OP aren't really too different from the filtered shots that everybody points to.

I could be wrong though.

AerialAir

Banned
It looks great, but the corridors are a bit too Doom 3 inspired in my opinion, and that, is a bad thing. Killer screens other than that.

Fasty

No ones calling "bullshot" on these screens? There's no way the final game is going to have that extreme DOF effect

Pizza

DAMN I was literally looking at the yellow screenshots today thinking "damn I'm totally going to get this on PC when there's a good texture mod"

And now, here it is

No ones calling "bullshot" on these screens? There's no way the final game is going to have that extreme DOF effect

To be honest if it did I'd sure as hell be looking to turn it off as soon as possible. I can't see that level of DOF being anything but an intrusion during gameplay. I just thought that was done in post anyway.

Cocademons then and now

Kinda wish they'd retained the fatness of the original.

That screenshot was taken in a source port with an incorrect aspect ratio, they're meant to be spherical. I get a sense from the screenshots that the new cacos are meant to be smaller, but the proportions line up with the original.

eldudebro

I like the direction this game is going. An improvement on earlier screens.

My memory of Doom 1 and 2 is red. Everything in glorious red.

lmao at piss filter - am I missing something here?

So what engine are you using?
Unreal 4.1 - it's a newer version that comes with a piss filter

So what pre-order bonuses can we expect?
If you pre-order you get exclusive access to the piss filter

Is Doom the official title of the game?
No that's just the code name - the official title is Doom 4: Piss Filter

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Cocademons then and now

Kinda wish they'd retained the fatness of the original.
They look fat enough to me. The original was perfectly round. That screenshot at the top is stretched. Aside from the added arms, they look perfect to me. Red enough. Green eye with blue glow in the mouth. That's what a Cacodemon should be.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I can't fucking wait.

I hope it runs well on consoles.

The "piss filter" (overbearing lighting) is probably still in the game, just in the hell level shown at E3 and the ones in the new shots.

baphomet

I kind of liked the filter. Hopefully it's optional.

I understand why people like it better without, but I really liked the drab look from before.

But from the E3 video, we already know that that DOF effect is in the game... although admittedly, only when you bring up the weapon select.

I still think it's environmental. The "filter" in the industrial level seems to be only apparent when the yellow smelting lava (?) is seen in the room. If you look at the rooms where it isn't present, the coloring is way more like the new pictures:

pWGGPpH.png

The third and ninth pics in the OP aren't really too different from the filtered shots that everybody points to.

Agreed. It seems most people here aren't familiar with color grading, which often differs in games per level/area. The "piss filter" may very well still exist in the levels we were shown previously.

I do hope we're wrong, though, because these new screenshots look fantastic!

Agreed. It seems most people here aren't familiar with color grading, which often differs in games per level/area. The "piss filter" may very well still exist in the levels we were shown previously.

I do hope we're wrong, though, because these new screenshots look fantastic!

Disagree completely - I'm pretty sure the new shots show more than just just a difference in color grading. If you compare the Cacodemons in the old and new screenshots, they're practically brown in the original, but other elements - like the blood and lighting in the background - are still bright red. If it was a post-process effect or simple color grading, everything would be equally desaturated, not just the enemies.

The designs are lacking something. They certainly look cool, but they don't come off as scary, frightening, or intimidating, like I think they ought to.

Top Bottom