• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 information from Gamestar

All the world design talk in the interview is music to my ears. Figuring out why a settlement is where it is on your map and how it sustains itself is the kind of small detail that goes a long way towards building an interesting and believable world that doesn't turn into Bethesda style theme park garbage.

SaberEdge

If this is downgraded then I want all games to get downgraded :)

Yeah, the game looks fantastic to me. It looks just as good as any gameplay I've ever seen for the game. I don't think it makes sense to compare gameplay to the cutscene parts of the trailers. We can compare those cutscenes directly when the game comes out. But the recent gameplay videos and screenshots definitely look just as good as any of the earlier gameplay.

tuxfool

Banned
I love the Elder Scrolls formula and open world stuff. Its why I'm quite excited about TW3.

TW3 open world isn't the same as the ES formula.

Given everything we know, it isn't as systemic and is much more crafted. Seems to be less potatoland too.

RedSwirl

TW3 open world isn't the same as the ES formula.

Given everything we know, it isn't as systemic and is much more crafted. Seems to be less potatoland too.

To me it actually sounds quite similar to the ES formula. It sounds nearly as systemic, but you're right that it sounds like it's going to be less potato land.

Yasae

Banned
Actually, they specifically said they revealed early because they were hiring and had trouble finding enough people, it's also the reason Cyberpunk was unveiled when it was.
Cyberpunk has no footage, this game does. Everything they reveal is selling a product, and obviously the VGX trailer had no effect on sales and didn't bolster anyone's confidence. Only 56 revisions for them to come to that conclusion.

I'm sure they're telling the truth, it's just an aside to the amount of work that went into presenting it.

tuxfool

Banned
To me it actually sounds quite similar to the ES formula. It sounds nearly as systemic, but you're right that it sounds like it's going to be less potato land.

Alright. I guess I refine and say TES is defined by its systemic (and copypasta?) environment plus some story stuff. W3 is defined by its story stuff and some systemic environment.

erawsd

No idea where this came from. Looks like someone at a preview event snuck a pic.

khn38Sf.jpg

Yeul

No idea where this came from. Looks like someone at a preview event snuck a pic.

khn38Sf.jpg

Geralt looks so good. I guess this is a training thing since it basically is saying "Should we start with the basics or begin sparring?" then the options say "Better to start with the basics" and the second one is "Let's spar." Can't wait to play!

As someone who has only played the first Witcher so far and actually LIKED the semi-open world/more linear areas it featured (not sure how W2 fares in that aspect as i have yet to play it) i am unsure about this third iteration...

I could never get into ES games because of that overwhelming open world aspect and subsequent time commitment that is required but on the other hand i LOVED Witcher's lore, story, characters etc. it's what drove the game for me, so i am conflicted now :(

Geralt looks so good. I guess this is a training thing since it basically is saying "Should we start with the basics or begin sparring?" then the options say "Better to start with the basics" and the second one is "Let's spar." Can't wait to play!

Yep, the fact he is with his mentor and without armor makes me believe is the tutorial part, surely a flashback in their castle.

Yeul

Now I finally know why my GF loves these games and books. Duh!

As a girl I can say this is true lmao though I'm excited to see Iorveth again in these graphics. Everyone is going to be even more attractive. One of my favorite things about games in a series is seeing reoccurring characters and the graphics improve with each iteration. I'm so hype haha. Like looking at Geralt in this pic vs. his Witcher 1 pic is like...damn..

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The detail on that armor is absolutely insane.

Not too surprising, detail on clothes/armor in TW2 was also far beyond everything else when it was released.
In TW2 the texture resolutions for Geralt's body armours were 2k; gloves, boots and most of the weapons were 512. Going by these shots I'd guess that all of these figures have been doubled, even taking the supersampling into account (although I'm a little less certain about 4096 for the main armour). Greater polygonal detail as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I could never get into ES games because of that overwhelming open world aspect and subsequent time commitment that is required but on the other hand i LOVED Witcher's lore, story, characters etc. it's what drove the game for me, so i am conflicted now :(

What excites me about the way The Witcher 3 is being described so far is that it is reminiscent of Morrowind over Oblivion and Skyrim, with the strengths of the last two Witcher games. I mean, if it delivers premise, The Witcher 3 is almost exactly the kind of RPG game I've been lusting for years.

For me the role playing genre by definition is defined by diversity and causality. And a big part of both those tropes are the ideas that go beyond your player, but instead how the world around you is presented, your means of exploration, the struggles, the characters, and the way it changes. One of the biggest flaws of Oblivion and Skyrim that hinder my enjoyment is that the game world itself is heavily streamlined and diluted. Diversity is there, but that diversity panders to whatever state your player character is, or the style you chose to play. There's no sense of a reactive world, or a defined world that exists with or without your presence. What you end up with is essentially a big dull sandbox of stuff where you can aimlessly wander in any direction and do anything and there's no real sense of adventure, challenge, or surprise as the design is too banal and predictable.

On the other hand The Witcher 3's world is apparently designed differently. The absence of scaling means content within the world is designed in such a way that it exists in a unique state. Instead of wandering over random hills, through random forests, and through random caves with no real care for what's going on, these areas will be set with a particular expected player level in challenge. When done right this is a strong method of RPG/open world game design, ironically in the face of TES scaling accessibility, as it helps keep you believably focused and directed through the experience. If that cave is too tough, you know now is not the time to explore it. If that forest is too difficult to explore, you leave it for later. You end up creating a mental checklist of where you can and cannot go due to difficulty, keeping you focused on the important parts of the game relevant at that time, while also exciting and teasing you with cool shit you know you can explore more comfortably later. It's awesome to have that moment of "Okay, I think I'm ready to explore that cave / wander through that forest I discovered five hours ago!".

Ideally this will also tie into the crafting systems in order to obtain the best loot, quests, monster hunting, and more. Free form open world and content scaling is implemented for accessibility reasons, but ironically I feel it dilutes the identity of the world itself. I mean, it even impacts the pacing of crafting. CDPR have said that you'll need to craft the best items, and I figure like TW2 parts of those "best items" can only be acquired through hunting rare, tough monsters. This ties into the lack of scaling; you'll need to work towards being the right strength and level to match said monster, or even get to the area where said monster lurks. If done well, it prevents you from being able to aimlessly, early grind materials early in the game, or cheaply take on a reputedly strong/rare beast when you're a petty low level. It gives you a goal, a sense of progress, which is the opposite of overwhelming and aimless.

Far Cry 3 is a superb example of aimless, dreadfully paced crafting as it does exactly the opposite; allows you to grind an overwhelming majority of upgrades across the board in the very first ~1/3rd of the first of two maps. Unique animals can be faced (and scripted in area/execution) for their crafting drop irrespective of how far you are into the game, what weapons you have, character upgrades, etc. And pose no challenge regardless.

I really feel one of the biggest flaws of modern sandbox games is how they've embraced the unrestricted openness pioneered by Grand Theft Auto while at the same time try to integrate classical role playing elements like level progression, skills, unlocks, loot, and crafting. The two don't match up at all, hence why old RPGs where those elements are rooted are not free form open world sandboxes to do anything at any time.

So yeah. I think "overwhelming" comes from aimlessness of the design itself, where you can literally go anywhere, craft everything, find anything, fight everyone right off the bat with not a lot within the design to give you purpose, development, or structure in your adventure. Even with a massive open world where you can in theory do just the above, proper difficulty balance and a sense of goal setting and progress changes overwhelming aimlessness into true adventuring and role playing.

What excites me about the way The Witcher 3 is being described so far is that it is reminiscent of Morrowind over Oblivion and Skyrim, with the strengths of the last two Witcher games. I mean, if it delivers premise, The Witcher 3 is almost exactly the kind of RPG game I've been lusting for years.

For me the role playing genre by definition is defined by diversity and causality. And a big part of both those tropes are the ideas that go beyond your player, but instead how the world around you is presented, your means of exploration, the struggles, the characters, and the way it changes. One of the biggest flaws of Oblivion and Skyrim that hinder my enjoyment is that the game world itself is heavily streamlined and diluted. Diversity is there, but that diversity panders to whatever state your player character is, or the style you chose to play. There's no sense of a reactive world, or a defined world that exists with or without your presence. What you end up with is essentially a big dull sandbox of stuff where you can aimlessly wander in any direction and do anything and there's no real sense of adventure, challenge, or surprise as the design is too banal and predictable.

On the other hand The Witcher 3's world is apparently designed differently. The absence of scaling means content within the world is designed in such a way that it exists in a unique state. Instead of wandering over random hills, through random forests, and through random caves with no real care for what's going on, these areas will be set with a particular expected player level in challenge. When done right this is a strong method of RPG/open world game design, ironically in the face of TES scaling accessibility, as it helps keep you believably focused and directed through the experience. If that cave is too tough, you know now is not the time to explore it. If that forest is too difficult to explore, you leave it for later. You end up creating a mental checklist of where you can and cannot go due to difficulty, keeping you focused on the important parts of the game relevant at that time, while also exciting and teasing you with cool shit you know you can explore more comfortably later. It's awesome to have that moment of "Okay, I think I'm ready to explore that cave / wander through that forest I discovered five hours ago!".

Ideally this will also tie into the crafting systems in order to obtain the best loot, quests, monster hunting, and more. Free form open world and content scaling is implemented for accessibility reasons, but ironically I feel it dilutes the identity of the world itself. I mean, it even impacts the pacing of crafting. CDPR have said that you'll need to craft the best items, and I figure like TW2 parts of those "best items" can only be acquired through hunting rare, tough monsters. This ties into the lack of scaling; you'll need to work towards being the right strength and level to match said monster, or even get to the area where said monster lurks. If done well, it prevents you from being able to aimlessly, early grind materials early in the game, or cheaply take on a reputedly strong/rare beast when you're a petty low level. It gives you a goal, a sense of progress, which is the opposite of overwhelming and aimless.

Far Cry 3 is a superb example of aimless, dreadfully paced crafting as it does exactly the opposite; allows you to grind an overwhelming majority of upgrades across the board in the very first ~1/3rd of the first of two maps. Unique animals can be faced (and scripted in area/execution) for their crafting drop irrespective of how far you are into the game, what weapons you have, character upgrades, etc. And pose no challenge regardless.

I really feel one of the biggest flaws of modern sandbox games is how they've embraced the unrestricted openness pioneered by Grand Theft Auto while at the same time try to integrate classical role playing elements like level progression, skills, unlocks, loot, and crafting. The two don't match up at all, hence why old RPGs where those elements are rooted are not free form open world sandboxes to do anything at any time.

So yeah. I think "overwhelming" comes from aimlessness of the design itself, where you can literally go anywhere, craft everything, find anything, fight everyone right off the bat with not a lot within the design to give you purpose, development, or structure in your adventure. Even with a massive open world where you can in theory do just the above, proper difficulty balance and a sense of goal setting and progress changes overwhelming aimlessness into true adventuring and role playing.

Exactly, D:OS did the same thing regarding to its open world, and it was one of the best game I've played in the last decade or so.

Denton

You might want to create open world design thread, this should be read by every open world designer and not be buried here.

It does seem like CDP took right lessons to heart. It has been 5 years since last great AAA open world.

Cartoons

Banned
Why didn't you magic it away?

I ask myself that question every day. Turns out if you ask Triss about it before retrieving your equipment, she won't help you. So I thought I was stuck with it since all the guides said talk to Triss. And then at Aedirn I couldn't find the stuff you needed.

That's what I get for blindly chasing Ves boot. It's a permanent reminder of my disgrace.

Tovarisc

What's Geralt's beard-growing all about then? We asked CD Projekt's communications chief, Michał Platkow-Gilewski, for more detail. Here's what he told us:

The beard grows as time passes and when Geralt moves between locations. The beard has several "states" and these states determine its length - the longest is really long but it's not Gandalf-long.

It's worth noting that Geralt's beard growth stops when you apply Witcher 3's free Beard and Hairstyle DLC, as Michał Platkow-Gilewski explains:

When you download the free Beard and Hairstyle DLC the growth of the beard will stop because we decided that when players want a predefined look, it would be weird to require from them to reapply it time after time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-24-geralts-beard-grows-as-you-play-witcher-3

Lunar15

khn38Sf.jpg

He looks so young here. This is definitely the prologue we've seen where Ciri is a child.

I really like the idea of the prologue taking place in the past, with a younger Geralt.

@Eatchildren: You summed up my thoughts nicely. These days, the term "open world" has begun to make me cringe, but I have a lot of hope for this title. I can't deny that them talking about how "big" the world is has made me worried. All of the things they've said so far, however, have been extremely positive. The quest designer bringing up Fallout New Vegas was a really good sign, because I felt that NV was a lot closer to what I want out of an open world game.

The fact that this is a continued story with heavy stakes gives me a lot of hope. The Elder Scrolls games just make you feel like genero-man fighting a generic terror. CDPR has been really story-first with this game.

misho8723

Banned
New Witcher 3 details: Ciri, cities, real-time beard growth

•The game features two really big cities: Novigrad and Oxenfurt, both very lively.
•passages with Ciri are like a linear action-adventure, not like a RPG, plays differently and more action-fueled than Geralt's passages (no inventory, no skill tree, depending on the scene Ciri has certain skills)
•Ciri sequences will be (in total) 5-10h
•Many small details such as Roach stopping to eat apples from a basket
•All equipped items are visible in-game on Geralt
•best items in game must be crafted

•mutagens can be very powerful, like 40% damage enhancer for signs
•fist fighting is without QTEs now, it's just like normal fighting with hard and fast strikes and such

•there are horseraces similar to RDR, biggest focus on stamina management during races, you can even buy better saddles for horseraces

•Geralts beard will grow. You have to go to a barber after a few days
•The HUD is fully customizable. Icons and quest markers on the map can also be deactivated. Audiovisual hints (e.g. people screaming for help) will be present if you wish to do so.
•Fluid gameplay on 1080p with everything on maximum +nvidia hairworks on GTX 980
•game loading time is extremely short on the high-end PC
•Ultra settings are impressive, especially the rich vegetation and character models; there can be scenes where difference between high and ultra won't be that noticeable; lighting is impressive: for instance evening light falling on vast flower fields of a parfum-maker
•there was indeed no slider or adjustment option for the draw distance/LOD
•They encountered very few bugs, no crashes of free

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-witcher-3...-beard-growth/

You're late some days, mate :)

khn38Sf.jpg

Hmmm.. Geralt looks too good in W3.. I still think that Geralt in the first Witcher game is the best representation of the book Geralt
But yeah, I get it.. he needs to look good for the masses and the market

Tovarisc

Hmmm.. Geralt looks too good in W3.. I still think that Geralt in the first Witcher game is the best representation of the book Geralt
But yeah, I get it.. he needs to look good for the masses and the market

In that leaked picture he is younger by quite few years than during Witcher 3's events. When comparing his looks between W1, W2 and W3 to me it looks like he just gets more polygons for better detail while maintaining his "general looks", also he gets older.

New Witcher 3 details: Ciri, cities, real-time beard growth
You cut and pasted a post from the Witcher forums...about an article that cut and pasted its content from the first post of this exact Neogaf thread...which cut and pasted its information from earlier in that exact Witcher forum thread.

misho8723

Banned
In that leaked picture he is younger by quite few years than during Witcher 3's events. When comparing his looks between W1, W2 and W3 to me it looks like he just gets more polygons for better detail while maintaining his "general looks", also he gets older.

Ohh yeah, I forgot that the tutorial part takes in time when they were teaching Ciri in Kaer Morhen..but still, the time between W1 till W3 is in witcher sense almost nothing, since they age very slowly.. and Geralt shouldn't look like some male model or just handsome.. yeah, he didn't had problems with girls, but the main reason was because they were curious about him being witcher.. he didn't look bad or something like that, but he wasn't your typical "prince charming" like he looks in this new screen... he was very charismatic, but that doesn't mean automaticaly good looks.. in W1 he looks pretty much like that - charismatic but not great looking

Denton

You cut and pasted a post from the Witcher forums...about an article that cut and pasted its content from the first post of this exact Neogaf thread...which cut and pasted its information from earlier in that exact Witcher forum thread.
We need to go deeper!

BatSu

I am in 4 different threads at the same time and may have mistaken me.

Sorry for the mistake

From all I've read, I think the closest reference is going to be Fallout New Vegas. In other words, a game with the overall structure of a open world RPG, exploring "points of interest", crafting, freedom of movement etc, but still behind that surface of "Bethesda rpg" it really keeps the core of what made the series great, with handcrafted sidequests, combat without autoleveled enemies, with the strong points of grey morality, with a good narrative in the main story, cool npcs, etc.

Denton

From Russian preview (there was just a preview event in Moscow, similar to january one):

A few quotes:
"Soon Dragon Age: Inquisition will only be remembered as a bad dream, even by those who liked it",
"In the 3+ hours of my playtime I haven't encountered a single shallow "fetch" quest",
"Witcher's engine is very scalable, so we'll see it in its full beauty only in the future, when the hardware catches up, like with the original Crysis".

http://alogvinov.com/2015/03/witsher-3-vedmak-2-v-otkryitom-mire/

From Russian preview (there was just a preview event in Moscow, similar to january one):

A few quotes:
"Soon Dragon Age: Inquisition will only be remembered as a bad dream, even by those who liked it",
"In the 3+ hours of my playtime I haven't encountered a single shallow "fetch" quest",
"Witcher's engine is very scalable, so we'll see it in its full beauty only in the future, when the hardware catches up, like with the original Crysis".

I don't like the manufactured feud with Dragon Age. People that like Dragon Age(like me) will most likely be interested in The Witcher 3 so I'm not sure what people are trying to accomplish with shitting on Inquisition.

Denton

I don't like the manufactured feud with Dragon Age. People that like Dragon Age(like me) will most likely be interested in The Witcher 3 so I'm not sure what people are trying to accomplish with shitting on Inquisition.

Well it's fine that you like it, but we should not ignore the design flaws that Inquisition has and that we all hope Witcher 3 will avoid.

RedSwirl

People keep talking about Morrowind but I've avoided it until now. Maybe I do need to actually check it out...

Anyway, the above is certainly what I think is wrong with today's open-world games, and sadly it's turning a lot of people off to open-world games entirely. You basically have two schools of design here: the traditional RPG world design originating from Ultima or Wasteland or whatever, and then the British-style sandbox originating from Elite and GTA.

Assassin's Creed started out as the sandbox type game but the first one lacked depth and substance, so Ubisoft supplemented that with parts of the RPG design and some collect-a-thons, and has since ported that formula to its other franchises. The result is each game immediately tossing players a checklist of "stuff" to do. Elder Scrolls is a little better about this because it actually let's you discover that "stuff" on your own. You don't see GTA really doing this -- that game is still mainly about randomly messing around in the world and not about collecting things. AC4 Black Flag actually contains a potentially cool Grand Theft Boat feedback loop but ruins it with the checklist world.

Witcher 3 seems to be a very modern interpretation of the traditional singleplayer RPG design.

SaberEdge

A few quotes:

Nice. Sounds excellent.

I think it stems from the fact that The Witcher is trying to do away with fetch quests altogether, which was the main course served in Inquisition. Both games are comparable but have taken very different directions in game design which makes it very interesting for comparisons.

viveks86

khn38Sf.jpg

Is that AO, self shadowing or both? The way the ropes and his pendant cast a shadow on himself makes everything look so cohesive.

And yes, he is hot as hell. #ManCrush

Shredderi

That's a nice looking Geralt right there. Is it may yet? It isn't and usually I'll begin to suffer a little because I want it now but can't have it, but not this time, because bloodborne is here so I'm actually good. How do you like them apples now?

A few quotes:

Scalable engine?
Wow.

Top Bottom