• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 information from Gamestar

martino

From Russian preview (there was just a preview event in Moscow, similar to january one):

A few quotes:
"Soon Dragon Age: Inquisition will only be remembered as a bad dream, even by those who liked it",
"In the 3+ hours of my playtime I haven't encountered a single shallow "fetch" quest",
"Witcher's engine is very scalable, so we'll see it in its full beauty only in the future, when the hardware catches up, like with the original Crysis".

http://alogvinov.com/2015/03/witsher-3-vedmak-2-v-otkryitom-mire/

I'm playing witcher 2 at the moment (all max, with ubersampling on)
Screens there are another level to me (espcially npc)

Seanspeed

Banned
From Russian preview (there was just a preview event in Moscow, similar to january one):

A few quotes:
"Soon Dragon Age: Inquisition will only be remembered as a bad dream, even by those who liked it",
"In the 3+ hours of my playtime I haven't encountered a single shallow "fetch" quest",
"Witcher's engine is very scalable, so we'll see it in its full beauty only in the future, when the hardware catches up, like with the original Crysis".

http://alogvinov.com/2015/03/witsher-3-vedmak-2-v-otkryitom-mire/
Bit of conflicting info there. First we hear that a 980 can handle this game with all the bells and whistles at ~60fps, now this person is comparing it to Crysis? I dunno.

Bit of conflicting info there. First we hear that a 980 can handle this game with all the bells and whistles at ~60fps, now this person is comparing it to Crysis? I dunno.

Could be that they expect pc gaming to make the jump to 4k.
That 60fps was at 1080p right?

Denton

Who knows, maybe there are some demanding features hidden in configuration files, or maybe he means ubersampling or whatever.

Daverid

Conflicting information and weird PR statements has been the running tradition for TW3 the last couple years. I think CDPR employee's sometimes say weird shit (English isn't their first language for many), and then Journalists also fill in certain blanks with whatever they want.

Although to my knowledge, Gamestar's information (Which is the 980 for 60FPS) is supposedly the most recent. The Russians are apparently, if some comments on the forums are correct, playing the same 'ol January build that the other journalists played 2 months ago. Whereas Gamestar went to CDPR not very long ago, and played on the most recent build.
Even then, I highly doubt the Gamestar guy had a FPS counter running the entire time he was playing, so he's probably just "guessing" that it was 60FPS, but he could very well have been wrong.

I've reserved myself to just wait until May 19th, and I'm not believing any journalist statements about the game, at least graphically, until I actually have it playing on my monitor.

erawsd

He probably means something like Ubersampling, which isn't a part of the "ultra" preset. I believe hairworks is also separate but that other previewer did enable it during his 1080/60FPS play through.

In any case, it sounds like Danny O' Dwyer from Gamespot is getting an extended hands on. Next week sometime we'll have some more new shit to pick through.

noshten

I don't like the manufactured feud with Dragon Age. People that like Dragon Age(like me) will most likely be interested in The Witcher 3 so I'm not sure what people are trying to accomplish with shitting on Inquisition.

There is no way to dissassociate the two I think - for some reason Witcher keeps being released quickly behind DA games.

For example I had "finished" DA2 a month before Witcher 2 came out, so the two RPGs became linked in my mind. In a lot of ways W2 was what I expected out of DA2, I was so underwhelmed and disappointed by BioWare by that point that it was super convenient that the W2 came out just at that moment.

Now DA:I has came out around 6 months prior to W3, personally I had no interest in DA:I because of the feedback from the PC Community. There is a lot of divide among people regarding the W3 but right now I'm trusting the Poles to deliver and support this game in the same vain they did with W2.

The thing I'm most hyped about is the information about the quests, the fact that a AAA RPG like DA:I was incapable of actually creating interest questing and pretty much lifted most of their quests directly out of a MMO is one of the reasons I avoided the game.

There is no way to dissassociate the two I think - for some reason Witcher keeps being released quickly behind DA games.
Bioware was a big help in the beginning of CDProjekt. CDProjekt became successful by publishing Baldur's Gate in Poland, and CDProjektRED used their engine for the first Witcher game.

cd-projekt-red-e3-200knsof.jpg

CDProjectRED stand in the 2004 E3 Bioware booth. Bioware was kind enough to give them the space.

noshten

Bioware was a big help in the beginning of CDProjekt. CDProjekt became successful by publishing Baldur's Gate in Poland, and CDProjektRED used their engine for the first Witcher game.

CDProjectRED stand in the 2004 E3 Bioware booth. Bioware was kind enough to give them the space.

Yep back in the day Bioware was made up of a bunch of nice guys too bad very few people who worked in 2004 are still working for them at this time.

Mifec

Nice, thanks for the info guys.

Geralt here looks like Anthony Starr:
banshee-detail.jpg

I don't see it but rofl I just started season 3. Had to comment.

Probably means supersampling and equally intensive stuff like that is what we'll need better gpu's for.

You can tell by looking at this game that it's no Crysis.

There's nothing going on from what I've seen that looks like a leap forward in graphics at all. It just looks good for what it is (a large open world game) with some good art design. Crysis looked like it would be tough to run on any hardware at the time. Withcer 3 does not.

Kezen

Banned
Who knows, maybe there are some demanding features hidden in configuration files, or maybe he means ubersampling or whatever.

I think ubersampling was confirmed for The Witcher 3 so that will certainly require future hardware (or multiple GPUs).

Mifec

Ubersampling was a dumb name anyway. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 980 to run the game at 60fps, ultra settings with SSAA.

Aye I agree wholeheartedly. I wonder what I'll have to sacrifice to get it to 60 @1440p with a 780ti. I don't see the need for new components before skylake, whatever Nvidia brings out after AMD this/next year.

JoduanER2

This game is going to save me from my gaming drought. Also I need a new PC, to first play homeworld remastered properly of course.

misho8723

Banned
Again people... the Russian guy played the January build which was unoptimazited, with bugs and crashes

The German guy who stated that the 980 can play the game just fine in 1080, played the newer version

And supersampling (ubersampling) isn't going to be in W3 at launch

JoduanER2

What excites me about the way The Witcher 3 is being described so far is that it is reminiscent of Morrowind over Oblivion and Skyrim, with the strengths of the last two Witcher games. I mean, if it delivers premise, The Witcher 3 is almost exactly the kind of RPG game I've been lusting for years.

For me the role playing genre by definition is defined by diversity and causality. And a big part of both those tropes are the ideas that go beyond your player, but instead how the world around you is presented, your means of exploration, the struggles, the characters, and the way it changes. One of the biggest flaws of Oblivion and Skyrim that hinder my enjoyment is that the game world itself is heavily streamlined and diluted. Diversity is there, but that diversity panders to whatever state your player character is, or the style you chose to play. There's no sense of a reactive world, or a defined world that exists with or without your presence. What you end up with is essentially a big dull sandbox of stuff where you can aimlessly wander in any direction and do anything and there's no real sense of adventure, challenge, or surprise as the design is too banal and predictable.

On the other hand The Witcher 3's world is apparently designed differently. The absence of scaling means content within the world is designed in such a way that it exists in a unique state. Instead of wandering over random hills, through random forests, and through random caves with no real care for what's going on, these areas will be set with a particular expected player level in challenge. When done right this is a strong method of RPG/open world game design, ironically in the face of TES scaling accessibility, as it helps keep you believably focused and directed through the experience. If that cave is too tough, you know now is not the time to explore it. If that forest is too difficult to explore, you leave it for later. You end up creating a mental checklist of where you can and cannot go due to difficulty, keeping you focused on the important parts of the game relevant at that time, while also exciting and teasing you with cool shit you know you can explore more comfortably later. It's awesome to have that moment of "Okay, I think I'm ready to explore that cave / wander through that forest I discovered five hours ago!".

Ideally this will also tie into the crafting systems in order to obtain the best loot, quests, monster hunting, and more. Free form open world and content scaling is implemented for accessibility reasons, but ironically I feel it dilutes the identity of the world itself. I mean, it even impacts the pacing of crafting. CDPR have said that you'll need to craft the best items, and I figure like TW2 parts of those "best items" can only be acquired through hunting rare, tough monsters. This ties into the lack of scaling; you'll need to work towards being the right strength and level to match said monster, or even get to the area where said monster lurks. If done well, it prevents you from being able to aimlessly, early grind materials early in the game, or cheaply take on a reputedly strong/rare beast when you're a petty low level. It gives you a goal, a sense of progress, which is the opposite of overwhelming and aimless.

Far Cry 3 is a superb example of aimless, dreadfully paced crafting as it does exactly the opposite; allows you to grind an overwhelming majority of upgrades across the board in the very first ~1/3rd of the first of two maps. Unique animals can be faced (and scripted in area/execution) for their crafting drop irrespective of how far you are into the game, what weapons you have, character upgrades, etc. And pose no challenge regardless.

I really feel one of the biggest flaws of modern sandbox games is how they've embraced the unrestricted openness pioneered by Grand Theft Auto while at the same time try to integrate classical role playing elements like level progression, skills, unlocks, loot, and crafting. The two don't match up at all, hence why old RPGs where those elements are rooted are not free form open world sandboxes to do anything at any time.

So yeah. I think "overwhelming" comes from aimlessness of the design itself, where you can literally go anywhere, craft everything, find anything, fight everyone right off the bat with not a lot within the design to give you purpose, development, or structure in your adventure. Even with a massive open world where you can in theory do just the above, proper difficulty balance and a sense of goal setting and progress changes overwhelming aimlessness into true adventuring and role playing.

Well said. if everything I have read and seen is true we are about to experience a truly memorable RPG, one for the ages. Scalability in RPGs is the poison we dont need, the world needs to exist separated from you, not to be ruled by your progression.

Ubersampling was a dumb name anyway. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 980 to run the game at 60fps, ultra settings with SSAA.

Hell, I've got an i7 4790K and a GTX 980 and I can't even run The Witcher 2 maxed out @1080P with SSAA on at a constant 60FPS.

theofficefan99

Have multiple endings been confirmed or is there one canon ending? And I know there's branching paths and therefore obviously there'll be endings that are at least slightly different, but I'm wondering if it's the same with alterations based on your choices, or if they'll be radically different.

Philippo

Have multiple endings been confirmed or is there one canon ending? And I know there's branching paths and therefore obviously there'll be endings that are at least slightly different, but I'm wondering if it's the same with alterations based on your choices, or if they'll be radically different.

3 endings, 36 something world states.

roytheone

3 endings, 36 something world states.

It will be interesting to see how much impact your choices in the witcher 2 will impact the world. Those choices alone could account for the 36 world states, so I guess they won't impact that much of the world, because that would leave little room for your choices in witcher 3 to have influence

It will be interesting to see how much impact your choices in the witcher 2 will impact the world. Those choices alone could account for the 36 world states, so I guess they won't impact that much of the world, because that would leave little room for your choices in witcher 3 to have influence
They get around that by having Witcher 3 not take place in any areas you influenced in Witcher 2.

Complistic

I wonder why. It has to be easy to implement. In the meantime, people can just downsample from 4K. It's basically the same thing with a very similar performance impact.

Probably to avoid people turning that setting on who don't actually know what it is and then immediately going straight to their forums asking why their computer is a giant steaming pile of slag, like what happened last time.

Probably to avoid people turning that setting on who don't actually know what it is and then immediately going straight to their forums asking why their computer is a giant steaming pile of slag, like what happened last time.

Yeah, I remember those early days of Witcher 2.

varkuriru

Has there been any new info about the battle system involving attacking the monsters vital spots? I think in the initial reveal the devs or media mentioned a system similar to VATs. However, I don't think this has been mentioned in the newer details or gameplay footage.

erawsd

Has there been any new info about the battle system involving attacking the monsters vital spots? I think in the initial reveal the devs or media mentioned a system similar to VATs. However, I don't think this has been mentioned in the newer details or gameplay footage.

They ditched that "VATs"-like stuff early in development. I think it was something about it not flowing well with the more fast paced combat.

RedSwirl

I'm still conflicted on how to pre-order this game. I want to get the deal since I own both prior Witcher games (on both GOG and Steam), but I'm afraid of having to download 40 gigs. I wish there was a way you could get the deal with a physical copy. Like, if you could link your GOG account to thewitcher.com and have CDP ship you a box for the discount price.

Yep back in the day Bioware was made up of a bunch of nice guys too bad very few people who worked in 2004 are still working for them at this time.

g1ZBeQE.jpg

I'm still conflicted on how to pre-order this game. I want to get the deal since I own both prior Witcher games (on both GOG and Steam), but I'm afraid of having to download 40 gigs. I wish there was a way you could get the deal with a physical copy. Like, if you could link your GOG account to thewitcher.com and have CDP ship you a box for the discount price.

g1ZBeQE.jpg

Who's Bethesda in this comparison? Han?

Top Bottom