• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New XCOM 2 previews/hands-ons

Also, the new slums environments they're showing off on the official site look awesome:

https://downloads.2kgames.com/xcom2/blog_images/SLM_MD_Restaurant.jpg
https://downloads.2kgames.com/xcom2/blog_images/slums_3.jpg
https://downloads.2kgames.com/xcom2/blog_images/SLM_LG_RowHomes.jpg
https://downloads.2kgames.com/xcom2/blog_images/slums_16.jpg

"Improved destruction" is actually one of the few things I'm worried about. One of my favorite adjustments in Long War is the more sensible durability of the environment. In vanilla, it's far too easy for you to get exposed and murdered because one wayward plasma pistol shot took out your cover.

If I start losing soldiers left and right because buildings just dissolve left and right like sugar in rain, it's gonna be annoying.

Long War went waaaaay too far with it, IMO. Basically removed cover destruction as a factor in a lot of cases.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The only criticism I have of XCOM 2 is that it almost looks too good.

Yeah, I don't know how I'll enjoy videogames this month while waiting for this to launch.

Pretty ballsy by firaxis to let someone stream their game a month before release though.

Sober

Yeah, I don't know how I'll enjoy videogames this month while waiting for this to launch.

Pretty ballsy by firaxis to let someone stream their game a month before release though.
Man that is some confidence in their systems; I don't think everyone will agree to all the numbers but that's what simple mods will be for.

they did the same with the Enemy Unknown, and Jake was everywhere streaming and showing off the game.

Mupod

they did the same with the Enemy Unknown, and Jake was everywhere streaming and showing off the game.

he's so enthusiastic and fun to listen to. I watched *every* piece of pre-release footage I could find of the previous game. Told myself I wouldn't do it again...and I'm doing it again.

Long War went waaaaay too far with it, IMO. Basically removed cover destruction as a factor in a lot of cases.
Well, they gave you specific cover destruction tools that made your interactions with the environment much more predictable.

The combination of unpredictable cover destruction and the lethality of standing in the open can lead to some pretty punishing RNG bullshit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I think the new class training (requiring time in a specific lab on the ship) is actually a really cool risk vs reward compared to last game's one-time option.

Well, they gave you specific cover destruction tools that made your interactions with the environment much more predictable.

The combination of unpredictable cover destruction and the lethality of standing in the open can lead to some pretty punishing RNG bullshit.

See, even the specific tools like HE grenades often failed to get the job done. Only piece of consistent cover destruction you're likely to get in the first couple of months are rockets. Went too far.

Having it be all or nothing (with either wholly destroyed or wholly intact) was a problem, though. If Plasma pistols could, say, damage but not destroy a piece of cover in one shot, it'd solve a lot of the problems.

And now we get to see how XCOM 2 handles it. Stream time, y'all!

So are mecs not in the base game at all then or what? Hoping that they could be the 6th dlc class or just an addition to existing classes. On one hand, they were pretty OP in EW, on the other hand there's nothing quite like mech-punching an alien in the face.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So are mecs not in the base game at all then or what? Hoping that they could be the 6th dlc class or just an addition to existing classes. On one hand, they were pretty OP in EW, on the other hand there's nothing quite like mech-punching an alien in the face.

I'd be guessing the Shen's gift DLC is the equivalent to mechs, yeah.

is McCann doing the score again?

very first thing I thought when I opened up that IGN video was wow, that reminds me his work on Deus Ex HR and specifically the city (streets) tracks

is McCann doing the score again?

very first thing I thought when I opened up that IGN video was wow, that reminds me his work on Deus Ex HR and specifically the city (streets) tracks
Yeah I found his HR and Xcom 2012 soundtracks very, very similar. Not complaining though, loved em both.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
My only anticipated game. So excited.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. On one hand I liked having infinite time to slow play a map when needed, but on the other I appreciate the push to make the player less cautious which can be more exciting overall. Storywise it makes sense I suppose since the aliens are in control and can send lots of reinforcements if the rebels are not in and out on a mission.

Good point.
I honestly have a tendency to kind of cheese and sit still waiting ages for random aliens to pop their head out so it'll probably make me play in a way that's more interesting.

My only anticipated game. So excited.

Good point.
I honestly have a tendency to kind of cheese and sit still waiting ages for random aliens to pop their head out so it'll probably make me play in a way that's more interesting.

That's what I liked about MELD in EW, it made me actually push more instead of turtling and spamming overwatch all the time.

Sblargh

Banned
Hey, Firaxis, give me a standalone character customization thingie so I can spend my month creating elaborate backstories to the weird people who will fight against the benevolent alien overlords.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I never felt like that. Long War felt very fair with cover destruction. Especially with engineers and collateral damage.

UGH this looks SO GOOD. Watching this beagle stream and the hype is giving me heart palpitations. I don't know if I'll be able to take the wait.

With the possible exception of Persona 5, this is far and away the game I'm most excited for this year. However, it just occurred to me that this isn't going to have controller support at launch which is a big bummer for me given how well I felt it played on consoles with a controller. I just really don't play games in front of my monitor, and I hate having a mouse and keyboard on my coffee table or lap.

I guess I'll have to hope for some good Steam controller configs going up early.

epmode

Has Firaxis talked about releasing an official Steam Controller config? I'm pretty sure they've already done it with Civ 5.

Mupod

The way it doesn't only reserve the cinematic camera for kills anymore...is extremely nerve wracking to watch. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually.

Top Bottom