• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New XCOM 2 previews/hands-ons

Tacitus_

I think my PC will actually be able to run this, pretty hyped about that.

Everyone who has had a gaming PC this decade should be able to play it

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 2.6 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 45 GB available space
RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 3GHz Quad Core
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better
Storage: 45 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

Sblargh

Banned
Man, Beagle was playing on legendary difficulty + he already modded the ini to make it harder.

People is too good at this game. Stop making me inadequate all you people! Suck more!

epmode

They got adding timers to more missions by listening to the community? o_O

I dunno but it's clear that they're familiar with the overwatch exploits that were so useful in the reboot. I'll have to see how it plays but I like it conceptually.

The RPS preview does a good job explaining how the game likes to take you out of your comfort zone.

Everything is rooted in the difficulty level. Playing on the normal setting, I’ve found the game far more difficult than XCOM: Enemy Within on veteran. In that game, I’d fallen into the habit of considering a mission a failure if I didn’t return with a full complement of operatives. In XCOM 2, I’ve whooped with delight when a single soldier manages to limp back to the extraction zone (and they really do limp, stagger and slump on the mission debrief screens, as well as suffering from the long-term psychological effects of the war).

At first, I thought the game might be too difficult, with spikes that seemed to require grinding for resources to overcome, but I’m becoming convinced that I was thinking about my approach all wrong. If an objective calls for the destruction of a specific object or facility on the map, it’s sometimes necessary to use two squad members as a decoy, drawing aliens away from the target, while others get the job done. Those decoys are expendable.

Dying for the cause is often the only way to advance the cause and, hideously, I find myself totting up the resource costs to replace sacrificed soldiers against the benefits of a successful mission that requires their sacrifice. The future of humanity is at stake, after all.

I’ve found myself ordering soldiers to flee across city blocks in an attempt to get back to the evac zone while a sniper stays in place on a rooftop trying to take down pursuing enemies, knowing that she’s cut off from escape. The existence of objectives that encourage extreme risk-taking and that require the maintenance of a safe route back to the evac zone creates unfamiliar situations and outcomes.

deoee

Game looks great. Tempted to get a key somewhere or pre order :eek:

Is the story connected to XCOM (meaning, do I have to have finished the story to understand XCOM2?)

n0n44m

this beaglerush stream is great as ever (the bugs introduced by his ini editing are great as well lol)

game seems to be massively improved in the right places; everything turned up to 11 with less "boring" slow phases yet still having plenty of moments in which you'll need to take difficult decisions. In other words, better streamlining of the players' time without making concessions to the depth/strategy aspects

preordered the deluxe version :)

TheBear

What's up with controller support? Has the game changed so drastically that it doesn't make sense to use a controller or are the devs just being lazy?

Did I mishear or did Total Biscuit say that every game starts in the same place? Bit of a bummer if true.

Might just be down to the preview build being a preview build, I suppose.

Is the story connected to XCOM (meaning, do I have to have finished the story to understand XCOM2?)

Finished? No.

If you started and got your ass handed to you, you'll be basically caught up.

Bregor

What's up with controller support? Has the game changed so drastically that it doesn't make sense to use a controller or are the devs just being lazy?

From what I've seen the UI has more, smaller buttons and more extensive use of tool tips - making mouse / keyboard ideal. The changes appear to me to be a matter of degrees, so I can't say that controller use would have been impractical, but it definitely would be less ideal than XCom: EU. Given the prevalence of M/K, the absence of a console port, and the small team size, it's unsurprising that they haven't prioritized it.

FiraB

Banned
Man so glad I preorder, this is looking amazing and that stream with bee getting destroyed is making me smile, guys a legend.

Did I mishear or did Total Biscuit say that every game starts in the same place? Bit of a bummer if true.

Might just be down to the preview build being a preview build, I suppose.

Finished? No.

If you started and got your ass handed to you, you'll be basically caught up.

Not true if you mean same place on the geoscape. Beaglerush's first campaign on stream started in East Africa, now he's in Mexico on his current campaign.

Not true if you mean same place on the geoscape. Beaglerush's first campaign on stream started in East Africa, now he's in Mexico on his current campaign.

Oh, excellent. I saw Biscuit started in Eastern Europe (or Western Asia, idk), and that somebody else I checked started there, and I misheard the thing, I guess. Good to know!

Building my first Gaming PC for this.
I have a slow ass iMac

I'm taking a long, hard look at my financials to figure out if I can squeeze in a laptop upgrade before this comes out. Current rig is a GT750M, which... well, it clears the minimum requirements, if only just.

Building my first Gaming PC for this.
I have a slow ass iMac

Got a new video card just for this game, as otherwise my PC could handle the game fine. Just my video card wasn't up to snuff. First time I'm ever going to take apart a PC, with the help of my roommate.

Worth it for XCOM.

Remmy2112

You do not. From what I understand in XCOM 2's story
XCOM only managed to shoot down two UFOs and barely scratch the surface of alien tech before one of the Council of Nations or someone sold them out. Every XCOM facility was hit and 99% of its people were killed, captured, or scattered.

fvng

Not really. It would move to a separate game screen where you choose things like defense, stronger weapons, etc. in real time based on how you upgraded your fighters. Battles usually lasted 10-15 seconds at most though.

Would have loved dog fights in xcom

Honestly surprised at the amount of new stuff they've added. I can kinda see why they decided to just go PC for now. That map screen looks insane. There's so much more shit going on now.

Ugh, guess I should just pre-order already.

They got adding timers to more missions by listening to the community? o_O

i would probably like this game more if every mission had a timer

the original game (edit: i mean firaxis's 1st game, not the original 90s one) was broken because of overwatch + camping. meld fixed almost nothing because you could just grab it (or not) and then finish the rest of the map with overwatch + camping

i suspect this one will also be similarly broken unless they add some time pressure

Anyone else been in the mood for XCOM because of MGS V?

Not sure why but something about Mother Base and Diamond Dogs makes me want to play XCOM so much.

//edit// Actually, I just had an idea... I need to make an XCOM game based on my Diamond Dogs.

Laughing Wallaby enters Overwatch!

Silent Mastodon, Jackal, and Komodo Dragon to the rescue.

Pikelet

I feel like this is the only game that can put a stopper on my crippling Invisible Inc addiction. Everything they have shown so far looks great.

I liked sitting back and playing Enemy Unknown with a controller, so no controller support for XCOM 2 is a little disappointing. I'll probably use the Steam controller as an alternative. Besides that, everything else looks/sounds amazing and I've already preordered, so I'm super hyped for the game!

if you just need to emulate a mouse, a remapped controller should work fine for this kind of game

taking an extra second to make precise moves/selections isn't a big deal at all in a turn-based game

Everyone who has had a gaming PC this decade should be able to play it

I bought this laptop for school earlier this year. All I needed/wanted it to run was XCOM 2. Knew it wasn't a powerhouse by any means, but hoped the dedicated Nvidia GPU would give me a good shot.

According to official system specs, I'm good on everything except GPU :(

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Haven't read the previews yet but is this not coming on console? The first one was fun with a crazy twist at the end:
Turns out that your character was being controlled by an alien and that's kind of why you see him in third person

Adnor

Banned
Haven't read the previews yet but is this not coming on console? The first one was fun with a crazy twist at the end:
Turns out that your character was being controlled by an alien and that's kind of why you see him in third person

This is not the sequel for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, but for XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's a Turn Based Strategy game, not a Third Person Shooter.

Oublieux

I desperately want to know if modding is available in multiplayer, specifically. On top of the single player campaign in EU/EW, my friends and I spent a huge chunk of time in the multi-player. The downside was that maps became stale and the point system balance wasn't perfect. The latter, in particular, caused a set type of builds to be popularized and somewhat OP. Modding being available in multiplayer would allow for point adjustments and even unit stat adjustments.

I'm grabbing this game regardless, but I am hoping modding crosses over to this aspect as well. There are tons of quotes regarding modding but not whether or not it's limited to single player.

vakarian32

I finally got around to playing XCOM Enemy Unknown last week, never got into these games in the past and it was sitting in my backlog since 2013.. I know shameful, anyway I finished the campaign (with expansion) just last night, freaking loved it. I am now a huge fan and pre-ordered XCOM 2 from GMG last night, can't wait! Watching some of those videos now, thanks OP.

Sblargh

Banned
I finally got around to playing XCOM Enemy Unknown last week, never got into these games in the past and it was sitting in my backlog since 2013.. I know shameful, anyway I finished the campaign (with expansion) just last night, freaking loved it. I am now a huge fan and pre-ordered XCOM 2 from GMG last night, can't wait! Watching some of those videos now, thanks OP.

You finished the campaign? Oh man, you did not got the canon ending for XCOM 2!
Now go back there and lose!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I was a huge fan of the original XCOM (even rather enjoyed Interceptor), and I have owned XCOM EU for seemingly forever, but never tried it out for whatever reason.

Even though I am in the middle of several games right now, against my better judgment, this thread caused me to boot this up.

Holy hell, its got it's hooks in again. They really nailed the classic XCOM feel. Really impressed thus far.

That said I have just now arrived at my first "terror attack" by the aliens. I did pretty well the first go around, but my favorite soldier died, so I loaded a previous save. Now I can't for the life of me get troops prepared for the terror attack. But I am worried if I don't attempt the mission I will lose support from the counsel. Now going into the terror attack I have all rook soldiers (my good ones are mending their wounds.). All I have as far as gear is a few Nano Weave suits and some medpacs.

Any tips?

I'm not sure if its a good idea I play this. This might take too much time. The first one.. It consumed me. I stopped being a person. I was sucked into the ethernal plane. I almost lost myself. Surely my life will be ruined if I engage in this.

When you lose a squad member in XCOM, it is not like other games. In other games your men return to you. In this one.. I lost my guys on a mission after 20 hours of gameplay. They were litteraly a part of my family and then they died. All of them. In one stupid PIECE OF SHIT MISSION.

WHY DIDNT THEY SEND BACKUP? THEY LEFT US THERE TO DIE. Only the medic returned with one health. :(

Sblargh

Banned
So I was a huge fan of the original XCOM (even rather enjoyed Interceptor), and I have owned XCOM EU for seemingly forever, but never tried it out for whatever reason.

Even though I am in the middle of several games right now, against my better judgment, this thread caused me to boot this up.

Holy hell, its got it's hooks in again. They really nailed the classic XCOM feel. Really impressed thus far.

That said I have just now arrived at my first "terror attack" by the aliens. I did pretty well the first go around, but my favorite soldier died, so I loaded a previous save. Now I can't for the life of me get troops prepared for the terror attack. But I am worried if I don't attempt the mission I will lose support from the counsel. Now going into the terror attack I have all rook soldiers (my good ones are mending their wounds.). All I have as far as gear is a few Nano Weave suits and some medpacs.

Any tips?

Terror missions are a notorious difficulty spike. If all you got are rookies, then the tip is to not have all rookies, lol.

Don't get overly eager to save civilians, as matter of fact, I feel like it is best to ignore them, you don't need to save them during the mission for them to be rescued, they just need to be alive after you kill every alien.
At the same time, it is probably the mission where you worry less about cover (because crysalids will melee you anyway), so try to have everyone advance in a pack and end every turn on an overwatch.

A surviving crysalid can start a spiral of failure if you let them kill a single soldier, because then that soldier will turn into a zombie, which are not that easy to kill. So spare nothing dealing with them; forget those medkits and nano weave suits (just for this mission) and replace them with grenades. Rocket are the ideal thing here, but since you don't have them, those rookies will have to chug grenades to those crysalids as if... well, their lives do depend on it I guess.

So, in short, move in a tight pack, but don't rush, end turns on overwatch, civilians will die, you won't get a perfect score, but you don't have a perfect composition either.
It's not that crysalids are weak against grenades, but they do tend to move in a pack, so AoE attacks are essential; grenades are your only AoE attack right now, so use them. Killing them is a priority.

And if any of your soldier's die, don't worry, they're not part of your family, they are parte of Walrus' family, so they're expendable.

samar11

I like the title of the article on gamespot Is '' XCOM 2 as Difficult as its Predecessor?''
doesn't matter I am going to cheat anyway lolol

Top Bottom