• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer

Alienous

C4INOGxWQAEx1gW.jpg

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/829239820375490561

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 confirmed?

Cloukyo

Banned
what has it being 2017 to do with offering character choice?

Main rhetoric in this post is that all main characters should be a choice between a man and woman because sexism otherwise, and Nintendo is clearly misogynist and doesn't understand that women can be strong and independent characters

*pushes Samus away to the side discretely*

Probably time to ignore all the "Link should be a girl" and "why is Zelda not the main character?" posts

Kthulhu

This hurts even worse. Goddamnit Nintendo! It's 2017! Why not offer a character choice? T_T And goddamn the artstyle in this game is drop dead gorgeous. Just incredible.

There are a ton of games Nintendo makes where you can choose your gender or are forced to play as a woman.

Cloukyo

Banned
Except Ciri still fights, gets involved, and demonstrates her skills. Tetra had no qualms raiding the Forsaken Fortress to save the missing girls and Link himself. Then she puts on a dress and says "You go, I'm going to hide here."

You sure that's what happens?

windwakerfinalbattle-destructoid-620x.jpg

Maybe you don't remember the game. Or perhaps you're assuming that just because she's wearing a dress that automatically makes her less assertive, regardless of her words and actions.

There are a ton of games Nintendo makes where you can choose your gender or are forced to play as a woman.

The cover character for their biggest game (splatoon) is a girl, as is the default character in story mode. Some people will just nitpick at everything.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You sure that's what happens?

windwakerfinalbattle-destructoid-620x.jpg

After she's spent half the game hiding in the basement for no real reason, only to get captured anyway.

The character they present in the first half wouldn't sit this one out. However the second she's called Zelda... "You go, I'll stay here and accomplish nothing." Until the ending of course. And the ending of Wind Waker is great. Doesn't mean Tetra isn't completely fucking wasted at the game's halfway point.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Main rhetoric in this post is that all main characters should be a choice between a man and woman because sexism otherwise, and Nintendo is clearly misogynist and doesn't understand that women can be strong and independent characters

RE7 will be my GOTY, and the main character is a man. It's got nothing to do with misogyny. It's just that in this particular case, they designed Zelda to look almost exactly like Link. They have her holding the Master Sword in an artwork for the game. There's been copious rumors about a female protogonist for this particular Zelda game. And yet it's not happening, and I've yet to hear a valid reason for it to be (IMO!). And no, to me "It's their story" doesn't cut it. I really don't mean to be abrasive about this. I just legitimately don't get it. Link is about as empty and soulless as you can get for a main character. Everything he ever was, has nothing to do with his gender.

I really think that it's time for the series to have more varied heroes. And if you disagree, that's fine too. It's just how I feel. ALTTP is one of my top 10 games of all time, and Link being a boy, doesn't change that at all. Nothing would change if he was a girl in there. So why not? If Nintendo want to hit the big notes, of the open world RPGs...why not offer the choice that most of these games do? Personally I just don't get it. Again it's personally. I won't argue. Nintendo has made it clear. Link is a male hero, and they expressed the feeling that Zelda has to be a damsel in distress, for him. I just personally don't agree with that. I think that it's time the franchise became more, at least I think so. At worst, I think it'd be fine for a girl, to rescue the girl.

And if you don't agree, well that's fine. And honestly you ARE winning this argument. The game is proof! But...as a longtime Zelda fan...I'm still going to be disappointed in the lack of choice. Link was never a character in my eyes. It was always a template. And I won't be convinced otherwise lol. Again as a Zelda fan, I don't think that this discussion is useless. But I could be wrong. If people really don't want to talk about female protoganists in Zelda, I'll just shut the fuck up lol. But the rumors were there!

Cloukyo

Banned
After she's spent half the game hiding in the basement for no real reason, only to get captured anyway.

The character they present in the first half wouldn't sit this one out. However the second she's called Zelda... "You go, I'll stay here and accomplish nothing." Until the ending of course. And the ending of Wind Waker is great. Doesn't mean Tetra isn't completely fucking wasted at the game's halfway point.

So now you're just making stuff up. She stays in the castle before the final act and the final boss, not half the game. I don't know what you wanted from her, but she's not the main character, it's still Link's quest to save his sister, and then hyrule.

Regarding her getting captured. Well boo hoo, in the end she's just a normal girl, she doesn't even have her light arrows at that point, it's no surprise she couldn't stand up against Ganon, did you expect her to? Once she gets her light arrows and link gets the master sword, they both wreck Ganon. Why focus on the one moment when she was at her weakest, rather than all the cool moments she was given in the game?

RE7 will be my GOTY, and the main character is a man. It's got nothing to do with misogyny. It's just that in this particular case, they designed Zelda to look almost exactly like Link. They have her holding the Master Sword in an artwork for the game. There's been copious rumors about a female protogonist for this particular Zelda game. And yet it's not happening, and I've yet to hear a valid reason for it to be (IMO!). And no, to me "It's their story" doesn't cut it. I really don't mean to be abrasive about this. I just legitimately don't get it. Link is about as empty and soulless as you can get for a main character. Everything he ever was, has nothing to do with his gender.

I really think that it's time for the series to have more varied heroes. And if you disagree, that's fine too. It's just how I feel. ALTTP is one of my top 10 games of all time, and Link being a boy, doesn't change that at all. Nothing would change if he was a girl in there. So why not? If Nintendo want to hit the big notes, of the open world RPGs...why not offer the choice that most of these games do? Personally I just don't get it. Again it's personally. I won't argue. Nintendo has made it clear. Link is a male hero, and they expressed the feeling that Zelda has to be a damsel in distress, for him. I just personally don't agree with that. I think that it's time the franchise became more, at least I think so. At worst, I think it'd be fine for a girl, to rescue the girl.

And if you don't agree, well that's fine. And honestly you ARE winning this argument. The game is proof! But...as a longtime Zelda fan...I'm still going to be disappointed in the lack of choice. Link was never a character in my eyes. It was always a template. And I won't be convinced otherwise lol. Again as a Zelda fan, I don't think that this discussion is useless. But I could be wrong. If people really don't want to talk about female protoganists in Zelda, I'll just shut the fuck up lol. But the rumors were there!

There were no rumours, it was just people speculating, because he looked so damn girly in the first trailer. It was just people speculating

The part of it being in the story DOES cut it. In the mythos the Goddess Hylia fell in love with the legendary hero, so she made herself mortal and cast a spell so that she and the hero would be reincarnated through time. This mythos means that Zelda will have to be a girl, and Link HAS to be a boy. It's just the way the story is structured.

I could almost understand making Zelda playable, in a separate game. But changing Link into a girl doesn't fit the plot. Hell, you yourself said that Link is a nothing character, isn't it better to have the female representative in the game to be someone like Zelda, rather than the empty husk that is Link?

I've also said plenty of times that Zelda is much more than a damsel in distress. Hell in many games Zelda isn't the main focus of who Link is trying to save. It's hyrule in general, or in the case of Wind Waker, it's his sister.

Like we've said in earlier posts. Zelda is without a doubt the main character in this series. You play as Link, but Zelda is the one who adds texture to the story, the plot revolves around her impact on the world and her personality is always very distinct. She's much more than a damsel in distress.

martino

I

holding master is not an argument because :
LinkandZeldaWW.png

she is also an adventurer most of the game.

they choose to go the other route. it began with official timeline but with this game, link is now sure to be a fully developped character.
I don't see nitendo go the way you want after it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
she is also an adventurer most of the game.

I'll disagree with you on that. Tetra is the very definition of a damsel IMO. She's presented as a pirate, but in truth she's a princess waiting to be kidnapped. Partially joining the fight at the very end, doesn't cut it. At least in my opinion.
Again, this is all in my opinion. What I'm saying is, it's time for the franchise to have an actual female hero. One that carries the entire game. Not partially takes part in a segment. And if you disagree... Well shit, that's fine too. That's what discussion is all about!

LotusHD

Banned

All I know is, screw character choice as far as this series is concerned. If they want to give us a playable female character, they need to not half-ass and go all out. Either a female Link, Zelda,
or Linkle.
That way you don't have to hear dumb stuff like the female character in question not being canon, or whatever.

EDIT: Oh, it also needs to be undoubtedly a mainline entry, not a spin-off.

Cloukyo

Banned
I'll disagree with you on that. Tetra is the very definition of a damsel IMO. She's presented as a pirate, but in truth she's a princess waiting to be kidnapped. Partially joining the fight at the very end, doesn't cut it. At least in my opinion.
Again, this is all in my opinion. What I'm saying is, it's time for the franchise to have an actual female hero. One that carries the entire game. Not partially takes part in a segment. And if you disagree... Well shit, that's fine too. That's what discussion is all about!

I think you just want Zelda as a Mary Sue.

All I know is, screw character choice as far as this series is concerned. If they want to give us a playable female character, they need to not half-ass and go all out. Either a female Link, Zelda,
or Linkle.
That way you don't have to hear dumb stuff like the female character in question not being canon, or whatever.

A Linkle game I'd love!

No sir. It was a legit rumor.

In the same article it mentions that Nintendo debunked this...

martino

strange interpretation of times when link encouters her.
Always in dangerous areas/situations...yet she was wainting to be kidpaned.

Chaos17

Yet, I don't think we should go over board and make a drama about this while it was debated many times before. It's like putting salt/oil for the sake of argument. Like yesterday when we had a debate why Zelda could not be pregnant ? Just based on a picture just showing the top of her dress...

Voicing an opinion is okay but trying to persuade others that X stuff should be a reality because you think it should, is silly. It's like saying "why not all indies don't look as good as "Ori blind forest" ? We're in 2017 for god sake we've tons of tools now to make that happen". (yes, that's totaly silly and there're ton of reasons of why they can't but it's same here. Nintendo had their reason, we should respect them same as we respect inde devs choices).

And not this post isn't just toward you but toward all other people who're coming here rubbing salt that we're avoiding to talk about the content of the game itself and focus more on "why this game isn't like I wanted ?".

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think you just want Zelda as a Mary Sue.

I'm not sure how wanting Zelda to be a protagonist is wanting her to be a Mary Sue. Can you extrapolate, based on my posts? I don't get you there.

Yet, I don't think we should go over board and make a drama about this while it was debate many times before. It's like putting salt/oil for the sake of argument. Like yesterday when we had a deabte why Zelda could not be pregnant ? Just based on a picture just showing the top of her dress...

Voicing an opinion is okay but trying to persuade others that there should be a reality because we're in 2017 is silly. It's like saying "why not all indies don't look as good as "Ori blind forest" ? We're in 2017 for god sake we've tons of tools now to make that happen".

And not this post isn't just toward you but toward all other people who're coming here rubbing salt that we're avoiding to talk about the content of the game intself and focus more on "why this game isn't like I wanted ?".

You know what? You are right. Game isn't for me, and honestly...that's ok. So let's stop this. In any case the game looks phenomenal. Enjoy it people.

gweemz

We're still on the gender thing? I don't understand why Zelda is being picked on for not allowing you to choose gender. Almost all games that have a named protagonist don't allow you to choose.

LotusHD

Banned
We're still on the gender thing? I don't understand why Zelda is being picked on for not allowing you to choose gender. Almost all games that have a named protagonist don't allow you to choose.

Do those other games have a lore based on reincarnation? People didn't just pick Zelda out of the blue, you know. It's one of the few (maybe only?) popular IPs that could justify it if the developers ever wanted to do it.

so basically nothing counts

Waji

Probably already been discussed/old or whatever but...
In the middle of this heavy equipment is there a helmet ?
Does it go with the overal armor or would there be a "slot" for the head.

Cloukyo

Banned
I'm not sure how wanting Zelda to be a protagonist is wanting her to be a Mary Sue. Can you extrapolate, based on my posts? I don't get you there.

I was being hyperbolic.

But if you want Zelda as a main character then save it for another mainline game, they've already chosen Link for this one. While I'm not against the idea of having a playable Zelda, I think you're absolutely incorrect about Zelda being nothing more than a damsel in distress, especially considering how flat all the other characters in the games are. She's the most varied out of all of them.

Hell, why is being trapped or overpowered by the bad guy even a bad thing? That doesn't stop her personality and character from being strong. She's the most dominant character in WW, she's a strong leader in TP, she's helpful as Sheik in OoT.

The desire to save your friend, or the one you love, is a legitimate plot device to keep your character moving forward.

Tetra saved Link when she was trapped earlier on in the game. Link saved Zelda when she was captured by Ganon. They both defeated Ganon together.

Enough of this. I'm not replying to these ridiculous "Link should be a girl" and "Zelda should be Xena Warrior Princess" posts anymore

Do those other games have a lore based on reincarnation? People didn't just pick Zelda out of the blue, you know. It's one of the few (maybe only?) popular IPs that could justify it if the developers ever wanted to do it.

Lore where the reincarnation happens because a goddess wants to reborn as princess Zelda over and over, and wants the hero to be reborn over and over. Where they almost always wear the same clothes, have the same hairstyle, and hell, most links are left handed too.

The reincarnation mythos doesn't give flexibility to change gender. It locks the characters to their set gender. Hylia the goddess is a woman, the hero was a guy, he even looks like Twilight Princess Link. This nonsense literally started just because people thought it was possible to change gender when the first trailer was shown. Then it just stayed locked in people's brains.

Sardello

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/movie/live.mp4
Damn it Nintendo, I'm trying not to buy the Switch at launch, buuuuuuuuuut, hnnnnnnnnnnnng.

I think it's already a big step that Nintendo "feed" the fans who ship ZeldaxLink but never had real relationship besides being knight save/serve princess. So I'm happy that we will get a little more closer to her in this game.

I don't know why, but in some scenes Link reminds me Future Boy Conan

gweemz

Play Wand of Gamelon if you want to be a girl.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So now you're just making stuff up. She stays in the castle before the final act and the final boss, not half the game. I don't know what you wanted from her, but she's not the main character, it's still Link's quest to save his sister, and then hyrule.

Regarding her getting captured. Well boo hoo, in the end she's just a normal girl, she doesn't even have her light arrows at that point, it's no surprise she couldn't stand up against Ganon, did you expect her to? Once she gets her light arrows and link gets the master sword, they both wreck Ganon. Why focus on the one moment when she was at her weakest, rather than all the cool moments she was given in the game?

First half of Wind Waker:

-Forsaken Fortress pt 1 and 2
-Dragon Roost
-Forbidden Woods
-Tower of Gods

Then Tetra's identity is revealed

Second half of Wind Waker:

-Earth Temple
-Wind Temple
-Triforce Quest
-Ganon's Tower

It's halfway through the game. Not sure how that's up for contention...

And what I'd want from Tetra is for a more consistent characterization in-line with the cool pirate captain from the first half of the game. A character who is clearly capable of doing some dirt, and yet she hangs in the castle for no reason. Hell, she's a fucking captain of a ship full of dudes. She couldn't be asked to return with you to the surface, regroup with her crew, and offer you some backup? Even if by nature of the story, she did end up getting captured again, atleast she could be captured while taking some swings herself. Hell, even if they had her get captured when she tried saving your ass in Forsaken Fortress, atleast she still then comes off as heroic in her own way.

Also, you don't get to brush off her lack of involvement with:
I don't know what you wanted from her, but she's not the main character, it's still Link's quest to save his sister, and then hyrule.

and then in literally the same post, going on to say:

Like we've said in earlier posts. Zelda is without a doubt the main character in this series. You play as Link, but Zelda is the one who adds texture to the story, the plot revolves around her impact on the world and her personality is always very distinct. She's much more than a damsel in distress.

LotusHD

Banned
Lore where the reincarnation happens because a goddess wants to reborn as princess Zelda over and over, and wants the hero to be reborn over and over. Where they almost always wear the same clothes, have the same hairstyle, and hell, most links are left handed too.

The reincarnation mythos doesn't give flexibility to change gender. It locks the characters to their set gender. Hylia the goddess is a woman, the hero was a guy, he even looks like Twilight Princess Link. This nonsense literally started just because people thought it was possible to change gender when the first trailer was shown. Then it just stayed locked in people's brains.

I thought you said you were done lol

Anyways, not getting into it, already had the discussion on said "flexibility" more than enough times. At the end of the day, they can do whatever they want.

Play Wand of Gamelon if you want to be a girl.

I don't know what this has to do with my reply to you. You asked why Zelda is the one that's "being picked on", and I answered.

Either way, don't worry, Link's gender is safe for the foreseeable future lol

M-PG71C

Damn it looks good, first time I'm excited for a Zelda title in eons. These games are usually not my cup of tea but BoTW looks to be very different.

BTW, since we're talking about gender, fuck it. Next game, make Link a girl who has a lesbian relationship with Zelda that develops within the game. That will make everyone happy.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Damn it looks good, first time I'm excited for a Zelda title in eons. These games are usually not my cup of tea but BoTW looks to be very different.

BTW, since we're talking about gender, fuck it. Next game, make Link a girl who has a lesbian relationship with Zelda that develops within the game. That will make everyone happy.

Are you trying to be facetious? Because that would probably garner a fuck-ton of respect for Nintendo, an extremely conservative company, for being up-front about same-sex relationships.

trixx

dang some spoilers i think, didnt want to see where the master sword was places :(.

That should be illegal in a trailer

Are you trying to be facetious? Because that would probably garner a fuck-ton of respect for Nintendo, an extremely conservative company, for being up-front about same-sex relationships.

I was really impressed with this in FE: Fates. I'm far beyond the point of being out and feeling accepted yadda yadda, but it still meant a lot to me. Especially when considering all of the struggling kids who may have seen that and just felt like this world recognized them. Touching.

I personally would like a "dumbledore" approach to an LGBT character. Miyamoto speaks up in an interview and says "oh yeah, Link in the original LOZ was gay af."

M-PG71C

Kind of? Personally speaking, I would be completely cool with it. I think it would put the title on it's head and really allow them to explore outside convention. But I know the rabid Zelda fanbase, like what's happening in this thread, would be completely pissed off lol

A lot of them, at least anecdotally, have a hard time imagining playing Link as a female. I would imagine a lot of them would balk if Link was a female who was having a lesbian relationship with Zelda.

I was really impressed with this in FE: Fates. I'm far beyond the point of being out and feeling accepted yadda yadda, but it still meant a lot to me. Especially when considering all of the struggling kids who may have seen that and just felt like this world recognized them. Touching.

I personally would like a "dumbledore" approach to an LGBT character. Miyamoto speaks up in an interview and says "oh yeah, Link in the original LOZ was gay af."

This. And this is coming from conservative Nintendo.

Cloukyo

Banned
Landscape:

JointRawAtlanticspadefish.gif

Amazing, the visual aesthetic will keep this game beautiful for a long time, just like with Wind Waker

Needs to be trans too. Might as well go full ham with the progressive angle.

Top Bottom