• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer

mantidor

After she's spent half the game hiding in the basement for no real reason, only to get captured anyway.

The character they present in the first half wouldn't sit this one out. However the second she's called Zelda... "You go, I'll stay here and accomplish nothing." Until the ending of course. And the ending of Wind Waker is great. Doesn't mean Tetra isn't completely fucking wasted at the game's halfway point.

No real reason? the King explains it, Ganondorf now will look for her since her identity has been revealed and no matter how much of a bad-ass pirate she is she is not going to stop him.

Also she is a pirate that discovered she is a princess, she is in shock.

Nintendo has tweaked the damsel in distress story little by little, from the basic formula of the first games to teaming up Link and Zelda always since Ocarina of Time. If there is any criticism there should be about how cliche Ganondorf is, because he always does the same trope of the big villain underestimating the hero of the story, Ganondorf neutralizes Zelda because she is the powerful one that matters, and lets Link run around because he's too cocky to see him as a threat, and there could be more interesting ways to make the story fit the gameplay need of Link running around.

But Zelda is the center of the story, Link always needs her to deliver the final blow.

klier

.....can't get over this, it's the single most amazing game I have ever seen in my gaming career. Which started with a NES. Hype is at max levels.

jdstorm

Banned
RE7 will be my GOTY, and the main character is a man. It's got nothing to do with misogyny. It's just that in this particular case, they designed Zelda to look almost exactly like Link. They have her holding the Master Sword in an artwork for the game. There's been copious rumors about a female protogonist for this particular Zelda game. And yet it's not happening, and I've yet to hear a valid reason for it to be (IMO!). And no, to me "It's their story" doesn't cut it. I really don't mean to be abrasive about this. I just legitimately don't get it. Link is about as empty and soulless as you can get for a main character. Everything he ever was, has nothing to do with his gender.

I really think that it's time for the series to have more varied heroes. And if you disagree, that's fine too. It's just how I feel. ALTTP is one of my top 10 games of all time, and Link being a boy, doesn't change that at all. Nothing would change if he was a girl in there. So why not? If Nintendo want to hit the big notes, of the open world RPGs...why not offer the choice that most of these games do? Personally I just don't get it. Again it's personally. I won't argue. Nintendo has made it clear. Link is a male hero, and they expressed the feeling that Zelda has to be a damsel in distress, for him. I just personally don't agree with that. I think that it's time the franchise became more, at least I think so. At worst, I think it'd be fine for a girl, to rescue the girl.

And if you don't agree, well that's fine. And honestly you ARE winning this argument. The game is proof! But...as a longtime Zelda fan...I'm still going to be disappointed in the lack of choice. Link was never a character in my eyes. It was always a template. And I won't be convinced otherwise lol. Again as a Zelda fan, I don't think that this discussion is useless. But I could be wrong. If people really don't want to talk about female protoganists in Zelda, I'll just shut the fuck up lol. But the rumors were there!

The Zelda Franchise has had many istances of a Woman rescuing Zelda. Her Primary protector in OoT and Skyward Sword is Impa who is shown using her physical prowess to get Zelda out of tough situations.

Aside from one unfortunate quote from Nintendo in an off the cuff remark there is little evidence to suggest Zelda wont be the typically competant woman of action she has been in 2 1/2 out of 4 3D Zelda's. The Zelda team has a great track record witb writing Zelda and she is really the Hero of both Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword.

Monolith Soft having a major influence in creating BotW is further good news as they have a great track record with writing female characters. Notably their most recent game Xenoblade Chronicles X is a masterclass on how to write multiple competant complex women of action.

If there was any team in the indusrty that deserved some slack on this issue its the Zelda team/Monolith Soft (For me personally the Final Fantasy team were a close 2nd but they have burnt through a lot of goodwill with FFXV)

Ultimately i think Nintendo decided was that what they wanted Zelda to be at its core was a story about a boy and girl who grow together and save the world from evil. With each game retelling the same story but in a context specific to the issues of the time period in which its created.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've got a crazy half-baked theory that there are actually two Zeldas (past and present), and Link is the father/grandfather of Present!Zelda, with Past!Zelda being her mother/grandmother.

Nah, you see, Link was actually a WW2 super soldier legendary hero of the gods who had a love interest, got put into suspended animation, but when he woke up, she was all old and he's like "I'm sad we missed our chance. But your great niece is super hot so I'm gonna hook up with her."

The Lamp

So I think it looks like the Zoras definitely teach you a new swim style.

In the December footage, Link's feet were flapping like a mermaid when he swam. In all this footage it was basic breaststroke.

Cloukyo

Banned
If Zelda doesn't also freeze herself then there most definitely will be two Zeldas. There'd have to be if there's one in the past and one in the present day. Another re-incarnation.

I know some people are saying she could be an old woman in the modern timeline. But... that'd make her over 110 years old...

jdstorm

Banned
Nah, you see, Link was actually a WW2 super soldier legendary hero of the gods who had a love interest, got put into suspended animation, but when he woke up, she was all old and he's like "I'm sad we missed our chance. But your great niece is super hot so I'm gonna hook up with her."

Lol. I hated that so much in Cap 3. Why cant Marvel just play it straight up and go with Cap +Widow. That potential relationship is so much more interesting

Mariolee

They were asked multiple times about this, and they've been adamant about it. Zelda is a one dimensional damsel in distress. She can't be allowed strength and independence actually, otherwise it undermines the very canonical male Link apparently. I'm still wondering what happened with the female Link rumors we had going last year.

Whoa wait what. Since when do you need to be playable to be a character of strength and independence? I feel like you're jumping the gun by a mile here.

It's also faorly obvious that in the 10p years previous Link was merely a Royal Guard, akin to his role in Hyrule Warriors, except that in this case he was more like her personal security guard.

HappyPitifulGreyhounddog.gif

"Is it... mine?"

Is that even a possibility between the two?

gweemz

Yup that's how criticism works... "You want to play as a girl? Go play one of the most laughably bad games ever."

Great rebuttal.

Lol that was a joke, calm down. This has been discussed to death and we all know Nintendo isn't going to change Link to allow you to be a girl.

Caelus

The Famitsu article talked about how Zelda is a curious role who likes to explore ancient ruins.

I wonder how that will play out?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Lol that was a joke, calm down. This has been discussed to death and we all know Nintendo isn't going to change Link to allow you to be a girl.

Genuinely hard to tell the joke excuses from the sincere ones at this point... Apologies.

That said, I dunno, there's a lot of things people assumed Nintendo would never do (for better or worse). Never know what they might do in response to peoples' attitudes.

LotusHD

Banned
Genuinely hard to tell the joke excuses from the sincere ones at this point... Apologies.

That said, I dunno, there's a lot of things people assumed Nintendo would never do (for better or worse). Never know what they might do in response to peoples' attitudes.

Gonna be a shitshow if they ever do lol

what-ok

Usually mainline Zelda games start development up to one year after the last one launched. I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

( ;

Oh, and do you think HD rumble will play a roll in BOTW? I don't remember it being mentioned by those who played it on Switch.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Usually mainline Zelda games start development up to one year after the last one launched. I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

I mean considering the response to Breath of the Wild, you'd hope they'd have confidence with the template already in place with which they could develop another one far quicker. Atleast in the sense that they aren't having to reinvent the franchise again.

It sounded like Skyward Sword didn't start development until like spring 2008 when Miyamoto said publicly that the Zelda team was only just coming back together.

gweemz

To be fair I'm not against having a female Link if that is what Nintendo wants to do. My issue is with people acting like Nintendo is the devil because in BotW you can't choose gender.
And you're right, if enough people ask, they may give us an option to choose gender. Heck, we were able to wear dresses in Triforce Heroes.

takriel

I mean considering the response to Breath of the Wild, you'd hope they'd have confidence with the template already in place with which they could develop another one far quicker. Atleast in the sense that they aren't having to reinvent the franchise again.

It sounded like Skyward Sword didn't start development until like spring 2008 when Miyamoto said publicly that the Zelda team was only just coming back together.

Yeah they will certainly do either DLC, a spin-off game or a sequel with the BotW engine to capitalize on their momentum. But after that? I have no idea how they will tackle the franchise going forward. I don't expect another new mainline entry for a long time tbh.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah they will certainly do either DLC, a spin-off game or a sequel with the BotW engine to capitalize on their momentum. But after that? I have no idea how they will tackle the franchise going forward. I don't expect another new mainline entry for a long time tbh.

I think it's time for a new Zelda set on the ocean - but with BotW's open design. Like Mediterranean Zelda.

Feel the waves with that HD rumble, know what I mean?

what-ok

Horse Breeding offshoot game coming soon. Can't wait to milk a horse or wait...

LotusHD

Banned
To be fair I'm not against having a female Link if that is what Nintendo wants to do. My issue is with people acting like Nintendo is the devil because in BotW you can't choose gender.
And you're right, if enough people ask, they may give us an option to choose gender. Heck, we were able to wear dresses in Triforce Heroes.

They aren't the devil, but I'd be lying if I said they haven't given some lame excuses for it. Like they'd be better off just saying they don't want to lol

Plum

You know what would be cool?

A Shiek game set in the same overworld but during the 100 years when Link was asleep. Give it a much darker tone and focus in on the stealth system of BotW.

I was really impressed with this in FE: Fates. I'm far beyond the point of being out and feeling accepted yadda yadda, but it still meant a lot to me. Especially when considering all of the struggling kids who may have seen that and just felt like this world recognized them. Touching.

I personally would like a "dumbledore" approach to an LGBT character. Miyamoto speaks up in an interview and says "oh yeah, Link in the original LOZ was gay af."

I don't really like this approach to LGBT characters at all. It's like an easy way for a creator to check off a "diversity" checkmark without actually doing the work. I'd love to see LGBT representation in Zelda, but I'd want them to actually represent it. Even if it's something small, like giving that Goron dude a Goron husband that you meet at one or two points, that'd be a great positive step for NIntendo.

I don't really like this approach to LGBT characters at all. It's like an easy way for a creator to check off a "diversity" checkmark without actually doing the work. I'd love to see LGBT representation in Zelda, but I'd want them to actually represent it. Even if it's something small, like giving that Goron dude a Goron husband that you meet at one or two points, that'd be a great positive step for NIntendo.

Why not a Goron dude with a Zora husband?

Shaanyboi

Banned

I don't think anyone thinks Nintendo's the devil for it. But Aonuma's reasoning against it was fucking terrible. And I can certainly empathize with people bored with seeing the franchise's main female character being portrayed as helpless time and again, or just outright sobbing in Link's arms in the marketing

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Looks really good. A lot more cinematic than I was originally expecting as with some of those shots.

Top Bottom