• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

CronoShot

People legitimately argued that Link was wearing lipstick with that art style years ago and that they were seeing a female Link at that point. So no, he doesn't look about the same.

I'm saying he didn't get more androgynous between Skyward Sword and Zelda U.

Social

maybe Link has no specific gender and it won't be mentioned, we're just going to be left guessing and everyone will identify with the character as they please.

That would be a very Nintendo way to deal with it.

Complete

Banned
If they were going to give a gender option, they'd be making Link less androgynous, not more androgynous.
Nonsense. By making Link more androgynous, they can justify using the same character model for both sexes, only changing very minor things either way.

It's a perfect win for Nintendo.

Some users are going to be disappointed when link has no gender option.

Don't blame Nintendo later lol

I personally don't care either way but if having a gender option makes other people feel more included or connected to the character then good for them! I don't necessarily expect a gender option, so I doubt the lack of it would disappoint me.

Plenty of other ways the reveal could disappoint me though...

Simbabbad

An apt summary of pretty much every point of view in this discussion. I don't envy the Zelda staff, imagine that pressure to deliver on so many layers, this gender discussion being but one slice of the stress cake.
This is strictly a microcosmic obsession, mostly located in the USA. 99.99% of players don't care about that stuff at all.

Most of the blame will be on anyone who believes everything Emily Rogers says is legit

Remember back when Wii U was Project Cafe, and she put out "leaked off-screen screenshots" of a Pikmin game and an Endless Ocean game?

Lmfao

And if I remember correctly, she also said XSEED was 100% publishing Devil's Third and that Star Fox wasn't in development for Wii U. :')

AND she said she'd stop posting articles about stuff if Soul Calibur and a Rockstar game weren't coming to Project Cafe.

The URL is here, but the site has been killed since: http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/lets-make-a-bet

Oops!

TheJoRu

Some users are going to be disappointed when link has no gender option.

Don't blame Nintendo later lol

I'd say they're absolutely fucked no matter what they do. Though I'm a lot more scared of the people complaining about them adding a female option than the ones who'd be disappointed in the lack of it...because I'd be one of the latter group.

aBarreras

I'd say they're absolutely fucked no matter what they do. Though I'm a lot more scared of the people complaining about them adding a female option than the ones who'd be disappointed in the lack of it...because I'd be one of the latter group.

yeah, they are between rock and a hard place, no matter what they do, there's gonna be a backlash D:!, im fine either way, would love to play as female protagonist, but i wont mind not having the option

Nanashrew

Banned
Yes, let's ignore every time Emily was right and that's she's gotten better sources over the years. Let's rather dig up ancient stuff that has no bearing on today. Geeze, ya'll are so vindictive.

AntMurda

Yes, let's ignore every time Emily was right and that's she's gotten better sources over the years. Let's rather dig up ancient stuff that has no bearing on today. Geeze, ya'll are so vindictive.

When has she ever been right on an originally sourced rumor? Meaning not just jumping on a rumor or leak from someone else?

I am just expecting the usual Link, better go with historical data than a random attention grabbing Internet leaker that is correct sometimes.

Complete

Banned
So being lazy is a perfect win? No, no it's not.
A perfect win for Nintendo.

They get brownie points for having an option for female Link, but also get points from the purists by keeping Link's design mostly unchanged and also by saving on dev costs. I don't see where in the equation they lose out here.

This is strictly a microcosmic obsession, mostly located in the USA. 99.99% of players don't care about that stuff at all.
Nope. Don't underestimate the power of the moe craze in Japan. They'd be all over a female Link.

This gotta be our first look at the female option right? That's one girly-looking Link. More than your regular androgynous male Link. And if be fine with that.
If I keep saying it, it will become true!

lol you guys are trying to speak this thing into exsistence. Either way there are gonna be some reactionary threads on Tuesday. Lots of banning and accusations.

thread A: Nintendo had the perfect opprtunity to make a female link and blew it!

thread B: There will be no thread B,

I just hope we can get some good moderators watching the threads for anyone polluting the reveal thread complaining about lack of gender options.

wrowa

If I keep saying it, it will become true!

lol you guys are trying to speak this thing into exsistence. Either way there are gonna be some reactionary threads on Tuesday. Lots of banning and accusations.

thread A: Nintendo had the perfect opprtunity to make a female link and blew it!

thread B: There will be no thread B,

I just hope we can get some good moderators watching the threads for anyone polluting the reveal thread complaining about lack of gender options.

What makes you so sure there won't be a gender option?

KingBroly

Banned
A perfect win for Nintendo.

They get brownie points for having an option for female Link, but also get points from the purists by keeping Link's design mostly unchanged and also by saving on dev costs. I don't see where in the equation they lose out here.

I know what you said. It's lazy and people will 100% call them out on it because it'd be so obvious. People expect better, and doing something just for the sake of doing it without changing a thing is going to lose more sales than it hopes to gain.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lazy and crappy photoshop removing the hood and making a random guess
3d0a567bc6.png

What makes you so sure there won't be a gender option?
Im not sure, but I do know Emily said female character playable.. dont mean its a gender option for Link. Personally im neutral, prefer link stay male but I dont care in the end.

Its still gon be a new Zelda game and thats ultimately what I care about.

I know what you said. It's lazy and people will 100% call them out on it because it'd be so obvious. People expect better, and doing something just for the sake of doing it without changing a thing is going to lose more sales than it hopes to gain.
Lol, yeah they should've just made Link only female. We know how well that would've went with fans. :/

Complete

Banned
That's pretty much entirely your opinion. I suggest you speak for yourself.

Personally, I'd be thoroughly enamored with them providing the option, and even moreso if male and female Link look largely identical. Too much of what we define gender with is arbitrary and driven by societal norms rather than anything to do with biology, after all. It'd be a great step towards acknowledging that if we could just have a female character treated with the exact same respect as the male version.

People aren't going to buy the game if lady Link doesn't look different enough from dude Link?

Krathoon

It does make you wonder if Zelda did magically flip genders when she was Sheik.

I would be hilarious if they have voice acting and Sheik had a really deep voice.

They are going to gender swap Ganodorf too.

Pick a Girl for your Male Ganon
Boy for Lady Ganon.

Hell Gender swap everybody.

I'll like to see the reactions

KingBroly

Banned
People aren't going to buy the game if lady Link doesn't look different enough from dude Link?

Everything Nintendo does nowadays that is perceived to be lazy gets them burned. Badly. What is being suggested is the definition of lazy, and to say there wouldn't be a massive amount of outrage at them doing something like that would be laughable.

mStudios

Everything Nintendo does nowadays that comes from a perspective of laziness gets them burned. Badly. What is being suggested is the definition of lazy, and to say there wouldn't be a massive amount of outrage at them doing something like that would be laughable.

Example of Nintendo being lazy?

Top Bottom