• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

ReyVGM

The deal is that I fear Zelda U will be all about grass fields in a sandbox, rather than interesting places to explore. I meant they showed nothing else but grass fields so far. I really hope E3 proves me wrong and tells us more about the story, the dungeons and interesting places. I don't want it to be Zelda 1 in modern age.

Come on!

Have you seen the world map? It shows mountains, lakes, beach, volcano, lava, snow, lots of forests.

I would love a dark dank murky swamp too.

for the love of fuck can we have a zelda that doesn't start like this AGAIN

please

Last console Zelda that DIDN'T open exactly like that was MM, and even that game, despite assuming you played OoT and therefore not bothering to throw a bunch of tutorials in your face like later game, still had you go around doing menial shit while waiting a game enforced hour for the the plot to start again. It's basically the reason I'm expecting it even after Anouma claimed that they're gonna dial back the hand holding this time.

People who think Nintendo were always planning to show more games and that initial PR statement was just misinterpreted are delusional.

It's obvious they decided to add another Treehouse day to show other games after the backlash from fans complaining about it. If you went to Nintendo's E3 site previous to the second PR announcement, you would see the calendar only had 1 day to mark, now it has 2.

They never said Zelda was going to be the only game shown. It was the focus.

mStudios

for the love of fuck can we have a zelda that doesn't start like this AGAIN

please

Why?

It's an intro to the Hero and the legend.

What would you do? Start right off as the hero with nothing to do other than fuck shit up and kill every single thing you see on screen?

unless you're referring to the mential task instead of the story.

Why?

What would you do? Start right off as the hero with nothing to do other than fuck shit up and kill every single thing you see on screen?

I would love to see a new console Zelda start off about as briskly as LttP did.

This is the second E3 PR they sent out:

Nintendo’s kickoff to the E3 show happens at 9 a.m. PT Tuesday, June 14, when Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime introduces Nintendo Treehouse: Live, which will be dedicated to a day of live-streamed gameplay of The Legend of Zelda.

While you are technically correct that they never explicitly said they would not show any other games, it's hard to deny that it was heavily implied to be nothing but Zelda on the Treehouse stream. The simplest explanation for that implication is that, at that time, Zelda was all they were planning to show. Obviously plans changed and now that day of live-streamed gameplay is being shared with Pokemon.

ReyVGM

Forget about the wording. They only intended to have Zelda on the show floor (that still stands) and they only intended to have one Treehouse day dedicated to Zelda.

After all the backlash, they come out and announce a second Treehouse day with other games, and are now even showing Pokemon Sun & Moon before Zelda U on the 1st Treehouse day.

Nintendo's E3 site previously only had ONE day to mark on the calendar, now it has two. The same site only mentioned one game for the Treehouse (Zelda), now it mentions the other games.

I can't believe people can't tell the decision to add more games was taken after all the backlash.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Guys, the blue shirt looks is obviously just the outfit you wear during the the opening segment where you start off in a small town doing menial tasks before some shit goes down that forces you to go out into the world and save whoever's kidnapped. You'll probably get the traditional green tunic after the first peudo-dungeon portion of the game, at latest and be stuck with it for the rest of the game barring maybe one or two "special" tunics/armors that give you heavily situational advantages but otherwise do nothing.

They've shown the game three times since 2014, plus this image. If Link was going to wear the traditional costume as the primary look, we would've seen it by now and not had this look take up every piece of concept art they've shared. It'd be like if every time we saw Deus Ex Human Revolution for years before release, the only look we'd ever seen of Adam Jensen was him from the first 20 minutes before he got turned into pseudo-Robocop.

That's now how promotion works. Name me a Zelda game that has promoted his "farmer" outfit more than the classic look, let alone revealed it first.

ReyVGM

They've shown the game three times since 2014, plus this image. If Link was going to wear the traditional costume as the primary look, we would've seen it by now and not had this look take up every piece of concept art they've shared. It'd be like if every time we saw Deus Ex Human Revolution for years before release, the only look we'd ever seen of Adam Jensen was him from the first 20 minutes before he got turned into pseudo-Robocop.

That's now how promotion works.

I want the green tunic to be given to you before going to the last dungeon. After you've proven yourself to be the hero by defeating all the other dungeons.

Giving Link the green tunic at the beginning of the game without people knowing if he's the actual hero or not is kind of like how parents baptize children before they even know if he's going to be a godfearing kid or a demon heathen child.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I want the green tunic to be given to you before going to the last dungeon. After you've proven yourself to be the hero by defeating all the other dungeons.

Giving Link the green tunic at the beginning of the game without people knowing if he's the actual hero or not is kind of like how parents baptize children before they even know if he's going to be a godfearing kid or a demon heathen child.

Oh I'm sure it'll be in there somewhere. Just not as the main outfit that players will see for most of the game or what the marketing will predominantly use.

Ansatz

Skyward Sword's intro had to introduce Fi, wm+ swordplay, the stamina meter, what the green fruit does, loftwing controls, dowsing, how to travel between the skyworld and the land below the clouds.

How they teach you doesn't matter to me, whether it's helping an old lady at the academy by carrying barrels of supplies for her or if they dress it up as infiltrating an enemy base where the objective is to launch a barrel at a group of enemies standing near a campfire; the underlying mechanical action is equivalent in both cases so I really don't care if the screenplay isn't 'exciting'.

ReyVGM

Isnt Link lefthanded?

Cause he/she clearly is Holding the sword in the right one....

Well, we've known this since the game was shown in 2014.

Unfortunately, it seems like Nintendo has turned Link into a righty. It made sense in TP Wii because the game was mirrored. It made sense in Skyward Sword to some extent since it would have looked weird for righties to swing the wiimote and see Link swinging with the left hand. But it doesn't make sense in this game if it's not going to use the Wiimote.

Unless... there's some kind of story twist where this Link is not the real Link descendant or something. Might fall in line with all the speculation about this hero being a Gerudo/Sheikah due to the pattern on the clothes and the focus the game has on the Sheikah eye.

What I said above. It would be a cool story twist.

Unfortunately, it seems like Nintendo has turned Link into a righty. It made sense in TP Wii because the game was mirrored. It made sense in Skyward Sword to some extent since it would have looked weird for righties to swing the wiimote and see Link swinging with the left hand. But it doesn't make sense in this game if it's not going to use the Wiimote.

Unless... there's some kind of story twist where this Link is not the real Link descendant or something. Might fall in line with all the speculation about this hero being a Gerudo/Sheikah due to the pattern on the clothes and the focus the game has on the Sheikah eye.

Yeah i just checked the gameplay And you Are right, we already knew that, my Bad :)

Why?

how about any of literally billions of possibilities besides the two present in this dichotomy, because yeah, i'd be pretty bored with starting in friendly village before going off to rescue kidnapped kids myself

CronoShot

Well Aonuma said he was joking in a later interview, but yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a twist to the backstory of Link.

AdanVC

So hyped but at the same time kinda down because yeah, this is going to be a Zelda blowout but we're still have to wait a year or even more than that to play it so I'm not expecting such a major blowout and lot's of questions would be raised rather than answers.

To me, this is what Skyward Sword should have looked like but couldn't because of the system power.
Then again, we have barely seen any actual game footage of the new one so hopefully it looks close to
this style.

Might be the best art style in the series for me but that remains to be seen.

Absolutely. Loving the artstyle already and so hyped that the game will finally looks closely to what the artstyle is showing. Let's freaking hope so. If not, we would have the NX version for more fidelity :))))

I want a female Link, but one that adds to the story. A gender swap just feels like Pokemon to me.

Well see, It won't disappoint me as its their first try at a female link tho.

AAAAAAAGH I really want to see some pictures of the show floor to try to get a glimpse of Nintendo´s booth!! No idea if there are some around already? I hope that we can start to see something pretty soon,since they are already building the whole thing.

CronoShot

Link's face has always been androgynous.

His body in that art looks pretty masculine though. Fairly broad shoulders, no bustline to speak of, etc.

If there is a female Link, I'm hoping for a greater visual difference between the two. Kinda like Pokemon, or even Robin/Corrin.

Well I don't know if we need to look that hard for a reason to make a character right handed (he's a different Link, most people are right handed, easier to identify?) but that's a really cool idea you have.

Maybe it's something like, the actual Link was called to fight Ganon but for whatever reason chose to join him instead, or maybe defeated him and took the Triforces of Power and Wisdom for himself, sorta becoming the new evil. Then the Sheikah decided to train and send out one of the "reserve" Links- someone who could end up being Link but wasn't chosen to for whatever reason- to go defeat evil king Link, and that's who we play as.

God, now that I'm typing this out the whole Link reincarnation thing is a lot like Buffy and vampire slayers.

Companion Giles!

Edit:

i want these links to be twins, you select what twin do you want, depending on your selection the other twin gets kinnadped by ganon forces, because he believes he/she is the reincarnation of the hero, i want the game to tell you that you really are the reincarnation and you must rescue your sibling and hyrule, just to be revelaed that you werent the chosen one all along, something like Solid and Liquid

That's a cool idea too but it would more or less require one of the Link twins to talk, right? I'm not sure if Nintendo is ready to give Link a voice after the ~shudder~ cartoon...

aBarreras

i want these links to be twins, you select what twin do you want, depending on your selection the other twin gets kinnadped by ganon forces, because he believes he/she is the reincarnation of the hero, i want the game to tell you that you really are the reincarnation and you must rescue your sibling and hyrule, just to be revelaed that you werent the chosen one all along, something like Solid and Liquid

Chindogg

Me: uncaring/"that's mildly neat"

image.php

I wonder how long GAF is going to go down when they show girl Link.

It'll be the greatest culling in GAF history. It will come to be known as the Day of Graynames.

At least we know that the review thread is going to be the least controversial Zelda review thread in GAF history.

Game is rated highly? Zelda GAF is happy.
Game is rated poorly? Zelda GAF is vindicated for everything they've said about Zelda adopting a traditional open world over the 10 years before Aonuma made it an actual thing.

ReyVGM

Well I don't know if we need to look that hard for a reason to make a character right handed (he's a different Link, most people are right handed, easier to identify?) but that's a really cool idea you have.

I don't normally look for reasons. As opposed to most Zelda fans, I really don't care about story in Zelda games (other than Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask) because they are usually the same trope/cliche we've seen a million times before, and I care even less about the timeline since 90% the actual games don't really have any obvious connections to the previous games.

BUT

Nintendo is going out of their way to showing a Link wearing a different tunic than the usual one. His clothes share patterns with Gerudo clothes from OoT. The emphasis on the Shiekah eye on that tablet he has (and the logo on the E3 site). And on top of that they make Link right-handed without a reason (that we know of).
That leads me to think that this Link is not a real Link descendant or something. I mean, I would love a story twist like that though.

That... actually sounds really good!

Brizzo24

Nintendo eShop sale: Starting at 11 a.m. PT until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 21, Nintendo is offering discounts on some of its most popular games as a special treat for fans.

I would like to pick up a retail copy of TP:HD, but I would settle for a digital. But honestly, Nintendo uses the term 'discount' extremely loosely.

Most likely: $59.99 --> $49.99, ugh. I'd only bite if it drops to $19.99 to align with their selects.

maxcriden

I would like to pick up a retail copy of TP:HD, but I would settle for a digital. But honestly, Nintendo uses the term 'discount' extremely loosely.

Most likely: $59.99 --> $49.99, ugh. I'd only bite if it drops to $19.99 to align with their selects.

That game just came out, so I'd be pretty surprised if it sees any price drop. On the bright side, I've seen the physical copy on sale quite a bit, and with GCU (and some GAFers will let you use their account for free) you could get it new for $50ish with an amiibo.

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017W1771Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$35.09 though. How can you beat that? :)

I don't normally look for reasons. As opposed to most Zelda fans, I really don't care about story in Zelda games (other than Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask) because they are usually the same trope/cliche we've seen a million times before, and I care even less about the timeline since 90% the actual games don't really have any obvious connections to the previous games.

BUT

Nintendo is going out of their way to showing a Link wearing a different tunic than the usual one. His clothes share patterns with Gerudo clothes from OoT. The emphasis on the Shiekah eye on that tablet he has (and the logo on the E3 site). And on top of that they make Link right-handed without a reason (that we know of).
That leads me to think that this Link is not a real Link descendant or something. I mean, I would love a story twist like that though.

Most Links aren't actually related to previous Links right? I think we get vague hints that TP Link is a descendant of OoT/MM Link but the rest of them are likely not at all related. I think it's the whole "spirit of the hero" which picks someone in each iteration to be the Link. Wind Waker was about sorta making yourself into that hero since no hero had ever come, right?

I agree that we're in for something radically different based on Link's clothing and behavior in what we've seen but I wouldn't count his dominant hand as being one of the major factors. Weren't the original Zelda and ALttP Link sorta right handed because his left and right sword swings animations were mirrored? Maybe this art is mirrored to throw off our fan speculation!

Come on!

Have you seen the world map? It shows mountains, lakes, beach, volcano, lava, snow, lots of forests.

I would love a dark dank murky swamp too.

I know, but after Nintendo went downhill in the last 4 years especially this and last year), my concern that Zelda U will be part of Nintendo's low effort route is justified. I mean, the footage we have now really looks great, but I wouldn't trust it completely, until I see footage of dark places, dungeons, story, villages etc. My biggest fear is Zelda U being a sandbox game, going just from dungeon to dungeon without any meaningful experiences, storylines, interesting places and characters. And considering Nintendo released some forgettable games lately, this is not too far fetched. Right now, the only way Nintendo could disappoint me with this E3 is Zelda U gameplay with nothing but grass fields or other stuff that doesn't look that good.

I really, really hope this game delivers. Gaming as an entire hobby depends on that for me.

I wonder if you all would be so hyped about next Lara Croft being a male....seriously, I want my male characters to be male,and my female characters to be female. I don´t want Samus to be a man or Snake to be a woman....I don´t understand you,people...

Top Bottom