• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda U/NX artwork + E3 plans

Anth0ny

Why?

It's an intro to the Hero and the legend.

What would you do? Start right off as the hero with nothing to do other than fuck shit up and kill every single thing you see on screen?

unless you're referring to the mential task instead of the story.

It worked just fine with Zelda 1, Zelda 2, LTTP, Majora's Mask...

Even OOT presents the player with some tension at the beginning of the game. Link is having nightmares. The Deku Tree is dying. GO DO SOMETHING.

With Wind Waker, TP and SS, we have Link waking up in his peaceful town, doing mundane shit, going through the forced tutorials, and THEN oh no something bad happens. It was tedious with Wind Waker, and only got worse from there. ANOTHER Zelda that starts exactly like that would be real fucking shitty. Be creative ffs.

Last console Zelda that DIDN'T open exactly like that was MM, and even that game, despite assuming you played OoT and therefore not bothering to throw a bunch of tutorials in your face like later game, still had you go around doing menial shit while waiting a game enforced hour for the the plot to start again. It's basically the reason I'm expecting it even after Anouma claimed that they're gonna dial back the hand holding this time.

At least OOT and MM had much shorter intros that were easily skippable on replays. With Wind Waker on, they would draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag that shit on for far too long.

what-ok

If the important part of Zelda canon is that a hero is needed then any gender qualify. If it's canon that it needs to be Link and link happens to be male then maybe there is an augment. Otherwise, what's the problem?

I wonder if you all would be so hyped about next Lara Croft being a male....seriously, I want my male characters to be male,and my female characters to be female. I don´t want Samus to be a man or Snake to be a woman....I don´t understand you,people...

and I don't understand the people who equate easily malleable avatars like Link to established personalities like Lara Croft so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree eh

If Lara Croft were an empty slate reincarnation of a no-name archaeologist with no significant personality, personal motivations that don't rely on her life background, and no real backstory to speak of, then sure, I wouldn't mind being able to play through as Tom Braider, either.

I know, but after Nintendo went downhill in the last 4 years especially this and last year), my concern that Zelda U will be part of Nintendo's low effort route is justified. I mean, the footage we have now really looks great, but I wouldn't trust it completely, until I see footage of dark places, dungeons, story, villages etc. My biggest fear is Zelda U being a sandbox game, going just from dungeon to dungeon without any meaningful experiences, storylines, interesting places and characters. And considering Nintendo released some forgettable games lately, this is not too far fetched. Right now, the only way Nintendo could disappoint me with this E3 is Zelda U gameplay with nothing but grass fields or other stuff that doesn't look that good.

I really, really hope this game delivers. Gaming as an entire hobby depends on that for me.

Wait, what are you considering to be low effort? When this argument gets brought up the main examples we hear are Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash which are fairly valid examples from last year, but beyond that I don't know how you can say their titles have been low effort over the last 4 years. And I think it's pretty well understood that they've been lacking last and this year because they've pushed all but the cheaper filler games to NX to make it as strong a launch as possible. Zelda U on the other hand is anything but a filler game, and the fact that it's been in development for more or less 5 years should indicate that it will be absolutely nothing like Amiibo Festival or Ultra Smash.

I wonder if you all would be so hyped about next Lara Croft being a male....seriously, I want my male characters to be male,and my female characters to be female. I don´t want Samus to be a man or Snake to be a woman....I don´t understand you,people...

Well the main argument is that Link is usually not the same Link in different games. OoT Link is not TP Link is not Wind Waker Link. They're all characters who inherit the role of Link because of the Triforce of Courage, so they don't need to be established characters each time.

On the other side, Lara Croft has always been the same character, even in the reboot. Same with Samus. So it makes less sense to completely change an established character who has been the same person in all of their games than it does to change a character who is a brand new iteration each (most) games.

I think a full blown character creator would be neat this time, although there is value in maintaining a similar looking face of the IP, and character creators can damage that value.

sinxtanx

Maybe we'll get the origin of Link's boots next.

during last thursdays gaming night we were joking about a Zelda game centered around crate-pushing.

Link would have a crate that he had to push through the whole game, crate could get upgraded with wheels, springs, it had a face because it was also the hint companion, one upgrade would turn one side of the crate into a piano.

Reason for having a crate would be "Ganondorf is too tall for Link to hit so he needs to stand on the crate"

The Legend of Zelda: A Thief's End

Zelda cannon

*canon
you're thinking of a weapon that fires expensive princesses

mStudios

how about any of literally billions of possibilities besides the two present in this dichotomy, because yeah, i'd be pretty bored with starting in friendly village before going off to rescue kidnapped kids myself
It worked just fine with Zelda 1, Zelda 2, LTTP, Majora's Mask...

Even OOT presents the player with some tension at the beginning of the game. Link is having nightmares. The Deku Tree is dying. GO DO SOMETHING.

With Wind Waker, TP and SS, we have Link waking up in his peaceful town, doing mundane shit, going through the forced tutorials, and THEN oh no something bad happens. It was tedious with Wind Waker, and only got worse from there. ANOTHER Zelda that starts exactly like that would be real fucking shitty. Be creative ffs.

I think we're misunderstand each other.

My point is the game needs an intro to link.
The intro has always been the place he lives and how his story starts.

That formula is fine.

It tells you who link is, and what he has been doing before all started.

It's been the Same in OOT, ALLT, Wind Waker, TP and SS.
The same formula is applied in the GBC game, instead, he is just dropped in a new island and the shit gets real.

Formula: Intro to the hero and how he his story starts.

That formula is fine.

I don't think that it is, insofar that I want something different for once since I've been playing these games for years and years. I'm not going to advocate for more of the same shit we've seen at the beginning of each and every one of these games just because it traditionally 'worked' (and even that's a stretch, because only Wind Waker was expedient enough on that front that it didn't begin to bore me). That's not how shit moves forward.

Not this again... It's not even the same situation. Link is a reincarnated being, not one singular character like your examples. Technically, the character could be any gender or race. There is also a huge difference in changing a character with an underrepresented gender or race to a white dude.

Pinky

Banned

Lars Croft?
Larry Croft?

:p

It's not all that hard to understand, really. In almost every Zelda game, "Link" is a brand new character. A female "Link" would work just fine.

But now I want a Larry Croft, so thanks!

Fandangox

and I don't understand the people who equate easily malleable avatars like Link to established personalities like Lara Croft so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree eh

If Lara Croft were an empty slate reincarnation of a no-name archaeologist with no significant personality, personal motivations that don't rely on her life background, and no real backstory to speak of, then sure, I wouldn't mind being able to play through as Tom Braider, either.

Yeah Link is more comparable to the Pokemon Trainers, except even then the in-story reason which explains why "Link" is the person we play as in every Zelda game means a female option for Link would make sense since there's nothing indicating that one time the hero reincarnated as a guy or girl.

Fandangox

not a fan of the hood

I love the hood! I was never too much of a fan of the green tunic and dumb hat, but I recognize its his iconic look, but I feel its something they have done more now out of tradition than anything. Wouldn't oppose a cosmetic option for the green tunic though if this is the new permanent look for this game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If the important part of Zelda cannon is that a hero is needed then any gender qualify. If it's cannon the it's Link and link happens to be male then maybe there is an augment. Otherwise, what's the problem?

Basically this:

isn't the view point a large number of fans hold of Link. To them Link=Lara Croft or Mario or Samus or whoever. He's not just an avatar to them but an actual established character. To change him makes as much sense to them as changing any of the others. While other people don't see Link in that way at all; he's just a total blank slate or at best ~11 various boys from different times with superficial similarities. So to them having a Link be a girl makes total sense within the series' rationale and lore.

I think a majority of people are fine with the idea of a female hero, just that a lot aren't fine with the idea of that female hero being Link. Zelda as the hero or a new female character would be great and not a big issue for them. While on the other hand for some other people such a move would be a huge disappointment. For them it's very very important that it be a female Link and are much less interested, if not opposed, to some other female character as they view the importance of what Link represents as tantamount and to deny that symbolism takes away from it all.

Same goes for people who are for or against a gender option at the start of the game. For some it's incredibly important to provide the option as Link represents us all, while others think a choice devalues the change and that it's more important to have a Female Link with no other option. And then you have stuff like people wanting a full on character creator to let players completely customize their "Link" with whatever skin tone or facial features they want.

Shits complicated. People's connection and perception of the character Link and the franchise as a whole has always been incredibly diverse and conflicted. We've had a billion 30+ page threads about it in the last year. Nothings going to resolve this issue but Nintendo actually choosing a side in a future game. Even then I'm sure many fans will still be lobbying for their personal viewpoint.

Anth0ny

I think we're misunderstand each other.

That formula is fine.

It tells you who link is, and what he has been doing before all started.

It's been the Same in OOT, ALLT, Wind Waker, TP and SS.
The same formula is applied in the GBC game, instead, he is just dropped in a new island and the shit gets real.

Formula: Intro to the hero and how he his story starts.

sure, but you can do it in an exciting, fast paced way, or a boring, slow way.

the last 3 3d zeldas have been boring and slow. I'm hoping Zelda U bucks the trend, but I kinda doubt it.

WadeitOut

Really not seeing why people think he looks like a female. He's going to be male and people need to accept it and move on.

Complete

Banned
It always bothers me seeing posts like these that seem to be completely ignorant of the power imbalances at play, and the ridiculous skew towards male characters versus female characters as primary protagonists.

Like, seriously. Samus is one of very, very few female main characters. OBVIOUSLY having her turn male would be an unfortunate enforcing of the status quo, and not in any way a net positive. Likewise with Lara Croft.

You guys already have a ridiculous number of male protagonists to pick from. What's one more?

Richie

Isn't the view point a large number of fans hold of Link. To them Link=Lara Croft or Mario or Samus or whoever. He's not just an avatar to them but an actual established character. To change him makes as much sense to them as changing any of the others. While other people don't see Link in that way at all; he's just a total blank slate or at best ~11 various boys from different times with superficial similarities. So to them having a Link be a girl makes total sense within the series' rationale and lore.

I think a majority of people are fine with the idea of a female hero, just that a lot aren't fine with the idea of that female hero being Link. Zelda as the hero or a new female character would be great and not a big issue for them. While on the other hand for some other people such a move would be a huge disappointment. For them it's very very important that it be a female Link and are much less interested, if not opposed, to some other female character as they view the importance of what Link represents as tantamount and to deny that symbolism takes away from it all.

Same goes for people who are for or against a gender option at the start of the game. For some it's incredibly important to provide the option as Link represents us all, while others think a choice devalues the change and that it's more important to have a Female Link with no other option. And then you have stuff like people wanting a full on character creator to let players completely customize their "Link" with whatever skin tone or facial features they want.

Shits complicated. People's connection and perception of the character Link and the franchise as a whole has always been incredibly diverse and conflicted. We've had a billion 30+ page threads about it in the last year. Nothings going to resolve this issue but Nintendo actually choosing a side in a future game. Even then I'm sure many fans will still be lobbying for their personal viewpoint.

An apt summary of pretty much every point of view in this discussion. I don't envy the Zelda staff, imagine that pressure to deliver on so many layers, this gender discussion being but one slice of the stress cake.

Basically this:

isn't the view point a large number of fans hold of Link. To them Link=Lara Croft or Mario or Samus or whoever. He's not just an avatar to them but an actual established character. To change him makes as much sense to them as changing any of the others. While other people don't see Link in that way at all; he's just a total blank slate or at best ~11 various boys from different times with superficial similarities. So to them having a Link be a girl makes total sense within the series' rationale and lore.

A fair summary all around.

I just want Nintendo to pick a side with this game and move the hell on.

maxcriden

Hahaha. Auto incorrect via iPhone. Well now thinking about it, give this hero a CANNON.

They did that in Wind Waker, and his facial expression at the time leads me to believe he wouldn't wish that on any other Link. 😉

Really not seeing why people think he looks like a female. He's going to be male and people need to accept it and move on.

To be fair, we have a rumor from a credible source that the game will have gender options, so it's not the most outlandish time in the series's history to think this could happen. ☺

An apt summary of pretty much every point of view in this discussion. I don't envy the Zelda staff, imagine that pressure to deliver on so many layers, this gender discussion being but one slice of the stress cake.

Layers of the stress cake. I love it. Lol!

Nothings going to resolve this issue but Nintendo actually choosing a side in a future game. Even then I'm sure many fans will still be lobbying for their personal viewpoint.

Someone in this thread earlier presented a hypothetical where in this game you have a set of twins, boy and girl, either of which could inherit the Triforce of Courage. At the beginning of the game you get to choose who it is, maybe by choosing who has the courage to complete some sort of task, I dunno.

I think that would be a fine way of satisfying everyone- you have your choice of male and female main characters, nowhere is it said that the female character is explicitly "Link" (since you typically get to name yourself) and it could easily make sense within the rules and bounds of the Zelda universe.

Darryl

Banned

They can't even post pics of the game without people reading into tea leaves to find any hint of him being female. Link will have a female option. I doubt they're ballsy enough to tell fans no.

I still don't want Link to be a girl, I just want Zelda to be the main character!

I already have a cool female character I love, don't need to make a new one, in this reincarnation make Zelda the Link and Link the handsome prince that needs saving!

CronoShot

They can't even post pics of the game without people reading into tea leaves to find any hint of him being female. Link will have a female option. I doubt they're ballsy enough to tell fans no.

This is Nintendo we're talking about. They're experts at knowing what the fans want, then doing the exact opposite.

Diffense

Link is not a pure avatar; only his name was ever editable. You cannot assign a particular look to Xenoblade X's protagonist but you can always identify Link. He's MALE, has pointy ears, has orange/brown to yellow hair, a fair complexion and is dressed sort of like Robin Hood. Regardless of the rationalizations, a female Link would be as much of a reinvention as a male Zelda.

And yes, it's a bunch of different Zeldas too so perhaps one can be male. /sarc
Prince Zeldo Nintendo. Doooo iiit!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I still don't want Link to be a girl, I just want Zelda to be the main character!

I already have a cool female character I love, don't need to make a new one, in this reincarnation make Zelda the Link and Link the handsome prince that needs saving!

I agree with the first part, but for whatever reason the notion of role reversal is something I hate as much, if not more, than gender swapping for some reason.

There's plenty of simple ways they could have Zelda take the leading role in the game without changing her and Link's relative stations in life. Just make Link lose or not show up at all and force Zelda to take up the role herself. Plus I like the idea of Princess Zelda and not tomboy farm girl Zelda being the hero. No need to make exceptions to her character in order for her to a hero. Girls who sometimes wear pink frilly dresses and tiaras can be badasses too.

I'm okay with female Link aswell. It's not that they don't let me play with male Link if they offer a choice. So why even bother?

Btw I bet Zelda is the only 30 year old franchise in gaming which leads to a 10 page thread for an artwork of characters we already knew where in the game and show absolutly nothing new.^^

KingBroly

Banned
If they were going to give a gender option, they'd be making Link less androgynous, not more androgynous.

Not really. Zelda is the one Nintendo franchise where they listen to their fans. It's western driven.

Bull.Shit. People went INSANE over Wind Waker. People loved TP. They reverted art-styles and tried to go more towards WW to appease Japanese audiences. Nintendo does not give two fucks about the Western audience for ANY of their IP's. Remember Other M? The series was/is fully ingrained with western audiences then THAT happened.

Gsnap

I love the style of the promo art. Probably my favorite they've done. Skyward Sword's was good too, but theres something really pleasing about these.

Anth0ny

i want these links to be twins, you select what twin do you want, depending on your selection the other twin gets kinnadped by ganon forces, because he believes he/she is the reincarnation of the hero, i want the game to tell you that you really are the reincarnation and you must rescue your sibling and hyrule, just to be revelaed that you werent the chosen one all along, something like Solid and Liquid

this would be a simple and effective solution to the "problem"

I think one of the actually consistent themes in pretty much every Zelda game is courage, and how the Triforce of Courage empowers the hero to go on this perilous quest, risking his life and whatnot... And I think that's one of the main reasons we haven't seen a Zelda game where Zelda is the main playable character, because she is supposed to represent wisdom and benevolent rule rather than courage. The game doesn't sound as fun if your main role is to use the Triforce of Wisdom to know things about the world and educate the courageous hero.

Now, it would be pretty cool if they pull a bit of a switcheroo and say, maybe, the Triforces get switched up by some unseen force such that Link winds up with the Triforce of Wisdom and Zelda has the Triforce of Courage, and their roles are reversed because of that. Hell, maybe even have it so that Zelda gets the Triforce of Power, Link gets the Triforce of Wisdom and Ganon has the Triforce of Courage, and the main playable character in this game IS Ganon, and he, as the hero, has to defeat the evil Princess Zelda.

It would be nice if they do switch up the roles like you said but they should give a solid in game reason for something like that, and mixing up who gets which Triforce could be a neat way.

KingBroly

Banned
I think one of the actually consistent themes in pretty much every Zelda game is courage, and how the Triforce of Courage empowers the hero to go on this perilous quest, risking his life and whatnot... And I think that's one of the main reasons we haven't seen a Zelda game where Zelda is the main playable character, because she is supposed to represent wisdom and benevolent rule rather than courage. The game doesn't sound as fun if your main role is to use the Triforce of Wisdom to know things about the world and educate the courageous hero.

Now, it would be pretty cool if they pull a bit of a switcheroo and say, maybe, the Triforces get switched up by some unseen force such that Link winds up with the Triforce of Wisdom and Zelda has the Triforce of Courage, and their roles are reversed because of that. Hell, maybe even have it so that Zelda gets the Triforce of Power, Link gets the Triforce of Wisdom and Ganon has the Triforce of Courage, and the main playable character in this game IS Ganon, and he, as the hero, has to defeat the evil Princess Zelda.

It would be nice if they do switch up the roles like you said but they should give a solid in game reason for something like that, and mixing up who gets which Triforce could be a neat way.

You diminish/tarnish Link's character at that point by just making him Zelda and vice versa. You're better off not having Link at all than doing that.

CronoShot

If they were going to give a gender option, they'd be making Link less androgynous, not more androgynous.

He looks about the same as in Skyward Sword.

tumblr_inline_mg4crcQaN31r81par.gif

Anyway, I just hope the gender options are very distinct (not just Link and slightly more feminine Link), if not outright different characters like Pokemon.

KingBroly

Banned
He looks about the same as in Skyward Sword.

Anyway, I just hope the gender options are very distinct (not just Link and slightly more feminine Link), if not outright different characters like Pokemon.

People legitimately argued that Link was wearing lipstick with that art style years ago and that they were seeing a female Link at that point. So no, he doesn't look about the same.

Darryl

Banned

Bull.Shit. People went INSANE over Wind Waker. People loved TP. They reverted art-styles and tried to go more towards WW to appease Japanese audiences. Nintendo does not give two fucks about the Western audience for ANY of their IP's. Remember Other M? The series was/is fully ingrained with western audiences then THAT happened.

People complained about WW and then we got TP. That's a perfect example of listening. It's not like they could have just cancelled WW and reverted art styles. When people finally warmed up to it, we even got ourselves it remade in HD. Look at OoT remake. MM remake. LTTP2. Look at how the early concepts behind this game look. It's exactly what fans want. Whether we like their interpretation of the changes we ask for, who knows, but it's obvious these games are catered to western fans. The ones clamoring for female Link.

Lovely art.

For some reason I thought that Zelda was gonna be the only game they would cover at E3 so I'm happy to see that there's more stuff there, even if most of it is old.

I'm okay with and even support female Link, but for some reason I dislike the idea of playable Zelda. Regardless of if it's a male or a female, I feel like I would have a hard time giving up the idea of someone named "Link" being the main character of Zelda.

You diminish/tarnish Link's character at that point by just making him Zelda and vice versa. You're better off not having Link at all than doing that.

But the existing lore in the universe presents you with this possibility- you have the Hyrule Royal Family producing Zeldas, and you have the spirit of the hero being reincarnated, but typically those two things aren't exactly related to their Triforce pieces until the Triforce is awakened somehow (usually by Ganon).

Link and Zelda are essentially roles, and people in the Zelda universe attempt to fill those roles to fend off evil. There can be very fun and reasonable in-game reasons for having this particular incarnation of Link and Zelda fill opposite roles, and I really doubt that would diminish anyone's character, since they're clearly not always the same character.

I guess this whole reincarnation thing makes it difficult to separate how we as a fanbase view each character and how the writers for each game treat each character. It's certainly a pickle.

Top Bottom