• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Clearly one teaser-trailer of a game not having been yet seen in real time allows for definitive statements such as this.
Yep. We had some pretty impressive videos of DriveClub before the game was delayed a year. And GT trailers always look so much better than gameplay, though there's some truly impressive gameplay footage out there to find too. Polyphony are incredibly talented and should never be underestimated.

Clearly one teaser-trailer of a game not having been yet seen in real time allows for definitive statements such as this.

We all know what PD are capable of with precedence. Seeing a peak of the lighting system employed in this game has already differentiated it from the competition in terms of realistic lighting.

GTS
egialyuglo.gif
Really hope this will be real-time graphics.

Three

720p still doesn't hold a solid 60, though, just like with GT5.

Also, all of the clips in that video are from the Nissan GT Academy races where the pack is more split up, so the framerates in those videos are quite a bit better than in typical gameplay.

It holds a pretty solid 60. Also what has what you are saying now got to do with resolution. You said they didn't make it 720p or increased resolution but they actually did give you the option for 720p.Closeness of the pack has no effect it's when you go off track or in the rain and alpha effects kick in .

le-seb

rain and off track no.
Even on regular tracks. GT6's framerate is just all over the place most of the time, even at 720p.
Because it can sometimes hold a steady 60 fps for more than ten seconds doesn't make it a "pretty solid 60".

Is this a setting you can change ingame? Or would you be required to toggle you PS3 itself to 720p each time you wanted to play some GT?
You need to do the latter.

Synth

You do know you can set the resolution in GT6 to 720p and it boosts framerate right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4QUkyK6X4

Is this a setting you can change ingame? Or would you be required to toggle your PS3 itself to 720p each time you wanted to play some GT?

We all know what PD are capable of with precedence. Seeing a peak of the lighting system employed in this game has already differentiated it from the competition in terms of realistic lighting.

Yea. but then we also know via precedence that the reveals and trailers aren't necessary (and in Gran Turismo's and Forza's cases.. very rarely) what the final game looks like on your console.

My copy of Gran Turismo 5 sure as hell doesn't look like this for example.

Three

Even on regular tracks. GT6's framerate is just all over the place most of the time, even at 720p.
Because it can sometimes hold a steady 60 fps for more than ten seconds doesn't make it a "pretty solid 60".

You need to do the latter.

Thats fair enough should have chosen my words more wisely and I've mentioned GTs dipping framerates going below 60 in the past but it's still not a hog due to it being 1080p. You can run at 720 and it runs pretty stable when you're not kicking up water in the rain or dust in off road tracks.

https://youtu.be/GMhE-eob-2s

Javin98

Banned
Drive Club Bikes, SunhiLegend:
dcbikes20rtv.gif
Holy shit, is that real life?

Also, I asked this in the console screenshot thread, but didn't really get a good answer. Did Driveclub get an AF boost in the latest patch or something? Some of the ground textures look sharper than I remember from older screenshots.

It holds a pretty solid 60. Also what has what you are saying now got to do with resolution. You said they didn't make it 720p or increased resolution but they actually did give you the option for 720p.Closeness of the pack has no effect it's when you go off track or in the rain and alpha effects kick in .

Closeness of the pack absolutely does affect framerate, it's part of the reason why PD elected to use rolling starts instead of standing ones, and probably also why cars in seasonal events are so split up (as well as adding a challenge of course).

Regardless, 720p still doesn't offer a solid 60FPS, ever. It's impossible to get a stable framerate out of any PS3 GT title, regardless of rain or other alpha it WILL drop.

Three

Closeness of the pack absolutely does affect framerate, it's part of the reason why PD elected to use rolling starts instead of standing ones, and probably also why cars in seasonal events are so split up (as well as adding a challenge of course).

Regardless, 720p still doesn't offer a solid 60FPS, ever. It's impossible to get a stable framerate out of any PS3 GT title, regardless of rain or other alpha it WILL drop.

There is a race without drops in the above video but you are right that it doesn't offer a rock solid 60fps across the board. However GT6 offered better performance than GT5 and you could run at 720p, that's the only point I was making. The afforded bump in resolution at 1080p didn't mean performance that was worse since you can run it at 720p and it had better performance than GT5 at that res. Not really here to suggest GT6 has rock solid framerate across the board. In fact I've done the exact opposite when talking to dark10x about it, pointing out that it's anything but. At the same time it's not 60fps for 10 seconds either.

Also, I asked this in the console screenshot thread, but didn't really get a good answer. Did Driveclub get an AF boost in the latest patch or something? Some of the ground textures look sharper than I remember from older screenshots.

I was playing last night and the IQ looks improved all over. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so just figured I was remembering incorrectly.

Javin98

Banned
I was playing last night and the IQ looks improved all over. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so just figured I was remembering incorrectly.
I don't know about AA, but I think AF was improved. The road textures in the distance especially look significantly sharper than I remember. I'm still waiting for confirmation from the posters here who frequently take photos of Driveclub.

Do your guys really think that a game with VR support won't have a solid framerate? I doubt GTS will have nearly as much problem as PS3 GTs.

I had the exact same impression =]

Noobcraft

No. You got an answer in the console screenshot thread that shows it's exactly the same as it was before.

velociraptor

Is this a setting you can change ingame? Or would you be required to toggle your PS3 itself to 720p each time you wanted to play some GT?

Yea. but then we also know via precedence that the reveals and trailers aren't necessary (and in Gran Turismo's and Forza's cases.. very rarely) what the final game looks like on your console.

My copy of Gran Turismo 5 sure as hell doesn't look like this for example.

The assets in GTS don't even look super detailed like Driveclub.

The lighting and shaders is what sets the game apart. But I am hoping 1080p60 with some decent AA can go along way.

Of course we will never reach the downsampled quality of the GT trailers. The game would look insane if it were to actually look like that though. I remember the IQ in GT5 and GT6 took a big hit - even over GT5p which looked superb.

The assets in GTS don't even look super detailed like Driveclub.

I'm not sure what you mean about super detailed. The only real closeups we get are these, and I don't see them lacking compared to anything in DC

vlcsnap-2015-10-31-07ptqv3.png

vlcsnap-2015-10-31-07sbp7b.png

vlcsnap-2015-10-31-07zls4c.png

vlcsnap-2015-10-31-07m3qil.png

vlcsnap-2015-10-31-07ayrkp.png

vlcsnap-2015-10-31-0771o0h.png

We really don't see enough of the tracks to judge one way or the other. But i'd imagine DC would come out on top there just from the standpoint that they can do whatever they want with their tracks. PD's real world tracks at least have to be FIA certified, which means everything they place around the track has to be accurate to what it looks like in real life.

nkarafo

The effect when you get out of a tunnel and everything is blindingly bright for a second.

How is it called? Is there a way to disable it in PC games like Project Cars?

It's one the worst and most obnoxious visual effects of the last couple generations.

John Wick

We haven't seen any actual Gameplay of GTS so there's no point in speculating it will be visually better than current graphics king DC.
But PD are wizards and i think they struggled with PS3 development like alot of other Japanese devs. So hopefully this will be a return to form with a much easier to develop environment.

Watevaman

The effect when you get out of a tunnel and everything is blindingly bright for a second.

It's one the worst and most obnoxious visual effects of the last couple generations.

It's HDR lighting.

Ok now i'm confused...

HDR means just that - a wide range of lighting between dark and light, which results in a more accurate representation of how an area would look to the human eye. In most videogames this is backwards as the range is extremely low, resulting in bright areas appearing as almost completely white...yet it's still called HDR.

Sini

Since anyone else didn't actually read your post: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(eye)
It's not HDR what he means, it's light adaption, when going from dark place to bright and vice versa.

Top Bottom