• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Sini

Thanks.

I'm sure this thing may exist in real life but i suppose it's 99% more subtle than in modern racing games. It also made Advanced Warfare pretty much unplayable to me in some missions.
It does, if you have ever left a dark basement to sunny outside you have noticed this. But it's more subtle indeed.
Also why the heck does Gaf break this link?
Edit: fixed it.

eso76

The lighting engine is phenomenal and unparalleled.

I don't know, this gif looks great but the pics I've seen of the cars on the track don't look all that, frankly.

74ckfv.png

This, for example, looks kind of Forza-ish.
We have seen too little of GTS, and the little we've seen might not be what the game ends up looking like anyway.

But it is lacking SSR the way its used in DC :/ I thought for sure PD would want to have it in their game. Maybe just photo travel

Shin-Ra

I've been framing through the HQ trailer and there's several shots where the parts of the cars fully in focus don't look supersampled in the traditional PD manner.

I don't know, this gif looks great but the pics I've seen of the cars on the track don't look all that, frankly.

This, for example, looks kind of Forza-ish.
We have seen too little of GTS, and the little we've seen might not be what the game ends up looking like anyway.

But it is lacking SSR the way its used in DC :/ I thought for sure PD would want to have it in their game. Maybe just photo travel

The lighting on the Audi looks a bit flat, probably due to spatial and materialistic attributes.

eso76

Lol, you said the same thing when GT6 was revealed. In the end GT6 lighting it's still more realistic than most current gen games.

It amazes me that people still doubt Polyphony's lighting artists after all these years.

Well, that's remarkably coherent of me, i'm impressed.

Actually, yeah I remember thinking GT6 lighting was a small step back compared to GT5.
Never seen the game in person, so i don't know if it was just the screens, but i'm sure i heard it elsewhere.

Since you like digging up old posts, you'll find that i've always commented on GT6 looking absolutely nuts and still having more realistic lighting and materials than most current gen games otherwise, and trusting that next gen GT would destroy its competitors in terms of photorealism.
Some of these pics show a slightly less convincing lighting solution than what i was expecting is all

Expected to be blown away by GTS, no doubt I will down the line but it's looking dull and realistic, there's not a lot else to say.

That Audi shot isn't very good at all.

Synth

Expected to be blown away by GTS, no doubt I will down the line but it's looking dull and realistic, there's not a lot else to say.

This is an inherent handicap for pretty much any racer focused on real-world race locations. They tend not to be set so multiple trees of death are at arms length all around the course.

HTupolev

Except that in real life it's not so intense when you exit a tunnel. Unless my eyes work differently than other people, i can barely notice it in real life. Of course, i'm talking about our eyes, not a camera.
Your eyes have an alright static contrast range. You can look at a dark tunnel and a sunlit exterior simultaneously, the latter being WAAAAAAAAY brighter, and capture details in both.

TVs have a pretty poor static contrast range. Even if the tunnel is represented as being fairly dim, if the exterior is accurately-lit then it will be much brighter than the white level of your TV. So, with an accurate renderer, it winds up blown out.

Older games dodge this for two reasons:
The main reason is that the lighting was very handmade and unrealistic. Artists just sort of set things up to feel right and look good, without any real-world reference. The on-screen results are extremely low-contrast compared with real life.
The secondary reason is that CRTs had better static contrast than most LCDs. The difference between bright and dark regions could be bigger. You still can't achieve realistic contrasts, but you can do better than you can with mass-produced LCD panels. I suspect this is why lots of old games look dull on modern televisions; they were authored with punchier displays in mind.

This of course raises the question of what better-captures reality: a simulation based directly on real-world behavior, or a simulation adjusted for experiential expectations (i.e. force lower contrast so that you can see what you think you should be able to see, even if the luminance is inaccurate).

eso76

HDR means luminosity values for your, lets say, polygons have a much greater range than 0-255 (your TV's black and white).

If 255 is your room's wall color (in good lighting conditions) you need values that are orders of magnitude greater than that to express the brightness of the sun, and you need values in the middle for objects that are in direct sunlight and outdoors. Your TV can only display a limited range at once; values that are out of the 0-255 range will be displayed as black or white but it's crucial that these values exist as properties for every surface in your 3D scene, because they are used for lighting calculations. It's crucial for GI, image based lighting and even reflections. But googling HDRi and HDR reflection maps images is a lot more eloquent than any explanation, really.

That "eyes/camera adjusting to light" effect when coming out of a tunnel is just a side effect of this.

Glomby

Its funny cause its really true, they put that extra effort into making something look unreal when they shouldn't.

It's not true. HDR in video games is perfectly fine.

The reason why HDR in photography seems to be exactly the other way around is because it's impossible to simulate the dynamic adjustments our eyes make in a photo. In real life we get the whole range because we can dynamicly adjust. This is why HDR in photography just tries to capture every detail into one picture. You either lose details or you capture them all.

HDR in games howerer is also perfectly realistic, because you can actually simulate the dynamic adjustments. Photos and games are just different things, thats why HDR works differently, but it does the same thing in both photos and games.

HTupolev

That "eyes/camera adjusting to light" effect when coming out of a tunnel is just a side effect of this.
Automatic exposure changes aren't really a "side"-effect, more like something you're going to have to implement if you want your realistically-lit high-contrast environments to be intelligible.

It's not true. HDR in video games is perfectly fine.

The reason why HDR in photography seems to be exactly the other way around is because it's impossible to simulate the dynamic adjustments our eyes make in a photo. In real life we get the whole range because we can dynamicly adjust. This is why HDR in photography just tries to capture every detail into one picture. You either lose details or you capture them all.

HDR in games howerer is also perfectly realistic, because you can actually simulate the dynamic adjustments. Photos and games are just different things, thats why HDR works differently, but it does the same thing in both photos and games.
The difference is that HDR in photography refers to a way of compressing a wide range to a smaller range, whereas HDR in games refers to using a wide range in the first place in the process of generating an image.

"Non-HDR" photography is still "HDR" in the sense that "HDR" is used when talking about game rendering.

eso76

Automatic exposure changes aren't really a "side"-effect, more like something you're going to have to implement if you want your realistically-lit high-contrast environments to be intelligible.

Uhmm...yes, and i'll still call it a side effect, as in, it's not the main purpose or effect of HDR.
A lot of people think HDR is there to "simulate being blinded by the sun when you come out of a tunnel".
This is not the reason why HDR is there. This is (one of) the results of HDR being there.

Man...where is my modern-day Stunts/4D Racing running on current-gen engines??

I'm not great at picking apart graphics but man DriveClub looks amazing.

I'm just hoping GTS has that awesome smoke and dirt/dust kickup that GT5 had. Also a weather system and look very similar to that of Driveclub. And dynamic lighting and time of day for every single track. Hell, weather for every track too. And for the love of god, a livery system like Forza. I want to make a ridiculous
ly amazing
looking car!

I'm sure I'm setting myself for disappointment. A man can dream!

Fnord

Except that in real life it's not so intense when you exit a tunnel. Unless my eyes work differently than other people, i can barely notice it in real life. Of course, i'm talking about our eyes, not a camera.

It depends on where the sun is when you exit said tunnel. It actually happened to me the other day coming home from work (not a tunnel, but a canopy of trees). I had to put my hand up to see at all. And I sort of grinned to myself and thought about the times I've seen the same effect in Gran Turismo.

plainr_

But it is intense as heck in real life. Even coming out a short tunnel.

adelante

But it is intense as heck in real life. Even coming out a short tunnel.
Both of this is actually true. If you drive in real life, youd know to keep your eyes on the road ahead so when you're approaching the tunnel exit your eyes would've naturally adjusted to the lighting outside to a certain degree (and your peripheral view darkens) because that's where your focus is or should be. Unless that tunnel exit is just after a bend which means your eyes have little time to adjust. Cameras and Games don't really do an accurate job with this because the light metering is based on the overall scene, not what your eyes are actually focusing on.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Makes no sense the context a videos. I'd like you to take your smartphone camera and move from a dark area to a bright area. Things get over exposed during the transition and that's exactly how our the iris in our eyes work. And DRIVECLUB only does this in certain conditions e.g when the sun is directly illuminating the outside of the tunnel.

eso76

Makes no sense the context a videos. I'd like you to take your smartphone camera and move from a dark area to a bright area.

Eh, smartphone cameras probably capture between 3 and 5 f-spots of luminosity.
For reference, your eyes can see anywhere from 10-14 f-stops of instantaneous dynamic range. Instantaneous, meaning if you DON'T allow your pupils to adjust.
If you take pupils adjusting to different lighting conditions into account, then your eyes have a range exceeding 24 f-stops.

A TV should be able to display around 8 f-spots

For reference;
Compact cameras capture 5-7 stops
DSLR capture 8-12 stops: If you shoot in RAW, you'll see that you can increase or decrease exposure in post, so that stuff that appeared as pitch black/solid white on your monitor, becomes visible. The detail has been captured, it's just out of your TV/Monitor's range.

A scene with a dynamic range of 3 f-stops has a white that is 8X as bright as its black (2^3 = 2x2x2 = 8)

HDR photography means taking multiple pictures at different exposures, to capture the entire range.

Now, for your CG scene, you need a much larger ratio between maximum and minimum light intensities than your tv can display at once. So it becomes inevitable that the game needs to adjust to the range that should be visible on your TV at any given time. It cannot display the inside of a tunnel and a bright noon sky at the same time; not if their luminosity values are physically accurate. And you want them to be accurate because they affect how lighting is calculated.

I suppose you could post process your image so that values are crushed within the 0-255 range before displaying it.

Woodchipper

Given the GT6's legacy I have no doubts that GTS will look at least as good as in the trailer. I expect unprecedent visuals from PD in PS4.

hsamwhfaib.gif
We are in for a treat from PD this gen, no doubt, but I really hope they've finally ditched the PS2 cars. I've said this before and I'll say it again: I rather have 50 cars that all looks amazing than 1000 cars of which more than 50% looks like crap. Quality/consistency beats quantity if you ask me.

As for the GIF you posted, yes, the replays in GT6 STILL looks nuts. PD are the gods of photo realism, period.

Tripolygon

Banned
In the context of that specific video, the surfaces and general lighting in NFS come across better, but the lighting/weather/atmospherics are different half the time.
At no point in that video did surfaces and general lighting of NFS look better than DC. The lighting in NFS looks so unrealistic compared to DC and it doesn't help that they have so many postprocess effects in NFS and the lighting is some worth static since it ranges from around 7PM to midnight.

I know it is a terrible comparison because i just downloaded the video off youtube and took screenshots of a few random frames using vlc.

Top Bottom