• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

I think the environment looks really good in NFS. The filters and dark lighting give it a realistic look. The car models, however don't look all that great to me. DC definitely wins there. The audio in DC also sounds a lot better. It's more rich, more full.

I'd say DC is still graphics king by a good margin (especially once you factor in lighting, weather effects), but NFS is still quite the looker.

benzy

Played the beta, looks like environment lighting is all baked in NFS. Also can't recall any shadow casting from any light sources outside of your headlights, even in city parts with twilight lighting when the sun was peaking out. Seems they mask the lack of environment shadows with AO, works well with the time of day they're going for.

M52B28

Banned
Nope, not even a lil.
Driveclub's cars don't sound very accurate. Generally, they sound like they have a high pass filter applied.

They don't sound bad in some standpoints, but from what I've notice, it seems like they've somewhat mimicked what Polophony Digital has done with their engine sounds.

Like GT5/6, some cars sound more accurate, but some sound like they've gotten less love. Considering I've heard some of the cars from Driveclub in real life, and on tracks multiple times, I can say that many cars miss an entire spectrum of sound.

Coroner

Banned
Nope, not even a lil.

Yep, it has that slight Gran Turismo sound, obviously its nowhere near as bad but the NFS version sounds way more true to life.

Graphically I prefer Driveclub but both look stunning in different ways, NFS goes for a more filmic high filter looks while Driveclub strives for photorealism and succeeds in almost every way. Shame about the IQ and AF though.

Yep, it has that slight Gran Turismo sound, obviously its nowhere near as bad but the NFS version sounds way more true to life.

Graphically I prefer Driveclub but both look stunning in different ways, NFS goes for a more filmic high filter looks while Driveclub strives for photorealism and succeeds in almost every way. Shame about the IQ and AF though.

I have to ask what do you mean by "it has that slight GT sound?"

I know that DC's sounds have a good reputatiion here on GAF, but I would agree that they are far from the best. Many cars just don't sound like the real thing to me.

Saying that NFS beats DC in graphics is pretty much a joke though. That game is just full of horrible filters and has a weird art direction. On top it seems to be a crap game.

I'm a huge fan of PGR, DC's weather effects and atmospheric looks are really amazing. I wish they'd pull a "Black" and make a different game with the engine.

But I have to say, NFS looks phenomenal for a multiplat game. While I think DC is overall superior, NFS is a close second imo.

NFS is definitely better looking than DC, though I don't think it's a better game. At least currently anyway.

The Lambo definitely sounds better in NFS, a lot of Driveclub's cars sound a little vacuumy.

mkMFDRo.gif

NFS also doesnt have modeled cockpits if im not mistaken.

I think you're right, so that could explain why the car models look extremely detailed from outside ( like when you're modding your in the garage) because they might have spent the interior polygon budget on it.

Tripolygon

Banned
Driveclub's cars don't sound very accurate. Generally, they sound like they have a high pass filter applied.

They don't sound bad in some standpoints, but from what I've notice, it seems like they've somewhat mimicked what Polophony Digital has done with their engine sounds.

Like GT5/6, some cars sound more accurate, but some sound like they've gotten less love. Considering I've heard some of the cars from Driveclub in real life, and on tracks multiple times, I can say that many cars miss an entire spectrum of sound.
I understand if you think some of the cars don't sound accurate which is true in some cases but DC does not sound like GT and it certainly sounds better than NFS in this video comparison and, NFS sounds like it is muffled in both comparison. Every car has a distinct sound in DC and it changes based on the position of the camera so i don't think attention to detail was lacking considering how much detail they put into the game.

Define slight GT sound because to me GT sounds like a vacuum and very thin and that is not DC and DC has some of the richest sounding cars. NFS like i said above sound muffled and very monotonous like a low pass filter was used to filter out all the high frequency sounds in that comparison, hell DC sound overpowered NFS when both are played simultaneously.
This is DC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CW21zC9YWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EJiHEsh7PM
This is GT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6i6g2ZDzCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Q1Ra8CsBU

Woodchipper

The DC sound defenders are hilarious. Yes, I admit that to say it sounds as bad as GT is a slight exaggeration, but it DOES sound pretty much like shit. To say that only a few cars sounds inaccurate is ridiculous when it's in fact the other way around. I have the game, and I have yet to find car that sounds even slightly close to the real thing.

I understand if you think some of the cars don't sound accurate which is true in some cases but DC does not sound like GT and it certainly sounds better than NFS in this video comparison and, NFS sounds like it is muffled in both comparison. Every car has a distinct sound in DC and it changes based on the position of the camera so i don't think attention to detail was lacking considering how much detail they put into the game.

I agree, NFS sound wise from playing both games it isn't even close. For me the only problem with DC car sounds is the mixing, there is a bit too much focus on the mechanical mid range, the highs are a bit too close to the mids especially with the hypers and can make certain cars sound a bit flat depending on the set up but the difference of the highs to the mids on the Alpine (that is a loud car) are where more of the hypers should be but with deeper lows you would expect from the more powerful engines. The lows are there and they are very good but it depends on your set up. it also is much better if you change the settings to 2dB+ for the engines. Forza I feel has too much focus on the highs in sacrifice to the mids and an unrealistic interior sounds but the overall clarity of the highs are better and I prefer the location based sounds in F6 compared to other games, though feel overdone in the interior but that is consistent across the whole game and is a clear design choice. The overall breadth of sounds per car in DC is better there are a few cars in DC that aren't up to the quality of the others and the newer cars have been better than the older. Don't like the DC bike sounds though they are totally off, accurate recording but the low mids and highs are all wrong.

The DC sound defenders are hilarious. Yes, I admit that to say it sounds as bad as GT is a slight exaggeration, but it DOES sound pretty much like shit. To say that only a few cars sounds inaccurate is ridiculous when it's in fact the other way around. I have the game, and I have yet to find car that sounds even slightly close to the real thing.
You are objectively wrong.

Tripolygon

Banned
Slight exaggeration is an understatement of DC sounding like GT. Complete stupidity is saying DC sounds like shit.

Aceofspades

Banned
In one hand we have Mercedes and BMW replace their sound libraries with the ones produced by EVO for Driveclub because its so accurate.

In the other hand we have random internet posters saying DC sound production is so shit and inaccurate. Notice that these posters never owned 99% of cars argued here so they have no idea how it should sound.

Im so conflicted I don't know whom to believe! /s

viHuGi

Banned

i cant even.

Do you have the cars too?

Hilarious indeed.

Jellzy

Neo Member
In one hand we have Mercedes and BMW replace their sound libraries with the ones produced by EVO for Driveclub because its so accurate.

In the other hand we have random internet posters saying DC sound production is so shit and inaccurate. Notice that these posters never owned 99% of cars argued here so they have no idea how it should sound.

Just to back up your post.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...the-most-realistic-sounding-racing-game-ever/

Have a read of some of the articles in regards to sound design in Driveclub. These posts suggesting that the sound isn't any better than that in GT are wildly off the mark.

M52B28

Banned

Just because we don't own the cars doesn't mean we can't judge the sounds of them in game. Like I've said, I've heard plenty of the cars in this game go flat out. I've even driven some of them. They just don't sound good.

You can argue that all you want, but from what I've heard in real life and in this game, it's basically true.

If anything, the main thing that disappoints me in DC is the sound. In the low end, it sounds rather nice, but in the highs like someone has mentioned, it sounds like I am literally hearing a hint of vaccum. As someone else here has also said, they focused on the mechanical/sounds in the background a bit too much. The backfires and grunts from the engine sound like they're dominant compared to the acual output of the exhaust. To say that NFS has worse sounds is an absolute joke.

Do you have the cars too?

Hilarious indeed.
Just a pointless post. Go to an autocross, track day or even a car event. If you're nice or experienced, some people will let you drive or even get a ride along.

It's like some of you aren't capable of understanding how loud cars are and how their engines sound, but what am I to say, I'm in the minority of thoughts in this thread.

Jamesways

DC, NFS... Graphics, sound. Pfft!

All pale in comparison to WRC5.
Not serious at all

Behold the rally!
21770599663_88c13ce401_o.jpg

21768930254_7a84d76ae8_o.jpg

22003990450_9606270bdc_o.jpg

22162949595_f1a077c912_o.jpg

22203699470_64a4efacb9_o.jpg

Great DC bike shots AbandonedTrolley! Will post some helmet cam shots soon too.

Coroner

Banned

Define slight GT sound because to me GT sounds like a vacuum and very thin and that is not DC and DC has some of the richest sounding cars. NFS like i said above sound muffled and very monotonous like a low pass filter was used to filter out all the high frequency sounds in that comparison, hell DC sound overpowered NFS when both are played simultaneously.
This is DC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CW21zC9YWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EJiHEsh7PM
This is GT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6i6g2ZDzCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Q1Ra8CsBU

I said slight because obviously DC sounds a lot better than GT, but still sounds worse than NFS to me, the Huracan example is the best example. Driveclub sounds like a high reving v10 while wearing ear muffs. While the NFS sound is definitely exaggerated it sounds much closer to the real sound in third person view, Driveclubs sounds a lot more convincing in cockpit cam as it makes sense to have some muffling.

DC, NFS... Graphics, sound. Pfft!
How is the game? I played the first few WRC games but fell off after the instalments not really doing anything worth while. I spose after Dirt Rally this game will fall pretty short?

John Wick

Maybe you overdue a hearing test?

When it comes to sounds people are just not going to agree on certain things .
What i do notice is some people don't like that the cars going to sound different depending on camera view.
But that is just a matter a fact and should be that way no matter the game which cause disagreements .

He said DC sounds like shit. But that's not a silly thing to say though is it?

How do you explain the fact that Mercedes and BMW replaced their sound libraries with Evolutions?

Because the samples that Evo record =/= the final product. The sounds themselves might be the best recordings ever made, but with whatever EQ the sound engine does to it, the final product can still end up sounding like shit.

Like I said, they could be the best recordings in the world, but everything besides the V10s (which also sound bad but in their own way) sounds like a muffled, whirry I4.

Conduit

Banned

I think car sound in DC are pretty accurate ( 458 Italia sound comparison ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxKor9IZoQ

Top Bottom