• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Synth

Man, I was giving you the point. haha. But even you are saying it doesnt move and its playing peekaboo hide n seek. :D

Yes. I'm not here looking to lie to win an internet argument. My point from the start has been that whilst Forza 7 has a dynamic ToD, it's built on top of a bunch of static systems the prevent it from portraying a full cycle. The ToD itself is just the end result, but it doesn't extend to everything that should logically cause it to happen in real life.

It is very much cheating to arrive at the effect... but so are the majority of the dynamic systems we see in games, as per my previous examples about rain in something like GT5.

c0de

Yes. I'm not here looking to lie to win an internet argument. My point from the start has been that whilst Forza 7 has a dynamic ToD, it's built on top of a bunch of static systems the prevent it from portraying a full cycle. The ToD itself is just the end result, but it doesn't extend to everything that should logically cause it to happen in real life.

It is very much cheating to arrive at the effect... but so are the majority of the dynamic systems we see in games, as per my previous examples about rain in something like GT5.

All games cheat in the end. Many racing games have 16 ms to render a frame. Sometimes we have to remember this metric to realize that the best devs achieve the best results by doing the best job in faking.
Of course you can talk about taking humidity into account for calculations but let's be real: this most likely means there is a variable or at best a struct with data in it that is part of a small equation that almost adds nothing to the rendering budget but apparently it works for the fanbase to believe in that.

KageMaru

You can’t see because it doesnt move at all... it is static.

Last gen had perfect dynamic weather and ToD so why we can’t have it this gen? Why have baked weather and ToD?

That is my biggest complain with GTS.

When Forza’s devs said the 7 version will have dynamic weather system I thought it was a point over the downgrade GT had but it turned out it is not... the PR dynamic weather was just PR after all.

Forza 7 has a pre-defined/baked weather system with no real time time simulation... that is the impression I have.

I don't think it's pre-defined. If it were, the weather systems would kick in at the same time just like what we saw in the demo. Just because the sun is not a light source, that doesn't mean there aren't simulations in place. Your labeling these systems in very specific terms and while Forza may not fit that exact definition, the end result is still convincing and that's all that should matter in the end. The rain starts at random points, puddles form, the lighting is effected, and the physics are altered. If that's not a form of simulation, I don't know what is.

Also just like with PC2, there was a cost to the implementation you're referring to last gen, and that was to frame rate. So again, if a method is used to give a similar effect but keep resolution and performance, why is this seen as a bad thing? Regardless of how it's implemented, the developers still had to take different lighting and weather conditions into consideration when creating assets. It's also more taxing on the hardware with these systems than a race with static lighting and weather.

Not really sure why this continues to be a big deal.

Synth

All games cheat in the end. Many racing games have 16 ms to render a frame. Sometimes we have to remember this metric to realize that the best devs achieve the best results by doing the best job in faking.
Of course you can talk about taking humidity into account for calculations but let's be real: this most likely means there is a variable or at best a struct with data in it that is part of a small equation that almost adds nothing to the rendering budget but apparently it works for the fanbase to believe in that.

Yea, exactly. People are up in here talking about time passage being tied to race progress rather than time, as though that'd be something more than comparing the variable that tells you you're 85% complete in a sprint race in Driveclub, rather than the variable that tells you you've been racing for 228 seconds in the same game. None of this shit is magic, and none of it is really concerned with being accurate to how things really work. All that matters is that the result on-screen conveys what it is supposed to.

We don't ask about measuring the inches of raining if you set Driveclub to downpour and walk away from your PS4 for 12 hours. The height will be 0, at all times... but that doesn't imply static weather in the game.

eso76

Yeah I'm not sure what people think when they read simulated weather.
Some probably think it simulates water evaporating to form clouds, high and low pressure areas and cold air currents travelling across the globe.

It can go from dry to rain and dry again, and rain can have many different intensities. Road gets wet, then dries as (and where) cars race on it.
How that is happens is not the point here, the system is in place. It could be random, could be fixed, it could be time based, or based on actual weather data retrieved from the location where the race is taking place. There's nothing preventing it from a technical pov.

They simply had to tie it with race progression because you can set races length in career mode, and with 2 laps races you'd never see the weather change, but all the arguing about when or how it does happen is only relevant from a gameplay perspective at most.
The thechnical aspect, which is what is being discussed in this thread, is not in question.

Synth

Last gen had perfect dynamic weather and ToD so why we can't have it this gen? Why have baked weather and ToD?

If last gen had "perfect" dynamic weather. Show me GT5's puddles built up by the rain. You can't, because it was effectively just shaders applied to the road surface and windscreen/camera, with a universal grip reduction and zero water height (same as Driveclub). There's no such thing as perfect dynamic simulation of real-world elements in games of today. We fake everything, especially lighting. We wouldn't even be discussing the different implementations of reflections and the like if we were doing that shit "perfectly".

Snubbers

I don't think it's pre-defined. If it were, the weather systems would kick in at the same time just like what we saw in the demo. Just because the sun is not a light source, that doesn't mean there aren't simulations in place. Your labeling these systems in very specific terms and while Forza may not fit that exact definition, the end result is still convincing and that's all that should matter in the end. The rain starts at random points, puddles form, the lighting is effected, and the physics are altered. If that's not a form of simulation, I don't know what is.

Also just like with PC2, there was a cost to the implementation you're referring to last gen, and that was to frame rate. So again, if a method is used to give a similar effect but keep resolution and performance, why is this seen as a bad thing? Regardless of how it's implemented, the developers still had to take different lighting and weather conditions into consideration when creating assets. It's also more taxing on the hardware with these systems than a race with static lighting and weather.

It isn't a big deal except in this thread, one thing I've learnt over the years is this thread attracts those who seemingly just like to stare at photomode and scapes/Forzavista and I'm OK with that, trying not to get suckered into the sillyness, while on the other hand it's nice to see just what mix of graphics each title brings.

Is no surprise that this thread loves GT,Kaz is also obsessed with photography, and clearly will sacrifice car count, a career mode, locked framerates and even weather (at launch at least) to create fodder for this thread. That won't stop me enjoying GTS, but it's the sole reason I end up playing FM, PCars2 as well, no one makes the complete racer that is worthy of being the only one.

Synth

Yeah I'm not sure what people think when they read simulated weather.
Some probably think it simulates water evaporating to form clouds, high and low pressure areas and cold air currents travelling across the globe.

It can go from dry to rain and dry again, and rain can have many different intensities. Road gets wet, then dries as (and where) cars race on it.
How that is happens is not the point here, the system is in place. It could be random, could be fixed, it could be time based, or based on actual weather data retrieved from the location where the race is taking place. There's nothing preventing it from a technical pov.

They simply had to tie it with race progression because you can set races length in career mode, and with 2 laps races you'd never see the weather change, but all the arguing about when or how it does happen is only relevant from a gameplay perspective at most.
The thechnical aspect, which is what is being discussed in this thread, is not in question.

It's generally because the marketing departments go out of their way to make everything sound as magical and bleeding edge as possible. So you get shit like Playground Games talking about mathematically correct rainbows in Forza Horizon 2.

c0de

It's generally because the marketing departments go out of their way to make everything sound as magical and bleeding edge as possible. So you get shit like Playground Games talking about mathematically correct rainbows in Forza Horizon 2.

I remember reading from Gran Turismo (I don't remember which entry, though, potentially one from PS2) where PD claimed they were using molecules to simulate the tyres. This is obvious bullshit but it sticks to certain people and it worked and still works.

Grassy

You can’t see because it doesnt move at all... it is static.

Last gen had perfect dynamic weather and ToD so why we can’t have it this gen? Why have baked weather and ToD?

When Forza’s devs said the 7 version will have dynamic weather system I thought it was a point over the downgrade GT had but it turned out it is not... the PR dynamic weather was just PR after all.

Forza 7 has a pre-defined/baked weather system with no real time time simulation... that is the impression I have.

Forza 7 has dynamic weather. It changes as you race. Whether it uses pre-baked transitions or not, it's still dynamic. Just accept it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn uses a similar system of multiple pre-baked transitions for it's ToD and weather, yet I can't recall anyone trying to downplay it as if it wasn't dynamic...I wonder if that's because it's a Sony exclusive?

KageMaru

It isn't a big deal except in this thread, one thing I've learnt over the years is this thread attracts those who seemingly just like to stare at photomode and scapes/Forzavista and I'm OK with that, trying not to get suckered into the sillyness, while on the other hand it's nice to see just what mix of graphics each title brings.

Is no surprise that this thread loves GT,Kaz is also obsessed with photography, and clearly will sacrifice car count, a career mode, locked framerates and even weather (at launch at least) to create fodder for this thread. That won't stop me enjoying GTS, but it's the sole reason I end up playing FM, PCars2 as well, no one makes the complete racer that is worthy of being the only one.

I couldn't agree more. Every game will have some strengths and weaknesses.

Forza 7 has dynamic weather. It changes as you race. Whether it uses pre-baked transitions or not, it's still dynamic. Just accept it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn uses a similar system of multiple pre-baked transitions for it's ToD and weather, yet I can't recall anyone trying to downplay it as if it wasn't dynamic...I wonder if that's because it's a Sony exclusive?

Yeah I don't get it. If Forza had static times of day or weather like Forza 6 while GTS used systems similar to Forza 7, I wouldn't be focusing on how they came to the end results.

Fredrik

You can't see because it doesnt move at all... it is static.

Last gen had perfect dynamic weather and ToD so why we can't have it this gen? Why have baked weather and ToD?

When Forza's devs said the 7 version will have dynamic weather system I thought it was a point over the downgrade GT had but it turned out it is not... the PR dynamic weather was just PR after all.

My guess, because the original consoles are too weak for the dynamic techs at 1080p and 60fps and the new consoles are too weak for 4K, dynamic tech and 60fps. And the PC versions are ports of the console versions and held back by what the consoles can handle, which is why we have 2D trees even when gaming at 1080p on an i7 1080ti PC rig.

As for the dynamic techs. In the end, does it matter? I just played FM7 and had a short race of 5 laps, it started out sunny and ended in rain. Do I have to care about how the dynamic weather actually works? It looked great, sounded great and felt great. why do I have to dig deeper and search for faults?

l2ounD

I havent played Horizon, maybe someday. But just searching on youtube gave me this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCv_CObcaI

And seeing the sun and moon move across the sky casting shadows I think you are using a bad example

I remember reading from Gran Turismo (I don't remember which entry, though, potentially one from PS2) where PD claimed they were using molecules to simulate the tyres. This is obvious bullshit but it sticks to certain people and it worked and still works.

My fav recent PR thing is the power of the cloud!

Behlel

You haven't read nothing because it's false what you're saying.

Putty

Confirmed then? That's a shame....

Putty

Must be soldier.

Grassy

I havent played Horizon, maybe someday. But just searching on youtube gave me this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCv_CObcaI

And seeing the sun and moon move across the sky casting shadows I think you are using a bad example

It uses multiple pre-baked settings to transition from day to night. You can literally pause the gameplay at any moment and go into photomode and select any ToD you want on-the-fly, (which is pretty cool IMO). Not sure how it's a bad example.

You haven't read nothing because it's false what you're saying.

Oh really?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-forza-motorsport-7-xbox-one-x-true-4k-showcase

But just as impressive is the implementation of full dynamic lighting, allowing for gradual time of day transitions as well as a full-on weather system - all real-time now, as opposed to FM6's baked, static equivalents [UPDATE 17/6/17 2:20pm: we'll need to look at our captures more closely, but transitioning between multiple baked lighting models may be how Turn 10 has achieved this - it's an approach most recently seen in Horizon Zero Dawn]. During our Turn 10 visit, we could see how the developers could tweak lighting and weather on the fly during runtime, as easily as a movie colourist grades footage.

More Horizon stuff:

Horizon Zero Dawn Looks Unnaturally Good Because Of 'Hyper-Realism'

"But it was not a matter of turning the beauty to 11. It was a matter of removing anything less than a 9.5 on the epic nature scale. It's not a 'reality' simulation, it's all very controlled. If we like a certain amount of fog at a particular time-of-day because of the nice lighting effect it gave, we simply set it up so that amount of fog was the ONLY amount of fog ever allowed at that time of day. If we only liked a certain amount of snowfall, then that would be the only amount of snowfall ever allowed."

Beek noted that, in order to nail the aesthetic, they tweaked weather transitions to be faster so that the player never sees anything below a certain level of quality. You only ever see whatever looks best. Some of these visuals, such as the human settlements, are tailor-made, but Beek estimates that about 80% of Horizon's natural landscape is procedurally generated.

Sorry for derailing slightly, but there ya go...

l2ounD

It uses multiple pre-baked settings to transition from day to night. You can literally pause the gameplay at any moment and go into photomode and select any ToD you want on-the-fly, (which is pretty cool IMO). Not sure how it's a bad example.

What you're saying sounds pretty dynamic to me. In the video the sun moves casting dynamic shadows, you know expected dynamic ToD stuff. Even the moon looked pretty dynamic.

Where is that stuff in Forza? Which is why I called it a bad example

cyen

oEUvQIS.jpg

Lovely

Sebmugi

Yep, the worst shot out of literally hundreds and hundreds of top tier images, you picked a good un there chief...

Yes this is pretty much the only technical reproach that can be made with some shadows that flash a little too much in replays...
besides this sequence in 3D in the woods is the worst of all, they would do meiux to remove it ..

c0de

Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I mean, scapes look really absolutely amazing but of course that is completely unrelated to gameplay.

cyen

Yep, the worst shot out of literally hundreds and hundreds of top tier images, you picked a good un there chief...

I know, i was trolling a little bit. There is no perfect game as far as im aware, but since picking up on prelude was fine (even comparing it to Forza 4) i thought this one would be too :)

My apologies for ofending GTS, will not happen again.

ikr

1507112416-04-10-2017-10-56-44.png

Beautiful :)

Hey, at least maple valley is in :)

Theorry

Shame this thread became a thread of trying to make the worst pic or trying to find one to back up your opinion. Instead of some nice technical talk.

c0de

Shame this thread became a thread of trying to make the worst pic or trying to find one to back up your opinion. Instead of some nice technical talk.

This already happened when people posted pictures of the cardboard audience of Forza 5. When I posted the just as bad looking audience from eg Driveclub, the topic was quickly dropped.

Sebmugi

the rendering of the vegetation is really a problem in the racing games,either it is good for the race or it is bad at the stop .. this sequence in GT sport is clearly out of step with the rest of places without nature .. they should remove it for the final game

l2ounD

I know, i was trolling a little bit. There is no perfect game as far as im aware, but since picking up on prelude was fine (even comparing it to Forza 4) i thought this one would be too :)

My apologies for ofending GTS, will not happen again.

Hey, at least maple valley is in :)

Hey my trolls are usually in direct response to something else, if you want to talk about the low res reflections that cool

This thread is pretty much over now that GTS is releasing. The only things we can now discuss is how racing games keep having flicking shadows and low res reflections of the background/other cars.

cyen

Hey my trolls are usually in direct response to something else, if you want to talk about the low res reflections that cool

My point was that we can choose a random pic from any game to pinpoint inconsistencies, i dont know why GTS gets people so defensive that another good game cannot coexist.

Its GTS or nothing. I dont see it that way sorry, we are very lucky to have 3 great looking games that made theire choices in order to deliver what they wanted.

They will not be perfect and probably GTS will have the package upper hand in visuals (which i understand since there is a fraction of the content comparing to the other two games).

This thread is pretty much over now that GTS is releasing. The only things we can now discuss is how racing games keep having flicking shadows and low res reflections of the background/other cars.

Or lack of weather dynamics.

This already happened when people posted pictures of the cardboard audience of Forza 5. When I posted the just as bad looking audience from eg Driveclub, the topic was quickly dropped.

But the audience in Driveclub is great, I particular remember being in a really nasty crash that flipped my car right over, and they stood there cheering and applauding. They may be cruel but they're at least non-cardboard.

cyen

But the audience in Driveclub is great, I particular remember being in a really nasty crash that flipped my car right over, and they stood there cheering and applauding. They may be cruel but they're at least non-cardboard.

That was fast!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Forza 7 is no joke bru
And driveclub weather is still king

No, no one downplayed it because no one cares outside of this thread.

We can add Horizon into the shitlist if they add robot dinosaur racing into the game ;)

cooldawn

This is well put.

Both weather and ToD are dynamic, but whereas the weather has few notable shortcuts and limitations, the time of say has a lot of notable restrictions. This doesn't mean it's not dynamic, it just means more shortcuts are taken, and its range is limited.

To put it simply:

Static Race starts a 8pm in-game. You race for 6 hours. Race ends at 8pm in-game.
Dyanmic (Forza 7): Race starts at 8pm in-game . You race for 6 hours. Race ends at midnight in-game.
Dynamic (Project Cars 2): Race starts at 8pm in-game. You race for 6 hours. Race ends at 11am in-game.

Forza 7's ToD then has a limited dynamic range (owing to limitation with the lighting system), as opposed to Project Cars having a full dynamic range. Both are still dynamic however.
Since this discussion started I realise I’ve experienced/seen a few different systems the last couple of generations:

Full Dynamics/Fully Dynamic - synergistic systems directly affecting environmental conditions
Technicals: independent real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a simulated weather system
Games: Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, Project CARS, Project CARS 2, Driveclub, Forza Horizon 3

Others I can't really put a name to due to nuanced differences:

Technicals: Player-dependant real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a pre-defined weather system
Games: The Crew

Technicals: Player-dependent real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a simulated weather system
Games: Horizon Zero Dawn

Technicals: Player-dependent real-time non-light emitting source not interacting with objects tied to a pre-defined weather system
Games: Forza Motorsport 7

Technicals: Static real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a pre-defined weather system
Games: Gran Turismo Sport

Races are pre-defined pre-race. At the start the game chooses a path for time and weather and as the player drives around the circuit it changes according to that schedule i.e. the weather system doesn’t just decide to kick in randomly. There’s a specific set of pre-defined schedules for the game to choose from. If it was dynamic there would be a more equal share of race conditions. It’s done like that for a reason. Because the sun doesn’t actually move across the sky they use cloud cover to make the sun appear to be somewhere else.

Not sure about the puddles but it could also be part of the pre-defined rules of that particular schedule.

Scenes transition from one pre-defined state to another. Pre-defined/baked is not dynamic/fluid. Furthermore the changes are dependent on player activity. A dynamic system is not reliant an another system.

I think you're wrong about Horizon Zero Dawn. If you walk forward and backward you can literally see the shadows move back and fourth i.e. player dependent. That would unlikely work if it is pre-baked, right?

thelastword

Banned
No... just no...

Static = doesnt change

Dynamic = does change

It doesn't make a difference how or why it changes, simply changing is what makes it dynamic.

Also people claiming GT simulates full weather metrics when its "wet" racing is nothing more than a flat grip reduction 😂😂😂

Funny enough, the foliage is pretty stellar in that scene, it only look like that reflected off the car.....That car model however is just ......I think I've taken over 300 shots already.

We talking about wind , trees & changing weather

9908cb640cf00bd6689bd2aee22f0a9d.768x506x1.jpg

We kind of have to to still have discussion in this thread, as the winner right now is clear.

Forza 7 is no joke bru
And driveclub weather is still king

Forza 7 can't compete with GTS unless its IQ in which case high end PC should be better. True about DC but its other areas aren't as strong and the rain being best in DC has been known for a long time.

Thread had a good run.

Fredrik

Since this discussion started I realise I’ve experienced/seen a few different systems the last couple of generations:

Full Dynamics/Fully Dynamic - synergistic systems directly affecting environmental conditions
Technicals: independent real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a simulated weather system
Games: Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, Project CARS, Project CARS 2, Driveclub, Forza Horizon 3

Others I can't really put a name to due to nuanced differences:

Technicals: Player-dependant real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a pre-defined weather system
Games: The Crew

Technicals: Player-dependent real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a simulated weather system
Games: Horizon Zero Dawn

Technicals: Player-dependent real-time non-light emitting source not interacting with objects tied to a pre-defined weather system
Games: Forza Motorsport 7

Technicals: Static real-time light emitting source (sun) illuminating space and interacting with objects (shadows) tied to a pre-defined weather system
Games: Gran Turismo Sport

Races are pre-defined pre-race. At the start the game chooses a path for time and weather and as the player drives around the circuit it changes according to that schedule i.e. the weather system doesn’t just decide to kick in randomly. There’s a specific set of pre-defined schedules for the game to choose from. If it was dynamic there would be a more equal share of race conditions. It’s done like that for a reason. Because the sun doesn’t actually move across the sky they use cloud cover to make the sun appear to be somewhere else.

Not sure about the puddles but it could also be part of the pre-defined rules of that particular schedule.

Scenes transition from one pre-defined state to another. Pre-defined/baked is not dynamic/fluid. Furthermore the changes are dependent on player activity. A dynamic system is not reliant an another system.

I think you're wrong about Horizon Zero Dawn. If you walk forward and backward you can literally see the shadows move back and fourth i.e. player dependent. That would unlikely work if it is pre-baked, right?
Horizon Zero Dawn? What's this thread about again? Should we add BOTW and Witcher 3 to the discussion too? At least go with GTA instead where you can drive a car. :p

Top Bottom