• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL votes to move the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles for the 2016 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaonaut

Damn, end of an era. Well at least I got to go to one last game this year.

12063487_613893067097_8037562150058691458_n.jpg

I like how $100 million dollars was such a deal breaker for the St. Louis plan, but $100 million each for San Diego and Oakland is A-OK. Corrupt as shit.

johnny956

I feel bad for the St. Louis fans , they've lost 2 teams now.

Yea we need to get an MLS team now. I know the St. Louis Cardinals owner mentioned interest just didn't want to share a stadium with an NFL team. Our first year in the USL was successful attendance wise so that's probably our next goal

Parham

Banned
I like how $100 million dollars was such a deal breaker for the St. Louis plan, but $100 million each for San Diego and Oakland is A-OK. Corrupt as shit.

The best part is that $100 million isn't even close to enough to making stadium deals in SD or Oakland palatable.

najehe

Banned
I feel for Saint Louis fans. It is terrible when a team you love is ripped away and moved to another part of the country.

Nightz

Happy that Spanos is pissed off. He deserves it after the way he treated San Diego this past year. On the other hand, I hope this leads to a solution in San Diego.

Condolences to St. Louis fans. :(

Parham

Banned
The Chargers have until May to break their current lease. They'll either have to extend the deadline or make their decision before the vote in June.

I would love to see Davis do something insane and move his team to another country.

London Raiders
lol

"The Chargers have until the end of the league meetings March 20-23 to decide if they're playing in SD or Inglewood in 2016." - @MikeGarafolo

Wait, was this clause put in there just so that the Chargers can get the absolute most public funding out of San Diego?

Parham

Banned
"The Chargers have until the end of the league meetings March 20-23 to decide if they're playing in SD or Inglewood in 2016." - @MikeGarafolo

Wait, was this clause put in there just so that the Chargers can get the absolute most public funding out of San Diego?

The vote is planned for June. How do they expect to get any guarantee of public funding before then? Are they trying to force San Diego to vote on it in the next two months?

Fuck it, continue the farce and just have 4 teams in LA. Gotta have that extra slot for teams to hold cities hostage for more tax payer money.

The vote is planned for June. How do they expect to get any guarantee of public funding before then? Are they trying to force San Diego to vote on it in the next two months?

There's another vote happening? That tweet makes it sound like it'll be entirely up to the Chargers at that point.

Parham

Banned
Fuck it, continue the farce and just have 4 teams in LA. Gotta have that extra slot for teams to hold cities hostage for more tax payer money.

http://www.theonion.com/article/nfl-to-move-all-32-teams-to-los-angeles-1845

There's another vote happening? That tweet makes it sound like it'll be entirely up to the Chargers at that point.

Sorry, I mean it's up for public vote. San Diego proposed putting the stadium plan on the ballot this June. Assuming the Chargers are even remotely interested in staying in San Diego, it seems strange they would be required to make a decision that impacts the 2016-2017 season before then.

No, I think that deadline is just so there's no mystery where they're playing when OTAs/training camp/etc start up. It'd be weird, but it's conceivable they could leave for LA for a year, and then come back if a favorable deal is reached in SD.

The 2017 deadline is the extortion one.

Theoretically, what if both the Chargers and the Raiders told the NFL to fuck off and didn't move to LA? I mean it's not going to happen, but just curious.

Theoretically, what if both the Chargers and the Raiders told the NFL to fuck off and didn't move to LA? I mean it's not going to happen, but just curious.
Well, I think both the Chargers and Raiders want to move to LA. Or at least, to not San Diego and not Oakland, respectively.

But they could both get new stadiums and stay put. There are also theoretically other markets (San Antonio... and now St Louis) that might be able to put together a reasonable stadium bid.

I'm a Rams fan but I live far enough away that going to games isn't really viable.

So I guess now I am still a Rams fan? What's the proper etiquette in these situations? I am a St. Louis fan because my family is from St. Louis. Does this give me a free pass to cheer for any team now?

I guess, it is hard to know if the new Rams are still my Rams. My inclination is that I now cheer on the LA Rams... But man fuck LA.

Root for the chiefs. I think if the Jets ever left I'd probably root for the giants myself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rams have a little bitter history with the Bucs back when the Bucs were good, but it's a damn shame to see them move :\

Bastards know that won't even build the concession stands lol.

Spanos takes the hard L.

Here's the problem: Dean has to think really long and hard whether he wants to dump $100M (I bet you anything he gets the whole pot if he refuses and the Raiders accept) AND dump the $550,000,000 relocation fee to move in with Stan's plan when Stan Kroenke has almost no incentive whatsoever to offer either the Raiders or the Chargers a good deal. He's going to give them literally a rental option where he makes all of the money.

The popular sentiment all along with owners has been ONE team in LA because they don't believe the market can support it. Hence why they gave an "option" for them to join the Kroenke plan - they're technically giving SD and OAK what they want while in reality giving them super asshole deals because they're completely at Stan Kroenke's mercy whether they get anything that increases the value of their teams. The reason the plan goes so long is to give the SD and OAK franchises a credible threat over their home markets. They do NOT want to lose the threat of "team will move to LA" if they can avoid it.

Get a Kurt Warner jersey when he played for Arizona. That's bonus points there

I'll sleep on it but man, if I go this route, that's a perfect execution.

Root for the chiefs. I think if the Jets ever left I'd probably root for the giants myself.

That was my other thought. Someone above posted the three scenarios: stay with the Rams, pick a new random team, or pick a local team (Chiefs in this case). I honestly like the Cardinals for a few reasons (used to be in STL, same bird as the STL Cardinals, and I've always liked Kurt Warner albeit he wasn't there for that long)... But the Chiefs seem more logical overall.

Madness

Here's hoping eventually NFL owners and Americans also decide to move a team to Toronto. The 4th largest media and sports market in North America behind NY, LA, Chicago is Toronto.

You just know LA Rams would be THE team again. I think the Chargers should stay in San Diego, but I think the Oakland Raiders should move elsewhere.

For California residents, what kind of area is Inglewood these days? Traffic wise, community wise? Could you see a lot of people easily get to games? Tourists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom