• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Socreges

Banned
This actually seems pretty unfair for Canadian teams. Never thought of this.
Always been a factor. Was a factor yesterday when the Leafs signed Marleau, too. Only relevant now that the Habs failed to sign their own guy. 😉

kingslunk says the Canadian government should just tax less. That would fix everything.

Mentok

Banned
Radulov gone makes an already weak offense that much worse. Now they have to resign AGally (good luck mending that bridge), and BargainBin will do his usual "Let's see how this guy does" with Hemsky (and possibly 1 of Grigorenko or Yakupov). They better hope they can get Markov, otherwise they're s'ed in the b.

Stasis

Wonder if Bergevin makes a run at Kovalchuck now with Radulov gone.

Maybe. Though Kovalchuk said it was Rangers, Blue Jackets, or KHL.

I know Gorton reached out to Shero and was denied. Not that it really had any chance of succeeding or that it's anything we need. I wonder if the Jackets do it though... and he could be posturing too.

I just want a decent C and some depth guys.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit McDavid is a fucking savage

he was doing an interview with Greg Wyshynski, and they were talking about a Rangers jersey. Wysh mentioned that he won't compliment the Rangers because he's a Devils fan.

McDavid's response: "what's with these random teams? earlier I was talking to an Islanders fan, and now a Devils. I haven't really heard about those two teams in a while."

I eagerly await our signing of 36 year old Connor McDavid.

Socreges

Banned
Stars have good young D prospects, though, with Honka and Heiskanen. If Bishop has a few good years in him they'll be a top team

Solo

Radulov was always chasing the money. A total mercenary. Later bruh. Guarantee he'll be bought out long before 5 years.

Anyways,

In:
- Drouin
- Alzner
- Hemsky
- Holland
- Froese
- Taormina

Out:
- Radulov
- Sergachev
- Markov

WTF:
- $84M on a goalie
- 5 years on the job and still no 1C or 2C

What kind of blackmail does BargainBin have on Molson to allow such a pure trash GM keep his job?

Solo

we do have a #1 C, since they're going to put Drouin there for some fucking reason

What is absolutely hilarious is that AGally basically goes from the trade block to 2C.

You're right of course, they'll try Drouin at centre to likely disastrous effect.

Solo

This is what I see the Habs icing on opening night:

Casperetty-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Galchenyuk-Lehkonen
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw
Hudon-Mitchell-McCarron

Alzner-Weber
Jerabek-Petry
Schlemko-Benn

Price
Montoya

What a pure puke lineup top to bottom aside from the second line (defense be damned lol). That's probably a bottom 10 lineup across the whole league.

This is what I see the Habs icing on opening night:

Casperetty-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Galchenyuk-Lehkonen
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw
Hudon-Mitchell-McCarron

Alzner-Weber
Jerabek-Petry
Schlemko-Benn

Price
Montoya

What a pure puke lineup top to bottom aside from the second line (defense be damned lol). That's probably a bottom 10 lineup across the whole league.

We'll still make the playoffs cause Price.

So no top 10 pick.

Yay!

Solo

It must be exhausting being so dramatic all the time.

I'd LOVE to see you try to spin this offseason as anything other than disastrous.

It's like BargainBin pulled the Drouin trade off first in hopes that we'd all miss his series of blunders over the following 2 weeks because we'd still be fellating him over landing a brand spanking new french golden boy.

We'll still make the playoffs cause Price.

So no top 10 pick.

Yay!

This is the sad, depressing truth. Habs 2017-18 season will likely end the same as most other recent seasons - with a first round exit.

Here's what a predict: yet another scorching hot October. Habs will be like 10-2 out of the gate and fool everyone again into thinking they might be legit. Then yet another midseason slump and yet another limp to the playoffs on Price's back. And finally another harsh dose of playoff reality when they are completely exposed.

Solo

If anything I feel bad for Drouin. He's being brought in as the savior, and he may even possess the skill to be that guy, but he's landing on such a middling, confused, treading water, backwards ass organization.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'd LOVE to see you try to spin this offseason as anything other than disastrous.

about as much as defending everything the Canadiens do

- He went out and got a player who could be a legitimate superstar in this league
- Signed the teams MVP and the face of the franchise to an 8 year contract
- Lost out on an UFA where he offered what he could
- Waiting on Markov still
- Decent depth signings
- Working on re-signing AGally

It's July. How is that disastrous? We still need a top 6 center, and preferably an upgrade on defense, but if Markov resigns, that defence is fine. You think he's given up trying to get an upgrade at C? It hasn't been an amazing off season, but calling it disastrous is so hyperbolic. If he doesn't upgrade the team at the center position by training camp, then yea, that's on him and won't be a good sign. It's July, take a deep breath and chill.

imBask

Banned
- He went out and got a player who could be a legitimate superstar in this league
- Signed the teams MVP and the face of the franchise to an 8 year contract
- Waiting on Markov still
- Decent depth signings
- Working on re-signing AGally

It's July. How is that disastrous? We still need a top 6 center, and preferably an upgrade on defense, but if Markov resigns, that defence is fine. You think he's given up trying to get an upgrade at C? It hasn't been an amazing off season, but calling it disastrous is so hyperbolic. If he doesn't upgrade the team at the center position by training camp, then yea, that's on him and won't be a good sign. It's July, take a deep breath and chill.

oh in this situation i'm partially agreeing with you tho, it's not DISASTROUS but i'm not seeing it with your rose tinted glasses. I don't believe in 10.5M goalies and I want Alzner to prove me wrong but that contract sounds stupid as hell

Our offense is still lacking and full of "if"'s and i'm sick of it. If Drouin, if Galchenyuk, if Pacioretty, if Danault, if Plekanec, if Byron, if Hemsky

The reason he's tied up and can't find what he wants is because he keeps overpaying for some players, while refusing to overpay for talents. Shaw, Alzner (previously Emelin), Plekanec. Those contracts are haunting him

Red_Man

oh in this situation i'm partially agreeing with you tho, it's not DISASTROUS but i'm not seeing it with your rose tinted glasses. I don't believe in 10.5M goalies and I want Alzner to prove me wrong but that contract sounds stupid as hell

Our offense is still lacking and full of "if"'s and i'm sick of it. If Drouin, if Galchenyuk, if Pacioretty, if Danault, if Plekanec, if Byron, if Hemsky
This team won their division with Therrien as their coach for the half the season and players like Emelin and Desharnais playing major roles for the majority of the season. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to have a great season with Julien having the reigns from the start, Radulov is a loss, but Drouin counters that loss. If Markov doesn't come back, I'll start to get concerned, and I don't for a second think Bergevin is done modifying this team.

zroid

Banned
I like Bob McCown is criticizing the Marleau contract. Too many people in the media are twisting themselves into knots trying to defend it.

imBask

Banned
This team won their division with Therrien as their coach for the half the season and players like Emelin and Desharnais playing major roles for the majority of the season. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to have a great season with Julien having the reigns from the start, Radulov is a loss, but Drouin counters that loss. If Markov doesn't come back, I'll start to get concerned, and I don't for a second think Bergevin is done modifying this team.

dude stop we won the worst division in the league and got booted in the first round, if that's your end goal i'm glad for you I guess

Red_Man

dude stop we won the worst division in the league and got booted in the first round, if that's your end goal i'm glad for you I guess
Nah but I'm not going to start saying we're a bottom feeder team. Lots of areas for improvement, and lots of time. That's all.

lupinko

Radulov gone makes an already weak offense that much worse. Now they have to resign AGally (good luck mending that bridge), and BargainBin will do his usual "Let's see how this guy does" with Hemsky (and possibly 1 of Grigorenko or Yakupov). They better hope they can get Markov, otherwise they're s'ed in the b.

Grigorenko already signed with a KHL team, so that's not happening. Nail could be following him too.

Yeah, no, that's where we disagree. You don't do those shitty poker moves (all-in! no counteroffer!) with a player with the talent of Radulov. We haven't had a player with his talent in a decade. Now that you find a second one in Drouin, which is the minimum you need to be a contender (two really talented offensive threats), you let the other one go?

We're on a treadmill. Bergevin needs to get the fuck away.

It's also been two summers in a row where Bergevin can't keep the fan favorite in Montreal. From a PR point of view, this is a disaster.

Red_Man

Drouin just posted he'll be wearing #92 this season

Not a fan, and I still want to wait to grab his jersey just in case.

eyeless

i just had a bone chilling thought

we've been assuming as a silver lining there's an outside chance marleau would replace hyman on the matthews-nylander line

but

hyman is a right shot and the only player that's been anchored to matthews no matter what

marleau-matthews-hyman

😟

imBask

Banned
unknown.png

Witness my art

Solo

It's July, take a deep breath and chill.

It's only July guys.

Ah yes, the vaunted September blockbuster. I could be wrong here, but I don't think August and September have historically been gangbusters for mega, franchise-outlook changing trades. In a general sense, depth signings aside, the team you have post-expansion, post-draft, and post-UFA frenzy is pretty close to the team you'll have in October.

Unless BargainBin has the mother of all deals up his sleeve to trade for Tavares, I see our centre depth come opening night being Danault, AGally/Drouin, Plekanec, Mitchell.

And that is a really, really big problem.

Solo

Just how many Habs jerseys do you own anyway?

Well I'm the dumbass who bought a Radulov one this year. And no way no how does Drouin stick with 92, so I'll be waiting to get his.

What should have happened is AGally should switch to 94 this year for a fresh start and Drouin take 27.

Top Bottom