• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Stasis

There's a lot of wishful thinking here. AV is still the head coach. Staal and Holden are in the top 6 unless they're literally physically unable to play. DeAngelo should be in the top 6 but will probably spend most of his time in the press box, assuming he isn't skipped over for Steven Kampfer. Bereglazov is a major X-factor. I don't think he's coming here to fuck around in the AHL, but he'd have to put in a major showing to make the roster cut, and it would likely come at the expense of DeAngelo.

I also feel like I haven't heard a whole lot of positive buzz on Graves recently. I wouldn't be surprised to see Day get a call up before he does. I imagine we'll have to see how Day does in Hartford this year, though.

Definitely wishful thinking. Though I really do believe we're not finishing this season with both of Staal and Holden on the roster unless every single rookie (to the NHL, at least) is bad. I know how AV feels about rookies in general, so having two on the roster at once, let alone the same pairing? Yeah they'd have to be pretty damn amazing.

If anyone can crack the roster early it'll be Bear Gloves though, I feel. He's more of a vet. At least when it comes to pro hockey and playing with men. Whether or not he fits in with AV is a huge (and potentially irritating) question mark. I think it'd also be nice to have another Russian to go with Buchnevich, though he certainly seemed to be fitting in by end of season when we'd see shots of him on the bench laughing it up often.

But yes, Bereglazov has his out-clause so he's not gonna tolerate much, if any, AHL bussing around. Having just won the Gagarin playing top pairing minutes... he'd get a good KHL deal and be welcomed back. Or another NHL team would take him pretty easily and give him a slot I'm sure, if he really wants to play in this league period rather than for specific teams. So I believe JG will at least insist he gets every chance possible. And if Ruff is in charge of D, we'll see his input too. Is Ruff confirmed, by the way? Wikipedia says so but I only see articles saying they WILL hire him, not that it's a done deal.

And I do think Day may get a shot before Graves too, if he has a good showing at camp. That size and speed... Kreider on D. Graves hasn't progressed much, but hasn't regressed either. It's not the McIlrath situation. He's 22 and has better tools/IQ for today's game. I think he does make it eventually, but not now, no.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seems more and more likely Markov won't resign, which is not good news.

I'm saying that BargainBin, in addition to being an awful handler of assets, has completely no idea or vision for how to build the team.

- Can't give Radulov an extra year - gives Shaw term. Shaw.
- Says he doesn't believe in windows - ships off our young franchise defense for Weber and signs Price for max term because the window is shutting quickly
- Says you can't acquire a #1 centre via trade - sits in the foxhole while Seguin, Carter, and Johanssen are traded

Our window is permanently propped open with a flimsy twig that could shatter at any time..
- Giving him another year, plus another $1 M per year to make up the difference would not be worth it. You were complaining for the second half of the season he looked burnt out so you want to go give him the 6-7 years it would take to keep him here?
- Price and Weber are both signed for the next 9 years, Bergevin wanted what Weber offers compared to PK, in his mind there is no window
- What trade chips do we have for a #1 C like any of those guys? You'd have to give up AGally + our best picks and prospects which you would bitch about if he did too. You were all for him moving Sergachev in a trade before the end of the season, he did and got a guy who can be a bonafide superstar in this league.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hmm wonder what the Canucks will look like on opening night:

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Gagner-Sutter-Boeser
Gaunce-Burmistrov-Dorsett

Extras: Megna, Rodin, Boucher, Chaput, Goldobin

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Del Zotto-Gudbranson
Weircioch-Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Looks like a lottery team but the abundance of forwards should give the young guys a shot at the roster.

I'm personally more of a fan of

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

as a first line, but we'll see

Andrighetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Duchene - Yakupov <-- Bust line
Wilson - Compher - Jost
Nieto - Soderberg - Grimaldi
Colborne
Comeau
Zadorov - Johnson
Mironov - Barrie
Bigras - Barberio
Lindholm
Varlamov
Bernier

If Moose sees this I know he's gonna be triggered.

Red_Man

This Dahlin kid is suppose to be a generational D talent right? Expecting some aggressive tanking this season

zroid

Banned
loool

xvn6pbTeTP_YjyuyjMW9mg.png

Red_Man

Pierre is still so salty about not getting the Habs GM job, he might be Solo. On Montreal radio ripping the Habs and drops this gem

Name me one player on Canadiens roster that's like Markus Foligno.

Yes, Pierre, not having a Foligno is what is holding us back.

Red_Man

Went to Hfboards to get some reports on the Habs development camp, I keep forgetting how much of a cesspool that place is, good lord. What a massive pile of shit.

Pierre is still so salty about not getting the Habs GM job, he might be Solo. On Montreal radio ripping the Habs and drops this gem

The fuck? Why would we need Marcus Foligno? The shittier sibling of the better one?

Went to Hfboards to get some reports on the Habs development camp, I keep forgetting how much of a cesspool that place is, good lord. What a massive pile of shit.

Also here's a write up of development camp day two

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2017/7/4/15917784/thoughts-impressions-montreal-canadiens-development-camp-habs-prospects-highlights-scherbak-poehling

Sounds like Jake Evans and Scherbak were the best forwards at camp that day

Quick

Banned

I almost want to peer into the mind of Pierre McGuire just to see how M Foligno would make the team better.

I want answers. Almost. Pretty sure the rest of what he's thinking about involves some weird shit.

oh leafs didn't sign toninato?

woops

@zschneiderKBJR
Former UMD captain Dominic Toninato says he won't be signing with Toronto, will become free agent on August 15.

@zschneiderKBJR
Maple Leafs used all available contracts, Toninato said. That's where talks stalled, couldn't get deal done.

He's a good player.

Real shame.

Red_Man

I almost want to peer into the mind of Pierre McGuire just to see how M Foligno would make the team better.

I want answers. Almost. Pretty sure the rest of what he's thinking about involves some weird shit.
If Pierre was GM over Bergevin, he would have traded Subban to the Oilers for the first round pick, and we'd be stuck with Yakubust on waivers right now.

zroid

Banned
I didn't really expect Toninato to get offered a contract, his numbers never justified it. Wouldn't be suprised if he joins his old buddy Tony Cameranesi with the Marlies and Solar Bears next season anyway.

Stasis

If Pierre was GM over Bergevin, he would have traded Subban to the Oilers for the first round pick, and we'd be stuck with Yakubust on waivers right now.

You mean Nail Yakupov, from the town of Nizhnekamsk who's hockey club was founded in 1968 by workers of the petrochemical plant to represent the town in the Tatar ASSR hockey championship?

Former Blue Jacket, Oiler and Coyote great Gilbert Brule currently plays for that team, you know.

And Rinat Valiyev of the Marlies is from the same town. So was Pavel Valentenko.

/Pierre

Patrik Laine has been training in my city this summer, running where i run sometimes..

what do i say to him if our paths meet? i've never met a living god before.

Solo

Deadline for going to arbitration is 9 hours away. Interesting to see if AGally files or if a deal is imminent.

calder

Patrik Laine has been training in my city this summer, running where i run sometimes..

what do i say to him if our paths meet? i've never met a living god before.

You say "wow, Evgeny Kuznetsov at an AAV of 7.8 million seem pretty steep huh? I would think any rational person would be happier with a number like 7.5 or maybe - even better - 6.9 or something. For 8 years."

calder

Trevor Timmins got a promotion, is now also Assistant GM

Fuck this team

Wow Saulnier and Koberstein were throwing bombs at dev camp this morning though huh.

Is Tony Marinaro on yet? Should listen to him, assuming he talks Habs and not something boring like CFL or tennis or shit like that.

Trevor Timmins got a promotion, is now also Assistant GM

Fuck this team

Here's all the player development personnel changes and additions.

Francis Bouillon-player development coach.
Rob Ramage- director of player development
Martin Lapointe- director of player personnel
Vincent Riendeau- director of goalie development/ scout

THE CUBE RETURNS

Holiday

Banned
The Blues signed Kostin (aka Kovalchuk Reborn) to an entry level deal since his KHL contract was voided. I can't wait to see how he does at the prospect tournament.

Red_Man

I need to recruit a new Habs fan that has a little positivity in their life, this is a battle I can't fight alone.

yyzjohn

Banned
DD_H4gqWsAE78if.jpg

I dunno. Djokovic says PK's his buddy, but he's attached to the white guy in a hug, and leaves ample amount of room from PK.

calder

TSN Hockey @TSNHockey
BREAKING: Edmonton Oilers holding a news conference at 3pm et/1pm mt. Watch it LIVE on TSN2, TSN.ca & TSN GO #TSNHockey

I have to assume it's Chiarelli announcing another extension for Russel and as a result he will be trading Draisitl for picks. Or else something about McDavid.

Top Bottom