• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Parch

So what has happened so far this off season?

1. Vegas shot craps. The had favorable expansion rules but failed to impress. Minor surprise considering the opportunity.
2. Price got paid. So will McDavid. No surprise. The price of elites.
3. UFA defencemen got paid. No surprise. Even mediocre D-men are valuable commodities in today's NHL.
4. Old man Marleau found a sucker to give him 3 years and a NTC. Big surprise. Will he even get 40 points next year?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Nash
Grabner-Miller-Buchnevich
Puempel-Desharnais-Fast
Andersson

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-Holden
DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Pavelec

I imagine we'll see a couple more depth forward signings before the offseason is over since it's not really clear just how many of our AHL guys will be NHL-ready this year (including Lias Andersson), but what appears to be the main squad is now assembled.

Desharnais' contract is $1m, 1 year, by the way.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Andersson might jump straight to the NHL? ��

All reports are that he's going to have a chance to compete for a roster spot in camp this year, and he seemed to impress during development camp last week, for whatever that's worth (not much). I don't expect him to actually make the team, but I do think there's a relatively decent chance to see him in blue at some point this year. Our prospect pool for forwards is crazy thin right now, so he pretty much immediately jumps near the top of the list, unless he proves to be a bust.

Solo

It occurs to me that by losing Radulov, we essentially traded our only top flight D prospect for nothing. Drouin essentially replaces Radulov's offense rather than adding to it. So Drouin in and Radulov out is almost a moot point, and we're out a top D prospect.

ril gud GMing, BargainBin.

It occurs to me that by losing Radulov, we essentially traded our only top flight D prospect for nothing. Drouin essentially replaces Radulov's offense rather than adding to it. So Drouin in and Radulov out is almost a moot point, and we're out a top D prospect.

That may be true for this season, but Drouin is younger than Radulov and COULD end up being a better producer in the long run. Which would be even better if you didn't trade Subban for a dinosaur, no misalignment there...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pressure to stay was put on Kovalchuk by Putin's inner circle. Gold in election year is a huge priority for Russia. Still, he wanted NHL.

So you'd rather we have Sergachev and Radulov still walks away and leaves us with a massive hole on offence?

Montresor

Jesus the glass is half empty with Solo this summer.

Good. Fuck Montreal.

/s

Cake Boss

Banned

And don't forget you might lose Markov, and you signed Price for 8 years and you haven't done anything to address the center position.

Did I forget anything?

Hmm wonder what the Canucks will look like on opening night:

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Gagner-Sutter-Boeser
Gaunce-Burmistrov-Dorsett

Extras: Megna, Rodin, Boucher, Chaput, Goldobin

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Del Zotto-Gudbranson
Weircioch-Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Looks like a lottery team but the abundance of forwards should give the young guys a shot at the roster.

Solo, would you rather have a young, elite forward who has yet hit his prime on your team or a aging Russian,that's still good but, he is on the decline?

I kinda wish Montreal picked up Jagr..instead of Hemsky but that's just me

Cake Boss

Banned
Creeper, would rather have a younger, elite defense prospect who has the potential to be a #1 Dman or a 50 point forward?

I kinda wish Montreal would just go fuck itself...instead of not but that's just me.

Would be cool if we use Methot money for Markock.

They're gonna need $$/cap space to resign a few people in the next few years, not to mention EK.

I don't really mind replacing Methot with Claesson, still have Phaneuf and if Chabot plays well he can take the bottom pairing and give Boucher no reason to play Blowmorewiecki except injuries.

Got Pageau and Dzingel to resign this summer too.

Montresor

Creeper, would rather have a younger, elite defense prospect who has the potential to be a #1 Dman or a 50 point forward?

I kinda wish Montreal would just go fuck itself...instead of not but that's just me.

I'm embarrassing myself trying to stifle my laughter on the train. Lol!

Stasis

Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Nash
Grabner-Miller-Buchnevich
Puempel-Desharnais-Fast
Andersson

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-Holden
DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Pavelec

I imagine we'll see a couple more depth forward signings before the offseason is over since it's not really clear just how many of our AHL guys will be NHL-ready this year (including Lias Andersson), but what appears to be the main squad is now assembled.

Desharnais' contract is $1m, 1 year, by the way.

Yeah. If he sucks in camp and is outplayed he will go the way of the Gerbe and fuck off to Europe I guess.

I give no fucks about it really. Maybe the Habs will want him back at the deadline. Could prolly use those ~30 or so extra points right about now lol.

Edit: Pretty sure one of Holden or Staal with be gone. Staal would be magic and require retention. Also Bereglazov will definitely be on the opening night roster unless terrible in camp and sent back to KHL. So I'd pencil him in on the bottom right next to Staal (likely, sadly) or Holden. Or he'll be a 7th they rotate in. Will be interesting if 2 or more young guys impress enough to get looks. Have to think Graves at least is knocking on the door soon for that bottom left slot. Would love his size and shot down there.

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Graves - Bereglazov
Holden
DeAngelo

Would be pretty damn fun.

imBask

Banned
Gg4jv8v.png

Friend of the thread 19 & 21 wrote PK in hotdogs today

Solo

That may be true for this season, but Drouin is younger than Radulov and COULD end up being a better producer in the long run. Which would be even better if you didn't trade Subban for a dinosaur, no misalignment there...

Oh, I'm not bagging on Drouin. I love the guy and I think he's pretty much instantly our best player and will be for years to come. But Radulov was our best forward this year, and if we'd signed him, we'd have a deadly Top 4 set of wingers in Drouin, Radulov, Pacioretty, and Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Lehkonen.

But instead we let Rads walk so instead of maybe lining Rads and Drouin up together on a fucking lethal line, instead Drouin replaces Radulov, at the cost of our only blue chip defense prospect. That stings hard.

So you'd rather we have Sergachev and Radulov still walks away and leaves us with a massive hole on offence?

I'm saying that BargainBin, in addition to being an awful handler of assets, has completely no idea or vision for how to build the team.

- Can't give Radulov an extra year - gives Shaw term. Shaw.
- Says he doesn't believe in windows - ships off our young franchise defense for Weber and signs Price for max term because the window is shutting quickly
- Says you can't acquire a #1 centre via trade - sits in the foxhole while Seguin, Carter, and Johanssen are traded

Our window is permanently propped open with a flimsy twig that could shatter at any time.

Jesus the glass is half empty with Solo this summer.

Good. Fuck Montreal.

/s

Most pessimistic Ive been about the team since Bergevin took over. 5 years now into it and his 5 year plan seemed to be to wait 5 years and come up with another 5 year plan.

Parch

Letting Radulov walk hurts. Habs got lucky finding that level of intense production but now when they have to pay for it, they don't. Too costly to keep I suppose, but that's a tough loss.

zroid

Banned
you have to look more deeply than the counting stats to see Burakovsky's value. he gets only the 8th most average PP time among Caps forwards (half as much as MoJo!). He only played 13 minutes per game last season in all situations.

he scored 0.55 Pts/gm last year despite almost all of his points coming at 5v5 due to minimal PP time, and getting relatively little ice time overall.

the Caps probably should have bet on him more with longer term and slightly more AAV, but their cap situation is a disaster so the bridge deal is understandable. it's likely Bura makes them regret it after a couple years though.

Dimitri Filipovic had a tweet about how the Caps kinda screwed themselves by giving Oshie all that money, when it would have been wiser to lock up Bura for a lower cap hit, and he probably would have been much more productive than Oshie if given his role. I have to agree.

you have to look more deeply than the counting stats to see Burakovsky's value. he gets only the 8th most average PP time among Caps forwards (half as much as MoJo!). He only played 13 minutes per game last season in all situations.

he scored 0.55 Pts/gm last year despite almost all of his points coming at 5v5 due to minimal PP time, and getting relatively little ice time overall.

the Caps probably should have bet on him more with longer term and slightly more AAV, but their cap situation is a disaster so the bridge deal is understandable. it's likely Bura makes them regret it after a couple years though.

Dimitri Filipovic had a tweet about how the Caps kinda screwed themselves by giving Oshie all that money, when it would have been wiser to lock up Bura for a lower cap hit, and he probably would have been much more productive than Oshie if given his role. I have to agree.

Perfect summer for me would have been leaving Mojo unprotected and going 4-4-1 in the expansion draft, which meant keeping Schmidt.

Instead we lost Mojo and Schmidt for nothing that will help us now.

Oh and Oshie won't shoot 23% this season.

;_;

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh leafs didn't sign toninato?

woops

@zschneiderKBJR
Former UMD captain Dominic Toninato says he won't be signing with Toronto, will become free agent on August 15.

@zschneiderKBJR
Maple Leafs used all available contracts, Toninato said. That's where talks stalled, couldn't get deal done.

Stasis

Kinda wish we still had Gerbe somewhere. Just to see Gerbe-DD-Zucc at least once in training camp or something lol.

And I agree with Red. DD ain't lasting on our 4th. We'll get someone else or he'll rotate in for an injury if he's in the system. From Lindberg to DD? Fast is crying himself to sleep tonight.

Sadly I think we may see him on the 3rd for a bit.

edit: If we can't find anything else, I'd try to get Lindberg back. I'd offer a 2nd if needed... Vegas seems to give players away for whatever picks. They would probably like this, unless they're really psyched to have him for a long time. =/

It's not ideal either but Lindberg can slot up to 3rd if we need it. And maybe Andersson is ready to try the 4th by then. Bottom six would survive with some mix of Vesey, Lindberg, Grabner, Fast, Puemple, Andersson I'm pretty sure. Then we can try to get someone higher up before the playoffs if we've had a good season and feel competitive.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. If he sucks in camp and is outplayed he will go the way of the Gerbe and fuck off to Europe I guess.

I give no fucks about it really. Maybe the Habs will want him back at the deadline. Could prolly use those ~30 or so extra points right about now lol.

Edit: Pretty sure one of Holden or Staal with be gone. Staal would be magic and require retention. Also Bereglazov will definitely be on the opening night roster unless terrible in camp and sent back to KHL. So I'd pencil him in on the bottom right next to Staal (likely, sadly) or Holden. Or he'll be a 7th they rotate in. Will be interesting if 2 or more young guys impress enough to get looks. Have to think Graves at least is knocking on the door soon for that bottom left slot. Would love his size and shot down there.

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Graves - Bereglazov
Holden
DeAngelo

Would be pretty damn fun.

There's a lot of wishful thinking here. AV is still the head coach. Staal and Holden are in the top 6 unless they're literally physically unable to play. DeAngelo should be in the top 6 but will probably spend most of his time in the press box, assuming he isn't skipped over for Steven Kampfer. Bereglazov is a major X-factor. I don't think he's coming here to fuck around in the AHL, but he'd have to put in a major showing to make the roster cut, and it would likely come at the expense of DeAngelo.

I also feel like I haven't heard a whole lot of positive buzz on Graves recently. I wouldn't be surprised to see Day get a call up before he does. I imagine we'll have to see how Day does in Hartford this year, though.

Top Bottom