• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Solo

Trevor Timmins got a promotion, is now also Assistant GM

Fuck this team

Potential silver lining though....someonme else has to draft now. I'd have to think that almost anyone could do it better than Timmins.

I need to recruit a new Habs fan that has a little positivity in their life, this is a battle I can't fight alone.

Here's a novel idea....if the Habs want me to be positive about the team, and I'm not talking about the type of positivity that some of you spin doctors have perfected......then they need to improve the team, both on the ice and in key management positions.

The problems with the Habs trickle down from the very top. First, Geoff Molson is only interested in selling beer, merchandise, and selling out the Bell Centre. And, okay, fine, he's the owner so that's his prerogative, but he's FAR too involved in running the team for a guy who doesn't care about trying to build a contender. Habs owners in the past have appointed a President, who is the first link in the chain to building a winner. Instead Molson is acting in that role himself, and it's ruining the team. From there you can look next down the line at our trash GM Bergevin (who I won't waste the time ripping again, aside from to say he hired Michel Therrien, extended Michel Therrien, and hasn't landed a top 6 centre in 5 years), our garbage drafting/scouting department (who has 0 surefire offensive prospects and 0 surefire defensive prospects? The Montreal Canadiens!), our atrocious farm system (if ever we drafted a surefire player, Lefebrve would screw up their development royally), and finally our laughably bad player development system, rounded out by a bunch of former Habs players who are too concussed to do the job.

And that's even before I get to the on ice clusterfuck of a team......

The Habs organization is the perfect example of an old boys club, and they'll never win anything until the culture changes at the very top levels.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The problems with the Habs trickle down from the very top. First, Geoff Molson is only interested in selling beer, merchandise, and selling out the Bell Centre. And, okay, fine, he's the owner so that's his prerogative, but he's FAR too involved in running the team for a guy who doesn't care about trying to build a contender.
If this was remotely true, he wouldn't have OKed the Subban trade, the biggest star this team has had in a decade and surely one of the teams biggest revenue agents.

Solo

If this was remotely true, he wouldn't have OKed the Subban trade, the biggest star this team has had in a decade and surely one of the teams biggest revenue agents.

I'm suggesting that Molson maybe doesn't know shit about hockey, or;
is perhaps the driving force behind the "culture"/no fun allowed crap in Montreal, or;
is surrounded buy an inner circle of incompetent buffoons (see: video of Boston's inner workings leading up to dealing Seguin), or;
realizes that the Bell Centre has sold out every game since 2004 regardless of the team he ices; or
all of the above

Stick to beer, Howard Ballard Geoff Molson.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Or maybe he trusts Bergevin to do his job, and lets him be 🤷🏻*♂️

You say "wow, Evgeny Kuznetsov at an AAV of 7.8 million seem pretty steep huh? I would think any rational person would be happier with a number like 7.5 or maybe - even better - 6.9 or something. For 8 years."

wtf... who can memorize that

i will just ask if we can have a staring contest, celebs always lose against me. also i need his PSN ID.

Solo

If that's true, the circle is complete and we are back to discussing the baffling tenure of Marc Bergevin.

I'd just like one BargainBin supporter to explain to me his vision? Because when he arrived he spouted off that it was all about building through the draft, but 5 years later we've traded any decent talent we've drafted, so......what's he doing?

calder

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Sounds like original @FriedgeHNIC reporting of 13.25m/yr for McDavid was accurate at the time, but the # he settled on may be lower.

I'll guess he comes in a bit under 13, maybe 12.25 instead, so whiny fans can stop pre-blaming him for shitty roster construction when the Oilers don't win the Cup next year.

Haha, just kidding, they'll blame him anyway.

imBask

Banned
If that's true, the circle is complete and we are back to discussing the baffling tenure of Marc Bergevin.

I'd just like one BargainBin supporter to explain to me his vision? Because when he arrived he spouted off that it was all about building through the draft, but 5 years later we've traded any decent talent we've drafted, so......what's he doing?

"drafting is hard" would probably be his answer

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
1) The Rangers are signing contracts for reasonable prices.
2) The Rangers are signing contracts for reasonable terms.
3) The Rangers are announcing contract details to the public.

It's been a very strange week.

Solo

Damn, I didn't realize that Carey Price is tied with Kane and Toews for the highest AAV in history during the cap era.

That's going to change in 40 minutes with McDavid, but still :/

Socreges

Banned
These dudes barely have a high school education and get hit in the head for a living, and you expect me to believe they wright these well thought out 2000 articles?

At least have it "Written by a professional writer while hockey player recites to him his experiences"
Two sentences in and:

It’s funny — before that moment, when Hagelin put in his empty-netter, I swear: I felt like I could play all summer.
This was not written by a professional.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Bob McKenzie‏ Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 3m 3 minutes ago
Replying to @TSNBobMcKenzie @EdmontonOilers

Original deal was expected to be $13.25M but hearing McDavid wasn't comfortable with the number and may have insisted on lowering it...
Connor McDavid even does management's job better than they do.

Silexx

So McDavid get $12.25mil AAV because apparently Connor was like "$13.25? Way too high, I don't know what to do with that kind of money! Let's bring it down a notch."

Parch

Perfect. Worth every penny. That price is good and that term is great.
Connor is making a big statement with that contract. He wants to win, and he wants to win in Edmonton.

calder

McDavid sounds spooked, hahaha
DD_mlZxV0AAzUS0.jpg

*three fast blinks*
*three slow blinks*
*three fast blinks*

Parch

12.25 is a nice bargain, can't wait to see how Chiarelli squanders that extra bit of cap space.
The Eberle and Pouliot dumps were to protect against Draisaitl offers. They can match any offer sheet now.

Main mission: Sign McDavid long term. Mission accomplished with 100% success rate.
Secondary mission: Sign Draisaitl long term. Ongoing. Results pending.

yyzjohn

Banned
lol what a team-first, win loving, good leader of men he is

He also has a responsibility to the players association and making sure the top salaries increase. He's the best player in the game and his salary sets the standard for the next few years. Who among us would have taken way less so the team could build around him? "No I'm good, just give me 6 million so you can build the best team possible!" The world doesn't work like that.

Solo

You know, just once in my life I'd love to see a top player in the NHL not toe the company line, and not be a predictable, safe, boring corporate cog and not sign long term with the team that drafted them.

Like, McDavid is from Ontario, so he was probably a Leafs fan growing up. Fuck the Leafs, but still, I'd love to see him say "my dream was always to play for the Leafs, so I'll give you 7 years of service Edmonton til I hit UFA, and I'll give you everything I have in that time to try to win a cup, but then I'm going to do what I always dreamed of."

Instead it's the no fun allowed league where Tavares will sign for 8 years in Long Island because that's just what you do.

Holiday

Banned
He also has a responsibility to the players association and making sure the top salaries increase. He's the best player in the game and his salary sets the standard for the next few years. Who among us would have taken way less so the team could build around him? "No I'm good, just give me 6 million so you can build the best team possible!" The world doesn't work like that.
I agree. I was just joking about him taking a small discount meaning anything beyond he has to save Chiarelli's butt.

Solo

Yeah, the "good guy Connor" spin should be pretty hilarious. He's still making $2M more AAV than anyone else in the league.

Solo

I must give Chiarelli credit thiough.....he's usually one of the biggest dumbass GMs, but leaking that $13.25M figure and then signing him at $12.5M is a PR coup. Very shrewd.

Solo

Why didn't he leak that it was 14.5 then?

People aren't that gullible to believe CANADIAN HERO CONNOR MCDAVE left $2M AAV ($16M total) on the table.

$750K AAV ($6M total) is more palatable/believable within the "nice guy Connor" narrative.

Top Bottom