• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni 2 announced for the PS4 - "PS4 Console Debut", Level-5 Pub/NB for West

Status
Not open for further replies.
it will probably be reminiscent of the world but like maybe more modernized/inhabited locales, like a more colonized desert palace (forgot the name) where it's more modernized and has motor vehicles or something and the port expanded or something

Begaria

Heh, it doesn't have to be the *exact* world that Ni no Kuni was set in. Little spoilery from the post game in Ni no Kuni 1, but it was explained that there are many, many parallel worlds. It could be set in a different, alternate world that has similarities to the world from Ni no Kuni.

Juanfp

1449580081-nnk-gif-2.gif

Evan hair looks like it is a wig

Exentryk

Heh, it doesn't have to be the *exact* world that Ni no Kuni was set in. Little spoilery from the post game in Ni no Kuni 1, but it was explained that there are many, many parallel worlds. It could be set in a different, alternate world that has similarities to the world from Ni no Kuni.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Conductor. Sounds good.

Shin-Ra

I'm surprised it wasn't in this week's mags. Maybe they didn't trust them to keep it secret before the PSX reveal.

Pandacon

Ni No Kuni was flawed, but it was one of my favorite JRPGs of last gen, and I'm very much looking forward to the second game. The trailer gave me all kinds of feels.

Lemondish

So I see that they'll be adding the first to PS Now in Japan. Any idea if they'll do the same in North America? I want to replay this so badly but I don't have a PS3 any longer :-(

So I see that they'll be adding the first to PS Now in Japan. Any idea if they'll do the same in North America? I want to replay this so badly but I don't have a PS3 any longer :-(

The best anyone can do at this stage is make an educated guess. I don't see why they wouldn't add it to PS Now at some point.

Even better though, I could feasibly see it being remastered for the PS4 at some time in the forseeable future.

silva1991

Replaying the game after 3 years and I just got the mornstar and went back to open the purple chest in the first dungeon and I couldn't open it because I haven't unlocked the full power of the new wand.

FUCK.

I have to say the flaming dinosaur boss was the hardest boss so far.

jiggle

I'm still getting over these screenshots.

Interesting thing to note is the characters' eyes have lighter AA applied than the rest.
Couple scenes looked legit handdrawn
Even if they turn out to be prerendered cutscenes
Still a wonderful job mimicking that look

Joey Ravn

Banned
"Console debut" doesn't really allude to it coming to PC but rather another console at a later date. The NX is a good bet, seeing as how the first game also came out on the DS.

I really hope the "debut" thing doesn't rule out a PC release, though. It doesn't need to be day-and-day with the console version either. I can see why Level 5 may not want to bring the game to Xbone (since it's really not the prefered platform for JRPGs), but there's nothing to lose and a lot to win in bringing the game to PC.

Durante

"Console debut" doesn't really allude to it coming to PC but rather another console at a later date. The NX is a good bet, seeing as how the first game also came out on the DS.
We don't really know that, do we?

"Console debut" has even been used for games which were already on PC, and also ones which launched on PC day-and-date.

It simply doesn't make any statement about the possibility of a PC release, merely that a given game will release on one console first.

I really hope the "debut" thing doesn't rule out a PC release, though. It doesn't need to be day-and-day with the console version either. I can see why Level 5 may not want to bring the game to Xbone (since it's really not the prefered platform for JRPGs), but there's nothing to lose and a lot to win in bringing the game to PC.

We don't really know that, do we?

"Console debut" has even been used for games which were already on PC, and also ones which launched on PC day-and-date.

It simply doesn't make any statement about the possibility of a PC release, merely that a given game will release on one console first.

When you combine the fact that the "Console exclusive" wording wasn't used for this particular game (unlike a lot of others at PSX) along with Level-5's non-existent support of the PC platform, I really wouldn't hold my breath for a PC port.

Valonquar

Maybe they'll anounce the 1st one on PS4 as well. Bought it digitally on PS3, but the PS3 is collecting dust and I can't be bother to power it up lol.

Eolz

When you combine the fact that the "Console exclusive" wording wasn't used for this particular game (unlike a lot of others at PSX) along with Level-5's non-existent support of the PC platform, I really wouldn't hold my breath for a PC port.

There's obviously a big chance that it's coming to NX, but I woukdn't rule out a PC version, especially since Namco is the publisher.
More chances to happen than an X1 version imo (I'm obviously just talking about this game, not generally).

There's obviously a big chance that it's coming to NX, but I woukdn't rule out a PC version, especially since Namco is the publisher.
More chances to happen than an X1 version imo (I'm obviously just talking about this game, not generally).

Namco only publishes in the west tho. If it was internally developed NNK1 probably would have been on PC a long time ago.

Who knows doe. Japanese developers are pretty open to Steam nowdays.

This is mostly how I feel about it too. Fallout 4, Uncharted 4, MGS 5, Driveclub. None of those pushed me into buying a PS4. Ni No Kuni II did it though. Cannot wait.
how-dare-you.gif

So, is there any hints on whether this is a 2016 or 2017 game? Since we did not see the date nor a full gameplay video, I'm presuming it'll be a 2017 title. The fact that Level 5 said they have a much bigger budget this time around hopefully means we will see a ton of variety in attack moves and familiar evolutions looking noticeably different. I don't know if 2016 can handle another big jRPG with Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, and Dragon Quest XI all coming next year.

Eolz

Wouldn't be before fall 2016 at best, but it seems soon and both Sony and L5 probably want to avoid the big hitters next fall, like DQXI and FFXV.

Namco only publishes in the west tho. If it was internally developed NNK1 probably would have been on PC a long time ago.

Who knows doe. Japanese developers are pretty open to Steam nowdays.

The main difference is that the PS3 architecture doesn't exist anymore, and who knows, it's probably an UE4 game like any big JP game lately.
Namco can easily push them to make a port or ask one of their PC teams to do it.

Eolz

The console debut is PS4, does anyone reckon this will be released on XB1? I reckon it would sell loads.

It could, but as said above, it's probably the third choice for this game (after NX and PC). It wouldn't sell loads. Unlike last gen, MS didn't push to have JP ports, and this crowd went to the PS4. Japanese games are not selling well at all on X1, and it's more niche than others. There's a reason FF and KH are on X1, because they're big recognizable IPs.

Any chance we get some new details at Jump Festa?

I doubt it.

can anyone confirm and/or deny the presence of Mr. Drippy?

If I understood him correctly, Brad said on the 12/8 Bombcast that someone (from Sony? it was "official") tweeted that Mr Drippy would return. That's about the best I can do without going back and finding the name of the person he referenced.

Edit - here it is, not as official but I guess it's something:

vDkNtXA.png

Any chance we get some new details at Jump Festa?

At this point I expect focus on western events for this title. I was a bit shocked when they had english dub trailer and JP trailer was only subbed. Some other JRPG titles have also been heavily western event focused like FF7R and KH3. That's where the audience is.

I'm looking foreward to hearing more at E3 2016 hopefully.

If I understood him correctly, Brad said on the 12/8 Bombcast that someone (from Sony? it was "official") tweeted that Mr Drippy would return. That's about the best I can do without going back and finding the name of the person he referenced.

Edit - here it is, not as official but I guess it's something:

vDkNtXA.png
Hmmm

Shin-Ra

Couple scenes looked legit handdrawn
Even if they turn out to be prerendered cutscenes
Still a wonderful job mimicking that look
Image quality actually doesn't look that far-fetched following Tearaway | Unfolded, especially if you watch though the trailer which reveals more shimmering. But really, I'd be over the moon if it turns out this polished.

It's the super clean shadows, depth of field and motion blur that takes the rendering quality into holy-shit territory.

salromano

Y U do dis to me Level 5? ;-;

Pls be at Gamescom

Why you do this, Napalm Frank? Making me think I'd find some sort of update in here.

It'll probably be at Level-5's next Level-5 Vision press conference, which it held in April last year, but in August in 2013 (they didn't have one in 2014). Akihiro Hino (CEO) already confirmed there'd be one this year.

Why you do this, Napalm Frank? Making me think I'd find some sort of update in here.

It'll probably be at Level-5's next Level-5 Vision press conference, which it held in April last year, but in August in 2013 (they didn't have one in 2014). Akihiro Hino (CEO) already confirmed there'd be one this year.

Nicee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom