• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

convo

The pure shock reveal at E3 and now this demo.

A higher budget sequel was beyond a dream, and yet here we are! ;_;

Yeah i actually would have liked if Taro showed less of his hand during previews and trailers . But i guess the first Nier intro was just spoilers through and through. People who only go by the demo worry to much about Yoko Taro not bringing what he usually does.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How do I get the robo to knock away me trying to perv on 2B's panties?

So many nuances. I didn't even know you could throw your foes into the air. How did you do that large jump at the end? Something with R2, right?

Jiraiza

So many nuances. I didn't even know you could throw your foes into the air. How did you do that large jump at the end? Something with R2, right?

Jump + dash + heavy with the large sword. You can make it go farther if you cancel the attack animation with a second jump ala this.

Needlecrash

I only played a few minutes of the demo but I really liked it. I didn't like the original Nier at all but this one seems pretty enjoyable to play. I'll get it on PC instead of console.

Go_Ly_Dow

So now that the demo is out, what people are expecting in terms of sales figres/review scores?

Higher sales than NieR worldwide by a fair margin, a success on Steam as long as they do a good port job.

Metacritic around 75, mainly due to dissatisfaction towards the visuals and gameplay systems. Not shiny enough etc...

DigSCCP

Not going to lie the demo didnt click for me.
Hype is a bitch.
I didnt play the first Nier and after all the hype upon the first title and the higher hype with Platinum coming to fix what was told to be the first Nier biggest problem I went full hype mode for this.
Maybe its my fault, I was expecting something else, I really dont know.
Im not saying its a bad game, cuz of course its not but while I was playing the only thing that came to my mind was "all that hype for this?"....
Well Im going to wait for some reviews and probably a price drop before I jump in.
I ll sure give it a try but the game sure went out from my "Q1 2017 is gonna be dope, dont know where Im gonna find time and money for all this" list.

Celeras

Banned
Doh.

TUPtqWS.gif

That looks cool. All I did the entire demo was hold down R1 and mash square.

Eventually I learned to mash R2 when I let go of R1.

Yo what if Drakengard 4 developed by Platinum Games, using all their Starfox Zero experience, except the game uses a normal control scheme and not the stupid WiiU pad.

fvng

so the american black box edition of Nier has a figurine that's 6 inches? six inches?? $180? I think Japan is getting a novel and a script? $180 seems a bit much for the limited amount of items being included. $180 would be a decent value if they added a few more things, and knowing Square Enix that art book is going to be about 7 inches height with a few dozen pages.

trying to get as much retweets as possible on this, hopefully apply enough pressure to get the concert dvd included in the very least, since i know translating the nier novel might be too much of an effort. https://twitter.com/fvng/status/812632065548152832

Hektor

so the american black box edition of Nier has a figurine that's 6 inches? six inches?? $180? How about including the live nier concert dvd that Japan is getting? I think Japan is a novel and a script? $180 seems a bit much for the limited amount of items being included. $180 would be a decent value if they added a few more things, and knowing Square Enix that art book is going to be about 7 inches height with a few dozen pages.

trying to get as much retweets as possible on this, hopefully apply enough pressure to get the concert dvd included in the very least, since i know translating the nier novel might be too much of an effort.

https://twitter.com/fvng/status/812626816859013120

But it does include the Concert Blu-Ray:
Original Soundtrack featuring 13 live recorded songs from NIER and NieR: Automata™

At least i'm pretty sure that's supposed to be it, given the track count.

And instead of the Nier Novelization we're getting that small artbook.

fvng

But it does include the Concert Blu-Ray:
Original Soundtrack featuring 13 live recorded songs from NIER and NieR: Automata™

And instead of the Nier Novelization we're getting that small artbook.

Is it confirmed that Japan has a CD as opposed to a video dvd of a concert? I got the impression it was a live concert DVD

Also, they're getting the novel and the artbook, we are not getting a nier novel at all. it's not an equivalent value

Hektor

Is it confirmed that Japan has a CD as opposed to a video dvd of a concert? I got the impression it was a live concert DVD

Also, they're getting the novel and the artbook, we are not getting a book at all.

The stand-alone release of the concert you can buy is a Blu-Ray, but the one in the BlB-Edition seems to only be a CD as well.

But yea, you're right about that second part, i thought the artbook was put in as a repalcement for the novel.

fvng

The stand-alone release of the concert you can buy is a Blu-Ray, but the one in the BlB-Edition seems to only be a CD as well.

But yea, you're right about that second part, i thought the artbook was put in as a repalcement for the novel.

Yeah, plus I feel like a six inch figurine is kinda shit for the price... if it was the play arts kai figure, this would have been an easier sell. I saw the black box edition was still available as of the daythis demo was released, which means not everyone bit. I'm sure sales picked up since Thursday, but it's still a terrible value given the price.

the last guardian LE had an amazing box, an art book, and had a huge model/piece of Trico.. for $102...... Compared to a 6inch 2B in Nier Black Box

Gemeanie

The graphic was a rude wake up call to me after spending a full month on FFXV and Yakuza 6, but I appreciate very much 60fps is a priority even on OG PS4.

The controls are solid as always, but I really hate when the camera forces into bird or platformer view. It kills the fun for me when everything is so tiny on the screen.

The final boss was a major letdown. Was expecting to fight the boss's different parts on your way to 9S but instead it was shoot'em up and hackerman.

I think I'll end up buying the game eventually but mostly because of Yoko Taro. Maybe I've grown out of Platinum style combat or maybe it wasn't a good demo to reflect the final product.

Also 2B please stop calling 9S "9 Yes" (Japanese)

miku

Yeah, plus I feel like a six inch figurine is kinda shit for the price... if it was the play arts kai figure, this would have been an easier sell. I saw the black box edition was still available as of the daythis demo was released, which means not everyone bit. I'm sure sales picked up since Thursday, but it's still a terrible value given the price.

the last guardian LE had an amazing box, an art book, and had a huge model/piece of Trico.. for $102...... Compared to a 6inch 2B in Nier Black Box

The black box edition is out of stock/sold out at SE Japan e-store currently

FgPtB27.gif

Yay for secret tech.

Poor robot-san... cant even get up

Transformers Devastation, DMC4 Special Edition and DmC Definitive Edition will scratch the character action itch.
Thanks. You know something, I have to be honest, I have been gaming my entire life and never got around to playing any DMC games. Maybe now is the time. Is God of war similar to this style? I've never played any of those titles either. Merry xmas!

JBwB

I'm not familiar with the Nier series but I do hope there's a lot of enemy variety in the game.

I don't want to be fighting these same type of robots over and over again.

FgPtB27.gif

Yay for secret tech.

What do you mean by secret tech,looks like;

- launcher - air dash heavy
(switch weapon set)
- jump
-air dash
- Downslash - light attack
(switch weapon set)
- jump
- light slash
-air dash
- air dash heavy

Am i missing something here?

I'm not familiar with the Nier series but I do hope there's a lot of enemy variety in the game.

I don't want to be fighting these same type of robots over and over again.

Fighting is a strong word for the demo enemies,they are more like skittles at a bowling alley.

I can't really speak for the quality of the gameplay, as these games couldn't be further from my bread and butter, but man, that was a boring demo. The perspective changes are beyond naff, hit feedback seems weak, evading seems OP, presentation and dialogue are cringe city and the boss battle was seriously underwhelming (aside from the stellar music).

There was also one bit where I couldn't help but roll my eyes. It's where you have to reach your mate on top of the boss. It's clear that you need to traverse the steps, but you can only get onto them from the prescribed opening at the foot of the platform you're on, even though it looks as if you can jump onto the staircase at any point.

However, what hit me most is how visually awful it is. Sure, the art design is interesting, but at a glance, it legitimately looks like Raiden gallivanting around MGS2's Big Shell. Drab and very last-gen with terrible detail-lacking geometry. I hope they've made serious improvements on the demo build.

From someone who's very much a character action game newbie, I pretty much hated it. The OST is baller, though.

I can't really speak for the quality of the gameplay, as these games couldn't be further from my bread and butter, but man, that was a boring demo. The perspective changes are beyond naff, hit feedback seems weak, evading seems OP, presentation and dialogue are cringe city and the boss battle was seriously underwhelming (aside from the stellar music).

???

SaiyanRaoh

I don't know if this has been asked but what are the chances the first one comes to Xbox one BC or at least becomes a voting option? I just bought it in case they did.

This location wasn't fun at all. Nothing about rusted factory screamed out 'get this game'. The fighting was alright but there wasn't anything you couldn't just R2 out of. It's even easier than holding evade in FFXV.

Croash

*Pauses Demo*

Holy shit, okay, the attention to detail went slightly further than what I expected!

Halfway through, that scene with
a flock of birds flying
and the characters talking about it, just for fun I started shooting towards that and
regretted my actions because they started falling one by one! :'( Thanks for turning me into a monster, Yoko Taro!

Nier Automata is very, very fun to play, and people around me unfamiliar with the franchise were hooked within seconds without even playing it. Everything about it is smooth and stylish.

Tried Easy auto chips to see how Platinum made it work, after enjoying playing on Hard with customized controls/HUD. I'm also loving how browsing through all menus is enough to get me excited about how big/interesting the final game might be.

Also glad I played Nier 1 to get those feels with the music at the beginning.

*Goes back to play some more*

As Nier is one of my favourite games of last generation, a sequel that is basically Nier+Metal Gear Rising is basically a godsend to me especially after playing that demo. SE had the two best demos this year with Nier Automata and Dragon Quest builders

How do you do that air launch move ? Thanks

Jiraiza

What do you mean by secret tech,looks like;

- launcher - air dash heavy
(switch weapon set)
- jump
-air dash
- Downslash - light attack
(switch weapon set)
- jump
- light slash
-air dash
- air dash heavy

Am i missing something here?

The bolded is the important part. Also, the only visible jump is the first one.

fvng

The black box edition is out of stock/sold out at SE Japan e-store currently

I'm not surprised given what they included. But I was referring to the NA version not being sold out yet, a few YouTubers said they immediately preordered the Black box edition successfully after playing the demo

I just checked. It's not sold out on US SqEx store

Not going to lie the demo didnt click for me.
Hype is a bitch.
I didnt play the first Nier and after all the hype upon the first title and the higher hype with Platinum coming to fix what was told to be the first Nier biggest problem I went full hype mode for this.
Maybe its my fault, I was expecting something else, I really dont know.
Im not saying its a bad game, cuz of course its not but while I was playing the only thing that came to my mind was "all that hype for this?"....
Well Im going to wait for some reviews and probably a price drop before I jump in.
I ll sure give it a try but the game sure went out from my "Q1 2017 is gonna be dope, dont know where Im gonna find time and money for all this" list.

But what didn't you like?

fvng

I'd love to own one of those magical ps2 capable of running this game
Seriously, do people really remember how ps2 games looked?

I hear this often. I seriously want a steroided out ps2, where can I order them?

I still have my ps2 hooked up I assure anyone ps2 games didn't look as good as Automata. There weren't even any PS2 games that looked as good as Nier and Nier wasn't pushing ps3 hardware specs to the max.

That doesn't mean that ps2 games might have had art styles that stood the test of time (SOTC) but that's entirely different

Top Bottom