• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

farisr

Nostalgia goggles can be really strong/wrong. I remember a couple of weeks ago linking my brother to a gameplay video of the Crash remaster (because I didn't like the way the trailer made the movement look), and he was like"it doesn't look all that different". Linked him to the trailer that did comparisons between the original and the remaster one after the other, and he was shocked at how much worse the original looked compared to his memory of it.

Jiraiza

So 2B is Mikasa huh....

Apc34v2.gif

Could've completed the formula if 9S was Eren.

ZeMMiK

I already liked the art-style but i did not know what game to expect.
I was blown away by the gameplay, the style, the music, so I had a super click with the demo and I'm so happy it is already coming in March.

ZeMMiK

So I'm looking for a cheap copy of Nier on the PS3 and do you think I can find one? There were loads of copies that no one wanted back then but now it seems they have all disappeared and everyone is charging a premium for it. Anyone know where I can get a reasonably cheap copy? Figured it would be easier to ask in here than start another thread or what have you.

are u sure, Nier 1 is totally a different game.... I didn't like it, I do like this demo

fvng

Nostalgia goggles can be really strong/wrong. I remember a couple of weeks ago linking my brother to a gameplay video of the Crash remaster (because I didn't like the way the trailer made the movement look), and he was like"it doesn't look all that different". Linked him to the trailer that did comparisons between the original and the remaster one after the other, and he was shocked at how much worse the original looked compared to his memory of it.

yeah i think people have over inflated views of ps2's graphics, maybe they should try playing it on an OG ps2 instead of pcsx2

are u sure, Nier 1 is totally a different game.... I didn't like it, I do like this demo

let him decide whether he likes it.

So I'm looking for a cheap copy of Nier on the PS3 and do you think I can find one? There were loads of copies that no one wanted back then but now it seems they have all disappeared

It's true, in fact whenever i saw one at gamestop i would buy another one either to give to a friend or to have an extra in my collection in case of a flood #youneverknow

But that's the thing, emotions are not allowed. Doesn't mean they don't feel them.

I actually thought the english dub didn't capture the evolution of her relationship with 9S very well. When she's saying "drop the ma'am", it still sounds robotic, like "it's a waste of time to use it, so don't, only say what's necessary", and 9S replying the way he does could only indicate his personality. Then when she freaks out at the end, it feels like it came out of nowhere.

In japanese, I feel like the way she tells him to drop the "-san" shows a little more emotion, like she's already trying to get closer to him, in her own way. Not to mention the implications of just calling someone by their name in japanese, with no "-san" or using a last name, it shows some level of intimacy you wouldn't for strangers. But "ma'am" can't quite capture that. Not 8-4's fault, it's just the way language works.

By the time 2B has her meltdown after seeing 9S all fucked up, in the japanese version it's very obvious that she was just following orders, not robotic herself. Even when she's cold at first, in japanese she sounded more like a person, in english she sounded like a robot.

Played the english version , still funny how 2B over reacts.

So after enjoying the demo and being sold on the game, is there anything that is needed to know from prior games?

You don't really need to have any previous knowledge. The connections are usually really subtle.

Anyway, Nier is based on the 9/11 incident, and it's Yoko Taro's most grounded game.
The ending where (Vague ending spoilers)
you slaughter defendless children, doom humanity to extinction and erase yourself from existence
it is considered the happy ending.

Drakengard... Let's just say it's weird.
What happened in D1 ending is the reason why Nier world went shit. And that a character named Accord might appear in this one

Also red eyes in a character means problems.

Played the demo...combat is godly as expected! Was surprised by two things: 2Bs personality which was serious and cold, and by how cute the enemy robots were! They're adorable in how they leap towards you. Haven't played any of Taro Yoko's games before but I'm assuming the changing camera angles in the demo were a Yoko signature...it's a neat touch IMO. Looking forward to the full game in March

Izuna

Banned
I don't think it's fair to complain about the dub when it's doing its best to translate the expressions. Whatever cultural difference there is... as this isn't a text-based game that has lip-syncing and timings based on the Japanese version, it would be extremely difficult for them to do anything else.

For myself, I don't see a difference with ma'am and -san. I understand the intention all the same.

A lot of things (like in Chrono Trigger) can't be translated because some expressions don't exist in other languages.

I personally find the English dub good enough that I'd prefer being able to look away from the screen and still listen to what's going on.

IMO, the more Japanese I learn the less I like Japanese VOs. They're not necessarily natural themselves. Anime/game speak is not "realistic" and can sound cringey when you understand it.

Bad English VOs are like Phantasy Star Universe or Blue Dragon.

LotusHD

Banned

People always remember things in HD.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Found a post on tumblr that's not really relevant to any discussion at hand, but I figured I'd share anyway for the curious:

Source with pics
NieR:Automata - Character Illustrations
Since a lot of people were talking about which illustrator worked on individual character designs, I took a closer look at the latest article in Famitsu, and here’s how the designs are currently lining up:

Yoshida Akihiko 吉田明彦 (CyDesignation, Inc.)
—— 2B
—— 9S
—— A2
—— Pod
Itahana Toshiyuki 坂鼻利幸 (Square Enix)
—— Devola / Popola
Nagai Yuuya 永井悠也 (CyDesignation, Inc.)
—— Commander
—— Operator 6O / 21O
—— Adam
—— Eve
—— Pascal

UrbanRats

I liked the Jpn vo more, but i thought the Eng one was perfectly fine, and i usually hate anime eng dubbing and their ultra exaggerated voices.

If he couldn't tell that between a ps1 game and a ps4 games that's not nostalgia goggles that's just straight up not being into games enough to realize how big the gap is. That's just being dumb/being a layman /not thinking.

Like there should be no confusion between a ps1 game and ps4 for anyone playing games even seldomly

Zaventem

Higher sales than NieR worldwide by a fair margin, a success on Steam as long as they do a good port job.

Metacritic around 75, mainly due to dissatisfaction towards the visuals and gameplay systems. Not shiny enough etc...

I think going for 75 is a bit low, even rising hit the 80 mark on all platforms.

specdot

I'm really loving the freedom you get with the evade/dash mechanic. Is anyone using the O button as their dash? I am and it's worked wonders for me. Also, using the bare fists feels incredible.
I hope in the game we'll get a
text adventure dungeon
like in the first Nier. It was at that point in the original game where I was sold on it being one of the most imaginative-rich games I've ever played.

I think going for 75 is a bit low, even rising hit the 80 mark on all platforms.
MGR was a liner action game though. Those are much easier to review than what Nier:A will be. The original Nier was an ugly game filled with fetch quests, with a battle system that was "Decent" at best.
We know, at least, that the battle system is 10000000000000x better thanks to P*s involvement, but if they follow the same template for their overworld (read: bland, flat), and side quests then the game may not review well much like the original.
This is coming from a big fan of Nier 1. I just recognize the game has its faults.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Things I liked about the demo:

1) Nice and fluid combat, appreciate the 60 fps
2) 2B's character model looks and moves great

Things I didn't like:

1) The whole demo focused on the one part of Nier that made me groan almost every time -- combat against those stupid red balls.
2) Real absence of everything I enjoyed about Nier -- the open, natural environments; the leisurely, laid back feel; the character interactions. There was almost complete focus on combat, just moving from one combat arena to the next. Not my style.
3) Environment felt very sterile and mechanical. I know it's part of the setup, but I wouldn't like a game full of that. Feels dreary.
4) Mechs. Never have liked mechs, for some reason.

I think I'm out. Too bad. I like this developer's weirdness.

Things I liked about the demo:

1) Nice and fluid combat, appreciate the 60 fps
2) 2B's character model looks and moves great

Things I didn't like:

1) The whole demo focused on the one part of Nier that made me groan almost every time -- combat against those stupid red balls.
2) Real absence of everything I enjoyed about Nier -- the open, natural environments; the leisurely, laid back feel; the character interactions. There was almost complete focus on combat, just moving from one combat arena to the next. Not my style.
3) Environment felt very sterile and mechanical. I know it's part of the setup, but I wouldn't like a game full of that. Feels dreary.
4) Mechs. Never have liked mechs, for some reason.

I think I'm out. Too bad. I like this developer's weirdness.

On point 2. They do have RPG open world to explore and will be visiting all sorts of locations
maybe even some familiar ones, they said.
I wouldn't rule the game out yet, since this is potentially just the intro for the game. If you actually looked up footage for the game you would see there is some other environments and locations with NPCs to visit. They're just keeping the spoilers on a very tight leash with this game. Don't you remember knowing nothing about Nier until release and playing it? A fresh gaming experience like that is so underrated.

Me playing the demo:

DepKiqD.jpg

I've read this whole thread, and I don't really have anything else to add except to join pretty much everyone else and say that that was a fantastic demo, as expected!

JerkShep

It seems a bit of a step down in complexity and spectacle compared to Bayonetta and even Rising. The mechanics are fine but it needs much more enemy variety because, as it stands, 98% of the enemies are cannon fodder even on Hard with that "press to win" R2 dodge. The bullet hell parts don't add much to the equation either. It's very bare bones, very stripped down experience compared to Platinum's bests. The boss fight at the end was very disappoiting as well. Music is godly though and god bless the 60 FPS.

farisr

If he couldn't tell that between a ps1 game and a ps4 games that's not nostalgia goggles that's just straight up not being into games enough to realize how big the gap is. That's just being dumb/being a layman /not thinking.
Yeah, how about you not call my brother dumb. Thanks. He said it didn't look that different (not that he couldn't recognize the ps4 version was improved) from the getgo. He recognized how massive the upgrade was once he saw them side by side. He hadn't played the old crash games since the ps1. And what I said is the exact definition of nostalgia goggles. He remembered the original looking better than it actually does.

Never heard of this game, so new to everything it had to offer and found myself having fun. Great tutorial video and a good little fast pace game, really fluid. I might pick it up.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I dont understand the complaints abut the dub with B2. It gives its own feeling. The VA of 2B sounds like a model that has emotions but is just attempting to remind herself and 9S to not have emotions. Otherwise she would not recognize them. basically its just lip service to satisfy their own programming. I think it comes across well in both languages, although 2B in Japanese does sound more robotic, i don't think that was necessarily the intention of 2B. She emotes quite a bit when fighting the first buzzsaw enemy for example.

It seems a bit of a step down in complexity and spectacle compared to Bayonetta and even Rising. The mechanics are fine but it needs much more enemy variety because, as it stands, 98% of the enemies are cannon fodder even on Hard with that "press to win" R2 dodge. The bullet hell parts don't add much to the equation either. It's very bare bones, very stripped down experience compared to Platinum's bests. The boss fight at the end was very disappoiting as well. Music is godly though and god bless the 60 FPS.

This isn't a spectacle action game or character action game. Its an action RPG that was developed as a Nier game with Platinum esque combat and better setpiece events.

Labolas

It's been known that it isn't a Character action game. It's an action RPG that caters more towards RPG crowd than it does Character Action fans. Personally though, I think it has more complexity than a standard ARPG.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its like people who think that a action RPG that doesn't have shit combat must be a character action game. KH2 is not a character action game, Souls is not a character action game ect.

Its strange to think about. Does that mean ARPGs have to have shit Witcher tier combat to be considered ARPGS?

Even FF15, as simplistic as the combat system was, was still more fluid than that, but it was still firmly an RPG.

its seems that every criticism of the combat is deflected with "um its a RPG actually its not supposed to be that good", but that's kinda all we have to go on in this demo.

Jeiiya

Just played the demo twice, so yeah, I think I'm in love. I knew I would be, but it's nice to finally touch the gameplay.

JerkShep

This isn't a spectacle action game or character action game. Its an action RPG that was developed as a Nier game with Platinum esque combat and better setpiece events.

I'm judging the demo for now and what the demo offers is a linear level that could be found in any character action game though: combat arenas connected by corridors and some light platforming here and there. There are no RPG elements to experiment with here, nothing that could add depth to the experience. Bear with me, but I'm playing a stripped down version of Rising with a worse boss, no parries, worse enemies and probably even simpler movesets. I can't really get excited about this. If these systems will be well implemented in an actual RPG context in the full game, I'll be there day one, no doubts about it. Considering the names behind it, I expected something a bit more meaty, that's all. I don't even want to sound to negative because what's there is good but it's not much.

Freddo

Huge fan of the original, and enjoyed the demo as expected. The combat doesn't reach the levels of Bayonetta, but close enough! And the music is brilliant as expected.

That said, I do think they chose a poor location for the demo. Don't care much for sterile factory ruins, Junk Heap Factory is the place I like the least in the original, and I doubt it gave many newcomers a nice first impression. Some place green with more life would have been nicer to see, but I guess that would have been too hard to do without going too much into spoiler territory.

But yeah, looking forward to the game and have the BIg Black Box pre-ordered from the SE EU Store :)

Labolas

its seems that every criticism of the combat is deflected with "um its a RPG actually its not supposed to be that good", but that's kinda all we have to go on in this demo.

I argue to say it's good but no where complex as Platinum's best. Not being a complex game doesn't necessarily mean it isn't any good. There are tools to make it more deep than a standard ARPG. Plus, it's fluid and responsive which is something that all games should be if it has this type of gameplay.

Gotta say I loved the music so much for the demo, really reminded me of Ghost in the shell plus some of its ambient music.
The demo really sold me on the game, I never played the original Nier is it worth getting on PS3?

Gorillaz

I liked the demo alot. The change in dimensions is clever but I can see myself getting tired of it after awhile and just want the 3d combat which is fun. Fluid ad hell and I love the parry and reaction system alot. Hoping full game has variety in weapons. Might be there close to launch.

Gator86

What the fuck? I turned the demo on to waste a few minutes before dinner figuring it would be entirely mediocre but loved it. The style is terrific, the changing angles are a great way to keep fights fresh, everything felt smooth and fast, etc. This demo put the full game on my calendar. Looking forward to playing it when it comes out.

You also have a previous game with which to base and temper your expectations upon. The game changes so much , it'd be impossible to have a complex character action combat system here. You got a glimpse of it even within the demo.

SephLuis

The combat is great, but when compared to Platinum other offerings it falls short (as 99.9% of other games). People are comparing to Bayonetta/Rising/DMC and Nier Automata is very, very different from all of those.

I want to believe that it will have some more complexity especially because there's a mode where you cannot be hit. From the demo, we couldn't see the RPG aspect of it which can drastically change how we approach combat.

I doubt it will get to Bayonetta levels of complexity, but the game does not aim to do that. The first Nier used elements from tons of different genres, so I expect Automata to do the same even if the combat suffers a little from it. From the demo we had the 2D perspective battle and the isomeric camera, both which aren't favorable to the combat.

The demo really could have used more RPG-ness to better represent the game and where it shines alongside the base combat, rather than putting it front and center.

I just finished the demo and boy is 2017 going to be an expensive year for me. I loved everything from the simple yet fun and stylish combat that's easy to learn yet hides subtle options to mess around with (Love ya Platinum), to its characters.

I didn't know anything about 2B's personality prior to playing the demo but I'm glad she's a bit cold. I loved Kaine and Zero's personalities too so it'll be neat to see if she lets loose like they do. 9S was different than I was expecting too, but I like him in the role similar to Emil.

Reading through this thread, there's so much neat stuff I missed my first time through. 2B punishes the robot for taking a peek up her dress? Amazing. This went from a soft "meh" to being one of my most anticipated games of next year. Good job Platinum, hopefully this one sells well.

Edit: Also the music is superb, I had to put my headphones in as soon as the battle music kicked in, Okabe continuing to do God's work.

Humdinger

Gold Member
On point 2. They do have RPG open world to explore and will be visiting all sorts of locations
maybe even some familiar ones, they said.
I wouldn't rule the game out yet, since this is potentially just the intro for the game. If you actually looked up footage for the game you would see there is some other environments and locations with NPCs to visit. They're just keeping the spoilers on a very tight leash with this game. Don't you remember knowing nothing about Nier until release and playing it? A fresh gaming experience like that is so underrated.

I'm not crossing it off the list entirely, but I'm definitely taking a couple of steps back. I didn't like the impression the demo gave me. But I'll keep an eye on reviews, I'll watch some game videos. It's not a day one purchase for me, but I'm still curious. One thing I really appreciated about Nier was how much variety there was, how they kept mixing the gameplay up. So there's some hope.

Top Bottom